• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I thought Cerny made it clear that even when the power drops they'll only drop about 2% in frequency. So 10.2 flops drops to about 10, and this is offset by the frequency being significantly faster with many elements of the processing working faster than they would on a comparable XSX. I dunno, it sounds like PS5 isn't going to be a vast gulf behind what XSX is capable of pushing. In a world of highly variable resolutions and much more mature techniques to improve lower resolutions on our 4K displays, I can't imagine we're going to be seeing the kinds of 1080p to 900p scenarios we had early on this gen.

I'm still trying to figure out why they are doing it this way. It sounds like temperature must be a factor but it seems like they are able to reach higher clocks intermittently, it wont be all the time, like every few milliseconds maybe. Its basically like built in auto overclocking, which is what Ryzen cpu's kind of do anyway. I doubt the developers, have to even think about it at all. That's just my inexpert opinion.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a competent machine, I'm not trying to downplay how insanely fast the SSD is, of course it'll have it's advantages.

But the SSD on the Series X is no slouch either... You're right though, we've yet to see how much of an impact either solution will have. Interesting times ahead!
I mean from what I can tell most are saying a difference of a few seconds on load times.

But Sony is aiming for no load times at all. Instantaneous booting should feel very refreshing.

He also mentioned there should be no limit on how fast a character can move through environments (a matrix game sounds perfect now). Exciting stuff.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Developers right now spend a massive amount of time building games to work around how slow HDDs are. The classic example in contemporary games is that they'll force you into a confined space where you can't see the area you've just left or the area you're about to enter so that they can get rid of the old and load in the new. The most obvious example of that is the edge-through-tight-gap that you see in God of War, Uncharted, The Last Jedi and so forth. It's not just the annoyance of those low-interactive and repetitive sections that suck, it's also the fact the worlds and levels have to keep sending you through them.

The vision of creative directors is always constrained by hardware. The HDD is one of the biggest constraints to creative vision in current gen games. The massive jump in bandwidth will allow developers to get much, much closer to that vision. This is true for both XSX and PS5... but the PS5 is much better at it and more over because the PS5 will have true exclusives much sooner we'll see the effect of it much sooner on the PS5 than on the XSX.

People should be more excited about the SSD stuff. The XSX GPU is twice as powerful as the X1X GPU. The PS5 disk->RAM bandwidth is more like 50-100x that of the PS4 Pro disk->RAM bandwidth.

When do you expect third party developers that also target PC ports to stop factoring in PC owners with HDDs when designing their game? Do you think we will see it in the lifetime of the PS5 and Series X?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine either of these consoles having a problem with pop-in or LoDs.

I'm really intrigued to see how Sony's first party takes advantage of its insane SSD speeds beyond pop-in and LoDs... because my feeble brain can't wrap my head around the possibilities.

I'm kinda curious as well, considering we have stuff like Flight Simulator on modern hardware and things like No Man's Sky with ridiculous galaxy sizes.. I guess Star Citizen is a glimpse since its equal parts of both of those games ramped up, but even that is doable with slower SSD.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Xbox could run like a toaster and I'd still buy it if it had amazing games. Same with PS, it could run like utter shite and I'd still spend hundreds on it if the games were incredible.

The difference in specification between the consoles will not be significant enough to manifest itself on any make or break level for multiplatform games. That then leaves other exclusive elements of the consoles as the real deal clincher for the overwhelming majority of people.

For me the lack of power compared to the Xbox was the last thing that concerned me about Sony's announcement today. BC was the biggest thing that concerned me in relation to what MS is offering.

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
It does seem Sony went overboard on the presumably more expensive SSD considering the xbox Series X sdd is said to be more than adequate for gaming, on top of that the xbox has directstorage and a decompression block

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018
I posted this in another thread, but do people think Microsoft is sort of holding back next gen a bit this time? Weaker lockhart seems to be coming, and a weaker ssd. Also, no real focus towards improving audio from the looks.

Oh yeah for sure...Microsoft is holding back next gen with that slow 5400 RPM HDD....

