• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Obligatory fuck Activision. With that out of the way:

Diablo 2 Resurrected

There's one for getting level 99 on a Hardcore character. Cue PTSD from D2 vets who did this back then. Just look at those comments.

For those that don't know, level 98 to 99 alone is like 4000-4500 Baal runs (certain boss) at the highest difficulty and in a full party. And since this is HC, you most likely will get numb and complacent and probably die due to being distracted, and then your character is deleted.

I'm all for grinds; I mainly play RPGs and even play Gears of War which is probably more grindy than 95% of RPGs out there. I've played my fair share of Korean MMOs, which are known for being ultra-grindfests. But this is something I can't see myself doing, lol.

Who will be going for this?

Bopp

Aug 6, 2021
Might go for it eventually.

Never played Hardcore back in the day, though...gonna be quite an interesting journey, I guess.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
I mean, you don't have to do it? It is an achievement for a reason.

but also - good luck to those brave few who will be trying for it

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that IS an achievement. I don't really understand the point of achievements if everyone of them is easily obtainable. I won't be playing HC though, lol.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, what? Also, when you say 4-5k runs, do you mean beating that boss 4-5k times?
Deleted is a bit of a misnomer, but once they die, that's it. You can't play them anymore, you can't transfer their items out. They're still in your character list but are listed as dead.

And yeah, it's beating that boss 4-5k times.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I feel really bad for 100% completionists, some of those I would never even dream of getting, even as someone who has well over 1,000+ hours in the original.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017

Diablo 2 Resurrected

There's one for getting level 99 on a Hardcore character. Cue PTSD from D2 vets who did this back then. Just look at those comments.

For those that don't know, level 98 to 99 alone is like 4000-4500 Baal runs (certain boss) at the highest difficulty and in a full party. And since this is HC, you most likely will get numb and complacent and probably die due to being distracted, and then your character is deleted.

I'm all for grinds; I mainly play RPGs and even play Gears of War which is probably more grindy than 95% of RPGs out there. I've played my fair share of Korean MMOs, which are known for being ultra-grindfests. But this is something I can't see myself doing, lol.

'4000-4500 Baal runs'

Oof I definitely dont remember it being that bad

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I've had several lvl99 HC characters. I've also LOST a lot of HC characters lol. I'll play HC only.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018

Diablo 2 Resurrected

Do we know the balance is the same?

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I mean, you don't have to do it? It is an achievement for a reason.

Who said I had to do it?

I mean, that IS an achievement. I don't really understand the point of achievements if everyone of them is easily obtainable. I won't be playing HC though, lol.

Oh, I agree. I'll play HC but I don't know what I'll do if I'm 200 hours into Baal runs and I look away for a sec and some bullshit causes me to instantly die. Although PoE probably scarred me there.

I'm sorry, what? Also, when you say 4-5k runs, do you mean beating that boss 4-5k times?

Yes.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
As someone who does not care about achievements this is awesome. It will be super rare and only those hardcore players will get it. And why the hell not.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
And on console you dont get to sub second esc -> leave game to save yourself on hardcore. Yeah you can close the game on console but it takes a couple seconds

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the other achievements, I legit wonder if the person making them realized what this one entailed. They all seem to be checklisty in a way that I can see someone just casually suggesting "max level hardcore" as one more thing on a list.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Just read through the list. That isn't really difficult. More time consuming vs difficulty.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, whatever. If people want to waste their time doing it, that's their problem.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Like everything else in life the sweet spot follows the 80/20 rule -- and I think this list pretty much nails that, 80% of those achievements are reasonably attainable in 20% of the time it'd take to get the remaining 20%.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Considering they added things like the Uber fights to single player / offline, I wonder if they tweaked the EXP for those.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not every achievement has to be attainable by the entire playerbase. This gives the most hardcore something to strive for and I think that's commendable.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 3 had a "get a max lvl hardcore character" achievement

G57JLfQ.png

Though that was infinitely more easily to attain, as getting to lvl 70 in Diablo 3 can:
a) be done by doing much less dangerous / monotonous things, like bounty runs
b) be achieved in much much shorter time...

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
lvl 99 with a hardcore character... who the hell comes up with these?

Isn't Rod Fergusson from GoW fame over there now? That might explain it, lol.

Yup, that's the D2 endgame.

Unfortunately this, and killing BM PKers outside of act1 safe zone.

This. People want achievements handed to them now? Its called an achievement for a reason

Did you read the OP? Okay then.

I'm not going to read comments from people that are playing games just for stacking easy achievements. Of course they're going to be mad about that lol.

To be fair, most people on that site care more about TA score over achievements because it has more "value." That's why the site originally came to be. I myself have a few achievements and trophies that only a few hundred people in the world have.

And on console you dont get to sub second esc -> leave game to save yourself on hardcore. Yeah you can close the game on console but it takes a couple seconds

This was a thing back then? I never took HC seriously until PoE.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I played a crap ton of D2 back in the day and never ever made it to 99 with any character.