• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exagenous

Jan 3, 2018
Hey everybody T1 since 6th grade, that was like 97? something like that. Finger pokes and vials the entire time. Anyways for the first time I'm coming around to having a cgm or a pump or both? Up until now it was a hard no. Not a chance are you hooking stuff up to me that I then have to think about coming loose or getting caught on something.

But I was hoping to get some more thoughts from people who have one. Is there one that you really like vs one that you don't like? I like the idea of the dexcom G6 because you don't have to calibrate a whole bunch. My doc gave me info on the medtronic 670g but you have to calibrate like 4 times a day? I don't know, I'm still on the fence.

OP
OP
JetBlackPanda

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Hey everybody T1 since 6th grade, that was like 97? something like that. Finger pokes and vials the entire time. Anyways for the first time I'm coming around to having a cgm or a pump or both? Up until now it was a hard no. Not a chance are you hooking stuff up to me that I then have to think about coming loose or getting caught on something.

But I was hoping to get some more thoughts from people who have one. Is there one that you really like vs one that you don't like? I like the idea of the dexcom G6 because you don't have to calibrate a whole bunch. My doc gave me info on the medtronic 670g but you have to calibrate like 4 times a day? I don't know, I'm still on the fence.

I've only been T1 for 3 years but used pens and finger sticks for the entire time. Recently got a Freestyle Libre and it's changed my life! I'm not sure I want to deal with a pump. Having a pen on me at all times seems easier then dealing with infusion sites and tubes etc.

CGM+Pens is the way to go for me.

Eilema

Jan 5, 2018

I'm similar, since around '95 I was finger pricking and injecting from vials or pen. But earlier this year I started on the Freestyle libre sensors, and wow are they awesome. They ability to not only see my reading at that moment, but the entire day to see how I'm trending has really changed how I approach the daily management. Also, it's so quick and easy, a tap of the device (or my phone) to my arm instead of the process of getting out a test strip, pricking the finger etc. is awesome.
There are cons though for me. As small as the sensors are, they're big enough to actually catch on doorways etc (not sure the size of the G6..), and they're not easy to hide if you wanted to keep the sensor discreet. I also have to change mine every two weeks which while necessary can be a hassle, the glue is hard to get off and sometimes I have a small bruise.
But I could never go back, have that amount of info at all times is just incredible. On the pump side I'm the same as you and JetBlackPanda, I don't like the idea of being hooked up like that, and pens are easy

Eilema

Jan 5, 2018
For the freestyle libre there are no calibrations, punch it in and go for two weeks. The first few days of using it I did comparative testing with fingerprick and it was pretty accurate.

Exagenous

Jan 3, 2018
Any trouble with getting insurance to cover a part of it? My insurance says I need they use a 3rd party because it's considered durable medical equipment. Which just sounds like an added layer of trouble.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Any of you guys lifters as well? I'm trying to figure out how to do this whole T1 + lifting thing right. Diet-wise I'm really not sure whether to go for a classic protein + carbs diet and try to dose insulin enough to cover it all or go for a keto type approach. Their really don't seem to be that many resources on this either. Would love some anecdotes, if this thread can gain any traction.

NubCakes09

Oct 28, 2017
Any of you guys lifters as well? I'm trying to figure out how to do this whole T1 + lifting thing right. Diet-wise I'm really not sure whether to go for a classic protein + carbs diet and try to dose insulin enough to cover it all or go for a keto type approach. Their really don't seem to be that many resources on this either. Would love some anecdotes, if this thread can gain any traction.

From what I have seen with what happens to my wife after she works out (she has T1, I do not but am a pretty avid lifter) I would say to go for a classic carb and protein diet. My wife mostly sticks to cardio and she is almost always low after her workouts and I would think that lifting may impact your blood sugar more. The fear with keto is that you would not get enough carbs. Also, you may already know this, but always bring with you some kind of quick carb like a sports drink or pop in case you go low.

OP
OP
JetBlackPanda

JetBlackPanda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base

I have dabbled with lifting while T1 and from all my trial and error I think Protein + Carbs is the way to go. Just make sure and dose for it and keep the carbs clean. Honestly my blood sugars were always really great when I would do this.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I have dabbled with lifting while T1 and from all my trial and error I think Protein + Carbs is the way to go. Just make sure and dose for it and keep the carbs clean. Honestly my blood sugars were always really great when I would do this.
I'll give it a whirl then. Still need to figure out what carbs are "cleaner" than others.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for how to move your injection sites around when using pens? I am getting a Dexcom and don't really want to try to keep two things attached to myself all the time.