/s

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Huh, I thought Cerny made it clear that even when the power drops they'll only drop about 2% in frequency. So 10.2 flops drops to about 10, and this is offset by the frequency being significantly faster with many elements of the processing working faster than they would on a comparable XSX. I dunno, it sounds like PS5 isn't going to be a vast gulf behind what XSX is capable of pushing. In a world of highly variable resolutions and much more mature techniques to improve lower resolutions on our 4K displays, I can't imagine we're going to be seeing the kinds of 1080p to 900p scenarios we had early on this gen.
If it's only dropping 2% why bother even including such a feature?

Obvious from the spec sheet.
Xbox is the base this gen.

Devs: "we want a drive thats 10x faster"
MS: "Okay here is one 50x faster"
Sony "Okay here is one 100x faster, but we compromised on everything else"
This really kind of sums things up perfectly.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Last gen Sony and MS were equal making it harder for Sony to get 3rd party ps4 exclusives.

Going into next gen Sony have a massive lead over 2:1 which will make it easy to get more 3rd party exclusives. So between those and 1st party there should be plenty of titles to blow us away.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Does the forum believe that the PS5 will have an enhanced version of Cyberpunk available at launch like the Series X? I wonder how the variable clocks on the CPU and GPU will affect CD Projekt Red enhancing it.
I really think people are reading too much to this variable frequency thing. Based on what Cerny presented, it appears that all these innovative systems are quite smart and easy to utilize and require minimal effort from developers. We aren't talking about a Cell situation here. Actually, if you pay attention to the presentation it appears that the PS5's GPU will be more capable at certain tasks that XSX so I'm not even convinced games will run worse at all.

Third party developers have proven over this generation that are perfectly capable at utilizing 100% of each console. During the PS3/360 generation things were different because architectures were VASTLY different. I'm pretty sure third parties won't have any issues developing for the full capabilities of the PS5 which does appear to offer certain unprecedented technologies.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
I really think people are reading too much to this variable frequency thing. Based on what Cerny presented, it appears that all these innovative systems are quite smart and easy to utilize and require minimal effort from developers. We aren't talking about a Cell situation here. Actually, if you pay attention to the presentation it appears that the PS5's GPU will be more capable at certain tasks that XSX so I'm not even convinced games will run worse at all.

Cool. I'm looking forward to that DF comparison Cyberpunk video like a PPV title fight.

Last edited:

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear before I get dog piled, I am in no way stating that PS5 is significantly weaker or a sub-10TF console. I hate console warrior BS. Numbers are what they are and they don't take sides even though the real world impact may be actually even less.

And for me, it's also about BC. Sony's messaging has left a lot to be desired pertaining to this matter (given this was a GDC conference, and not exactly meant for mainstream consumers, it's understandable).

I get what you're saying now. My response was centred on wondering what BC with Xbox One games had to do with this. Sorry, wasn't trying to start a dog pile on you. I'm goofy.

What is goofy about that? He's right. You can pretend the numbers aren't real or don't matter but this is reality. The degree of difference will depend on the game and the developer but the game will also run better on the XSX.

My initial reading was: numbers aside, if someone wanted "BC compatibility with 100% of Xbox One games", that wasn't going to come with the PS5 anyway. I see what he's saying now.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Developers right now spend a massive amount of time building games to work around how slow HDDs are. The classic example in contemporary games is that they'll force you into a confined space where you can't see the area you've just left or the area you're about to enter so that they can get rid of the old and load in the new. The most obvious example of that is the edge-through-tight-gap that you see in God of War, Uncharted, The Last Jedi and so forth. It's not just the annoyance of those low-interactive and repetitive sections that suck, it's also the fact the worlds and levels have to keep sending you through them.

The vision of creative directors is always constrained by hardware. The HDD is one of the biggest constraints to creative vision in current gen games. The massive jump in bandwidth will allow developers to get much, much closer to that vision. This is true for both XSX and PS5... but the PS5 is much better at it and more over because the PS5 will have true exclusives much sooner we'll see the effect of it much sooner on the PS5 than on the XSX.

