• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

DF Retro is back with a deep dive into one of the most technically impressive console games of its period - Turok Dinosaur Hunter's reputation may have diminished in the last 20 years, but in some respects it challenged and even exceeded the mighty Quake. John takes us back in time, along with a special mystery guest star...

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry and DF Retro: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, very excited to watch this. DF Retro is always *chefkiss* but Turok strikes a special chord with me.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Yas king. Hope you tackle 2 as well since that game stretched the N64 so far and also sucked.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see this considering John rarely ever mentions Turok in other videos. You can tell he really doesn't care for it at all.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
SM64 was the first game I played at a Toys R Us when the N64 launched but Turok was the game that sold me on one. I spent hours on these maps looking for those keys and Chronosceptor pieces.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised to see this considering John rarely ever mentions Turok in other videos. You can tell he really doesn't care for it at all.
I assume this is a joke? Turok pretty much in my top 3 N64 games of all time and one of my favorite shooters from that era.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I've wondered so many times when was this video coming. I think he references Turok in every FPS he's made a video about.
I assume this is a joke? Turok pretty much in my top 3 N64 games of all time and one of my favorite shooters from that era.
I can only assume it is :-P

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've wondered so many times when was this video coming. I think he references Turok in every FPS he's made a video about.

I can only assume it is :-P
Alex references Turok a lot as well. It is over Turok that we bonded some years ago, in fact.

That's why he had to be in this video.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Even though I never liked the Turok games (or most of the N64 catalogue to be honest) I'm watching this right now.

John, have you ever considered making a video someone suggested you, or making a vote on a few games you're interested in analyzing?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Even though I never liked the Turok games (or most of the N64 catalogue to be honest) I'm watching this right now.

John, have you ever considered making a video someone suggested you, or making a vote on a few games you're interested in analyzing?
Yeah, thought about it. I did offer a vote on which Deus Ex game to cover a couple years back.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Well, if you ever consider doing something like that again please let us know about it here or by the end of one of your videos. I follow you on twitter but I really don't use it much and I would surely miss it.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I think the original Turok is still my favorite one in the series. Turok 2 and Turok 3 are good as well. But the original Turok on the N64 played great on the N64. It is a bit of a Metroid lite, and as pointed out in the video, some of the team members from Turok went on to make Metroid Prime at Retro Studios.

Yeah, the N64 original game uses a lot of repeating pre-fabricated models. The fog was always a bit annoying, but it was a trade-off for the close-to 30FPS gameplay. Turok plays better than Goldeneye in this respect. Goldeneye sacrificed framerate for larger draw distances, which caused the framerates to tank constantly.

Turok was released months before Goldeneye in 1997. Both these games really helped the N64 gain a reputation of being a home console for first person shooters. The N64 gamepad is well suited for FPS style games.

I never played the original PC version, or the newest Night Drive ports.

Last edited:

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
John praised and hyped this game so much that by the end of the video I decided to buy it on switch :) I started FPS's with Wolfenstein & later both Doom's. The main fps I really played and the 1st I played with friends was Quake 1. It seems this game excels in some areas over it and I really want to try it on switch now :)

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Surprisingly, I never played the original. Went straight for the sequel. Probably because at the time I was basing my purchases solely on Nintendo Power reviews and the sequel reviewed better. Also why I never touched the sequels because the reviews for those tanked.

But I'm under the impression that the first two are the only good ones and despite the fact that it does not age well at all, I thought it was a pretty interesting "dark fantasy sci-fi" shooter and an unusually grim title for the N64.

The amusement of Turok shouting "I am Turok!" as he collects a power up in a stealth maneuver (yet is still somehow unnoticed), and the janky multiplayer where playing a raptor made you a barely visible killing machine were some of the gaming highlights in my late N64 years.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
A buddy of mine at work used to have this mini TV with a built in player of some sort. I forget if it was 8mm or VHS-C, but I remember him recording himself playing Turok, and bringing it in to work to show me.

I remember being completely blown away by the punchy sound. The soldier who gets shot and covers his neck as blood spurts out. The most realistic waterfalls I'd ever seen, and those raptors screeching as they fell to your gunfire.

