• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll have to see how things play out. I'm in the camp that sees both consoles being just as identical in practice as the PS4 and Xbox One when it comes to multi-platform performance
Yeah multi plats are generally going to be limited by the lowest common denominator in all specs. So the XBSX's SSD and audio capabilities and the PS5's everything else.

Oct 29, 2017
This article def deserves a
giphy.gif

Who the fuck writes this shit, wait till we see and hear from devs before we talk out our asses
This site is more or less a free for all for tech rumors. If you follow computer parts refresh cycles this is one of those sites that is not only not above posting unverified leaked benchmarks of unannounced CPUs and GPUs, but it is their daily bread.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But what will rly be better on XBX I doubt we see many 30 vs 60 games since both consoles have good CPUs.
And if any resolution differences they will be much harder to notice then this Gen.
What might be easier to notice is if raytracing is rly limited on PS5.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
True, RT will probably be the big differentiator.
As always. Whatever easier to switch with simple move of the slider.
I have a 2080 in my PC with a CPU able to handle all but ultra in 1080, and the biggest difference I can see is on-off , not varying levels of RT. I bet a lot of people feel like me, but there will be others counting all the differences in any given scene. They will be very vocal on forums and debates will last forever.
So, business as usual.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
As always. Whatever easier to switch with simple move of the slider.
I have a 2080 in my PC with a CPU able to handle all but ultra in 1080, and the biggest difference I can see is on-off , not varying levels of RT. I bet a lot of people feel like me, but there will be others counting all the differences in any given scene. They will be very vocal on forums and debates will last forever.
So, business as usual.
Indeed business as usual :) DF will produce a lot of videos going into the details... another fun generation :) With plenty of nit-picking and fights over small details.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If only sony games use the full potential, that's probably fine. They make alot of games and a bunch of them sell a ton.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion came out. One of the major complaints is that the world was no longer an open map; that you couldn't wander in from the forest into the Imperial City without hitting a loading time. Bethesda said it was impossible to keep it seamless because of the limited amount of data the game can load into memory at any one time.

With these SSDs, we can go back to true open worlds by having assets stream in within the blink of an eye. The Elder Scrolls VI has no excuse to not be a seamless open world in the next console generation.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
If Sony went through all this trouble to include a state of the art ssd in the system rather than a more off the shelf and existing part for cheaper - more like ms did; I'd think they'd have to have some kind of vision on how this was to impact more than just some loading times. I kind of wonder if we'll see some games bloating into the 200-300 GB range - in which case you'd need an efficient streaming engine to leverage and the PS5 will be almost twice as good at that. Though this would be kind of a nightmare only being able to store a few games at once.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
And the CPU/GPU/RAM is weaker on the PS5. And your take is that the XSX is somewhat weaker overall? WTF?
I thought the combination of the ssd throughout mitigates the ram speed? The thing is damn fast. Ram in this setup is just to keep things smooth. I feel they engineered it with every piece working together very efficiently (Microsoft to of course).
We will see the games soon and then we can really discuss cons and pros.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
You make it sound like the PS5 is worse than the Wii. Jesus, both consoles are powerful, but the Xbox Series X is more. If we are talking just about teraflops, people still play on a GTX 1080 nowadays and it's not the end of the world.

Agreed. Both machines are powerful. I can't wait to see what games both companies offer.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony went through all this trouble to include a state of the art ssd in the system rather than a more off the shelf and existing part for cheaper - more like ms did; I'd think they'd have to have some kind of vision on how this was to impact more than just some loading times. I kind of wonder if we'll see some games bloating into the 200-300 GB range - in which case you'd need an efficient streaming engine to leverage and the PS5 will be almost twice as good at that. Though this would be kind of a nightmare only being able to store a few games at once.
This will all be clearer once the console and games are actually shown.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the combination of the ssd throughout mitigates the ram speed? The thing is damn fast. Ram in this setup is just to keep things smooth. I feel they engineered it with every piece working together very efficiently (Microsoft to of course).

no lol. Even at these speeds, ram is around 100x faster.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is where it gets dangerously misleading when marketing talks tech. No offense to you but an SSD is not able to offset ram speed, they are orders of magnitudes in distance.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Obvious from the spec sheet.
Xbox is the base this gen.