OP
OP
JetBlackPanda

JetBlackPanda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I'll give it a whirl then. Still need to figure out what carbs are "cleaner" than others.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for how to move your injection sites around when using pens? I am getting a Dexcom and don't really want to try to keep two things attached to myself all the time.

I use pens. Try and keep the injections sites an inch apart. I use a method pretty similar to this and I throw in each arm sometimes too.

IMD_insulin_injection_site_rotation_EN.png

Exagenous

Jan 3, 2018
You will probably have to do a little trial and error to get your adjustments locked in to what you need. But it is important to know that you don't burn the sugar when you exercise. You utilize the insulin better when you exercise. So your numbers might be good before, during, and a little after your workout but you could still go low a couple hours after.

My own personal method is to eat and take about half of my normal bolus insulin when I do a workout. But that is just what works for me and my average workout.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Got my a1c done yesterday and the results today.

November 2017: 8.2
April 2018: 5.7
August 2018: 5.6

I am technically in the normal range. Didn't think it would happen.

Now to see if we can reduce my Metformin.

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
Adjusting better than I thought I would be. My diet wasn't great before so this has certainly made me change it.

Family can get a bit annoying. They offer me food with a lot of bread and potatoes and then complain when I drink Pepsi Max.
You'll quickly learn that very few people understand Diabetes in general, let alone what it means to be Type 1

Eilema

Jan 5, 2018
Yeah when mention I have diabetes I often get a puzzled look followed by "but you're not fat?". This normally happens at the canteen at work when I opt out of any rice, pasta, potatoes etc. Educating the people around you is important, but it can take time

OP
OP
JetBlackPanda

JetBlackPanda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Yeah when mention I have diabetes I often get a puzzled look followed by "but you're not fat?". This normally happens at the canteen at work when I opt out of any rice, pasta, potatoes etc. Educating the people around you is important, but it can take time

its the worst.. The other thing that gets me tilted is people that comment "diet soda?? that will give you cancer, just drink the real stuff its healthier for you"

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Yeah my Libre changed my life! So amazing.

I wasn't completely sold on this because when I had a CGM for 3 days on my stomach it kinda drove me insane, but I don't even notice the sensor anymore after a few hours. It was a little sore after I applied it but now its just kinda like nothing is there. Gonna be interesting to see how it holds up for the next two weeks.

OP
OP
JetBlackPanda

JetBlackPanda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I wasn't completely sold on this because when I had a CGM for 3 days on my stomach it kinda drove me insane, but I don't even notice the sensor anymore after a few hours. It was a little sore after I applied it but now its just kinda like nothing is there. Gonna be interesting to see how it holds up for the next two weeks.

It's different for everyone but my sensors after 10 days are still welded to my skin. I have to pry it off!

I make sure to always use the wipe it comes with before I apply and then put a little pressure around the adhesive ring just after application.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
It's different for everyone but my sensors after 10 days are still welded to my skin. I have to pry it off!

I make sure to always use the wipe it comes with before I apply and then put a little pressure around the adhesive ring just after application.

Ya you definitely want to clean the application site with an alcohol wipe before hand. I'm really happy it comes with some. Day 2 of the sensor is going pretty well so far. Going to be interesting to see how it holds up when I exercise with it on.

OP
OP
JetBlackPanda

JetBlackPanda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Ya you definitely want to clean the application site with an alcohol wipe before hand. I'm really happy it comes with some. Day 2 of the sensor is going pretty well so far. Going to be interesting to see how it holds up when I exercise with it on.

Yeah keep us updated. I disc golf ALOT and it help up all summer in the heat and in the pool.

Incredible really.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Wait is this possible >_> I'd love to be able to scan with my phone.

Also, I just lifted weights last night with the sensor on the first time and it held up just fine. This thing is great so far.

