• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
User banned (3 days): Abusing the report system.
Says the bookmarking stalker.

Aren't you stalking me right now? I never said anything to you or quoted you yet you can't help but reply to me, it's a bit weird dude.

If you don't like people rightfully criticizing aspects of the game, then you don't have to stay here.

I was commenting on shit like this:

I hope they try harder next game

Unless you think it's ok to use lazy dev rhetoric I guess.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't and awful animations are still evident here. Pokemon-Amie 2 and Pokemon-Amie wasn't fun either. People find fun in Sonic 06 but it doesn't make it good and some semi charming pokemon interaction is mediocre at best and stuff like this is apparently VITAL but 500 pokemon being cut is fine to GF.
I don't want to overuse this meme but if I ever saw a post on here that deserved the "OK boomer" response this is one lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What other +10 million franchise is still treated this cheaply? WWE? No one is defending that.

Slightly different but I remember PUBG selling millions (50 million copies now) and a year later the game was still an ugly unoptimized mess full of cheaters, minimal content, and still selling lootcrate keys to have a tiny gamble at getting something rare. This kind of thing is 10x worse than anything the new Pokemon did and felt like a drop in the ocean in comparison to the recent outrage. There are a bunch of big games doing this kind of thing, and at least Jim Sterling covers them.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Aren't you stalking me right now? I never said anything to you or quoted you yet you can't help but reply to me, it's a bit weird dude.

I was commenting on shit like this:

Unless you think it's ok to use lazy dev rhetoric I guess.

People who use that will get warned/banned. Report them if necessary.

However, the vast majority of this thread has been about valid criticism. The stuff you posted is just as likely to start toxicity since it causes derailment.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I common thread it seems is people want to judge gamefreak vs the worst examples. They point to the lowest bar they can find and go "well look at least Pokemon is above that". Seems strange I feel you want to compare yourself to the top examples instead especially if you're as successful. *shrug*.

But yes there is a parallel world where pokemon sells 1 million every year and everyone would be impressed as fuck and celebrate Gamefreak for sure.
Falcom is kind of that putting out RPGs that don't even come close to selling 1 mil each entry and yet they're highly regarded because they generally work around their limitation pretty smartly while still delivering ambitious stories.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
The Pokémon series needs to follow Assassins Creeds example and take more breaks.

I love Sword and Shield, but this current model is bound to collapse and I fear its gonna happen rather soon than later.
That's the fundamental issue - development's only going to get harder, especially now that all of the games must be developed for a HD console. And whilst Pokemon can keep cutting content, if the backlash towards the Dex cut is any indication, they can't do this for much longer. Something's has to give way, and it doesn't help that Gamefreak/TPCI are insistent on implementing gimmicks such as Pokemon Camp while everything else starts to decay.

The scary thing about this is that it echoes Sonic's trajectory in the early to mid-2000's - Gens 4 and 5 are akin to the 2D Sonic games, whereas Gens 6 and 7 are akin to the Adventure games - considered decent overall, but divisive amongst the fanbase, and nowhere near as good as the classics. Right now, I'd say we're at Heroes - and we're getting dangerously close to Sonic 06. It doesn't help that Pokemon seems to be suffering from the same issues that marred Sonic 06's development, albeit to a lesser extent.

I doubt anyone in the 1990's would have thought that Sonic would become the laughingstock of the industry - and here we are.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Slightly different but I remember PUBG selling millions (50 million copies now) and a year later the game was still an ugly unoptimized mess full of cheaters, minimal content, and still selling lootcrate keys to have a tiny gamble at getting something rare. This kind of thing is 10x worse than anything the new Pokemon did and felt like a drop in the ocean in comparison to the recent outrage. There are a bunch of big games doing this kind of thing.

How many people work on PUBG? I was under the impression it was a No Man's Sky affair with a small number of developers (I remember reading that there were just 35 or 70 devs involved, but that was back then).

As for other big games, I can't really think of many. FIFA and Madden are rather iterative, but you can tell they spend 99% of their budget on the visuals (which makes sense, since player likeness is a huge deal for licensed sports games).