Man, it was unlike anything I'd ever seen, and well beyond any first person game I'd experienced on PlayStation/Saturn.

I really wish we could get a remaster of the last Turok game that releases under Disney. It may have only been so-so, but I still want it.

Zig6

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago IL
Another absolutely fantastic episode! Always a highlight of my Sunday mornings when there is a new episode.

I played a ton of Turok as a kid but never beat it without cheats till I got the nightdive version on PC. I absolutely loved my time with the game but I did find some of the later sections of the last level to be a bit unfair in the difficulty department.

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Gamefan's numerous previews are what got me hyped for Turok. While I didn't like the final game as much as I had hoped I could still appreciate the aspects of it that were brilliantly done.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
One of the few beloved games of this era that I legitimately hated, the sequel too, they just felt so chunky to me even in an era of dealing with chunky games.

But as with the killzone vid I can't wait to dive into this because johns care for things is infectious.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Blew my mind back in the day.

I can remember when I got my very expensive copy. I was like mana from heaven when N64 releases were so rare, and I sunk SO many hours into exploring every nook and cranny.

Those fond memories are partly why I haven't tried to go back to any of the re-releases of it. I think about it, but then I don't.

I love this video though. Great work as always!

Jun 2, 2019
Was waiting for this video since i saw it announced on Twitter. Not dissapointed.

Turok was one of the first 3 games i played on N64 and left an everlasting impression on me that 2 (Too annoying and laberinthic) and 3 (Too generic) didn't manage too.

I'll end up buying the Switch version sooner or later.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
As a kid I played Turok on N64 when it came out, but I never managed to figure it gameplay systems.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Despite being team n64 back in the 90s, this game never piqued my interest. It always looked quite primitive in screenshots with all the fog and repeating wall textures.

I did end up getting the sequel though and I have fond memories of it (especially the multiplayer) but the levels were just TOO BIG. I had a FAQ printed out but I still couldn't stomach how long those levels were.

I picked up the Switch port on release because I was really curious to see what I had missed out on and lo and behold... it's a really solid game! I even played through the while thing twice in a row; the second time with all guns and infinite ammunition.

It can get a bit repetitive and I am perplexed at how the treetop level is so far in the game despite being a really easy level to clear.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quality video, as expected from DF Retro. Turok was impressive for its time for its weapons, animations, and exploration despite the shitty draw distance and fog.

Turok 2 was overhyped, though. I regretted paying day one price for it. Its mechanics were well done but the frame rate dropped to near unplayable levels even with the RAM expansion.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Great video, very informative about the techniques from that era.

Which was the first PC FPS with interpolated animations? Quake 2 I presume?

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best DF Retro Episodes so far. Loved the structure, the in-depth analysis of how the tech was used to create the levels (the loading zones must've been a nightmare to place optimally)
The interjection with the Crysis shrine was just hilarious. Well done.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Great video. I remember buying this when the N64 first launched in europe. It was £70 and because it required an expansion pack to save that pushed the price to about £100. Still, despite the eye-watering price, I bloody loved the game.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Did he cover turok 3? Only turok game i never managed to play and public opinion seems divided on it. Also appears to be stuck on n64??

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
fantastic episode. only thing missing was a short segment on the censored version, since i found the robot-enemies much cooler than the standard ones,

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, it was a joke. 😜

I bought the remaster a while back, and liked the game, but didn't care for the fact that you get a limited number of lives. Mostly because actual save points were pretty sparse, and you can lose a lot of progress if you run out. I wish you could quick save.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I await the day we can have another Crysis.

this was also a good episode. I'm a sucker for showing off level design. wish we could get more wireframe footage in these

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember Nintendo Power talking about how you could pause the game and count the individual number of teeth in the T-Rex's mouth.

yxyiHd6.jpg

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I remember sitting on the bus to work, reading a freshly bought gaming magazine which had a preview of Turok in it, the jungle setting and dinosaur/robot enemies, that was something I've never seen before (of course it helped that it was 3d which was the hot new stuff for consoles at the time). When I had the game myself I recorded the T-Rex fight and a few other scenes from the game on VHS to give to a co-worker who didn't know anything about "modern videogames", dude was all hype after that lol couldn't believe how videogames were looking "like a movie" he said.