• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well that's unfortunate, especially regarding the SSD. Will we still see loading speeds be generally faster on PS5?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, at least those Sony exclusives will continue to blow us away.

Oct 27, 2017
So, we can expect wizardry from the usual suspects; i.e. Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, etc. and maybe, (maybe) third party developers if they so choose.

Oct 25, 2017
We'll have to see how things play out. I'm in the camp that sees both consoles being just as identical in practice as the PS4 and Xbox One when it comes to multi-platform performance

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
I posted this in another thread, but do people think Microsoft is sort of holding back next gen a bit this time? Weaker lockhart seems to be coming, and a weaker ssd. Also, no real focus towards improving audio from the looks.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it is pretty obvious that the difference will mostly just manifest in FP games...but the difference in SSD speeds makes a difference, just like a TF difference does in favour of XSX.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Well that's unfortunate, especially regarding the SSD. Will we still see loading speeds be generally faster on PS5?
We'll see what happens when devs get their hands on them... I mean look at the fps side of things. The hardware we have is enough to do 60fps...but how often do games do that?

We'll see who values - and can deliver - zero loading times.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Obvious from the spec sheet.
Xbox is the base this gen.

Devs: "we want a drive thats 10x faster"
MS: "Okay here is one 50x faster"
Sony "Okay here is one 100x faster, but we compromised on everything else"

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This is an article written about tweets that aren't official in the slightest

Actual devs are saying its the most exciting thing in 20 years

hmmm

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in another thread, but do people think Microsoft is sort of holding back next gen a bit this time? Weaker lockhart seems to be coming, and a weaker ssd. Also, no real focus towards improving audio from the looks.
has this been rumored? I heard the cheaper Xbox SKU will have the same CPU and SSD spec and only downgrades the GPU performance?

PS4 and OG Xbox One are not remotely identical in practice. OG Xbox One is barely hanging on for dear life with modern games.
You could say the same for base PS4 too. Nowadays if a game runs at say 900p on base PS4 then it usually translate to 720p output for base XBO. I think the PS4Pro and OneX are further apart than the base consoles

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll have to see how things play out. I'm in the camp that sees both consoles being just as identical in practice as the PS4 and Xbox One when it comes to multi-platform performance
PS4 and OG Xbox One are not remotely identical in practice. OG Xbox One is barely hanging on for dear life with modern games.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
That's unfortunate, why would sony cripple there one advantage over series x in this way?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
We really shouldn't be taking this as fact just yet. This is WCCFtech making an article based on a tweet by someone who works at Digital Foundry.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Would it not translate to ps5 open world games having greater LOD, less pop ups and generally being able to stream in assets twice as fast?

you could have greater textures and lod as you know when moving scenes the drive is fast enough to stream in the next assets?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's always kind of the problem isn't it? Third party will have to follow the lowest common denominator. You can't make a game that relies on hardware that's not present on one of the consoles.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Would it not translate to ps5 open world games having greater LOD, less pop ups and generally being able to stream in assets twice as fast?

you could have greater textures and lod as you know when moving scenes the drive is fast enough to stream in the next assets?

It could, but it will be up to developers to make their engines scalable on that front with different IO-bandwiths in the way you are describing. I can imagine that for some cross-gen stuff and early 3rd party games it wont be worth the additional effort.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The devs seem really excited about the PS5 so idk about that one. And the SSD was the main reason per Jason Schrier.

A dev at Id called the console awesome. So I haven't seen any doom and gloom from devs which work with the console. We'll see tho once the games are out and more devs speak on it

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
From a theoretical level, it sounds great from Sony to create a way for devs to create something new which couldn't happen before.. But from a practical level, most companies make multiplatform games, for the likes of Nintendo, XBOX, PS, PC and mobile. You want to hit the ground running and not be held back with learning from scratch or determining how to make something work across all environments that matter to you.

Either way, time will be the answer as to how all this will play out.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's always kind of the problem isn't it? Third party will have to follow the lowest common denominator. You can't make a game that relies on hardware that's not present on one of the consoles.
Xbox does apparently have an SSD solution but it probably isn't as good as Sony's. The bigger problem is probably PCs, unless MS can port over their solution. Bigger than both of those is likely having the $ to make a project ambitious and large enough in scope to take advantage of the IO.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
From a theoretical level, it sounds great from Sony to create a way for devs to create something new which couldn't happen before.. But from a practical level, most companies make multiplatform games, for the likes of Nintendo, XBOX, PS, PC and mobile. You want to hit the ground running and not be held back with learning from scratch or determining how to make something work across all environments that matter to you.

Either way, time will be the answer as to how all this will play out.
Cerny literally started his talk today talking about this. He claims that this period of figuring out is lower than the PS4 days.

Does no one actually pay attention to first person sources? Stop getting your news from random websites making shit up please

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The devs seem really excited about the PS5 so idk about that one. And the SSD was the main reason per Jason Schrier.

A dev at Id called the console awesome. So I haven't seen any doom and gloom from devs which work with the console. We'll see tho once the games are out and more devs speak on it
Oh right, he mentioned that. Well that gives me hope.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Let's just wait and see what these insane SSD speeds will amount to in the hands of devs that are willing to make use of it before saying that Sony wasted their money on an SSD that's only going to be 3 seconds faster than what MS is offering.

Alot of people showing their colors.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the PS5 can't run both the CPU and GPU at 100% performance at the same time and the variable speeds allow devs to make some scenes more CPU intensive and others more GPU intensive. I would say it is a very good approach the only problem being the XSX has them beat in fixed clocks.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
It could, but it will be up to developers to make their engines scalable on that front with different IO-bandwiths in the way you are describing. I can imagine that for some cross-gen stuff and early 3rd party games it wont be worth the additional effort.

Is it that much greater of an effort? I would expect devs to have the tools and their own engine tools to be able to manage stuff like that.