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No it doesn't and awful animations are still evident here. Pokemon-Amie 2 and Pokemon-Amie wasn't fun either. People find fun in Sonic 06 but it doesn't make it good and some semi charming pokemon interaction is mediocre at best and stuff like this is apparently VITAL but 500 pokemon being cut is fine to GF.

If you read the interviews you'd knew that it clearly wasn't fine for GF but rather something they felt like they needed to do sooner or later. And that's true. It's an unsustainable growth that couldn't go on indefinitely. Even they striped everything away to the point that the game would only be a pure battle simulator with nothing at all attached to it, I'm pretty sure that this would only go on for one or two more Gens before collapsing and that's speaking from a balancing point of view alone.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People who use that will get warned/banned. Report them if necessary.

Indeed.

However, the vast majority of this thread has been about valid criticism. The stuff you posted is just as likely to start toxicity since it causes derailment.

More "valid criticism" right here, just under the first post I quoted, again was why I posted as people were going to far imo.

Game Freak is awful, wish they could just go away

Also you were the one trying to derail by bringing up something that had nothing to do with this thread, I was just stating that I think the discourse in this thread was turning to being embarrassing. Perhaps people could dial it back a bit.

I didn't say that. Good luck if saying you wish the developers did better for the next game resulted in a ban in a videogame forum.

Stop blatantly trolling in Pokemon threads.

"I hope they try harder next game"

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
How many people work on PUBG? I was under the impression it was a No Man's Sky affair with a small number of developers (I remember reading that there were just 35 or 70 devs involved, but that was back then).
They def started out smaller before they exploded and then the decision they made due to their constraints as a smaller studio came back to bite them when they had to adjust to a bigger audience very fast.

Indeed that is different to Gamefreak who had a lot of chances and time to ease into HD development.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The video often cites Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 as examples of similar games with more advanced graphics but I do think Dragon Quest XI S is the better example (similar cartoony artstyle, turn based battles with monsters visible in the overworld).
DF video about DQXIS:

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Well, yeah, they did an awful job with this game from what I have seen, I hope they try harder next game. You are seriously grasping at straws to ban people who criticize this game.

Not at all. I just take issue with anyone that says a developer didn't work hard enough. Game Freak, Bioware, Blizzard, whoever.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, they did an awful job with this game from what I have seen, I hope they try harder next game. You are seriously grasping at straws to ban people who criticize this game.
I would drop it, it's likely you're going to get banned. Pokemon undoubtly has special status on this forum. The concessions moderation makes for it vs other companies/titles are crystal clear.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They def started out smaller before they exploded and then the decision they made due to their constraints as a smaller studio came back to bite them when they had to adjust to a bigger audience very fast.

Indeed that is different to Gamefreak who had a lot of chances and time to ease into HD development.

-They had years to adjust
-That's not a good excuse for the introduction of gambling before their games even in a polished state
-Then they tried to sue Epic (and some other mobile companies) because they thought they owned Battle Royale as a concept, and frying pans.

This shits sort of off topic either way.

Oct 25, 2017
I would drop it, it's likely you're going to get banned. Pokemon undoubtly has special status on this forum. The concessions moderation makes for it vs other companies/titles are crystal clear.
Have you ever considered that instead of a Pokémon Conspiracy, that people are just tired of drive-by posters and people unwilling to have a conversation?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
The video often cites Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 as examples of similar games with more advanced graphics but I do think Dragon Quest XI S is the better example.
DF video about DQXIS:

DQXI is definitely a better comparison as the genre is the same and the artstyle is closer in feel, what with all the cartoony monsters and characters.

BOTW goes for a painting feel while Xenoblade is more about its "futuristic medieval" environments.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Not at all. I just take issue with anyone that says a developer didn't work hard enough. Game Freak, Bioware, Blizzard, whoever.

