• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Human character higher detailed than ever, but contrary to Game Freak's pre release statements the Pokémon models were not reworked.

The whole 3D model thing was debunked.

"But if you look at the actual interview referenced in the post, that's not what the Pokémon studio said, at least according to the translation highlights floating around on the internet right now. The actual text of these highlights state that "balancing for new Pokémon with new abilities has become very hard" and this specific reason is why Game Freak "have judged that it will be hard for all the Pokémon to appear, even in titles going forward." The original article also states that "hardware changes" impacted the graphics quality of Sword and Shield."

Oct 25, 2017
Some older games look amazing emulated with filters and texture packs etc, but it says little about how the games originally looked.
That image of SuMo literally is only uprezzed, everything else is the exact same as the game on the 3DS. This is a thread discussing the graphical performance and appearance of SwSh, yet you're implying that the game should only be compared to SuMo in 240p, not to a game at a similar resolution.

I don't know if SwSh looking, almost literally, like an uprezzed SuMo is more of a fault of SwSh or a testament to the power of releasing two gens on a single system and how it affected SuMo.

The whole 3D model thing was debunked.

"But if you look at the actual interview referenced in the post, that's not what the Pokémon studio said, at least according to the translation highlights floating around on the internet right now. The actual text of these highlights state that "balancing for new Pokémon with new abilities has become very hard" and this specific reason is why Game Freak "have judged that it will be hard for all the Pokémon to appear, even in titles going forward." The original article also states that "hardware changes" impacted the graphics quality of Sword and Shield."

wXUJInT.png

The first link in your quote contradicts the quote itself.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame they don't give GF a bigger budget for these games. It's understandable though being a very niche franchise...

The series is not for nothing often colloquially called Nichémon.

In all seriousness, is this supposed to be the new Niche-Man (Spider-Man) meme? XD

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
In that case it's clear you're not willing to have a genuine discussion about the graphical fidelity of the game, and I think ending this discussion would be more productive for both of us.

Graphical fidelity includes resolution and framerate. An emulated version of a game is a dishonest comparison, but is useful to see what they were doing in terms of assets and lighting shorthand and the difference in materials. Its not a huge step up, but someone claiming 3DS looked better is um...what? I think its also important to note that the 3DS could barely run what it was attempting.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I actually think its ok for pokemon to opt out of the ridiculous graphical arms race plaguing the industry. Its fine. The game looks pleasant enough.(although tbh they should at least be able to match the likes of persona 5/Ni No Kuni)

But at the same time, they are under delivering on almost every other aspect.So it makes you wonder what their priorities are exactly.

The truth is they are so firmly established they won't care unless it affects their profit. Its a business at this point.
Thing is, I would believe most people would totally be willing to give GF a pass if they didn't drop the ball hard in several other aspects of those games, but from what we've seen, the price increase and the sacrifices haven't been worth it, nor have GF made up for those, evidently. It really is a shame, hopefully 9th gen will be much better because I don't have much faith in them doing Sinnoh justice.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I think the games look and perform reasonably for an indie developer working on a niche franchise.

Pretty solid debut for their second on a HD console, especially given only a small amount of content was cut.

Not to mention Dynamaxing is easily the best gimmick in the series since mega evolutions.

Nov 8, 2017
And this is a representative of the biggest media franchise in the world.

Kind of pathetic.

This is kind of what's so mindblowing about it. This is such a huge series but it's clearly had a mid-tier budget attached. I understand that on a micro level they worked within various development constraints, and I'm not going to hold this against any particular developer, but GF as a company needs to either go big on this series or constrain their ambition. Let's Go Evee/ Pikachu looked a little underwhelming sure, but the use of a top-down camera hid most of the blemishes in a way that this game just doesn't. Nobody would have been made if Sword/Shield looked like a gorgeous HD version of a traditional pokemon game - but their desire to widen the scope continuously is simply not matched with the technical capabilities and budget allocated to the task.

Even mid-budget games can look pretty amazing these days thanks to 3rd party engines and middleware. That's a direction I'd strongly recommend - most Japanese devs are jumping onboard this generation.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah all these issues (and the Dex hurts too) is why I'm holding off on getting this game, despite having a desire to play.

Hopefully there's an updated version in a year that fixes these issues.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Wow.

I actually think its ok for pokemon to opt out of the ridiculous graphical arms race plaguing the industry. Its fine. The game looks pleasant enough.(although tbh they should at least be able to match the likes of persona 5/Ni No Kuni)

But at the same time, they are under delivering on almost every other aspect.So it makes you wonder what their priorities are exactly.

The truth is they are so firmly established they won't care unless it affects their profit. Its a business at this point.

I don't have any expectations for Pokémon to suddenly become a graphical powerhouse nor is it what I desire. I still love the look of the sprite based games and most of my favourite games are average looking graphically. This game just doesn't look good even ignoring the technical aspects IMO.

