• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
image0.png

image0.png

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Delicious 2 extra frames. Imagine what the next 28 updates could bring us, 30+ frames!

It's like how eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich gives you an extra 30 minutes of life. If we could just keep getting firmware updates every day, we'll be gaming at 1000+ fps in a few years!

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
So a 5% boost in cpu speeds?

edit: driver improvements are more likely.

Last edited:

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It's like how eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich gives you an extra 30 minutes of life. If we could just keep getting firmware updates every day, we'll be gaming at 1000+ fps in a few years!
Eerie flashbacks of Kyle from Ars Technica who did pretty much that sort of math in a serious article.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This totally fucks up the narrative that PlayStation engineers shipped a PS4 with an SSD slapped onto it with zero room for maturity.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I'm sure this happens a lot but with games being locked to 30/60 in many cases you don't always notice the new headroom. PS5 has drivers just like your PC does, and sometimes those drivers are optimized. You just don't see laundry lists of patch notes about it, you see "System software stability has been improved".

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This totally fucks up the narrative that PlayStation engineers shipped a PS4 with an SSD slapped onto it with zero room for maturity.

I know there were some searing hot takes before and after the PS5 launched...but this one here? Cot dayum....lol.

I'm sure this happens a lot but with games being locked to 30/60 in many cases you don't always notice the new headroom. PS5 has drivers just like your PC does, and sometimes those drivers are optimized. You just don't see laundry lists of patch notes about it, you see "System software stability has been improved".

Good to see those API evolving over time. 👍

Yup. Although this was a thing at one point...that the PS5 tools were already maxed out with no room for improvement. That could be part of the other post I quoted above, lol.

I could have sworn Rich went over this in the video him and GN did, saying it wasnt that big a deal. Saying there was no cpu, gpu boost by Sony. Granted I didnt see this video yet so I dont know whats implied in it.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I think the problem of publicly listing bugfixes for a consumer product is that these are often hundreds of tiny bugfixes and optimizations that are impossible to explain to the general public. It's just better to group it in generic categories (performance and stability in the notes would means optimization and bugfixes, respectively). They only describe the patch notes when it's a user-facing change or new feature.

Do we really want to see a hundred things like... "#62273 (bugfix5553 branch merge) [resolved]: memory mapping exception in abcxyz.so when the alloc block size in abcxyz_alloc_map() is above 64k with indirect addressing and recently evicted from cache".

A.k.a, performance and stability was improved in some games.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yup. Although this was a thing at one point...that the PS5 tools were already maxed out with no room for improvement. That could be part of the other post I quoted above, lol.
I don't think most people actually believed that. When discussing early DF comparison and mentioning the state of Xbox tools, it was in my opinion more about people pointing out that Xbox API was a revamp (which Control dev, DF, ... confirmed) and in a much worse place than PS API. So there were more improvements possible than on PS side, which was already in a good place.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This is cool, never seen system updates improve game performance. I believe Xbox has done the same, with control now running better with no game updates.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Funny, the Series X also recently had a performance increase in Control without a patch from Remedy.

edit: they mention it at the end of the segment

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony really taking their time adding VRR, lot of these issues with FPS would be gone with that