Yep. There's an app called LibreLink that uses NFC to scan. Allegedly it should be able to automatically upload to an online service that your clinic can access, but I haven't got that bit to work properly. Word of warning, in the 60 minutes from activating a sensor using the device you need to also scan with the phone, otherwise you won't be able to access it with your phone. My guess is for privacy reasons, so someone else can't scan your sensor.

crowed

Oct 27, 2017
Aviles, asturias, Spain
Just wanted to say hi to everybody here, i work as a nurse, and right now i work in a vascular surgery ward, and i just wanted to say to everybody in this community that diabetes is a hard thing to deal with but you need to take care of your self. Take care of your foot i can´t stress enough how important this is.
I would like to thank everybody for the insights in your daily live, the controls and the insuline that you use, my tipical patients with diabetes are usually elderly people and usually aren´t up to date with the new things available , if i have a younger patient, usually around forty, they almost always are people with very bad habits or an incredible bad luck.
And sorry for my english i´m not very good at writting in it

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Yep. There's an app called LibreLink that uses NFC to scan. Allegedly it should be able to automatically upload to an online service that your clinic can access, but I haven't got that bit to work properly. Word of warning, in the 60 minutes from activating a sensor using the device you need to also scan with the phone, otherwise you won't be able to access it with your phone. My guess is for privacy reasons, so someone else can't scan your sensor.

Awwwwww I dont think this is available in the US yet damn it. I think I'd lose it if I could scan the sensor with my phone D:

OP
OP
JetBlackPanda

JetBlackPanda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Hey the Libre Link app for iPhone is up in the App Store. USA.

Omg. Life changer!!

Last edited:

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
So I gotta replace the sensor in two days, we'll see how that process goes. But my current sensor has lasted really well through two weeks of cardio/lifting/showers/etc. I'm really surprised about how great this has been so far.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
So I gotta replace the sensor in two days, we'll see how that process goes. But my current sensor has lasted really well through two weeks of cardio/lifting/showers/etc. I'm really surprised about how great this has been so far.

My third one broke down after six days. It'll be interesting to see what it is like once Winter hits. I sometimes have to heat up my meter in my armpit just to get it to work, although with this being against the skin all the time it may fair better.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My diabetes is out of control. I'm a diabetic (type 2) since 2015 (Hard to forgot the date, i went to hospital the day Bloodborne was released), my blood sugar was at 6.0. My eyes took a hit, but i didn't had any blood cell that exploded on my eyes.

So i decided to take care of my diabetes, obviously. Lost 70 pounds, did a lot of weight lifting, etc... I was under Lentus (pen) and Metformin. Metformin had a really bad effect on me (pretty much couldn't control when i had to make a number 2 + big stomach pains). But since everything was alright, the doctor removed the Metformin. And it was great, i just lived my life, and i was always low in terms of blood sugar.

Then, i lost my dad 2 years ago and i simply stopped taking care of myself. So i took back all the weight i lost, and i was pretty much living Uber eats style, and no more pen.

In september, i started to pee a lot. Every 2 hours. Even at night, i woke up every 2 hours to pee. I kinda knew what it was, so i went to the doctor and i was at 3,85 blood sugar. He told me to take care in terms of food, obviously, and also to take my blood sugar everyday, which i did, for 15 days. But 10 days after, i made my second diabetes "crisis".

So i lost some sight, again, and this time some blood cells exploded. My doctor made it very clear : I'll probably go blind and on dialysis in like 10 years if i can't control my diabetes. So i'm back at it, and being really serious about it.

But i have another issue, which complicates everything : My body is making too much uric acid, which makes me have "gouty arthritis". I had maybe a few crisis, but since i had my crisis in september, i have "gouty arthritis" ever since, It's staying a few days, then it stop, then it goes back, etc... And it's atrocious in terms of pain. It feels like my feet is ultra sensitive, even a little wind on my feet can make me cry of pain. And it sucks because i need to do some exercice, but since it keeps happening, i can't. I might try to change my medication for the uric acid because something is not right here.

Anyway, i can't wait to go back to the gym.

Sorry for this post, but i think i had to vent. Haven't sleep since 24hrs because of how painful is my "gouty arthritis", codeine isn't even stopping the pain.

Take care of your diabetes y'all. Not being able to read my phone without glasses makes me feel so bad.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I can sympathize.

