• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Insomniac's first true PlayStation 5 exclusive - Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - saw an extended gameplay trailer released this week. John Linneman and Alex Battaglia share their impressions on the excellent technology we witnessed.

• Excellent animation
  • Real-time cutscenes have a pre-rendered look
  • Rivet reflects on enemy visor
  • RT is similar to Miles Morales
  • Alex believes Insomniac are most likely using spline hair rendering technology for Ratchet and Rivet's fur
  • A lot of geometry on display
  • It's tricky to see visible triangle edges on objects which brings it closer to an animated movie
  • Wonderful post processing and motion blur
  • Planets are more complex and densely populated
  • Pink fluid doesn't have a light source
  • Nice depth of field during gunplay
  • Rain falls correctly
  • First game to use SSD for traversal mechanics
  • smoke particles are lit
  • Great indirect lighting during the bug speeder scene
  • John and Alex believe the two MC's are hand animated for faithful representation
  • Great Photo-mode and accessibility option

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Trying not to watch any of the footage to avoid spoiling myself, if someone could provide a bullet point summary that'd be much appreciated.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Really great looking game, those transitions between scenes are awesome. We're still not quite "Pixar" levels, but damn if this isn't a leap forward.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Trying not to watch any of the footage to avoid spoiling myself, if someone could provide a bullet point summary that'd be much appreciated.

This is essentially a commentary:

• Excellent animation
  • Alex believes Insomniac are most likely using spline hair rendering technology for Ratchet and Rivet's fur
  • It's tricky to see visible triangle edges on objects which brings it closer to an animated movie
  • Rain falls correctly
  • John and Alex believe the two MC's are hand animated for faithful representation

Last edited:

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Looks stunning. I still can't believe people were saying this game looked cross gen when it was first announced (I had an embarrassing meltdown over that lol)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Great video, the main difference between Ratchet gameplay and prerendered look(in engine) is realtime GI. Mix all other Ratchet technology and Metro enhanced GI lighting and it would probably looks nearly like in engine prerendered stuff.

Curious to see if they will add in the future some innovation using geometry engine for better LOD transition or go with virtualised shadow maps like UE 5 demo for better shadows.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Not watching anything. Any word on pop in/Lod transitions ? That's the nĀ°1 thing that drives me mad.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Tech analysis aside, am I the only one who thinks the letter Font does not fit R&C at all? The 2016 game had a font that was more digital, like on a digital clock, and thought that was neat. This one throws me off a bit every time I see it lmao.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is essentially a commentary:

• Excellent animation
  • Rain falls correctly

Appreciate it!

Jan 10, 2018
This is the first time I've really taken some time to watch footage from this game. And wow...I'm absolutely blown away by these videos. This surely has to be the most technically impressive game we've seen so far?

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not watching anything. Any word on pop in/Lod transitions ? That's the nĀ°1 thing that drives me mad.
Cherno also mentioned this in his video, some shadow cascading, "pop-in" but mentioned it in a very praising way as being handled very well, rather a not very noticable slide-in than a pop-in

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I haven't been this excited for a ratchet title for a long ass time, everything just looks so incredible.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
You know, they're right. There really isn't discernible polygon anywhere on the screen, even with the insanely dense amount of geometry in each scene. It's stunning.

By next gen, or with a Pro console perhaps, and they're able to add RT lighting with accurate RT shadows to this, it would be almost completely indistinguishable from an offline render. Insomniac really are fucking incredible. Just an absurd amount of talent.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Great summary, well done, Alex and John

Really want to see what this game looks like at 60fps - I really feel like that's kind of an essential thing with Ratchet now after the last game was patched. Hard to go back.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You know, they're right. There really isn't discernible polygon anywhere on the screen, even with the insanely dense amount of geometry in each scene. It's stunning.

By next gen, or with a Pro console perhaps, and they're able to add RT lighting with accurate RT shadows to this, it would be almost completely indistinguishable from an offline render. Insomniac really are fucking incredible. Just an absurd amount of talent.
Wait for software optimization. What they already did with RT is unbelievable. They are tech wizards, their last game on the console will maybe reach that.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the first game I'll be fine (well mostly) paying 70 for. Can't wait to dig into this video later.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Wait for software optimization. What they already did with RT is unbelievable. They are tech wizards, their last game on the console will maybe reach that.
The RT hardware seems fairly limited on these consoles. Think about how much of a leap RT has made on the PC from when these consoles would have been finalizing their hardware specs. There will be a limit.

BUT. Devs like Insomniac already have endless solutions and tricks up their sleeves to get the most possible out of what's available to them, they are already doing it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The RT hardware seems fairly limited on these consoles. Think about how much of a leap RT has made on the PC from when these consoles would have been finalizing their hardware specs. There will be a limit.

