• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018

Timestamped video

I've always thought that it would be the GPU that would be the limiting factor when it comes to games that really push next-gen systems
didn't realize the actual constraint is the memory
can anyone elaborate on why?

although I do remember a doom dev saying something similar before the console launched, but others here refuted that so IDK
will be interesting to see how devs tackle this issue going forward

edit: https://wccftech.com/id-software-devs-concerns-xbox-series-s-specs/
found the old one

unknown.png

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
GPUs and graphics settings are incredibly scalable but memory isn't nearly as "elastic". If you hit a wall, you hit a wall. Going to be very interesting to see how the Series S fairs in the longterm.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
This is going to be a fun thread like every other Series S tech thread

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Uh oh....here we go....lol.

All I will say is a few years ago alot of us got into many a debate about the memory, among other things.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested to see how it holds up over the years. Is this only about RT though?

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
I picked up my Series S mostly to play 360 games but I'm still hoping it will handle Starfield without extreme compromises. Fingers crossed.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Aren't they talking about games with RT? In that case it doesn't surprise me that much tbh.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I think this was always going to be a problem with the S. As everyone keeps pushing their games and building around the higher end X and PS5 systems, they will constantly be having to hold back and do more work for the S series games

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Not surprised to hear this. Always felt like Microsoft promoted SFS as the solution to memory constraints (wasn't it positioned as 2-3X multiplier in their demo scene?) Are there (m)any games actually using SFS?

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. GPU can always be flexible as we see with the Switch but memory is a hard limit. The Series S is honestly 2 GBs short, so devs are going to have to really manage memory.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I figured this would be an issue at some point, but surprised to hear it's already a pain for some people.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
No shit. The pre-launch thought that all devs would have to do is lower the resolution and do nothing else was always a laughably stupid idea.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This always felt like it would be the case as multiple developers even said they were concerned about the memory when the specced were revealed.

Guess we'll see how things turn out in the end, but concerning to see it already be an issue so early in the generation.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised to hear this. Always felt like Microsoft promoted SFS as the solution to memory constraints (wasn't it positioned as 2-3X multiplier in their demo scene?) Are there (m)any games actually using SFS?
Not yet. It's something that won't really be utilized until a ways into pure new gen development.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Least powerful console is hardest to optimize for shocker.

Devs will find the compromises needed to get the games running on it. You'll probably see even bigger cuts to resolution and framerate eventually, but the vast majority of the S audience won't notice or care.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i doubt the ps5 and xsx will hold up this entire gen, so i never thought the s would even come close. glad i stuck it out and held out for an x though

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Not entirely surprised by this, it's not going to be a walk in the park to scale back a game for the Series S, however I also think the target demographic of the Series S doesn't care about the compromises made.

I imagine anybody who cares about all the highest quality stuff is on the Series X.

I mentioned in a thread about how games might skip the S due to hardware issues and got attacked.
If you want to release on Xbox, you cannot skip the S.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Not sure if SFS has any impact on RT, as that seemed to be one of the primary concerns with memory bandwidth.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Known quantity but same devs need to remember they got mouths to feed and bigger audiences lead to more money.

This shouldn't be a debate in 2022 not after switch.

i doubt the ps5 and xsx will hold up this entire gen, so i never thought the s would even come close. glad i stuck it out and held out for an x though

Ryzens of their class don't have horrible minimums like older cpus before them do. Until devs start beating last gens best it's not the gpu to blame either. Plenty of engines should be chucked or heavily modified to take advantage of features or be more efficient. We have FSR 2.0 and VRS as well.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Well duh. Anyone with a brain that can put 2 and 2 together has known this for a long time. Anything trying to explain it away is and always was hopiumcopium. It's not deep. It just is what it is.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
If Series S can stream games, do the hardware limitations matter? Asking because Xbox seems so gungho about streaming Gamepass everywhere.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's going to be a real awkward situation for the Series S, where some games run wonderfully even compared to the cross gen stuff we have now (games optimized for next gen GPUs), but anything that needs more memory bandwidth is going to have to make some awkward Switch-esque compromises.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
They may not be able to "skip" it, but I bet Series S gets Switch style "streaming only" versions of games at some point

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I think there's going to be a real awkward situation for the Series S, where some games run wonderfully even compared to the cross gen stuff we have now (games optimized for next gen GPUs), but anything that needs more memory bandwidth is going to have to make some awkward Switch-esque compromises.

More like steam deck

DF has shown that switch is quite a ways in distance from RDNA2 that can actually do some tasks. It's not perfect as some UE5 demos need lord's work.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think Microsoft is more likely to release a next gen Xbox lineup before allowing streaming only games on Series S.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I imagine as we drop cross-gen, we'll see a lot more "Yeah it's on the S but not necessarily how you should play it). Much like the OG XB1 was/is starting to show. It's almost always the worst place to play anything Performance/Tech wise.

With that said, the market of the S is the market that can "deal" with that. I know people still rocking a launch XB1 because as long as their system can play the game they want in some form, they're happy.

If Series S can stream games, do the hardware limitations matter? Asking because Xbox seems so gungho about streaming Gamepass everywhere.

I'll say yes just because streaming can't be the be all - end all due to how networking is worldwide. Someone buying a Series S might not necessarily have a good connection that can stream (but is just fine downloading games or playing online).

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I do think MS should have bit the bullet and raised the Memory in the S, but I think once things like VRS and SFS start taking off, less memory will be required for 1080p

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i mean if that's the worst of it then things are pretty good anyway, a bit of a pain sometimes is the definition of not a big problem

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Known quantity but same devs need to remember they got mouths to feed and bigger audiences lead to more money.

This shouldn't be a debate in 2022 not after switch.

Ryzens of their class don't have horrible minimums like older cpus before them do. Until devs start beating last gens best it's not the gpu to blame either. Plenty of engines should be chucked or heavily modified to take advantage of features or be more efficient. We have FSR 2.0 and VRS as well.
I think some ppl really are sleeping on Ryzen.... and also the work that was done to the gpu's in these consoles.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Pikachu. I imagine any problems that exist now will only be exacerbated as the gen goes on.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely going to slow the rising min spec more than we have seen in previous gen transitions. Not ideal but I guess Microsoft has MAUs to feed lol