• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Almost nobody here is talking about the price.

Microsoft has 44% more CUs in their GPU part, that's gonna cost a LOT.

Sony has 50% faster (sequential at least) SSD with custom DMA controller and a supposedly damn amazing cooling solution (if they aim to use that 2.23GHz gpu clock over more than just a few seconds every minute)... those are gonna cost extra.... BUT not nearly as much as what MS is doing.

So, the PS5 is going to be quite a bit cheaper than the XSX is what I'm thinking.
The PS5's cooling solution is going to have to be some revolutionary shit to keep the GPU cool and just as importantly keep the overall console quiet. I have no idea how are they going to manage both.

But if youre already at a stable 60fps/4k on the lower spec then what does the higher spec give you? Remember we're only talking about a 15% difference in capability. I think for most games you're just going to see near perfect parity.

4K/60fps games are going to be some rare shit next-gen. And in any case, of the two companies only Microsoft has put an emphasis on it.

FWIW that difference is enough to translate to a locked 60fps versus 50~fps.

Last edited:

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't sound like common sense to me.
I mean you could want these variable clocks only for reducing power consumption and overheat with no drawbacks.
That's really what I understood from the presentation, they said explicitely it doesn't depends on heat, only on measured activity.
Discrete cards with fixed specifications in PC's reduce their power considerably when not needed. But it doesn't change the clock speeds.

And the reason heat does not matter, as they stated is they are not exceeding the TDP for the chip, as I mentioned. However nothing comes for free, so if one part needs more power than the other will not have access to it (or the chip has to draw more power to compensate which increases thermals). Therefore you have a variable, boost solution. Both parts will never be at the max specification for more than short periods of time.

Again, if they could fix the frequency at the rate stated, they would.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Almost nobody here is talking about the price.

Microsoft has 44% more CUs in their GPU part, that's gonna cost a LOT.

Sony has 50% faster (sequential at least) SSD with custom DMA controller and a supposedly damn amazing cooling solution (if they aim to use that 2.23GHz gpu clock over more than just a few seconds every minute)... those are gonna cost extra.... BUT not nearly as much as what MS is doing.

So, the PS5 is going to be quite a bit cheaper than the XSX is what I'm thinking.
I bet Sony's SSD is more expensive then their APU. Possibly noticeably more (which we got hints from in that Bloomberg BoM article).

So no, it will not quite a bit cheaper without taking a large loss.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Current console CPUs can drive around 50k drawcalls/frame (not that it's a common place thing in games as you run into other limitations before it). Becoming draw-call limited on these new CPUs would imply something pretty drastic (certainly not a few % change in clock speeds).
Not sure why you'd bring current consoles since they quite awful specifically when it comes to draw distance because of the CPU.
Regardless, games next generation will be denser than ever and we'll see how it goes. It's not just the change in clock speed, but also that the CPU is inherently slower in the first place than Series X.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I can see the PS5 SSD being reminiscent of the Cell, in that only first-parties will ever really maximize and design around it's particular strengths.

For third-party games, I suspect it'll mostly just surface as faster loading times.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Yes but the point is there are way more gamers on PlayStation already. Xbox X had an even bigger BC over PS4/Pro's non existent BC and was also a lot more powerful and did it change the absolute landslide in sales? The answer is no and this won't change next gen when the power gap isn't huge and the ps5 actually has advantages in audio and ssd. Plus it will support BC for the most popular titles.

The only change being encouraged next gen is from xbox to pc. PC + PS5 will be the ideal combination.
There were also more gamers on PS2 than original Xbox and how did that go for PS3 and Xbox 360? Wii U had 13 million gamers and Switch has 50 million+. Making assumptions based on past is nonsense.

Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were mid gen upgrades. You can't compare that situation to a new gen starting. People do care about BC even more nowadays and Xbox has a huge advantage there: https://www.resetera.com/threads/do-you-care-much-about-backwards-compatibility.175842/

Talking about audio advantages is ridiculous. 90% gamers use cheap headsets or tv speakers and won't notice any differences in audio. New Xbox has 3D audio too and a fast SSD as well.

You don't even know the prices of PS5 and new Xbox and you are preaching these things like it's all settled. What if MS goes super aggressive and both consoles are $399?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
There were also more gamers on PS2 than original Xbox and how did that go for PS3 and Xbox 360?

Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were mid gen upgrades. You can't compare that situation to a new gen starting. People do care about BC even more nowadays and Xbox has a huge advantage there: https://www.resetera.com/threads/do-you-care-much-about-backwards-compatibility.175842/

Talking about audio advantages is ridiculous. 90% gamers use cheap headsets or tv speakers and won't notice any differences in audio. New Xbox has 3D audio too and a fast SSD as well.

You don't even know the prices of PS5 and new Xbox and you are preaching these things like it's all settled. What if MS goes super aggressive and both consoles are $399?
No more then 90% won't noticed a slight advantage in resolution. The ps3 was way too expensive and came a year late. Even longer in Europe. That's why the 360 got them. Nothing to do with a slight power advantage.

If you think the next xbox sells anywhere close to the ps5 next gen you're living in cloud cookoo land. Sony don't have any major fuck ups by the look of. The ps5 is a massive upgrade over the ps4 in many ways and they've the games to back it up.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
The PS5's cooling solution is going to have to be some revolutionary shit to keep the GPU cool and just as importantly keep the overall console quiet. I have no idea how are they going to manage both.
Hey, I definitely agree with this but you probably quoted wrong post from me?

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
No more then 90% won't noticed a slight advantage in resolution. The ps3 was way too expensive and came a year late. Even longer in Europe. That's why the 360 got them. Nothing to do with a slight power advantage.

If you think the next xbox sells anywhere close to the ps5 next gen you're living in cloud cookoo land. Sony don't have any major fuck ups by the look of. The ps5 is a massive upgrade over the ps4 in many ways and they've the games to back it up.
Xbox One was more expensive too and launched later in tier 2 countries.

Again, you have absolutely no idea how these consoles will be priced. You have no idea how PS5 cooling works for that aggressively overclocked GPU and how much the cooling costs and affects the console price. Hell, you don't even know what the PS5 console looks like and you've seen only one game, Godfall.

But hey, it's all landslide for PS5, right?

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
Discrete cards with fixed specifications in PC's reduce their power considerably when not needed. But it doesn't change the clock speeds.

And the reason heat does not matter, as they stated is they are not exceeding the TDP for the chip, as I mentioned. However nothing comes for free, so if one part needs more power than the other will not have access to it (or the chip has to draw more power to compensate which increases thermals). Therefore you have a variable, boost solution. Both parts will never be at the max specification for more than short periods of time.

Again, if they could fix the frequency at the rate stated, they would.

Ok, thanks for the more detailed explanation.
However the part about boost mode being for short periods of time doesn't fit with what they said in the presentation.
They said they expected the CPU and GPU to be at the capped frequency "most of the time".
It's a custom GPU so I guess we can't really know, but I think it might be different than standard boost solutions ?

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more that I think about, the emphasis and investment around the SSD in the PS5 is abit odd. I mean, unless you have superman vision that can notice a #5 LOD from miles away or are incredibly impatient, an SSD like the one in the XSX should therotically have you covered. It's still fast by average market range.

I guess it's something that devs will have to think creatively about to really utilize.

I guess we'll find out soon enough how necessary it is. It does seem strange for Cerny to obsess over it if a lesser SD would be good enough for next-gen, considering everything else in the system seems to be conservative.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do not DF (Dark1x etc) call out Sony for what variable frequency REALLY is?

It is a shitty solution in EVERY SINGLE WAY for a console. And seems like a panic move from Sony just reach a higher "theoretical" TF

There is no advantage to this at all (we have no battery life to extend for example)

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
I guess we'll find out soon enough how necessary it is. It does seem strange for Cerny to obsess over it if a lesser SD would be good enough for next-gen, considering everything else in the system seems to be conservative.

What else can he stress though? They are behind X Series X in most metrics specs wise. I mean they even spent time talking about an audio chip. I'm sorry but most ppl don't care. I doubt most ppl even know or cared that Xbox One has a dedicated audio chip and PS4 did not. He just needed something to talk about is what it sounds like to me.

