• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Then buy an xbox and calm down.

Cerny illustrated his reasons pretty well in the video. The variable frequency explanation seemed to be an extension of AMD's SmartShift technology. If a scene doesn't require much CPU power it can send that juice to the GPU or vice versa. It also keeps power at a constant maximum that can be throttled down, so we should not experience the jet engine ala ps4 because the cooler is designed for the max the ps5 can output. Ambient temps should not affect performance.
Oh, I'm definitely considering it. I guess the Series X will be the console to own for third-party games! 😊

The PS5 for the exclusives.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
There is a certain point where the whole scalability argument falls flat on it face. Sure, your traditional loading screen load times will just simply scale between hardware. But when game devs have to design their environments in a manner that masks data streaming time like how there are those choke points in Jedi: Fallen Order etc, that is fundamental game design that has to account for the lowest common denominator platform's data access speed. If you only need to worry about your game running off of a high speed SSD without having to worry about also supporting data streaming from a 5400 RPM laptop mechanical hard drive, it will change the way you can approach game design.

naturally it'll change the way you approach game design, but my thought is that we might be underestimating how flexibly developers end up being able to do that

we shall see

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
The gloom in here vs the tangible praise and excitement from developers who are actually using the thing couldn't be farther apart 😄
I suspected there might be a disparity like this.

To me, Sony revealed a beastly machine in its own right that will help to drastically change the landscape of game development. And yet the majority of posts I've read are disappointment, concern, and straight up FUD.

There are legitimate bones to pick, but the message is overwhelmingly positive. Game developers are excited, and they and others have told us not to focus on TFs. But sadly few are listening.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
When Cerny started talking about how a "worst case scenario" would make the system down clock and devs would have to keep that in mind, it really set off some warning signals.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I will need to be convinced about both the audio and the SSD. Were already magnitudes faster than a hard drive with the XSX's slowest rate so The PS5 seems unbalanced. I thought Xbox had a similar audio solution?

I'm not comparing it to what was always going to be a higher specced console. The way I look at it is how much better is it from my current console. I don't consider PS5 to be a compromise in any way.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The gloom in here vs the tangible praise and excitement from developers who are actually using the thing couldn't be farther apart 😄

It really is interesting especially when people are comparing this to the PS3's cell processor when the 2 couldn't be more different. Hell, the presentation started with Cerny saying faster SSD was the most requested thing from devs. It seems they delivered on that and then some.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the approach Sony are taking is that its more of a game design philosophy approach than the usual graphics / framerate "hey look at me" approach. Feels more like a Nintendo move in some ways and not sure it will really be effective in marketing terms

When you have a better looking, higher res / better framerate version of COD / FIFA / Madden etc on Xbox due to better raw power and PS5 just loads it a bit quicker from a marketing perspective Sony is losing.

Think the issue is not all games can benefit from infinity better storage speeds, you're going to hit a cap pretty quick on 90% of games whereas 100% of games can easily look a bit better with 10-15% extra raw power.

I'm certainly interested to see what Sony 1st party does with it though

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I dont see how the variable frequency will have that much of a detrimental effect. Cerny said its clocked to power not heat, so surely it just means if your not using the gpu much it clocks lowers as its not needed so much. However if you want full power you get full power, simple.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
... how is that related to this topic though?
Sorry Edit included extremely important adjective;specialized.
I know software is moving to a data based approach, but MS has a solution that is already so far ahead of the current base that it is hard for me to see the potential behind a lightspeed drive wiith weaker everything else. Half of lightspeed is still stupid fast compared to what we have rn.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm definitely considering it. I guess the Series X will be the console to own for third-party games! 😊

The PS5 for the exclusives.
Seems to be the case.

Though there's a lot we havent seen yet so I wouldn't put any bets down yet. 3rd party devs can still take advantage of the ssd and audio chip in ways more than just faster load times and 3d audio. How much is yet to be seen.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to see games running on this thing. Glad the tech specs are out the way for both systems, although not for Lockhart yet (which seems highly likely it will be 4tf now)

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I'm trying to get my head around what variable clocks means and keep thinking about how a CVT transmission works (rightly or wrongly).