Well, good that I never said the word work for a reason, right? The majority of the problems with Pokemon would be solved with more development time and smarter game design decisions.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
That yellow portion of the bar. People love the creatures more than anything else about this IP and you can bet features like Camp are likely appreciated by a shitload of people more than esoteric battle mechanics and features, so its hilarious to see people complain about catering to that audience. Also holy shit @ Trading Cards earning a comparable amount to the video games.
Yet over 50% of them aren't available

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I usually dont give a shit about performance. But the wild area runs like shit at times and is jarring even to me.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Modwhining over a series of posts
Have you ever considered that instead of a Pokémon Conspiracy, that people are just tired of drive-by posters and people unwilling to have a conversation?
Dunno what you're on about it's not a conspiracy there are clear examples of this bias existing. It's clear as day that Gamefreak and Pokemon gets treated by different standards compared to Bethesda, Bioware and similar. Worse things have been said about those companies and have passed as normal, while people got warned and banned for way less egregious things that is fact and that is that. It is what it is. I don't care but people should know the bias that exist and work around it. And that's all I have to say about this. In the end it's just games so it's not even worth raising a stink about compared to how moderation fucked up with how they were judging ableism.
-They had years to adjust
-That's not a good excuse for the introduction of gambling before their games even in a polished state
-Then they tried to sue Epic (and some other mobile companies) because they thought they owned Battle Royale as a concept, and frying pans.

This shits sort of off topic either way.
This who is truly worse game is boring. It wasn't me that brought pub G into the discussion anyway I was just pointing out a difference. In the end I still find it funny why people are just pointing to the few really bad examples that Gamefreak surpasses instead of pointing towards all the amazing examples that gamefreak falls short off.

People don't even have the courage to look at a game that sold 2-3 times less and compare(Dq11) instead the bar has to be as low as fire emblem(speaking from a production value level not the actual quality of the games themselves).

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason the dex cuts set off such a powderkeg is because people cut Gamefreak a lot of slack over the past gen or two on the basis that they accommodated so many monsters and moves. Pokémon was still 2D on the DS when games like DQM Joker and NinoKuni were out, on the 3DS it got worse with them comparing to YW and Monster Hunter Stories too, but at the end of the day those games couldn't compare to Pokémon in terms of content.

The issue with Sword and Shield is that they've cut that way, but the game hasn't fundamentally changed. The Wild Area is a step in the right direction but it's a weird cordoned off half step whilst the routes are more simple and linear than ever.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Pokemon Sword/Shield devs weren't initially sure how many Pokemon could be shown on screen at once in Wild Area

Ohmori:
"Originally, we weren't sure how many Pokemon we could show on the screen at the same time, on a technical level. When we started development on Sword & Shield, we weren't planning on using this feature. However, after the feedback we got for Let's Go, Pikachu and Eevee, we wanted to implement these 'visible encounters' into the new games as well. Nonetheless, random encounters in the tall grass are in the games too."

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
I don't think GF doesn't work hard enough, I think they don't work smart enough. I think they're doing the best they can which isn't good enough. I like their designs, their music, etc., maybe just outsource the programming.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I believe that is related to being online, if you go offline the performance is basically a locked 30 from what I've seen.
That's fair I guess. But being online and catching stuff and doing surprise trades and what not is so awesome it becomes a core feature of the game, absolutely should have put work into making it work. It's just shoddy at this point

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, this Pokemon title feels half-assed. I don't know why it is that way, whether that's poor project management, a team split too thin between projects, technical hurdles, or some combination. When people say "I hope they try harder next time," it's meant more in the essence of "to avoid the issues that exist in this game."

To act dismissive of someone for feeling like the game is half-baked and take it as them personally attacking devs is a stretch. As far as I'm aware, the majority of the people upset with Sword/Shield are of the mindset that it could have used another 6-18 months in the oven. In the case of Mass Effect Andromeda, people very clearly crossed a line and I don't think you're going to see anyone argue otherwise-- but that doesn't impact the validity of any legitimate criticisms people leveraged against the product.

The issues that people take with Sw/Sh are not in a vacuum. They're an accumulation of years of features being cut, replaced with strictly worse replacements, "dumbed down," and mechanics just flat out being gutted for performance reasons. So while they may not bother you, that doesn't mean that the issue doesn't exist, or that people are invalids because their opinion doesn't line up with yours. It's almost like the games have a huge audience that want different things.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
seriously where did you get that info from, looked it up via google and it states:
Approximately 200 Game Freak employees worked directly on the games while around 100 people from Creatures Inc. worked on 3D modeling, and 100 more were involved in debugging and game testing. Junichi Masuda estimated the total number of people involved to be 50% greater than previous Pokémon titles.

