• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
You talk like the XSX is still running a mechanical HDD.

The SSD on the XSX is way faster than for example the Samsung 970 Pro NVMe. By a lot. There is nothing faster right now on the PC market.

Which is pretty funny because MS were the ones who actually demoed ine of the first features of ssd other than bare bone loading speed.

They demoed quick resume. Anyone know if ps5 announced an equivalent?

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
PS5 will excel at open world games. eg. Grand Theft Auto 6.

Plenty of 3rd-party studios will push this tech to the limits.

PeterLegend

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My only big disappointment is that we have a PS2 and PS3 library that cant be played on the PS5. Ugh

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
User Banned (3 Days) : Off-topic trolling and platform warring; prior ban for trolling
Xbox day one. For 3rd party and 1st.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Lol I think this is a bit premature. Sony are advancing memory speeds to a ridiculous degree that will legitimately perform better than the opposition.

Sure the XSX looks fast now compared to what we're used to but if you use a PS5 and XSX regularly you will start noticing the "lag" on the XSX when it comes to launching games, switching between games etc. When one is six seconds to load up and one is 2 seconds that is noticeable. Day in day out. If you had two phones and one launches apps in one second which is almost instant, and one takes 3 or 4 seconds, every time, you'd soon notice and want the quicker one. And that's before the benefits to streaming which admittedly might only be really taken advantage of by first parties, but still it opens new doors to entirely unique never before seen game design.

And audio. Especially for VR this will be revolutionary if it comes across anything like as well as it has been painted as.
The series X is still more powerful in everything else and gamers will notice that too.
This is going to be interesting

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The way I see it is that any game can scale to use more GPU/CPU/RAM, but only certain games can benefit from an insanely fast SSD.

A game like RE7 where you're walking around a house only has so many things that need to be quickly loaded in. The Xbox SSD is already really fast as it stands.

The big use case seems to be open world games where you move really fast (Spider-man, GTA).

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Obvious from the spec sheet.
Xbox is the base this gen.

Devs: "we want a drive thats 10x faster"
MS: "Okay here is one 50x faster"
Sony "Okay here is one 100x faster, but we compromised on everything else"
That sounds about right.

I fail to see how MS' 50x faster I/o SSD to RAM is not enough for streaming anything you want at any given time that would actually make you think 'you know what, this is not acceptable, we need twice that'.

Series X faster 10gb RAM pool and sustained 4.8gb/s ssd read speeds seem pretty practical to me.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is pretty funny because MS were the ones who actually demoed ine of the first features of ssd other than bare bone loading speed.

They demoed quick resume. Anyone know if ps5 announced an equivalent?
It's probably going to be castrated on the PS5. If the 1TB in the Xbox is only enough for them to save five games, assuming no more than 150-200 GB system reserved making the usable user space less than 750GB, imagine when they only have 825GB x .93 = 767GB to start with.
How much can they really reserve before the public complains? 100GB?

Jan 11, 2020
Lol love it, so much secret SSD sauce right now.. Apparently that's the real game changer, never mind that both consoles got one..

All the talk about MS new API and the "Velocity architecture" is not anywhere to be seen, we'll see if they respond to this in the coming days.

Oct 27, 2017
As others have echoed, the crazy fast ssd will probably only be fully utilized in 1st party/exclusive games. 3rd party will still need to design around slower storage, and the Xbox will likely have a performance/resolution advantage in those games over the PS5.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
I posted this in another thread, but do people think Microsoft is sort of holding back next gen a bit this time? Weaker lockhart seems to be coming, and a weaker ssd. Also, no real focus towards improving audio from the looks.
Lol no. Absolutely not.

Xbox One X has Dolby Atmos which PS4 doesn't have and Xbox Series X has 3D audio like PS5 does, so it's not like MS doesn't have "real focus" on audio side. They absolutely do.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain how a faster hard drive will help with anything besides loading times?

Will the relatively slow speed of the series x hard drive be some bif bottleneck compared to the PS5?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gloom in here vs the tangible praise and excitement from developers who are actually using the thing couldn't be farther apart 😄

the 'gloom' is on Reddit, Yotube and Twitter too.

There definitely isn't the same buzz that was around even when the logo was shown.

I'm day 1 on PS5 but it's not great that it feels like people are doing damage control or assuring others it'll all come together eventually.

Sony had THE perfect marketing blueprint for this gen, and it included showing games very early on that were dazzling.

I hope we get that hype again.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Last gen Sony and MS were equal making it harder for Sony to get 3rd party ps4 exclusives.

Going into next gen Sony have a massive lead over 2:1 which will make it easy to get more 3rd party exclusives. So between those and 1st party there should be plenty of titles to blow us away.
What lead? They both launch with 0 consoles sold.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone explain how a faster hard drive will help with anything besides loading times?

It will allow games to load in far more assets at any one time, or in one's immediate field of vision in a game, irrespective of your velocity or the density/size of the game world or assets (within reason).

Guerilla Games mentioned that they couldn't include flight in HZD at the fidelity they had their game world, due to streaming speeds, this set up would completely remedy that.

Same with with Spider-Mans velocity or speed correlating to the density and fidelity of the city.

Basically, devs are going to be able to stream in shit loads of data at any given time on the fly.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

Will the relatively slow speed of the series x hard drive be some bif bottleneck compared to the PS5?
the major shift with SSDs will be towards streaming engines. Meaning the field of view and a little bit of space around it will fill a lot of the Ram. When you turn outside of the loaded fov area, the game will load the new assets in dynamically from the SSD just before you see it.

With 2x the Ssd speed there can be more Ram resources (assets, textures etc) placed in the FOV and less of those things in pre-loaded into the Ram as a buffer in case they are needed. A faster SSD gives more allowance for how much can be streamed into the game on demand.