Family history of diabetes, long story short, I had a stroke because of my sugar intake. Full recovery, on Metformin, etc but my eyes are starting to get bad as well (48 years old) and I now have reading glasses.

I've had gout about 3 times, thankfully it wasn't as bad as yours sounds.

Good luck!

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can sympathize.

Family history of diabetes, long story short, I had a stroke because of my sugar intake. Full recovery, on Metformin, etc but my eyes are starting to get bad as well (48 years old) and I now have reading glasses.

I've had gout about 3 times, thankfully it wasn't as bad as yours sounds.

Good luck!
Thanks ! It really scares me, especially because i'm 35, but i'll for sure take care of myself as much as possible :x

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
My mother who is a Type 2 diabetic is killing herself with food. There's nothing I can say or do to stop her. She'll find a way to do whatever she wants and no matter how much I tell her that I care or want her to get better, she won't listen. Her blood sugar will get up to 430+ and it has many times now. Today it was 550 and it legit fucking shocked the hell out of me.

No idea what to do about this. I really don't want to watch my mom get herself into a coma. My whole family has a history with diabetes. I was a pre-diabetic until I lost a ton of weight and got my A1C down this year.

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So i got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about a week ago and i'm finding it hard to focus on anything else. They put me on meds for a couple of days then told me to stop taking them for now which is kind of confusing. I did get my testing machine today, used it for the first time and it came out a bit high (185) and i just started crying. I didn't eat anything crazy today, and i only drink water so its not like soda is messing me up. I feel like im failing at living better already, i've cut out sweets, switched to low carb everything and i'm moving more. I'm just afraid that if i dont do this perfectly that i'm really screwing myself over and i'll head to an early grave. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Exagenous

Jan 3, 2018
I'm T1 so I don't have a lot of direct advice. But I would say that you can't beat yourself up over it. The stress of trying to deal with it is EFFING REAL but everybody will have bad days and good days. I've had real bad days that really make me think I'll just not eat anything anymore and maybe it will work at some point. But the next day is better and the day after is a pretty decent day.

The beginning is always hard because the doctors need to figure out the base level of medicine that you need. And then you are stressed with a new diagnosis which only makes things worse.

So make sure you go to the doctors and do your best to follow what they say. But really don't beat yourself up over a bad day or a couple of bad days. You need to think about the long game and just taking steps to improve. It won't happen overnight but you can get there.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
So i got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about a week ago and i'm finding it hard to focus on anything else. They put me on meds for a couple of days then told me to stop taking them for now which is kind of confusing. I did get my testing machine today, used it for the first time and it came out a bit high (185) and i just started crying. I didn't eat anything crazy today, and i only drink water so its not like soda is messing me up. I feel like im failing at living better already, i've cut out sweets, switched to low carb everything and i'm moving more. I'm just afraid that if i dont do this perfectly that i'm really screwing myself over and i'll head to an early grave. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

I got diagnosed last year and I completely understand how it may make you feel overwhelmed with all the lifestyle changes and new information to take in. I also know the frustration of doing everything right but not getting good results with your blood glucose control, it just happens some days. Just a couple of weeks ago, I had a full day of uncontrolled sugars, even though I was eating broccoli and boiled eggs.

The best advice I can give you is to know that there are many more factors that affect your blood glucose besides your diet. Stress, hormone fluctuation, temperature, even how rested you are are a few of the over 40 known factors that can affect your blood glucose. And be aware that sometimes you may eat the exact same thing, and some unacounted for factor may lead to completely different readings from the same behavior in two separate occasions.

Screen%20Shot%202019-10-29%20at%204_45_50%20PM.png

Also, don't take your blood glucose readings as gradings for a test or your quality as a patient. The readings are just information that will help you experiment and see what you can tolerate well and what spikes you, and how to adjust these behaviors to get better control over your condition. I know sometimes I dread checking at my BG after I indulged in some cravings but then I remember that, if I don't take the reading, I would never know if I can treat myself with a few snacks once in a while.

Another thing is, exercise is a very effective way of controling BG after a meal. It doesn't even needs to be intense, just a 30 min walk after a meal is gonna do a great difference.