If it is actually near a thousand than its no wonder that things didnt go smooth. For any studio its way to much to delegate more than 300 ish people, especially when a part of that is outsourced and maybe even in a different time zone.
Sorry, you're right, the other 800 were for marketing and other stuff. Ohmori clarified to Polygon about that.
www.polygon.com

Game Freak explains the 1,000 staff, missing creatures, and leek size of Pokémon Sword and Shield

Junichi Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori discuss Switch’s holiday juggernaut

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, this Pokemon title feels half-assed. I don't know why it is that way, whether that's poor project management, a team split too thin between projects, technical hurdles, or some combination. When people say "I hope they try harder next time," it's meant more in the essence of "to avoid the issues that exist in this game."
Game Freak confirmed that full development of Sw/Sh started in late 2017 (they started to work on concepts and stuff right after Sun/Moon in 2016 these concepts took them about a year). Games released in 2019 which is around 2 years in full production which simply is not enough.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
To act dismissive of someone for feeling like the game is half-baked and take it as them personally attacking devs is a stretch.
The thing is that you say this, which is entirely fair, but then led off with this

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, this Pokemon title feels half-assed.
Which does lean into making implications about the dev team, even if you didn't mean to directly.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's fair I guess. But being online and catching stuff and doing surprise trades and what not is so awesome it becomes a core feature of the game, absolutely should have put work into making it work. It's just shoddy at this point

It might just be the vast amount of people playing that is causing the issues right now, we'll see in the coming days if it is or not. If it's not then hopefully we get a rare Game Freak patch that improves it as I assume the online features do utilize the CPU quite heavily and that's why the wild area looks worse than the rest of the game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Sword/Shield devs weren't initially sure how many Pokemon could be shown on screen at once in Wild Area

Ohmori:
"Originally, we weren't sure how many Pokemon we could show on the screen at the same time, on a technical level. When we started development on Sword & Shield, we weren't planning on using this feature. However, after the feedback we got for Let's Go, Pikachu and Eevee, we wanted to implement these 'visible encounters' into the new games as well. Nonetheless, random encounters in the tall grass are in the games too."

I think that's actually surprising, and shows how disconnected they can be from fans.

The Wild Area would be absolutely barren without the visible Pokémon, and more than anything fans want to see a living Pokémon world. Look at how creatures in Xenoblade and Dragon Quest have different behaviours in the overworld, some as simple as lying down or sleeping. It really sells that it's a world with actual living creatures.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It really sells that it's a world with actual living creatures.

Im pretty sure most Xenoblade monsters just roam in circles (with the same axis spin for turning as overworld pokemon). DQ has a few specific examples, but they also mostly just roam in circles with an agro radius.
"actual living creatures" would be more like Monster Hunter where they fight each other in real time.

Last edited:

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you read the interviews you'd knew that it clearly wasn't fine for GF but rather something they felt like they needed to do sooner or later. And that's true. It's an unsustainable growth that couldn't go on indefinitely. Even they striped everything away to the point that the game would only be a pure battle simulator with nothing at all attached to it, I'm pretty sure that this would only go on for one or two more Gens before collapsing and that's speaking from a balancing point of view alone.

It's not even close to unsustainable growth.

Considering USUM has 807 fully rigged, animated and with complete models that are ready in their current state for implementation in future titles, They need a texture rework that's about it.

Here's Mewtwos texture from the 3ds
qu7pcrE.png

Here's the texture from PoGo (Armored mewtwo skin)
pm0150_00_Body_Col%20%23478.png

Here's the texture he has in SwSH
DJ5BbFh.png

The models being used are 3ds models for the VAST VAST majority. Some edits like removing unused and unseen vertices. The textures used are higher resolution, GF most likely already has higher resolution ones that exist anyway (Pokemon Go) but if not you can upscale and paint over the upscale it's not a big task by any standard.

So that brings us to animation, Considering Let's go animations work here and they are just ports of the 3DS animations for battle and pokemon amie animations and walking animations and running animations also existed for all 807 pokemon in SuMo what animations are New here? What unsustainable work would be required?

We have walking and running for the overworld encounters, We have idle and attack animations for the battles and we have the amie animations for camping.

