• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I hope they try harder next game so I can just safely ignore discourse like Sun and Moon back on the 3DS era. As much as I like discussing games, seeing the same ilogical defense points over and over over the indefendible is exhausting.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
You would think the first mainline game of one the biggest gaming franchises in the world to get BOTW treatment, but instead you get what looks like early PS3 game at best. I say early because in the last year of PS3 we got Ni No Kuni which was a re-imagine of a DS game done right and it looks better than Sword/ Shield.

I don't know how can anyone look at MHW, DQXII and Granblue Fantasy then be satisfied with how Sword/Shield looks and animates.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak are excellent when it comes to level and game design in general. I think they should go back to making 2D games. They'd be unparalleled. They are getting eaten alive trying to make AAA console games.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My God. I have nothing against GameFreak and the Pokemon franchise in general but with so many games out already showcasing what the Switch is really capable of, this is an embarrassment. Also, no AA, at all? I can't even.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You would think the first mainline game of one the biggest gaming franchises in the world to get BOTW treatment

The "BOTW treatment" is incompatible with both the production pipeline and the style of game. It could be significantly more polished than it is, but a production comparable to BOTW is just not happening for a variety of reasons and will never happen until GF/TPC decides they don't like money any more.

TBH it seems like they need a new engine asap. I don't know how that's going to work with training and transferring assets (incoming more dex cuts!) but if they're continuing to make console games this seems like they're going to have to.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The open world Pokemon game with like a million bajillion square miles and 500 Pokemon running around everywhere is never gonna happen. I don't think most Pokemon fans even want that. Another year in the oven, some more staff and dev on board, some more confident direction, and I think these games can get back to having regions as big and content-packed as the DS games with sufficient polish... which is a good starting point going forward.

Pokemon merchandise is the real moneymaker, so it isn't in the stockholders' best interests to wait more than 3-4 years between new gens. I think they should go back to 4 year gaps and spend the extra year working on the game.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is some serious junkfood I had fun with Pokemon Sword but man in the end I was left dissatisfied still, they really need to get their act together.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Thank you Digital Foundry for pointing out the most obvious problem that collapses Game Freak's reasoning, if the Lets Go Pokemon roster models are done then why aren't they compatible or in the game?

People invested hours and hours into those games and they can't even use those Pokemon in Sword and Shield?

Oct 27, 2017
Game Freak are excellent when it comes to level and game design in general. I think they should go back to making 2D games. They'd be unparalleled. They are getting eaten alive trying to make AAA console games.

LOL. Maybe they were really good at a time, but I don't know how anyone can say this with a straight face nowadays. None of their 3D games have had anything close to good level design and their game design shows a fear of change and them being stuck in the 90s as far as JRPG conventions go

Also going back to 2D games makes absolutely no sense. Sprite animations for Pokemon would be significantly more, non-reusable, work, battles would lose their dynamic cameras and a while wealth of other issues

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
This thread has turned into something far more embarrassing than anything Game Freak has done.

Keep telling yourself that.

I have no idea why people feel the need to be apologists for GameFreak. They produce the game of the biggest franchise on planet Earth. Nobody should be defending them putting out shoddy product.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
As a long time pokemon fan (since gen 3) I think it's clear GF needs help with the current release schedule they have. People who say GF should step back are being needlessly extremists in their claims. It's clear GF has a really hard time adapting to new hardware. I think they should definitely partner up with another studio if they intend on going forward with this almost nearly yearly schedule they have going.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Why are a few people giving GF a free pass saying it's ok overall as they only improve in small steps?

It's why Ubisoft quit making yearly Assassin's Creed games as they were only improving in small steps

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Why are a few people giving GF a free pass saying it's ok overall as they only improve in small steps?

It's why Ubisoft quit making yearly Assassin's Creed games as they were only improving in small steps
I would have given GF a pass if this was their usual "baby steps" stuff but in many instances Sword&Shield is an actual regression for them.