I still think most of the money for the PS5 went to the GPU as even Sony know it is the most important piece of your gaming build.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
For a third party will it be easy access to manage it all or harder thats a key thing we don't know

PS ignore previous comment here im on two pages at once lol

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Sony decision to use variable frequency is baffling. I wonder if devs will run into unforseen issues in the long run.

nuoh_my_god

Nov 11, 2017
Ireland
Rasterization is also tied to shading units, of which XSX has 3328 (52CU x 64SU) while PS5 has 2304 (36CU x 64SU). So ramping up the instructions per clock via high frequency is a good way to cover some of the computing gap, but you're in essence placing a sprinter in the middle of a marathon.

Nah, rasterization is tied to the ROP count and clocks, and we don't know what the ROP count is of either console yet. If they're both at 64 ROPs for example, then the PS5 will have a 20% increase in rasterization performance compared to XSX.

Previous gen Sony went hard on the rops, PS4 had 32 compared to 16 for XB1, PS4Pro had 64 to the 32 of XB1X. So who knows, all depends on the ROP count.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like speculation to me, not really stating a fact.
Anyway, still think this talk about "insane ssd speed" is really overblown.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Nah, rasterization is tied to the ROP count and clocks, and we don't know what the ROP count is of either console yet. If they're both at 64 ROPs for example, then the PS5 will have a 20% increase in rasterization performance compared to XSX.

Previous gen Sony went hard on the rops, PS4 had 32 compared to 16 for XB1, PS4Pro had 64 to the 32 of XB1X. So who knows, all depends on the ROP count.
I said shaders are also tied to rasterization, I didn't say that they alone are what as responsible for it. What's feeding the ROPs? What do the ROPs do without shaders? Come on now.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
The lowest common denominator argument is used against PS5's SSD/transfer capabilities, but not against Series X's CPU?

Double standards.

I feel like all this paper talk ultimately needs to funnel up to games. Let's see them

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
The more that I think about, the emphasis and investment around the SSD in the PS5 is abit odd. I mean, unless you have superman vision that can notice a #5 LOD from miles away or are incredibly impatient, an SSD like the one in the XSX should therotically have you covered. It's still fast by average market range.

I guess it's something that devs will have to think creatively about to really utilize.
more thinking has lead you to the conclusion that increasing the SSD speeds would only influence miles away LOD?

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For those saying that load times will be halved due to the SSD in the PS5 being twice faster, I don't think it works that way, at least not yet.

Plenty of comparison videos out there that show the difference in loading time between an SSD that only reads 550MB/s and one that reads 3.5GB/s (over 6 times faster) and the difference is only about 1 second more or less.

Reminds me of how SLI/NVLink doesn't usually translate to double performance.

Again, this is based on the what we currently have available to test.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
What else can he stress though? They are behind X Series X in most metrics specs wise. I mean they even spent time talking about an audio chip. I'm sorry but most ppl don't care. I doubt most ppl even know or cared that Xbox One has a dedicated audio chip and PS4 did not. He just needed something to talk about is what it sounds like to me.

I still think most of the money for the PS5 went to the GPU as even Sony know it is the most important piece of your gaming build.

I mean given the SSD solution they put in it is obvious this was one of the main design focuses of the system, as much as the GPU itself. Also, the audio tech is actually allows new things. Some percentage of difference in flops is a modest difference in degree rather than kind. I mean res difference all other things being equal would probably something like 1800p+ versus 2160p...

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Xbox One was more expensive too and launched later in tier 2 countries.

Again, you have absolutely no idea how these consoles will be priced. You have no idea how PS5 cooling works for that aggressively overclocked GPU and how much the cooling costs and affects the console price. Hell, you don't even know what the PS5 console looks like and you've seen only one game, Godfall.

But hey, it's all landslide for PS5, right?
IMO yes. Sony have satisfied us so much on the ps4. It's been a hell of a gen and they ain't finished yet. FF7, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 still to come. Icing on the cake. Their first party games have never been bigger. Microsoft are in a big low since their glory days early on the 360. PlayStation is a true global console xbox too reliant on the UK and US markets. I literally give it no chance of outselling ps5 or even coming close.

The good news is launch ain't far away so we don't have to wait long to see if I'm right. Mark my words, ps5 will be a dominant sales leader over xbox next gen.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
For those saying that load times will be halved due to the SSD in the PS5 being twice faster, I don't think it works that way, at least not yet.
Loading will be faster mainly because there will be no need to preload all the data for the next 30 seconds of gameplay into RAM. The linear read speed of SSD is much less relevant here.