• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

• High resolution brings out the details that were hidden by the 900p on X1.
  • Very noticeable LOD pop in.
  • Graphics settings lack of customization and support for different hardware and monitors.
  • Motion Blur is awesome.
  • You can unlock the framerate.
  • Anti aliasing options don't make a noticeable difference.
  • Reshade is recommended for FXAA + SMAA
  • The game doesn't support exclusive full screen. Borderless and Windowed only.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The port does have its quirks. The framepacing is odd. I had to disable GSYNC and lock the framerate to 72 FPS on my 144hz monitor with rivatuner to get the game to run smoothly.

Oct 27, 2017
Please put a summary or opinion of the video and/or game performance in the OP, to help drive the conversation of this thread. Thank you.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
They lost me at R&C having good motion blur. It was disgusting. Had to stop playing because of it.

I do wonder if they're going to update this game to fix some of the issues. I feel like their $20 price point was kind of a way of just dropping it and letting it do its thing.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

- LoD issues still evident on PC, PC version has basically identical LoD settings as XBO. Chunks of world pop up visibly.
- Settings menu is a little bare bones. 21 : 9 is not supported natively. Game also only runs in Borderless window mode, no exclusive full screen avaialble.
- DON'T TURN MOTION BLUR OFF OR JOHN WILL FIND YOU AND GET YOU !.
- Turning off SSAO and especially Fog eliminates a lot of the environmental effects and doesn't look correct.
- Unlock FPS option available with a good 120hz experience possible, even the 30 FPS mode offers even frame pacing, so no judders.
- Gamepad is preferred way to play (obviously). Multitude of problems using KB + Mouse
- Disable DPI scaling otherwise the game will lose resolution on 4K.
- The AA options in the game are almost ineffective, recommended to use reshade (SMAA + FXAA)
- 4K/60 on DF's high-end rig caused small performance dips and reshade can cause a little big of extra performance loss.
- Final verdict "It's good in the sense that your PC can power through it .... but I wouldn't say it's an amazing port".

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They lost me at R&C having good motion blur. It was disgusting. Had to stop playing because of it.

I do wonder if they're going to update this game to fix some of the issues. I feel like their $20 price point was kind of a way of just dropping it and letting it do its thing.
You sir, don't know what you're talking about.

You can dislike good motion blur, of course. ;)

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

Ratchet has amazing motion blur.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
i think its a really close to good port, espcially from a fairly random dev (never heard of them) i honestly thought it was gonna be trash with the stealth release.
playing at 1440p 60 frames feels so damn good. hopefully they can patch up some stuff, like ultrawide, fullscreen, a decent AA solution, m&k. windowed mode does not work correctly either. the lod stuff is unfortunate, but like john said maybe its not possible.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
On the plus side, my CPU is slightly under the minimum requirements but the game starts anyway and runs fine with a GTX970.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x There are some mentions of FOV, LOD, Draw Distance and few other things in settings file but it is encrypted or in special format that nobody managed to read properly yet. So there is still some hope that somebody will managed to make it editable and that changing values there will do something :D

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I'm sorry John and Alex, I don't think I'm ever leaving motion blur toggles on in this lifetime D: Certainly not for camera movement, there's the slightest chance I could still be swayed on per object :p

Great coverage as usual in any case! For all the port's faults it undoubtedly benefits from the usual perks on PC, hopefully it gets the X patch for console too.

Is a shame that DPI scaling continues to be an issue on modern releases. At least it's easily turned off, still hopefully devs in future will account for it given that folks do play PC on their TVs with 200% scaling. I often have to turn it off for 2D titles for them to get sharper scaling on 4k display, only really being sure the game's at a lower res due to the MSI overlay's size

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I can't get this game to run normally. It keeps going down to 30 FPS from 60 randomly. It'll go slowmo too so no framedrops.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I was all for a PC port because I thought that would mean an X enhancement patch too. What a letdown this was!

LaTasse

Nov 7, 2017
Not having a good m/k support is a shame for a third person shooter, especially a fast paced one like this one. The controller really felt limiting my actions most of time (the fact that the game uses auto-aiming tells a lot too).

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a third party port of a 4-year old single-platform console game, and as such I think it's pretty good. A nice resolution bump, a huge framerate bump and no major issues is a pretty happy outcome in my book, if not a shining example of doing everything right. I really loved finally playing through this, and it seems like the best way to do it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Why is DPI scaling still a problem with modern games?

I mean, it just blows my mind that they include 4k support but not DPI scaling support. Like, if they are doing 4k support then surely they tested playing the game at 4k. And what kind of monitors do they have in where they don't use DPI scaling at 4k? It feels like 60% of releases have problems with DPI scaling enabled and it just boggles my mind. I use 125% scaling since I have a 1440p 25" monitor and a lot of the time when I launch a new game it does some stupid shit like rendering a window bigger than the screen itself or showing weird resolutions in the menu and I have to enable the thing in the exe and ughhhh just why
Not having a good m/k support is a shame for a third person shooter, especially a fast paced one like this one. The controller really felt limiting my actions most of time (the fact that the game uses auto-aiming tells a lot too).
The mouse support is fixed in the latest public beta build of the game on Steam.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I've been waiting for this one.

You sir, don't know what you're talking about.

You can dislike good motion blur, of course. ;)

Yeah Mossy is wrong here. R&C has great motion blur.

As an aside, some games shouldn't use motion blur though. Please tell me you don't have motion blur on in fighting games.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I've been waiting for this one.

Yeah Mossy is wrong here. R&C has great motion blur.

As an aside, some games shouldn't use motion blur though. Please tell me you don't have motion blur on in fighting games.
screenshot17fkrjd.png

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
At $20, I don't mind the imperfections. I'm having a blast with it. It's more fun than the Xbox version IMO.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I had played this on Xbox One so wanted to play again and I realised how much I dislike punk rock.

But I still have it a shot as I wanted to play it at higher resolution and frame rate with mouse and KB. So I ultimately refundedthe game because of the mouse issue.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Does the game support custom resolutions? This wasn't answered in the video, and hearing John going all the way from 4K to 1440p has me worried.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That LOD is pop in is pretty drastic.

I guess over to the modders to raise the bar if the game doesn't get a patch.

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x You mentioned it it being borderless only could be an issue for g-sync users but doesn't g-sync support both full screen and borderless?