People should be more excited about the SSD stuff. The XSX GPU is twice as powerful as the X1X GPU. The PS5 disk->RAM bandwidth is more like 50-100x that of the PS4 Pro disk->RAM bandwidth.
People should be excited for both systems but instead we have people cherry picking each area and what they think is better for them to continue on with their preferred brand.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
When do you expect third party developers that also target PC ports to stop factoring in PC owners with HDDs when designing their game? Do you think we will see it in the lifetime of the PS5 and Series X?
The crazy part is that your question still doesn't capture the full magnitude of it. Do you expect developers to stop factoring in PC owners who don't have current high end SSDs? Even the XSX SSD is top of the line currently and a Samsung 370 is around $350 on Amazon right now.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
People should be excited for both systems but instead we have people cherry picking each area and what they think is better for them to continue on with their preferred brand.

Yep. The systems are months from release and we don't have any true real world examples of final product.

We should look forward to more info, this stuff happens with every console generation 😂

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The fast SSD (NVMe) certainly has far more potential than just faster loading. Open word games will see a massive asset streaming improvement, which means keeping framerates stable (60+fps?) while the system is constantly streaming not only exponentially more assets during gameplay, but also significantly higher quality assets.

But fast NVMe needs to be paired with a fast CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if in many cases the PS5s fast NVMe is still bottlenecked by the CPU,which would give the series X the upper hand in many cases, especially when dealing with tons of small files.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
The crazy part is that your question still doesn't capture the full magnitude of it. Do you expect developers to stop factoring in PC owners who don't have current high end SSDs? Even the XSX SSD is top of the line currently and a Samsung 370 is around $350 on Amazon right now.

So I guess we can expect the Witcher 4, From Software games, Capcom games, Namco games, Microsoft games, and Squaresoft games being built around these high flying SSDs no time soon.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
The fast SSD (NVMe) certainly has far more potential than just faster loading. Open word games will see a massive asset streaming improvement, which means keeping framerates stable (60+fps?) while the system is constantly streaming not only exponentially more assets during gameplay, but also significantly higher quality assets.

But fast NVMe needs to be paired with a fast CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if in many cases the PS5s fast NVMe is still bottlenecked by the CPU,which would give the series X the upper hand in many cases, especially when dealing with tons of small files.

well isnt the xsx cpu 3.6 vs 3.5 . Thay doesnt seem like much of a difference. Yes I know they say 3.8 but how many big games are actually going to not utilize smt?

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
It's not really throttling though. The system appears to be way more sophisticated than the usual "boost modes" of other devices. Also, according to Cerny increased frequencies provide certain benefits that are independent to raw TF numbers. So I find people's comparisons rather simplistic.

He can say whatever he wants but its down clocking the CPUs speed - throttling

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I think people are blowing the SSD out of proportion. Its not like a game will load 30 seconds faster than the version on Xbox. It's going to end up being pretty small.

It's good for Sony first party titles since devs can design games in more innovative ways because of it, but that's basically it. It won't get much use outside of slightly faster load times for 3rd party games because devs have to design those games to run on platforms other than the PS5. That's why I'm surprised Sony went all in on the SSD over everything else.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
It makes perfect sense. The gameplay possibilities of the PS5 SSD will be largely be possible on the X.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I get the benefits of SSD over HDD. What I can't wrap my head around is how Sony devs will turn there SSD advantage into practical gains over the competition . Like I know they have a ton of data readily available at all times, but I can't wrap my head around how that will fundamentally change their approach to game design compared to devs working with other SSDs. I've very excited to see what they'll do with, but I have no idea what expect .

I don't really buy that we'll see the true effects of SSD on PS5 sooner just because they are launching with 1st party exclusives. We almost never see the first round software bear fruit in this regard. Sony and MS are surely working on games that will come out in 2021 and beyond next-gen that will be better representations of what SSD is capable of.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing people make this comment, but I'd like to know how. How does having a fast SSD change anything outside of speed for programs? I do not believe its a magic sauce, unless someone can give me an idea.

