• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017

This is an interesting product! We went into this one expecting to spend most of our time replaying the Capcom classics but ended up discovering a whole lot more of interest in the arcade giant's exceptional CPS1/CPS2 line-up. Join John Linneman and Audi Sorlie for the definitive breakdown of the Capcom Home Arcade!

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Still hate the fact that the buttons are not just solid colours but part of the capcom logo. Still good video though and an interesting product.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still can't believe they locked Alien vs. Predator behind this thing.

There's so many of us who'd happily pay 15 - 20 bucks for an arcade port on consoles.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how good this is, I could never see myself buying it because of how big and dumb it looks. I really don't know what they were thinking.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

There's so many of us who'd happily pay 15 - 20 bucks for an arcade port on consoles.
Yep, I wouldn't hesitate to drop $20 for AvP. Not even considering purchasing a giant Capcom logo, though. I already have too many arcade sticks, and this one is too gaudy to have in my living room.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, will watch this when I get home.

They didn't.

This is 100% a koch device, capcom just agreed to license games, Koch did the chasing on the AVP license themselves too. Interesting interview here on the subject:

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome, will watch this when I get home.

They didn't.

This is 100% a koch device, capcom just agreed to license games, Koch did the chasing on the AVP license themselves too. Interesting interview here on the subject:

Yeah, and that's perhaps why the lineup is so interesting. They were willing to go back and pull out games that maybe Capcom itself wouldn't touch these days.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, and that's perhaps why the lineup is so interesting. They were willing to go back and pull out games that maybe Capcom itself wouldn't touch these days.

It's a shame this thing is kind of a pain to get in the US without paying a premium because the game lineup is super interesting. I find it especially weird that it's not getting a Japanese release. Probably the combo of its design, cost and the AVP license killed any chance of this thing getting a wider release.

Oct 27, 2017

fans would probably drop $50-80+ on a progear port (also locked into this thing) like they do for games like esp ra.de. and sorcer striker

the most disappointing part for me is that these are just roms and not actual ports, and they're the US roms which for progear is the lesser desired version

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've no interest in this in its current form factor, or at least at its current price, but I really hope these games are put out separate from the hardware. After watching the video I'd really like to check out Armored Warriors and Capcom Sports Club.

Great video, Dark1x , thank you.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It's kind of good to see that the actual quality isn't terrible. Some small things that will drive some of us OCDers nuts but at the same time not. The stick is still gaudy as heck, though, and makes me wish they'd have put this out as a mini-CPS2 instead. I'd have been down for that.

Nov 23, 2017
fans would probably drop $50-80+ on a progear port (also locked into this thing) like they do for games like esp ra.de. and sorcer striker

the most disappointing part for me is that these are just roms and not actual ports, and they're the US roms which for progear is the lesser desired version
What does this mean though? Why would they make ports of 16 games from 25 years ago for Linux? This is just a licensed open source emulator running on top of it on a SoC like the SNES Mini.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
How comfortable is this for playing on a couch?

On your lap? I don't expect it to very comfy -- unless you have two people to prop it up, the other side will be teetering. (And even with two players, I imagine the constant movement between the two of you would get irksome.)

I got to try out the system today, and I gotta say it's a pretty well made piece of tech. Solid build, excellent stability on a table, and good spacing between the two players. I just wish I could get used to Sanwa parts; they were much too sensitive for me on the Tournament Fightsticks, and the same applies here.

Oct 27, 2017
What does this mean though? Why would they make ports of 16 games from 25 years ago for Linux? This is just a licensed open source emulator running on top of it on a SoC like the SNES Mini.
because there are diehard fans that would pay for ports of the games that haven't received ports before (e.g. evident with the atlus x cave upcoming release of esp ra.de. from 1998 and fans paying $65-100 for a physical version of the game). I get that this is more aimed at the crowd who buys mini-consoles, but the bigger slap in the face is that it's the US rom of progear. Its easier difficulty and rank makes it the less desirable version to play when compared to the Japanese version. I mean it's apparent that it's just a cash grab but some of the choices regarding these never-ported titles are still baffling.

it reminds me of when capcom had a japanese poll for "most popular game" back in 2013 for their 30th anniversary(?), and people were excited at the prospect that some of their their titles might receive their first home port. progear won the poll and the result was them releasing the progear soundtrack on cd.

I'm doomed to have to stick to my cps2 board forever.

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Great and very detailed video as always.

Dark1x, I noticed you quite enjoyed Armored Warriors.
Don't know if you know this but that game is included on the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle, that came out last year on all consoles and Steam.
And unlike the Capcom Home Arcade version, it supports 3-players simultaneously.

header.jpg

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Great and very detailed video as always.

Dark1x, I noticed you quite enjoyed Armored Warriors.
Don't know if you know this but that game is included on the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle, that came out last year on all consoles and Steam.
And unlike the Capcom Home Arcade version, it supports 3-players simultaneously.

header.jpg

They mention it in the video lol

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
because there are diehard fans that would pay for ports of the games that haven't received ports before (e.g. evident with the atlus x cave upcoming release of esp ra.de. from 1998 and fans paying $65-100 for a physical version of the game).

Those are still emulation-based--sure, they go beyond "just ROMs" but they're not ports.

If you're using "ports" as shorthand for "released on consoles/PC" then sure, but the makers of products like this stick, Arcade1UP, etc are often only able to get the licenses for these games with the condition that they can only be released on these devices and not on consoles, mobile, PC, etc.

Look on the bright side, if Capcom ever does a shmup collection they'll have no choice but to put some of their more hardcore games on there, Capcom didn't really make a lot of their own shmups, especially post-SF2.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
As John is not familiar with the title I want to remind you that the tennis portion of Capcom Sports Club got expanded and ported to the Dreamcast under the title Net de Tennis. It was exclusive to the Japanese Capcom Store iirc.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just ordered one of these from amazon Germany for $207 us after shipping. I dunno this thing seems so fucking cool to me.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Will Amazon UK ship one of these to the US? Can't think of any other way to import from US, unless US release date is just slated for a bit later.

Definitely tempted. AvP is a huge one from my childhood and I'd love to just hook it up and play every once in a while, and I really wanna try Capcom Sports Club and the two mech-based games (the beat em up and the fighting game).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the WIFI issue is if you have a space in the wifi ssid name lol.

Good that they're pretty responsive on updating it. If they start offering extra games to purchase I'll probably end up buying one.

zappa

Dec 25, 2017
The Neo Geo seems to have been hacked already, do you guys think it's just a matter of time until the same happens to the Capcom?

The fact that it's limited to Europe, for now, might delay it significantly in comparison to the Neo Geo, I assume.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Just been reading the new issue of Retro Gamer, and apparently Strider is an early version, missing level soundtracks. RG mentioned the Capcom Classics Collection had the same issue, so I guess capcom lost the rom or something? Weird they don't redump from an arcade board, but I guess they don't care enough to.