BUT. Devs like Insomniac already have endless solutions and tricks up their sleeves to get the most possible out of what's available to them, they are already doing it.
That's why optimization is needed because of the fixed hardware.
Just look at particles through the lifetime of PS4.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
It looks waaay better than older Pixar movies. The most current pre-rendered animation is always going to look better than games coming out at the same time, but surely no one thinks this looks worse than A Bug's Life.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Well yeah, and the compromise here is 30fps. And that would be a compromise much too far if it weren't for the fact there will be a day one patch for a 60fps mode. Let's just hope there are a couple of modes like Spider-Man, with no-RT at higher resolution 60fps and with RT at lower resolution and lower LoD settings. After Spider-Man I've no doubt Insomniac will be working on the same options for this.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Well yeah, and the compromise here is 30fps. And that would be a compromise much too far if it weren't for the fact there will be a day one patch for a 60fps mode. Let's just hope there are a couple of modes like Spider-Man, with no-RT at higher resolution 60fps and with RT at lower resolution. After Spider-Man I've no doubt Insomniac will be working on the same options for this.
30fps looks and feels great is Insomniac games. Personally I would have been fine with just 30 and no other option.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It looks waaay better than older Pixar movies. The most current pre-rendered animation is always going to look better than games coming out at the same time, but surely no one thinks this looks worse than A Bug's Life.
Absolutely shits on Toy Story 1. So we can finally put an end to the "but does it look like Toy Story?" thought exercise.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
30fps looks and feels great is Insomniac games. Personally I would have been fine with just 30 and no other option.
Great for you I guess. Personally I hated 30fps in Ratchet PS4 and I actually skipped the 30fps PS3 games because.. they were 30fps. The move to 30 literally ruined one of my favourite franchises. Just look at the reaction thread to the 60fps patch for Ratchet PS4 and you can see how significant the difference is when going from 30 to 60 when playing.

It doesn't matter anyway as there's an option luckily.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Definitely not, but that came out in 1998 haha. Realtime graphics, though, have definitely caught up (to a degree), but are still far behind. I would put it around the 2004 mark for PIXAR, but that's an extremely high bar to compare against and the technology differences makes comparison kinda moot.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Great for you I guess. Personally I hated 30fps in Ratchet PS4 and I actually skipped the 30fps PS3 games because.. they were 30fps. The move to 30 literally ruined one of my favourite franchises. Just look at the reaction thread to the 60fps patch for Ratchet PS4 and you can see how significant the difference is when going from 30 to 60 when playing.

It doesn't matter anyway as there's an option luckily.
The average person doesn't care that much. Yes people complain here, it's a niche enthusiast forum. Doesn't really mean much in the scheme of things.

Having a 60fps option though is awesome, I could not agree more.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The average person doesn't care that much. Yes people complain here, it's a niche enthusiast forum. Doesn't really mean much in the scheme of things.

While true, the option to select 60fps in current-gen software is perhaps requested now, more than ever. It'll be a common frame-rate target this gen.
This is going to be my favorite thing this generation. It does so much to the scene.
It does indeed.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why but it eyebrows on his already fuzzy face seems weird.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The average person doesn't care about videogames at all. But clearly enough people care for Sony to release multiple 60fps patches for their PS4 games, and for Insomniac to put a 60fps mode in Spider-Man, for Housemarque to focus on 60fps in Returnal, for a 60fps mode in Demon's Souls. For Nintendo to focus on 60fps for the majority of their games. For 60fps being mandatory for every CoD. .. Etc
Yes šŸ‘šŸ¼

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This looks very very good and is a tempting way for me to approach my own playthrough, but I remain curious about their 60fps mode more than anything.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The average person doesn't care about videogames at all. But clearly enough people care for Sony to release multiple 60fps patches for their PS4 games, and for Insomniac to put a 60fps mode in Spider-Man, for Housemarque to focus on 60fps in Returnal, for a 60fps mode in Demon's Souls. For Nintendo to focus on 60fps for the majority of their games. For 60fps being mandatory for every CoD. .. Etc

Yes šŸ‘šŸ¼
60 is essential for a shooter or a game that requires precise movement like a Returnal. I would say it's not as important to something like Ratchet. I do agree that I really like how a lot games early in this gen are going for 60fps. Definitely something that hasn't been that common in recent console gens that targeted 30 more commonly.

Personally I think there's room for both in the console space. Just depends on the game and depends on the limitations.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
60 is essential for a shooter or a game that requires precise movement like a Returnal. I would say it's not as important to something like Ratchet. I do agree that I really like how a lot games early in this gen are going for 60fps. Definitely something that hasn't been that common in recent console gens that targeted 30 more commonly.

Personally I think there's room for both in the console space. Just depends on the game and depends on the limitations.

I agree with you. For shooters, especially online ones, the target should be 60 fps. For most other games, as long as there are no drops 30 is fine. 60 fps is still the ideal frame rate in my mind, but if a game is at a solid 30 with no drops, I'll be alright with it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac are showing off....good lord every time I watch the clip it still looks amazing.

That there was debate about this from folks that probably dont have a PS4 or were used to it but not on a level like this says it all.

This here is an under appreciated amazing thing.