Devs: "we want a drive thats 10x faster"
MS: "Okay here is one 50x faster"
Sony "Okay here is one 100x faster, but we compromised on everything else"
Exactly. Both consoles are blindingly fast, so third party games will be designed load screen-free on both. Sony first party games can potentially push open world stream loading to insane levels. But BOTH consoles have SSD speeds that outshine the vast majority of PC SSDs, and games will be designed specifically for SSDs now (well, after the cross gen period).

Also worth remembering that the GPU difference between these two new consoles is the narrowest we've seen in a new generation. Both will look mind blowing. A lot of people in speculation threads couldn't imagine either console hitting more than 8-9TFs yet here we are at 10-12. Things are looking REALLY good for both companies =)

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about the specs either way, I only buy consoles for the exclusives, hence Sony and Nintendo. I have a PC for raw power that I can upgrade, I don't buy consoles for that.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
That was exactly my thought, i get they have an insanely fast SSD, but third party developer will still want to release their games for XB and PC so they will have to take into consideration slower SSD and even HD in some cases, which means all the talks from Sony about develop the game based on that SSD adding new features and stuff will only be possible for Sony first party titles, while for third party it will likely translate in just 2 or 3 seconds faster loading time on PS5 than on XB or PC

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I've seen some hot takes, but comparing PS5 to PS3? How did we even end up here?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yeah multi plats are generally going to be limited by the lowest common denominator in all specs. So the XBSX's SSD and audio capabilities and the PS5's everything else.
In a couple of years things will settle down but for now the lowest common denominator will be the PS4, Xbox One and PC (until they mandate SSD for their games). Right now there is just too many current customers to simply ignore. With game development taking multiple years and upwards of hundreds of millions of dollars, just how many AAA games will we have that take full use of the hardware in the beginning?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Uh, Microsoft has shown games taking tens of seconds to load on the XSX. That should be halved on the PS5. Hardly unnoticeable.
Microsoft showed existing games with no optimization being shown and on avergae they were 6 seconds. We have no idea how long Series X games will take and games that are optimized. The PS5 will have the edge here with faster to no loading but let's not act like Series X will be slow. There will be a huge differnce from current gen.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Microsoft showed existing games with no optimization being shown and on avergae they were 6 seconds. We have no idea how long Series X games will take and games that are optimized. The PS5 will have the edge here with faster to no loading but let's not act like Series X will be slow. There will be a huge differnce from current gen.
I'm not. I'm just saying that the difference should be noticeable. The XSX SSD is still pretty damn fast.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm really happy with this. This is the first gen between PS and Xbox where the power difference is so small, yet a game ground up on PS5 will struggle on SX and vice versa, definitely presents in an interesting situation for 3rd party developers. The First Party exclusives and Partnerships is reason alone for me to purchase a PS5, just hope Sony revives some awesome IP's from yesteryears.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'm not. I'm just saying that the difference should be noticeable. The XSX SSD is still pretty damn fast.

2x a very small number is also a very small number.

I mean, technically a 2ms Input lag is double a 1ms input lag. Doesn't mean 2ms Input lag is noticeable to 99% of people.

yet a game ground up on PS5 will struggle on SX and vice versa,

This is highly unlikely. I'm not sure what you'd build on the Ps5 SSD that can't run on the XSX SSD with either slightly more load time or some masking. You can saturate your RAM pool in 2 seconds on PS5. Doing it in 4 seconds won't change anything with respect to world design.

Similarly, anything built to run on the Series X should run on the PS5 with some visual tweaks to cater for the lower power or (alleged) reduced RT capability.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really happy with this. This is the first gen between PS and Xbox where the power difference is so small, yet a game ground up on PS5 will struggle on SX and vice versa, definitely presents in an interesting situation for 3rd party developers. The First Party exclusives and Partnerships is reason alone for me to purchase a PS5, just hope Sony revives some awesome IP's from yesteryears.

A game ground up on Series X would just run at a lower frame rate and resolution on PS5. A game ground up on PS5 would have more loading screens and less consistent worlds on Series X.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
2x a very small number is also a very small number.

I mean, technically a 2ms Input lag is double a 1ms input lag. Doesn't mean 2ms Input lag is noticeable to 99% of people.
Yes, but we are still talking almost 10 second load times for Gears 5 on XSX. That would be less than 5 on the PS5. Noticeable. And that's a last-gen game.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go again. One console holding back the entire generation for the foreseeable future AGAIN. Question is: which one?

The PS5 isn't going to hold back the XSX meaningfully.