I imagine the base state is at full frequencies but only varies down if the game demands less? And this continuously varies.

Oct 26, 2017
Obvious from the spec sheet.
Xbox is the base this gen.

Devs: "we want a drive thats 10x faster"
MS: "Okay here is one 50x faster"
Sony "Okay here is one 100x faster, but we compromised on everything else"
I don't really see it as compromise, even just going by raw numbers it's still an extremely capable machine. Instead of looking at it from the angle of Sony making their machine weaker, look at it as MS over delivering on power.
Remember, 12 tfps was considered the upper end of realistic expectations when both machines were just being speculated.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox back on top with multiplat games is a lock now, but obviously the Sony exclusives will look amazing just like the PS3 exclusives

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah was having this discussion earlier. Thankfully sony is mostly a first party game system for me anyway but its unfortunate that their big pitch for the next console isnt going to be something that a majority of games even utilize.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, people are saying Sony is forcing them to make a choice by having better speeds in the SSD? Why not say Xbox is forcing them to make a choice by having a lower SSD speed?

Dark_Emil

Apr 5, 2018
Is audio even something that people will care about?

Audio is a change maker if done right. 3D audio in VR is AMAZING. Also, Sony is making a new controller that will enhance the experience. I am certain the game experience is gonna far better than in other systems when these features are fully on.

Problem is that these big innovations will only be explored and mostly utilized by their first party studios. Unless Sony doubles down on their first party production, the PS5 is bound to be the next Wii U. Epic fail.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Does the forum believe that the PS5 will have an enhanced version of Cyberpunk available at launch like the Series X? I wonder how the variable clocks on the CPU and GPU will affect CD Projekt Red enhancing it.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Variable frequencies sounds like such a horrible, horrible idea. I don't give the slightest fucks about 3D audio. Not even a little, so them investing so strongly in that instead of say, more CU's for ray tracing is insane to me. Like WTF, Sony?

And having a cooling solution that could sustain those frequencies? Sure, that'd be neat. But having the GPU power vary based on the frequency means the PS5 isn't even a 10.28 tflops machine, that number will go down depending on how much the frequency goes down. He didn't mention how low it'll go, which honestly worries me.

I'm absolutely sure that lower tflops with higher frequencies are more efficient. The problem is, these higher frequencies aren't "locked in".

So let's have a little thought experiment... The GPU on the PS5 runs mostly on a 2.23 GHz frequency. Let's bring it down 4 %... We're now at 2.14 Ghz, which would give us roughly ~9.9 tflops... And who the fuck knows how low it'll go?!

I completely agree with John. Give me stable frequencies any day of the week over this crap. I still want to see how the real world performance does against a stable 12.1 tflops machine running at 1.825 GHz, but there is no doubt in my mind the Series X is on top, ultra-fast SSD be damned.
Huh, I thought Cerny made it clear that even when the power drops they'll only drop about 2% in frequency. So 10.2 flops drops to about 10, and this is offset by the frequency being significantly faster with many elements of the processing working faster than they would on a comparable XSX. I dunno, it sounds like PS5 isn't going to be a vast gulf behind what XSX is capable of pushing. In a world of highly variable resolutions and much more mature techniques to improve lower resolutions on our 4K displays, I can't imagine we're going to be seeing the kinds of 1080p to 900p scenarios we had early on this gen.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Seems to be the case.

Though there's a lot we havent seen yet so I wouldn't put any bets down yet. 3rd party devs can still take advantage of the ssd and audio chip in ways more than just faster load times and 3d audio. How much is yet to be seen.
It's a competent machine, I'm not trying to downplay how insanely fast the SSD is, of course it'll have it's advantages.

But the SSD on the Series X is no slouch either... You're right though, we've yet to see how much of an impact either solution will have. Interesting times ahead!