In short, the game world can be more dense and you can move faster through it even with the same amount of Ram.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony sacrificed everything else for this SSD. My point still stands, Sony dropped the ball.

In what way? Some of yall legit acting like most 3rd party games are going to be night and day between these two consoles when more than likely the differences will be marginal to the average consumer.

Both consoles will look and run amazing and it's going to come down to the First Party as usual to show off the systems power.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
They're saying this is essentially the same as the DS4 touchpad, which cross platform titles never utilized whatsoever since no other platform used that control surface.

I think that's a false equivalency though since even games that aren't designed around the faster SSD speeds will benefit from them, while exclusive titles built from the ground up with these speeds mind could potentially usher in a paradigm shift in how developers think about streaming assets during gameplay.

All this brave new world shit while only a safrificing a couple flops I'd say is worth it.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
The DF analysis directly contradicts the speculative interpretation of John's comment, not sure why this is still a thing.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
A lot more clock speeds than that. Handheld mode has at least 3 unique GPU clockspeeds.

Then there's the temporary CPU boost for se games like botw, Odyssey etc to boost load times.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
They're saying this is essentially the same as the DS4 touchpad, which cross platform titles never utilized whatsoever since no other platform used that control surface.

I think that's a false equivalency though since even games that aren't designed around the faster SSD speeds will benefit from them, while exclusive titles built from the ground up with these speeds mind could potentially usher in a paradigm shift in how developers think about streaming assets during gameplay.

All this brave new world shit while only a safrificing a couple flops I'd say is worth it.

That Brave New World shit?

The XSX will be able to do that also more or less... Again, X ain't rocking a 5400 RPM hd.

I am excited for the PS5 though.

Oct 25, 2017
The DF analysis directly contradicts the speculative interpretation of John's comment, not sure why this is still a thing.

Because I'll tell you. The simple fact that the PS5 doesn't have as many TF's, stronger CPU and GPU it's deemed a "shit" system and a "disaster" and this is something to just thread into the narrative as a negative. People really have no idea what they are talking about.

I can't wait for games to be shown on both systems so it'll be seen that both consoles will be a beast.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The variable CPU speed in particular seems like a surprisingly half-assed solution for a purpose built gaming device. I could see this being a sticking point for the generation, I mean, besides the weaker GPU.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
lol this is fucking dumb, so devs aren't programming for the higher SSD speed somehow magically slows it down 2x the throughput? what an idiotic comment.

Lmfao, you make a good point though. Mind you, this is the same argument people made about Lockhart and the fact series x games can still be played on the original Xbox one. Everything is going to be held back the first few years - Xbox included. First parties will be the best to see improvements

Third party games will definetly shine more on the Xbox Series X

Not so sure about that. People expected thesame with the Xbox one x - and constantly we get games that perform WORST on the one x. The power gap is reportedly even smaller with the series x and ps5

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The variable CPU speed in particular seems like a surprisingly half-assed solution for a purpose built gaming device. I could see this being a sticking point for the generation, I mean, besides the weaker GPU.
The weaker everything, in all honesty.

Except for the SSD. Can't forget the most important spec!

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
That Brave New World shit?

The XSX will be able to do that also more or less... Again, X ain't rocking a 5400 RPM hd.

I am excited for the PS5 though.
If devs have been asking for it specifically and saying it's the most exciting thing in 20 years, I'm glad PS5 went above and beyond. I assume it's something that might get put to some use. I guess we'll see.

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
The pivoting that everyone is doing on this SSD is very entertaining, there literally is no one excited about a SDD in the gaming world bar a few developers and fanbois that are propping this up like its going to power the whole generation. I guess this is the consoles only saving grace so you got to shill for something, but my god is it niche and minuscule, we are literally talking about shaving of SECONDS in loading and assets loading's which are already insanely fast on NVME drives.

It is a unnecessary overkill that will only cost consumers money as those SSD's are going to be stupid expensive when they release on PC to meet the requirements Sony's has set. All that mocking and moaning about the XSX proprietary memory card and how it will be very expensive, yet not a single peep from anyone here about the issue PS5 is going to run in.

More powerful unit with more RT ability or saving 3/4 seconds on loading this seems like a hard decision.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Right so Mark Cerny travelled around the world and met with a hundred or so developers and based on their feedback decided to design this 5.5GB/s SSD. And no one is going to really use that outside first party? Bullshit.

The whole console is designed with developer input, variable frequencies and all. The one thing he mentioned was a Sony leap was the 3D audio.

Last edited:

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's probably going to be castrated on the PS5. If the 1TB in the Xbox is only enough for them to save five games, assuming no more than 150-200 GB system reserved making the usable user space less than 750GB, imagine when they only have 825GB x .93 = 767GB to start with.
How much can they really reserve before the public complains? 100GB?

It's not that different than Windows hibernate mode so you'd only need to save the amount of RAM to disk that the game is using at the time you suspended it.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 sure isn't getting the most exciting headlines. Hopefully it's 399.
I'd bet on it. It seems like the same strategy they had with the PS4 Pro; make it as good of an upgrade it can be without going over the critical $400. If they go over price, it's going to lose any real marketing edge.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Right so Mark Cerny travelled around the work and met with a hundred or so developers and based on their feedback decided to design this 5.5GB/s SSD. And no one is going to really use that outside first party? Bullshit.
Exactly. Plenty of armchair developers in here think they know better which I doubt. Mark cerny knows his shit and listened to the devs. Cmon now lll

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
at $400 it would be very attractive, I just don't see it. Maybe they just take the hit. They should.

I think ps brand is so strong that they can launch at same price and it won't really hurt much and in a year or so it will hit $400 anyway.