What is going to hold back multiplats will primarily be:
Xbox One S/X & PC in the short term (to a large extent)
Lockhart in the long term (to a much lesser extent)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the PS5 can't run both the CPU and GPU at 100% performance at the same time and the variable speeds allow devs to make some scenes more CPU intensive and others more GPU intensive. I would say it is a very good approach the only problem being the XSX has them beat in fixed clocks.

As it happens, turns out that's akin to something that the Switch does:

www.eurogamer.net

New Switch mod delivers real-time CPU, GPU and thermal monitoring - and the results are remarkable

Back in the day it was all about FRAPS. These days, Riva Tuner Statistics Server and OCAT are the tools of choice. For …

However, there is a twist and it's something we've covered before, that we can now see play out in real-time - Nintendo's 'boost mode'. This amounts to optimisations in how certain games selectively overclock the CPU to improve loading times. For example, when you die in Mario Odyssey, the screen fades to black and the game loads you back to the last checkpoint. There is a fairly quick turnaround in Odyssey but this is faster thanks to boost mode. During loading, the CPU gets upclocked temporarily to 1785MHz - a 75 per cent increase on the stock clock. Meanwhile, the GPU actually drops all the way down to 76.8MHz - a tenth of its usual speed. Nintendo is balancing thermals by overclocking one component to the max, while downclocking another to the bare minimum.

Mortal Kombat 11 is a classic example. After the arena's loaded in, the GPU boosts to 460MHz from the opening cutscenes to gameplay. It's an exceptionally high clock speed, but it's limited to gameplay only. Back at the menus we go back to 384MHz again. Super Mario Odyssey uses the same improved GPU clock, but there are some surprising releases that don't. Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice would likely benefit from the higher frequencies - its dynamic resolution would be higher and its frame-rate more solid, yet it's running locked at the standard 384MHz.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but we are still talking almost 10 second load times for Gears 5 on XSX. That would be less than 5 on the PS5. Noticeable. And that's a last-gen game.

That's not how it works, SSD speed isn't the only factor. You actually need to process the data too (or at least some of it).

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
PS3-alike failure all over again.
They learnt nothing besides despite repeating it again and again.
Oh come on. You can be disappointed with PS5 without making such dumb comparisons. You seem to forget how PS3 went so here's a reminder: PS3 was much harder to program for, cost significantly more than competitors and caused Sony to lose billions, and produced results only on par or slightly ahead of X360.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
On paper Series X looks like a beast and definitely has the advantage over PS5, but look at XB1X vs Pro right now. X is way more powerful than a Pro, yet PS4 is hugely outselling it. Some games on X run at native 4K while the PS4 Pro uses reconstruction more, and most people don't notice or care. In fact, the increase in resolution on X has often resulted in worse performance on X titles. As I've said before, I always get both consoles and this coming gen will be no different, but judging what your experience will be on raw numbers alone might not work.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On paper Series X looks like a beast and definitely has the advantage over PS5, but look at XB1X vs Pro right now. X is way more powerful than a Pro, yet PS4 is hugely outselling it. Some games on X run at native 4K while the PS4 Pro uses reconstruction more, and most people don't notice or care. In fact, the increase in resolution on X has often resulted in worse performance on X titles. As I've said before, I always get both consoles and this coming gen will be no different, but judging what your experience will be on raw numbers alone might not work.
Reconstruction techniques are also much better now than what is currently used on the Pro and the gap this time is only 15% rather than 40% (in pure CU, PS5 has an advantage in rasterization, which we will see if it makes a difference).

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about next-gen games but the difference in loading times in current games between sata SSDs and nvme SSDs (4-6 times faster) is almost unnoticeable. I could see the PS5's faster SSD being better for development purposes but I don't see games changing as much as Sony says. Significantly shorter loading times and more assets is what I'm expecting.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SSD so fast you don't need RAM?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Y'all gotta stop using the x1x/pro as examples. No games are built for those systems. They're made to run on tech from 2013 and those systems were underpowered when released too. The xbox one even worse off than the ps4.

This is uncharted territory.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Some games on X run at native 4K while the PS4 Pro uses reconstruction more, and most people don't notice or care. In fact, the increase in resolution on X has often resulted in worse performance on X titles.

This gen, most developers will aim for 4K 60fps on both consoles. At the same resolution, I wouldn't expect worse performance on the more powerful console.