Also yes I could probably deal with this game looking ugly if they actually delivered in other ways.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon doesn't need to be a graphical powerhouse but when you're a franchise that large and you're plagued with constant tech issues that other games by lesser sized franchises dont have, it just makes you look bad.

I mean its fucking POKEMON.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
I'm a couple hours in and think it's fine, nothing special. I just really hope Masuda and Ohmori stay the fuck away from Gen 9. They don't know/care what the fans want and someone else needs to take the helm if Pokemon is ever going to advance.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Even with the cuts, Pokemon Sword/Shield still puts pretty much every other HD JRPG to absolute shame

This cannot be a real quote. My dude I IMPLORE you to branch out and play literally any other JRPG on the Switch. How are are you going to argue this when Xenoblade 2, and Octopath exist on the console? Thats not even getting into literally everything else on there.

Almost every 3rd party game compares poorly to those games, it's a bit unfair to expect that level of fidelity from a Pokemon title.

Blatantly untrue, and we have pages of people SHOWING you otherwise.

Pokemon simply doesn't need to be on that same level of visual fidelity, it just needs to look good enough. And Sword/Shield looks good enough.

We're far from the days where Pokemon games looked a full generation behind their peers; and the days where they ran like absolute turd. Sword/Shield now at least looks like a contemporary Switch title and generally runs well. That's all it needs to do.
It barely does that well. This game is consistently in slapfight battles with Fire Emblem:Three Houses- a game that also looks like runny dogshit in the visualization department. The only difference here is that fans of the games arent deluding themselves over the games presentations. Both of them look like internal beta presentations.
Litetally going neck and neck with bottom of the barrell visuals.

Because it's a huge improvement from where they were previously on 3DS, where they were trading blows with DS titles.

Pokemon also has some unique challenges to deal with, given the vast scope of the series. Just making a game like Pokemon in HD is an enormous challenge; consider the fact that pretty much every single HD JRPG has given up on trying to have interconnected environments, exploration and actual level/dungeon design, then consider that Pokemon has to do this while having 400+ playable characters...

Its really sad for the franchise that it must always be compared to itself in an utter vaacuum to stand even a modicum of a chance, and it fails to even do that when the fucking Battle Sims from almost 17 years ago decimates them in the field of animations and attention to detail and the game they literally released LAST YEAR Lets Go:Pikachu/Eevee blows fat chunks out of SwSh in the visuals department.

It's not like they didn't have over 1,000 people working on Sword/Shield or anything. Guess they must've just been lazy...

Besides the fact that number includes non game development people such as marketing, many of them were contractors and they clearly werent utilized. Once again its a shame Pokemon doesnt get a free pass to only exist in a void because we consistently see 1k team game outputs from all fucking major studios and the results arent fucking SwSh.

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the cuts, Pokemon Sword/Shield still puts pretty much every other HD JRPG to absolute shame when it comes to content and scope.
SwSh probably isn't even in the top 10 JRPGs in terms of content and scale.
That's not most of them, that's some. They do not represent the average Switch game and it's quite frankly unfair to expect that level of visual fidelity from a developer that has previously focused on Nintendo handhelds; especially given the kind of game that Pokemon is.
b33cbce6-25-highest-grossing-media-franchises-all-time-4_thumb.png

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
The transition to 3D is the worst thing that ever happened to Pokemon. The 2D games may have not been impressive but they always felt like polished products. These 3D games look mediocre at best and are somehow really janky. Pokemon either needs to go big or return to it's previous scope cause this ain't working.

GF used to be one of the best 2D games developers out there, Gen 3 looked soo good on the GBA and was really impressive, when they switched to 3d nothing was impressive except maybe the 3D models of pokemons when Gen 6 came out but that's about it.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
In retrospect, the main issue with Gamefreak developing Sword and Shield definitely looks to be the exact same one the Square Enix encountered developing Final Fantasy 13 - that they severely underestimated how difficult and time-consuming HD development is - and as such, in order to ship the game, massive compromises had to be made to the game's quality.

It feels like the series, after Sword and Shield, is at breaking point - that if Gamefreak and TPCI decide to continue with yearly releases now that all of their games must be developed for a HD console, then it's just a matter of time before we get a Sonic 06-level disaster.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
So...what's up with the development of these games?

It can't just be incompetence. They have the resources to hire the best and brightest to work on this game. Is it greed? Nepotism? Is this a Telltale situation, or have they gotten complacent?

Whatever it is, it's clear that someone on top isn't reinvesting the billions made off this IP back into what made them popular in the first place.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So...what's up with the development of these games?

It can't just be incompetence. They have the resources to hire the best and brightest to work on this game. Is it greed? Nepotism? Is this a Telltale situation, or have they gotten complacent?

Whatever it is, it's clear that someone on top isn't reinvesting the billions made off this IP back into what made them popular in the first place.