Hell, people made fun of me when I said that the Let's Go games looked better but at the end they actually executed the artstyle and overall gameplay flow much more successfully than the so called "core games".

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
In the latest Spawncast almost any problem S&S has was made not to be a big deal. It's quite something.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In retrospect, the main issue with Gamefreak developing Sword and Shield definitely looks to be the exact same one the Square Enix encountered developing Final Fantasy 13 - that they severely underestimated how difficult and time-consuming HD development is - and as such, in order to ship the game, massive compromises had to be made to the game's quality.

It feels like the series, after Sword and Shield, is at breaking point - that if Gamefreak and TPCI decide to continue with yearly releases now that all of their games must be developed for a HD console, then it's just a matter of time before we get a Sonic 06-level disaster.

Yup, they either need to re-evaluate their yearly schedule or get big support from Monolith Soft or other studios.

Or better yet, both.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, the main issue with Gamefreak developing Sword and Shield definitely looks to be the exact same one the Square Enix encountered developing Final Fantasy 13 - that they severely underestimated how difficult and time-consuming HD development is - and as such, in order to ship the game, massive compromises had to be made to the game's quality.

It feels like the series, after Sword and Shield, is at breaking point - that if Gamefreak and TPCI decide to continue with yearly releases now that all of their games must be developed for a HD console, then it's just a matter of time before we get a Sonic 06-level disaster.

When Square Enix talked about HD developpement, it wasn't just shaders or resolution. But also visual fidelity that comes with it. There's nothing "HD" with what GameFreak is producing. They're still on a scale of handheld/128 bits era when it comes to their productions.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Even if they stick to a new game every year, they really have no excuses, even the AC games Ubisoft released a few years ago were decently looking and they were also periodic releases.

I have played until the 2nd Gym, and the texture quality, polygon count in NPCs, pop-in... seem from a 3DS game. Even Xc2 that has a lower resolution looks far better thanks to good material/texture/detail quality. And I'm comparing it to a JRPG that will sell less than 2 millions, not even to the big Nintendo games.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The yearly schedule has to go. It's going to get worse once we get into the Switch 2 and its even stronger hardware.

Third version should be a thing of the past unless it's a substantial sequel like BW2. Put it all in the original game or as DLC. And as I said earlier, go back to four year gaps.

2019: Sword/Shield
2021: Diamond/Pearl remakes
2023: Gen 9

This schedule along with help from an outside studio like Monolith, I have to imagine, should still keep the gravy train flowing for shareholders while letting the games breathe a bit more.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I would have given GF a pass if this was their usual "baby steps" stuff but in many instances Sword&Shield is an actual regression for them.

Hell, people made fun of me when I said that the Let's Go games looked better but at the end they actually executed the artstyle and overall gameplay flow much more successfully than the so called "core games".
To be fair, Kanto is pretty dense in content. Plus it's fairly nonlinear which rewards exploration.

People say GF's level design is top notch and I just don't see that. Every Pokemon mainline game is designed for you to go from point A to B with little inbetween. Unova was particularly egregious and Kalos wasn't much better. It's stale game design and one they're still not deviating from. It's disappointing, moreso than the technical performances which are to be expected if you know GF.

I'm not saying they should go open world. They can do a hub world for example where the environments gradually change. Instead of passing through a gate and the environment suddenly changes to desert or snow level.

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
A couple of months after seeing the witcher 3 on switch there are some people defending this?

This is inexcusable. This is a game made with the mentallity that it is being still done on a 3DS and not in a much superior machine that is the switch. I know that nintendo only owns 30% stake of The Pokemon Company but they should try something to stop gamefreak doing these games.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
The yearly schedule has to go. It's going to get worse once we get into the Switch 2 and its even stronger hardware.

Third version should be a thing of the past unless it's a substantial sequel like BW2. Put it all in the original game or as DLC. And as I said earlier, go back to four year gaps.

