• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
No vendor. I've read Sony had a project going on with Toshiba which ultimately didn't pan because it was too far behind schedule.
Basically this. And given how late ps3 was to the market in the end, who knows if the part might have actually been viable on that timeline.

Imagine the disaster that would have been, if they didn't come to their senses on that one last minute.
As per above, there were timeline and performance questions that led to the change but it wasn't anything as obvious as cell 'gpu' nonsense. If I were to guess paper spec would have looked a fair bit better for Sony but cross platform challenges would have deepened.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
The xbone S is not absolutely better designed than the PS4 slim. Or at least it's weird call better designed a less perform hardware in a bigger case. It's the double larger .
About the X was released a year later and more priced; I don't think is that fair to compare to a cheaper hardware counterpart released a year early.
Xbox one X is for Xbox what PS4 pro is for PS. A mid gen refresh with more power. Aside the power difference the X is a much better product in terms of cooling and sound production. The internet is full of people complaining about their Pro's sounding like a Jet Engine. It is the reason I did not even buy a pro.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Xbox one X is for Xbox what PS4 pro is for PS. A mid gen refresh with more power. Aside the power difference the X is a much better product in terms of cooling and sound production. The internet is full of people complaining about their Pro's sounding like a Jet Engine. It is the reason I did not even buy a pro.

Hopefully sony took notice of how Microsoft was able to make a powerful box like the Xbox one x and have it be slim, small and silent. Mine during certain games may not get as loud as 2016 release ps4pro's, BUT IT GETS LOUD when you are playing longer than an hour of God of war.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Legitimately laughing at all the takes about how MS probably isn't helping build large portions of their console, and/or how MS isn't a hardware company.

Keep fighting the good right.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that's not how it works. Because let's say...hypothetically Sony and AMD work out a deal that requires Sony buy a specific amount of them as a minimum and then the PS5 underperforms....it hurts Sony's bottom line.

Then to compound the issue, AMD would up the price on the next lot.

Is that a big chance of happening? Probably not, the cost is probably high enough and the price difference low enough not to bother.
Pretty sure that's how it sometimes works, because I work for a company that does exactly that. Will it happen with Sony/AMD? Who knows? Maybe not. Can it happen? Yes.
Sure, because Sony is buying 100 million chips outright to get that decent discount from vendors.
Surely not, because that's not how it works.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm happy that MS created yet another technology packed console. I am excited to see what Sony reveals on the technology front in response.

At the end of day, though, the quantity and quality of the games is all that matters. Sony obviously gets it, and MS has made some really good moves on that front to position themselves for success.

On paper, this might be the best generation ever with two almost equally matched opponents. I know I'm excited.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
I have 2 questions that i was hoping this thread would eventually answer (maybe it did and i missed it)

Did DF get hands on time with the hardware? Trying to figure how they know its more performant then 2019 navi, i read the whole article but it was so much words my mind went blank after awhile lol sorry

Is sony rumored to be using a 2019 navi chip?

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This is not true in these absolute words. Sony does a lot of software nowadays, they have to make their own SDK for Playstation and do a very good job with it, while Microsoft proved that they can do an amazing job in terms of hardware when we look at the Xbox One S and Xbox One X.
The fact that we talk about 10% difference shows how small the gap is and it can go both ways with the performance edge.
Don't forget the Surface line too. Great stuff.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's a much better product because an year later with higher price it's automatic to have it, especially when MS was fully committed to reach such scope. Are people new to how the tech works?
The Pro in the Sony intentions was targeting the lower price possible with such specs differently to the X hardware. That's why is loud and built cheaper.
I don't understand why we need to specify something of so obvious every single time. The fact they are named premium console doesn't nullify the different strategies to the base of the 2 hardwares. I'm not trying to discuss who has the better vision there.

Last edited:

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
It's a much better product because an year later with higher price it's automatic to have it, especially when MS was fully committed to reach such scope. Are people new to how the tech works?
The Pro in the Sony intentions was targeting the lower price possible with such specs differently to the X hardware. That's why is loud and built cheaper.
I don't understand why we need to specify something of so obvious every single time. The fact they are named premium console doesn't nullify the different strategies to the base of the 2 hardwares. I'm not trying to discuss who has the better vision there.
Like a descent cooling solution is only avalaible since 2017?

The delivered the specs with as low possible cost to make as much profit as possible. In that situation they just made a poorly designed console.

It did not even have to be whisper quiet, just descent.
If you have customers having to play with a headset on in order not to hear their overwhelming jet engine consoles the product is flawed.

That has nothing to do with another product that is 100 dollar more expensive and comes out a year later.