• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017

Link

DF Retro returns! It's just over ten years on from the release of Killzone 2 on the PlayStation 3. Join John Linneman for a look at the game's controversial beginnings, to its final, technologically astonishing result.

Amazing work by Dark1x as usual.

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
YES! I will watch this until my eyes explode!

Seriously though, I always wanted an analysis of this game.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's unfortunate that the game played like total fucking ass but it did look good.
I didn't think it did. I wasn't hugely fond of the control scheme and there was input lag but it still felt good to play and the MP really did feel ahead of anything else available on consoles at the time. Such a shame we never had in game party chat back then

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
The multiplayer in this game was surprisingly good, better than the singleplayer portion.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
ahh, the memories.
20NAs7O.gif

Multiplayer was tons of fun, you could even set up entire tournaments on the official website against other clans. Good times.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I think this is my favourite DF Retro episode so far after the Shenmue ones and Metal Gear Solid 2.
For me this game was something special as I hadn't seen nothing like it on a technical level consistent with great tech and art combined.
As well as getting to actually play a multiplayer mode with friends in a team based way and for years at that. I don't really care for multiplayer so that says a lot for me.
Great game Guerrilla, hope this gets a remaster in 4K 60fps and HDR one day.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Played the shit out of KZ2.
The MP was really really good for its time, played it alot, like enough to get that 1% MP trophy...

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why Sony didn't remaster this game. I'm sure some of the magic would be lost with some of the tricks "revealed," but KZ2 and KZ3 were really genuinely gorgeous games and I enjoyed them both. 2 more than 3.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
awesome video. this was the first game for me that separated ps3 from 360. 360 never produced anything that looked as good as this to my eyes. the animation in particular is so good it still beats the vast majority of games today

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
KZ2 is the best fps I played in the last generation. The campaign is quite good, excelent multiplayer and it controls great. They did a great job with the atmosphere, in terms of the war and the sense of despair as you would go deeper into Helghan territory.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Great work as always Dark1x - it's pretty amazing how well this game from a decade ago holds up, visually speaking. That comparison vs. the original trailer had to be done :-) . It's always fascinating to me to see how devs used the SPUs to bolster the PS3's lackluster GPU.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The most amazing smoke and mirrors game at that time. Led the groundwork for many Sony games that really pushed graphics that just seemed impossible on other systems, even PC.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't really understand why Sony didn't remaster this game. I'm sure some of the magic would be lost with some of the tricks "revealed," but KZ2 and KZ3 were really genuinely gorgeous games and I enjoyed them both. 2 more than 3.
I think Horizon probably made more money/fame than this series ever did. KZ is probably dead sadly

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome work John!

I am sad we might not get remasters of Killzone 2 and 3, and Resistance 1 and 3. Those games deserve to be remastered with 60 fps and upgraded resolution.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This one I've been looking forward to from quite some point. Killzone 2 was the first game which made me really look into graphics technology so as to read and understand what it was doing. I've had so many conversations about it and read so much about it that I can probably dissect the game from top to bottom as much as possible from an outsider's perspective heh !!

Thanks for this John.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I liked the laggy controls, made your character have weight to it & not feel like a COD clone, fight me.
Also shame no PS4 remaster.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Why did folk get upset?
It was because of the colours making textures look washed out and the shadows.
The game originally had a lot more muted colour palette than what we eventually got, originally it was all grey but the final game was actually quite colourful and had different colour palettes for different levels. I distinctively remember blue, red, yellow, green among the few dominating colour palettes in this game depending on the level. The final game also had considerably better shadow quality from muzzle flash shadows.

There's a gif that people posted a lot from the 2nd level of the game where there's a storm going around and you are in a helghan city, that gif is from pre release version and has that grey undertone. The final game turned out to have a green colour palette for that level.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Positive + disbelief.

It looked too good. :D [for that time, it really did]
No I distinctively remember that particular screenshot was unflattering and made people think it was not gonna look very good.
The disbelief and positive outlook followed immediately later with the following media release. And rightfully so because it looked so much better later on.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
No I distinctively remember that particular screenshot was unflattering and made people think it was not gonna look very good.
The disbelief and positive outlook followed immediately later with the following media release.

Those additional pics came if I remember the same day. :) It was fun seeing all that online chatter.

In case you were wondering Dark1x , yes, we would all very much like episodes from games of that generation that are sadly locked to those machines even to this day. MGS4 would be a fantastic candidate, given how rocky its development was and how it impacted the design of the final product.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Can't wait to watch this! I guess we all have lived long enough to see KZ2 become a retro game.

I think I should buy a PS3 soon to play all these games I skipped because I couldn't afford them at the time.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
That was a great DF Retro episode. Gggmanlives also did a nice video on KZ2 recently.

The game holds up so well, though I wish there was a ps4 port that would fix the input lag.

Oct 25, 2017
I would take a PS4 remaster in a fucking heartbeat.

KZ2 and 3 were damn awesome. Loved the SP. I especially loved 3's SP honestly. IMO.

I wonder if they could work on the input. The game did feel kinda sluggish.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Such a disappointing game but I'm looking forward to watching this. The technical visuals are the only thing I think are good about it so I'm happy to hear John talk about them.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Killzone 2 really looks like a movie. Just an outstanding atmosphere and feel. Killzone 2, Gears of War 1&2, Uncharted 2, and God of War 3 literally made my jaw drop. Killzone 2 has stood the test of time the best as far as visuals go tho.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
This game was mind blowing. I didn't see John mention how the some smoke effects interact with scene geometry. There's a really windy multiplayer map you can test this on when dropping spawn grenades. The smoke will hit geometry and move around it, an insane detail.