This schedule along with help from an outside studio like Monolith, I have to imagine, should still keep the gravy train flowing for shareholders while letting the games breathe a bit more.
But why?
GF can easily sell 15+ million copies every year with rushed games like SwSh so I don't see why they should change.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
But why?
GF can easily sell 15+ million copies every year with rushed games like SwSh so I don't see why they should change.

Because as a consumer I would like the games to be better? They could add microtransactions to games too and probably get away with it. But this schedule is only going to encourage crunch and risk the final products being more and more unfinished.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Geez, that comparison with BotW and X2 hurts. I remember that first year dreaming about how incredible Pokemon on Switch would be.

Then let's go came and I knew better.

Because it's a series without competition, mainly aimed at kids with a huge nostalgia component with older players.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Because as a consumer I would like the games to be better? They could add microtransactions to games too and probably get away with it. But this schedule is only going to encourage crunch and risk the final products being more and more unfinished.
I absolutely agree with you, I'm sad Pokemon will never be really next gen too but really I don't think GF cares about crunch and unfinished games.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I would prefer if Monolith can use their staff for their games to be honest, their last game shows that allowing half the people to help in BotW was bad for Xc2. I mean, obviously Nintendo should have delayed the game 6 months or so in compensation. But even so, Xc2 is a far more ambitious game than SwSh.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Can't quite understand how Three Houses has got a free pass in terms of graphics. That game looks like ass (and I love it, I'm playing it at the moment). Sword/Shield looks much better.

Because it's a smaller serie. With a smaller budget. And yet, within its own serie, it managed to expand visually and in term of mechanics in a big way.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Can't quite understand how Three Houses has got a free pass in terms of graphics. That game looks like ass (and I love it, I'm playing it at the moment). Sword/Shield looks much better.
People don't give Three Houses "a free pass", they constantly criticize the poor graphics but the difference is that 3H is an actual great step forward for the series so the lackluster visuals are more forgiven.

Also, Sword&Shield doesn't look much better either.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, and have two teams working on the games mostly separately. I know that's supposedly happening right now... but I don't really believe it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, 3 Houses looks bad, this I agree, but it has 4 campaigns and lots of new additions to the FE series. Good characters, a new class system, good lore and setting, all the boring monastery stuff... Not all in the game is perfect, but it's ambitious and it shows that IS has decided to fix all the problems with the 3DS entries, specially the game writing and setting. It's a shame that the game looks bad, and relying in Tecmo Koei for the development shows here, but I don't think the 2 situations are comparable at all.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Morimoto was director at a time where Game Freak were at the top of their game on a hardware they mastered perfectly. It was a time where even Masuda was directing great games that everyone in the fanbase loved. It's useless to compare to their current situation, there's very little Morimoto could do because the main problem GF face is time and manpower against games of a much bigger scope than before. Besides, he's still working on the games in a pretty important position.

People longing for the Morimoto days are actually longing for the DS scope of the games back. Where you could pretty easily add features with minimal time and effort.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Yup, they either need to re-evaluate their yearly schedule or get big support from Monolith Soft or other studios.

Or better yet, both.
In addition to the very pressing budget issues, there's also another issue with modern Pokemon that's very apparent, albeit nowhere near as urgent.

Sword and Shield suffer from the same issue as Xenoblade 2 in that it's very clear that the directors decided to focus on a lowest common demonstrator, and it came at the expense of the game's quality.

In Xenoblade 2's case, this problem was all of the otaku pandering and anime tropes that were added at the expense of the game's writing and characters (although hopefully, if Torna is any indication, Monolith Soft has learned from this mistake).

In the case of Sword and Shield, there are two elements to this. The first is Masuda's/Ohmori's desire to pander to the mobile market above all else. This has resulted in what many consider to be the "dumbing down" of the franchise, as highlighted in the forced EXP share, the removal of the Battle Frontier (and now, the neutering of the Battle Tower*), the removal of dungeons, and the increased linearity of the games. This also can explain many of the new additions to the game, such as Pokemon Camp, and Dynamax - the first doesn't have much depth to it, and the second is poorly balanced, but they both look very good on the back of the game's box.