-Yearly releases meaning unrealistic schedules for development (SWSH was in concept stage for 1 year and production for 2)
-GameFreak historically has struggled to adapt to new hardware, even back on the original Game Boy
-GameFreak is fairly conservative about not expanding their staff and they hold 1/3 of the shares in Pokemon
-Masuda and the other top brass of GameFreak have probably gotten complacent

When your game is destined to sell 15 million no matter what, why delay it a year and hire more staff?

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, after playing the games they really feel like a strange mid way point between a major console game and a 3DS game.

It's bizarre.

Nov 13, 2017
Is there anyone else who doesn't seem to have the FPS drops at all? I keep hearing about them, but so far I have not experienced any, and I am 6 gyms in. Are they extremely noticeable even to someone who is not too observant of these things. My wild area has been just like anywhere else in the game. Genuinely curious.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm not obsessed with graphics or anything, but some of the excuses in this thread are just a little mind boggling. The game looks worse than the latest entries in the Sen no Kiseki series, which is more or less a PS3 game on PS4, made by a team of less than one hundred people targeting maybe 200k sales at most.

Game Freak should be able to do better. The should have the resources to do better, the man power to do better, and the talent to do better. Surely many talented people would love to put Pokemon on their resume. How exactly does a Sword Shield situation happen?

So what?

Why would you compare it with other switch games. Its the best looking pokemon game, and I'm enjoying it way more than the last 3 gens. They improved on so many things, and a lot of people i know that haven't played
pokemon in years are enjoying it as well, and are surprised by the improvements they made. The excessive complaints and the criticism only exist on the internet it seems. Going into this game the internet made it seem like its worst game ever just because of the whole dex cut.

Looking at the long lines at GameStop midnight release tells me the majority of people didn't care. Im glad people didn't care by the outrage and the bandwagon hate on this game. Im not dismissing any criticism, but it was really overblown, and if you dont like whats being presented simply don't buy the game.

Is it though? The 3DS games might technically have less polygons, etc etc, but they make better use of the 3D hardware, environments, etc. than this game does. It's on more powerful hardware, and there are polishes that come with that, but it isn't able to realize its art direction.

yes? that's how we played the game

This is relevant to discussing the power of the 3DS, not what's on the cart for S/M and S/S.

Last edited:

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Ohmori and masuda should stay out , ohmori is masuda 2.0, huge disappointment. Bring Morimoto back as director

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyone else who doesn't seem to have the FPS drops at all? I keep hearing about them, but so far I have not experienced any, and I am 6 gyms in. Are they extremely noticeable even to someone who is not too observant of these things. My wild area has been just like anywhere else in the game. Genuinely curious.
Are you connected to the internet?

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Uh... Morimoto or whoever you choose as director won't change the amount of dev time they have. That's something The Pokémon Company controls.
You should read morimoto's interviews for the gen 4 games. He has a completely opposite mindset than masuda and ohmori, I bet that's the reason he is not given the director position for 3 gen straight. He will definitely bring improvement.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
First one I noticed was the hard cutoff of the focus blur on the route sides. And of course the complete lack of anti-aliasing. And the frame rate seems to fluctuate sometimes.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It's time people stop giving the series a pass on production values and visuals. Should be far better considering the franchise.

The problem goes beyond giving a pass.
The problem is when people are actually praising the game for its visuals when it's basically a glorified hi res 3DS games, with slightly better textures and effects.

Now of course, it doesn't mean one cant enjoy the games. It doesn't mean it ruins them either. And I still think that people who still want a Pokemon with decent production values should just give up and deal with the fact that it's not a game for them. But on the other hand... Sorry, it looks bad. When I say bad, I mean to say it's not even in the standards of PS360 titles. We're in the league of a 3DS/Wii title in HD. And I think it's also fair to criticize the serie for that.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
The problem is when people are actually praising the game for its visuals when it's basically a glorified hi res 3DS games, with slightly better textures and effects.

Now of course, it doesn't mean one cant enjoy the games. It doesn't mean it ruins them either. And I still think that people who still want a Pokemon with decent production values should just give up and deal with the fact that it's not a game for them. But on the other hand... Sorry, it looks bad. When I say bad, I mean to say it's not even in the standards of PS360 titles. We're in the league of a 3DS/Wii title in HD. And I think it's also fair to criticize the serie for that.

I agree. Does it make the game bad and un-fun, no, but we should hold them to a much higher standard. If this were some small series I'd cut them more slack, but it's Pokemon!

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018

Poke'mon fans are the solution to which they are the problem. People still will buy the games and have their fun, even if the games are not revolutionary. They're basically junk food. And shit, I'm stuck in the same boat. I usually buy them too. And am never satisfied at the end. Just like with junk food.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Poke'mon fans are the solution to which they are the problem. People still will buy the games and have their fun, even if the games are not revolutionary. They're basically junk food. And shit, I'm stuck in the same boat. I usually buy them too. And am never satisfied at the end. Just like with junk food.

The problem is when most reviews falls into the same trap.
The problem with the Pokémon serie isn't only about visuals. It also comes down to content.