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
How can anyone be disappointed with either console. I can't wait to see what gets released

Oct 31, 2017
LOL, I suspected as much. Era and the internet at large have a funny way of overreacting to news and focusing on the wrong things (Tflops in this case). As long as devs are happy that's all I care about. Seems devs wanted faster SSDs the most, and Sony more than delivered in that aspect. The TFlop difference between both consoles will be negligible in the real world but I'm excited to see what devs (particularly Sony's 1st party) can do with the ultra-fast SSD.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are blowing the SSD out of proportion. Its not like a game will load 30 seconds faster than the version on Xbox. It's going to end up being pretty small.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Huh, I thought Cerny made it clear that even when the power drops they'll only drop about 2% in frequency. So 10.2 flops drops to about 10, and this is offset by the frequency being significantly faster with many elements of the processing working faster than they would on a comparable XSX. I dunno, it sounds like PS5 isn't going to be a vast gulf behind what XSX is capable of pushing. In a world of highly variable resolutions and much more mature techniques to improve lower resolutions on our 4K displays, I can't imagine we're going to be seeing the kinds of 1080p to 900p scenarios we had early on this gen.
He said the frequency needs to be lowered "a couple procent", which in turn would yield a 10 % decrease in power consumption. He never said how low it'll go though, he never gave us an interval, and that I find worrisome.

I'm expecting the Series X to have the better RT solution as well (thanks to the larger amount of CU's). That, to me, makes a bigger difference than say 3D audio.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine either of these consoles having a problem with pop-in or LoDs.

I'm really intrigued to see how Sony's first party takes advantage of its insane SSD speeds beyond pop-in and LoDs... because my feeble brain can't wrap my head around the possibilities.

Developers right now spend a massive amount of time building games to work around how slow HDDs are. The classic example in contemporary games is that they'll force you into a confined space where you can't see the area you've just left or the area you're about to enter so that they can get rid of the old and load in the new. The most obvious example of that is the edge-through-tight-gap that you see in God of War, Uncharted, The Last Jedi and so forth. It's not just the annoyance of those low-interactive and repetitive sections that suck, it's also the fact the worlds and levels have to keep sending you through them.

The vision of creative directors is always constrained by hardware. The HDD is one of the biggest constraints to creative vision in current gen games. The massive jump in bandwidth will allow developers to get much, much closer to that vision. This is true for both XSX and PS5... but the PS5 is much better at it and more over because the PS5 will have true exclusives much sooner we'll see the effect of it much sooner on the PS5 than on the XSX.

People should be more excited about the SSD stuff. The XSX GPU is twice as powerful as the X1X GPU. The PS5 disk->RAM bandwidth is more like 50-100x that of the PS4 Pro disk->RAM bandwidth.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERNY

LPnRUg.gif

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It's not "weaker", it's slower but is still very fast and every other aspect of the XSX is more powerful and faster than the PS5 other than the PS5 gpu clock speed when it's throttling the CPU
It's not really throttling though. The system appears to be way more sophisticated than the usual "boost modes" of other devices. Also, according to Cerny increased frequencies provide certain benefits that are independent to raw TF numbers. So I find people's comparisons rather simplistic.

Oct 31, 2017
How can anyone be disappointed with either console. I can't wait to see what gets released
I don't get it either. Both consoles are very impressive in their own ways. I can't wait to see what devs can pull off with this power. When I see some of the games we got this gen from 1.3 and 1.8 Tflop consoles I'm still blown away. Now we are getting consoles that completely blow those older consoles away and some people are still finding ways to complain, smdh.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The most obvious example of that is the edge-through-tight-gap that you see in God of War, Uncharted, The Last Jedi and so forth. It's not just the annoyance of those low-interactive and repetitive sections that suck, it's also the fact the worlds and levels have to keep sending you through them.

Jedi Fallen Order had so soooo many and they never stopped feeling silly.