The second element of this is the shift in the games from an adventure/exploration-based game, similar to BOTW and the Fromsoft games, to a story-based RPG, similar to Xenoblade and Fire Emblem - but the games don't have the writing quality that held Xenoblade 1 and some Fire Emblem games up. This can be seen in the significantly increased focus on cutscenes and story moments. IIRC, the first Pokemon game that had a cutscene that lasted over five minutes was Platinum (the Giratina reveal). Black and White, as well as X and Y had a few lengthy cutscenes near the story climax, but this issue hit a fever pitch in Gens 7 and 8. Sun and Moon take around 25-30 hours to beat, and it has around 6 hours of cutscenes, whereas Sword and Shield take around 15-20 hours to beat, and it has around 4 hours of cutscenes. That's a good 20-25% of the game spent on cutscenes, and I don't think many people would say that Sun and Moon's story (much less Sword and Shield's story) is on par with that of Xenoblade 1 or even Three Houses.

The ironic thing with this is that games that place a heavy focus on challenge (i.e. Bloodborne) and exploration (i.e. BOTW) have come into favor in recent years.

To put it simply, a lack of time and resources is the most pressing problem that Pokemon faces, and needs to be resolved first. But the games' need to pander to mobile games above all else makes it such that even if they had 6 years of development time, and a budget of $500 million, the games still wouldn't end up being great. This is why so many of us believe that both Masuda and Ohmori need to go.

* For those of you who don't know, it seems that the Battle Tower is significantly easier to clear than its equivalents in previous generations - there seems to be no Pokemon restrictions (even though the NPCs don't use the legendaries) unlike in previous gens, and a loss doesn't send you back to the start.

Three Houses doesn't really get a free pass in terms of graphics, but many consider it to have the best characters and one of the best stories in the entire series. It has a redeeming quality in what fans consider to be a key pillar of the series (the story and characters), and as such, the graphics aren't as intolerable.

Pokemon Sword and Shield, on the other hand, doesn't really have a redeeming quality - and as such, the graphical flaws are far more glaring.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, 3 Houses looks bad, this I agree, but it has 4 campaigns and lots of new additions to the FE series. Good characters, a new class system, good lore and setting, all the boring monastery stuff... Not all in the game is perfect, but it's ambitious and it shows that IS has decided to fix all the problems with the 3DS entries, specially the game writing and setting. It's a shame that the game looks bad, and relying in Tecmo Koei for the development shows here, but I don't think the 2 situations are comparable at all.
Poor graphics are all KT but so are the gameplay and story improvements.

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
Because it's a smaller serie. With a smaller budget. And yet, within its own serie, it managed to expand visually and in term of mechanics in a big way.

We don't know anything about the budget for these titles.

People don't give Three Houses "a free pass", they constantly criticize the poor graphics but the difference is that 3H is an actual great step forward for the series so the lackluster visuals are more forgiven.

Also, Sword&Shield doesn't look much better either.

I have hardly seen anyone online criticise this title. It seems like double standards to me. And Pokemon SnS looks much, MUCH better than FE-TH. It's not even a contest.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

In fact, when you put it this way, FE3H puts Pokemon to shame. It expanded on everything. Sure the visuals aren't great, but they're a huge improvement on every departements. And the content is meaty af.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I have hardly seen anyone online criticise this title. It seems like double standards to me. And Pokemon SnS looks much, MUCH better than FE-TH. It's not even a contest.

I can tell you the marketing budget for a Pokémon game might be more than the entire budget of the FE serie.
One is lucky to break over 2 millions. The other constantly breaks over 10 millions.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Way way way waaaaaay smaller series with a more niche audience and smaller budget, and yet the jump from the last FE to FE Three Houses was huge its less of an excuse and more fans were floored by the jump it had and now with Three Houses selling well they potentially could improve alot from here.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017

Lol you must had been living under a rock or not paying too much attention to TH threads here.

It's also a hugely less popular series than Pokemon with hugely lesser sales and yet it tries to improve in every front.