There's 94 new pokemon in Galar including regional forms.

Gen 1 has 151 Pokémon.
Gen 2 has 100 Pokémon.
Gen 3 has 135 Pokémon.
Gen 4 has 107 Pokémon.
Gen 5 has 156 Pokémon.
Gen 6 has 72 Pokémon.
Gen 7 has 85 Pokémon.

That's perfectly inline with the sustainable growth seen prior for years and years.

When you're not actually doing anything to the prior stuff other than porting it forward and some shaders for your new lighting engine the growth isn't unsustainable that was the point of making all these HD compatible models for a 3DS game.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's actually surprising, and shows how disconnected they can be from fans.

The Wild Area would be absolutely barren without the visible Pokémon, and more than anything fans want to see a living Pokémon world. Look at how creatures in Xenoblade and Dragon Quest have different behaviours in the overworld, some as simple as lying down or sleeping. It really sells that it's a world with actual living creatures.
7f6.gif

Are you saying you don't like Wingulls hovering like they're inanimate objects? GET OUT OF HERE.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

But the fans don't think all the same. There are people that don't like the overworld Pokemon and want it to go back to being traditional random encounters. It's hard to fight through the noise to get what most fans want and that will also work well in the game. It's just a shame that they had around 6-9 months to implement it into the games.

Considering USUM has 807 fully rigged, animated and with complete models that are ready in their current state for implementation in future titles

Rigging can easily break when transferring to a new or modified engine. There's still a lot of work to do. You are assuming things that are not necessarily true.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rigging can easily break when transferring to a new or modified engine. There's still a lot of work to do. You are assuming things that are not necessarily true.

The Lets go rigging works fine it's been ported in already, there's 153 rigged pokemon ready to go. If they made USUM rigging work in Let's go already It's just more of that.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The thing is that you say this, which is entirely fair, but then led off with this

Which does lean into making implications about the dev team, even if you didn't mean to directly.

Well, that's the problem, right? If you can't discuss the fact that a game feels hampered or just flat out bad without it being an attack on devs, then you can't have that discussion. That's an issue. My saying that the game feels half-assed is not at all me saying that the devs don't care about their work, or that they are lazy. The only people that can reasonably be held accountable by that statement are project managers.

Game Freak confirmed that full development of Sw/Sh started in late 2017 (they started to work on concepts and stuff right after Sun/Moon in 2016 these concepts took them about a year). Games released in 2019 which is around 2 years in full production which simply is not enough.

And this is my point. GameFreak started full development of Sw/Sh 2 years ago, while also juggling LGPE and Little Town Hero. That's a team of 200 employees split across 3 games (5 if you want to get into semantics of Pokemon editions) in 2 years. We have people talking about alarm bells ringing when Assassin's Creed teams were taking 3-4 years to develop individual titles, and they were coming out annually as well.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Lets go rigging works fine it's been ported in already, there's 153 rigged pokemon ready to go. If they made USUM rigging work in Let's go already It's just more of that.

What about the other 750 then? Not all rigging is the same, it can be broken in different ways and need to be checked rigorously. We don't know if the Let's Go and Sw/Sh engines are exactly the same either. They made Sword and Shield alongside Let's Go so it's not just that simple to do what they did for one game and put it in the other, that may still take a large portion of time.

Also they would be criticised even more if they put all the Kanto Pokemon in Sword and Shield and only 30-40% of all the other generations.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Well, that's the problem, right? If you can't discuss the fact that a game feels hampered or just flat out bad without it being an attack on devs, then you can't have that discussion. That's an issue. My saying that the game feels half-assed is not at all me saying that the devs don't care about their work, or that they are lazy. The only people that can reasonably be held accountable by that statement are project managers.
I think their issue is not leading with "I think" or "my opinion". By just saying it is half-assed, you come off as saying it is objectively half-assed when it is subjective

Oct 27, 2017
But the fans don't think all the same. There are people that don't like the overworld Pokemon and want it to go back to being traditional random encounters. It's hard to fight through the noise to get what most fans want and that will also work well in the game. It's just a shame that they had around 6-9 months to implement it into the games.
They're somehow able to "fight through the noise" for numerous other features that they're adamant fans want