• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
PUBG on Xbox One starts up promisingly enough with a decent, attractive front-end, but once you've moved on from character creation to your first in-game lobby, you're instantly besieged by low resolution textures that seem to be failing to stream in properly, combined with performance just above or below the 20fps threshold - depending on whether you're playing on Xbox One or its significantly more powerful 4K counterpart.

Moving onto deployment into the game's single map (the PC's second map is en route), performance continues to be a struggle, kicking off with a prolonged stutter before moving on to 15-20fps territory as the transport plane flies above the map. In terms of first impressions, PUBG is borderline horrendous - an assault of low quality artwork, jarring pop-in and disappointing performance. Input lag also feels off - whether that's down to deadzone issues on the analogue sticks or the variable frame-rate remains to be seen (it's something we're looking into) and in this respect at least, it's the same story whether you're gaming on a standard Xbox or the X.

Does the situation improve once you're deeper into the gameplay? Well, a 30fps cap with correct frame-pacing is in there, and there are areas of the map that can yield an agreeable enough experience, when gameplay does indeed hit the target frame-rate. However, there is very little consistency overall. An extended journey across the landscape in a jeep can play out smoothly enough, with a flawless 30fps line. Meanwhile, entering a house, opening a toilet door and exchanging fire with a lurking assailant can see frame-rate dip to 20fps for no reason we can readily come up with.

PUBG is indeed enhanced for Xbox One X, and although we've only had time for a cursory comparison, the improvements are substantial. First of all, native rendering resolution jumps from 1080p up to full 4K. Secondly, texture detail gets a significant upgrade - it's still far off the standards set by most console titles, but it's clearly a massive upgrade compared to what's served up for base Xbox users. Additionally, foliage draw distance also gets a big, big boost on Microsoft's 4K console.

More: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-pubg-xbox-one-and-xbox-one-x-performance

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the authentic PUBG experience impressively adopted onto the Xbox platform.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I've been playing a little here and there since last night on an XBO X at 4K, and it runs like sludge. I think we'll see a lot of updates and improvements, but I'd like the option to turn graphics way the fuck down to get a solid 30fps.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can't spell early access without ass. Who thought 20fps was a good idea? Or is the idea just release something that performs shitty and defend it by calling it early access?

Fermbiz

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Guess I'll wait till the fix the problems. Was really looking forward to playing it

Apophis

Nov 6, 2017
Germany
But native 4k? SMH. Maybe screw native 4k (overrated resolution imo) and make it run at 1440p with a stable framerate? Just an idea.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo, I guess we can now all agree that they dont have it running internally at 60fps on XB1X.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Serious performance issues especially at the start. I'm impressed how so many people have bought it this early. Hopefully they'll address this, or maybe they won't and people will keep on playing like PC.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
This game never cease to amaze me how bad it runs on even the most powerful hardware. Optimize this piece of junk for gods sake.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
That's why the release went silent. I was wondering if there was something fishy, here it is !

I have a regular Xbox One, i thought the game would be at least 30fps... not buying this crap, will wait until they fix their problems. Got so many games to play anyway.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't the game run horrible on PCs too? It's an early access game as well. Game just seems janky overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.