Finally, take things one step at a time. One bad day of high blood sugar won't kill you immediately. It's all about the cumulative damage over time, but this damage is reversible, in most cases, as long as these days with high BG are the exception and not the rule. Just keep experimenting and keep up the good spirits, stressing over bad readings is not gonna help you, since cortisol increases your insulin resistance, and not eating doesn't helps either, it usually just makes my liver release more glucose to keep up with my energetic needs, so my glucose stays the same or goes up if I skip meals. Better eat some low carb foods, like leafy greens, meat, eggs, cheese and try to take a walk in the park, if possible.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, undiagnosed here. Ive been keeping track of my BG for the last three weeks with a Relion meter from Walmart. Basically around 85-100 in the mornings. I am worried because my BG spikes really hard on rice. I hit 170 the first time testing and today 290! Both the first hour. By the second hour, it was 190, thrid hour it was 150.

My question is, is it normal to spike that hard? Its kinda scary to see these numbers. I also tested on a muffin and I hit 170 first hour and 135 in the second hour. Is the high numbers less important than the fact that Im able to get my BG down? Im going to get a A1c test regardless.

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I got diagnosed last year and I completely understand how it may make you feel overwhelmed with all the lifestyle changes and new information to take in. I also know the frustration of doing everything right but not getting good results with your blood glucose control, it just happens some days. Just a couple of weeks ago, I had a full day of uncontrolled sugars, even though I was eating broccoli and boiled eggs.

The best advice I can give you is to know that there are many more factors that affect your blood glucose besides your diet. Stress, hormone fluctuation, temperature, even how rested you are are a few of the over 40 known factors that can affect your blood glucose. And be aware that sometimes you may eat the exact same thing, and some unacounted for factor may lead to completely different readings from the same behavior in two separate occasions.

Screen%20Shot%202019-10-29%20at%204_45_50%20PM.png

Also, don't take your blood glucose readings as gradings for a test or your quality as a patient. The readings are just information that will help you experiment and see what you can tolerate well and what spikes you, and how to adjust these behaviors to get better control over your condition. I know sometimes I dread checking at my BG after I indulged in some cravings but then I remember that, if I don't take the reading, I would never know if I can treat myself with a few snacks once in a while.

Another thing is, exercise is a very effective way of controling BG after a meal. It doesn't even needs to be intense, just a 30 min walk after a meal is gonna do a great difference.

Finally, take things one step at a time. One bad day of high blood sugar won't kill you immediately. It's all about the cumulative damage over time, but this damage is reversible, in most cases, as long as these days with high BG are the exception and not the rule. Just keep experimenting and keep up the good spirits, stressing over bad readings is not gonna help you, since cortisol increases your insulin resistance, and not eating doesn't helps either, it usually just makes my liver release more glucose to keep up with my energetic needs, so my glucose stays the same or goes up if I skip meals. Better eat some low carb foods, like leafy greens, meat, eggs, cheese and try to take a walk in the park, if possible.

I completely forgot to come back this. Your post helped me a ton, i really appreciate the advice and the info. I juts cut snacks out of my life for the most part, take 2 pills a day and am a bit more active and im staying in the 90-120 range. I was so down for a couple of days but its really not that bad.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Hi all, undiagnosed here. Ive been keeping track of my BG for the last three weeks with a Relion meter from Walmart. Basically around 85-100 in the mornings. I am worried because my BG spikes really hard on rice. I hit 170 the first time testing and today 290! Both the first hour. By the second hour, it was 190, thrid hour it was 150.

My question is, is it normal to spike that hard? Its kinda scary to see these numbers. I also tested on a muffin and I hit 170 first hour and 135 in the second hour. Is the high numbers less important than the fact that Im able to get my BG down? Im going to get a A1c test regardless.

Yes, BG spikes after eating high carb foods like rice, pasta, bread etc. are fairly common. I get them too, so I try to avoid those foods as much as possible. As a type 1 the less carbohydrate counting I have to do the better I'll be able to correctly calibrate my insulin dosing. But when you do eat high carb foods be sure to continue checking your levels 1 to 2 hours after you eat. And also check your levels frequently whenever you're stressed, sick, or your routine changes. Stress in particular can and will raise your glucose levels as much as food does.

Manage what you eat, be as active as you can be, and find ways to relax and manage your stress levels and you can and will beat this disease.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

I just got diagnosed today with Type 2 and it is occupying quite the mindspace right now.