Did you watch the Playstation presentation? Cerny specifically mentioned a problem they ran into during Jak 2 development

Nov 20, 2019
I don't get it either. Both consoles are very impressive in their own ways. I can't wait to see what devs can pull off with this power. When I see some of the games we got this gen from 1.3 and 1.8 Tflop consoles I'm still blown away. Now we are getting consoles that completely blow those older consoles away and some people are still finding ways to complain, smdh.
LOL exactly, they want 100000000000 TFLOPs of powah lmao.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Switch has two modes so two different fixed clock speeds.

nintendo-switch-clock-speeds.png

PS5 is said to have variable clock speeds but the range of variation hasnt been specified, just the maximum.
I'm fairly certain Switch has added more modes since launch and they even patched some games to be able to switch between modes. Zelda and Mario go to the higher modes just for loading screens, for instance.

www.eurogamer.net

Switch's 'boost mode' tested: what is it and how does it work?

Let's get straight to the point - Switch is indeed evolving and in select scenarios, Nintendo's hardware is becoming mo…

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
well isnt the xsx cpu 3.6 vs 3.5 . Thay doesnt seem like much of a difference. Yes I know they say 3.8 but how many big games are actually going to not utilize smt?
I'm curious if Devs have the ability to turbo up to 3.8 at any time, or if this is a one-time choice made at runtime. It could be very beneficial for the CPU to be able to turbo up or past 3.8 for tasks that are more single-octo core intensive, then slow down and open back up those other 8 threads when needed.

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
Pcie 4.0 NVME can be faster than the XSX SSD.
PC games are fine with telling you to upgrade.

Actually

"The final component in the triumvirate is an extension to DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core.

"Plus it has other benefits," enthuses Andrew Goossen. "It's less latent and it saves a ton of CPU. With the best competitive solution, we found doing decompression software to match the SSD rate would have consumed three Zen 2 CPU cores. When you add in the IO CPU overhead, that's another two cores. So the resulting workload would have completely consumed five Zen 2 CPU cores when now it only takes a tenth of a CPU core. So in other words, to equal the performance of a Series X at its full IO rate, you would need to build a PC with 13 Zen 2 cores. That's seven cores dedicated for the game: one for Windows and shell and five for the IO and decompression overhead."

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely what I'm being reminded of even if this sounds like less of an alien clusterfuck. Probably same end result though in that some games do run and look nicer on PS5, but most will be better on Series X.

Just. Maybe not taking until the end of the gen for it to show from third parties.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That game was made with an hdd in mind.

It was made with a DVD in mind, and we are still dealing with the same compromises as back then. Elevators, long empty corridors, twisty canyon walks, climbing sections, shimmying through cracks... these are all ways devs mask asset streaming that affect gameplay instead of throwing down a loading screen. Further gameplay revolutions are yet to be determined because we've never really had a game focus on a spec baseline that included an SSD

Just imagine if the PS2 was able to load an entire DVD into RAM in less than a second

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Did you watch the Playstation presentation? Cerny specifically mentioned a problem they ran into during Jak 2 development

That problem is also solved by the XSX SSD, which is roughly 40x faster than the drive that was in the One X.

The real differentiator would be something like the example he gave of streaming in game assets as the user is turning around. It seems like there can't be that much data to stream in though? Unless people want 200-300 GB games to rapidly fill up these space constrained SSDs and use up data caps.

Like the XSX can stream in 100 GB (a large game by today's standards) worth of compressed data in a little over 20 seconds. Not sure how games will be designed such that you need to stream in a full games worth of data in 11 seconds instead, but I'm not a dev, so maybe I'm missing the bigger picture.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That problem is also solved by the XSX SSD, which is roughly 40x faster than the drive that was in the One X.

The real differentiator would be something like the example he gave of streaming in game assets as the user is turning around. It seems like there can't be that much data to stream in though? Unless people want 200-300 GB games to rapidly fill up these space constrained SSDs and use up data caps.

Like the XSX can stream in 100 GB (a large game by today's standards) worth of compressed data in a little over 20 seconds. Not sure how games will be designed such that you need to stream in a full games worth of data in 11 seconds instead, but I'm not a dev, so maybe I'm missing the bigger picture.

I would imagine few people would be able to answer that question with regard to PS5's drive specifically, we've never had anything close to this. People seem to think you can cure cancer with an extra 15% GPU power so maybe a 100% faster SSD might tip the scales a bit *shrug*