• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The items will drop at the level of the character they drop for. But stat rolls are still in a random range, so one level 70 set piece can be significantly better than another. They can also roll different stats to begin with.

So really, that specific question is kind of silly. It doesn't matter. Two level 70 characters will get drops from the same pool, but one can still get a better roll. Like at this point on my Crusader, I'm playing for better rolls on the gear I already have.

Paragon level doesn't change the gear drops then? Just regular level?

So run a seasonal Barbarian to get the goods at Level 70 that I can then give to my regular main Barbarian after the season ends in about a month. Correct?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paragon level doesn't change the gear drops then? Just regular level?

So run a seasonal Barbarian to get the goods at Level 70 that I can then give to my regular main Barbarian after the season ends in about a month. Correct?
Correct.

...but for many, seasons are the "main" endgame. When the new season starts, most of us will be rolling new characters to play it. The regular roster is just our OP reserves for when we want to blow off steam and feel like gods. Or test builds using gear we have stashed before we decide to try and farm it in season.

As for Paragon, no, it doesn't change drop rate. Only difficulty changes drop rate — and just the rate. You'll get more legendaries at Torment XIII and higher GR's, but the actual stats of those legendaries are still rolled the same as a fresh 70 at Torment I. You just get more of them, so your odds of getting a better item are higher overall. More chances to roll.

You also need to realize that the seasonal gear rewards aren't exclusive items. You can still farm the free seasonal set on your normal barb. Season just gives you the set for free, to jumpstart your progress in the endgame. The free sets rotate every season. Each class will have a different set as their "free" reward next season.

Last edited:

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Paragon 200, still a long way from 800, that's the cap right?
There's no cap to Paragon levels. After 800, you just get Core points, where you can put an endless amount of them into Vitality or [your character's main stat].

You are right about P200 being a long way away from P800, though. Fun fact: you're actually only about 1% of the way there, in terms of the XP needed. :D

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same here!

Edit: Question, as a Necromancer, what's the best way to increase your survivability? I have the full Rathma set, which has taken me to Torment VIII fine, but I feel like a glass cannon. I can handle most mobs and enemies fine enough, but if I get hit by an elite,] or a boss enemy, it's almost always a one or two shot to kill me. I'm concerned about moving up towards to later torment levels.
My best bet so far has been agility and speed. I dumped my Paragon points into movement speed, found a good Life Per Second recovery piece of gear, and try to zip around using Blood Rush with Metabolism.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct.

...but for many, seasons are the "main" endgame. When the new season starts, most of us will be rolling new characters to play it. The regular roster is just our OP reserves for when we want to blow off steam and feel like gods. Or test builds using gear we have stashed before we decide to try and farm it in season.

As for Paragon, no, it doesn't change drop rate. Only difficulty changes drop rate — and just the rate. You'll get more legendaries at Torment XIII and higher GR's, but the actual stats of those legendaries are still rolled the same as a fresh 70 at Torment I. You just get more of them, so your odds of getting a better item are higher overall. More chances to roll.

You also need to realize that the seasonal gear rewards aren't exclusive items. You can still farm the free seasonal set on your normal barb. Season just gives you the set for free, to jumpstart your progress in the endgame. The free sets rotate every season. Each class will have a different set as their "free" reward next season.

Thank you, much appreciated.

I guess I just need to understand that more. I will probably roll a Barbarian for this season to get that gear and then start a Necromancer once the new season starts in mid-December.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017

I guess I just need to understand that more. I will probably roll a Barbarian for this season to get that gear and then start a Necromancer once the new season starts in mid-December.
You could also just keep going and break through the barrier. I was in a similar place, just got the Switch version and didn't full understand the seasons stuff, and made a normal character before realizing I could get a full set on a seasonal character. But now, ~10 days since I bought it, my non-seasonal wizard has every single major set, tearing things up on the highest difficulty and around GR62.

If you keep at it, you'll start getting sets filled out before you know it. Look up some decent builds online and use Kanai's Cube to get extra legendary effects, and you should be able to push past that barrier.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's still a bit more to learn with Ancient legendaries (and then Primal Ancient legendaries - lol) but that's probably not knowledge you need for the moment.

Start a seasonal character, powerlevel to 70, and then start the season journey. The journey will require you to do things that will teach you the endgame. Like find Kanai's Cube, reroll a stat, craft a Hellfire Amulet, augment an Ancient legendary, etc. Season journey is the tutorial you're looking for, which is why everyone in this thread (including the OP) recommends for new players to roll a seasonal. There's 0 downside. You'll probably still need to look stuff up, but you'll know exactly what you need to look up.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
yo which DH set was the turret one? Marauder right? Ima insta roll a DH if its viable again, I fucking loved that shit back in the day.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could also just keep going and break through the barrier. I was in a similar place, just got the Switch version and didn't full understand the seasons stuff, and made a normal character before realizing I could get a full set on a seasonal character. But now, ~10 days since I bought it, my non-seasonal wizard has every single major set, tearing things up on the highest difficulty and around GR62.

If you keep at it, you'll start getting sets filled out before you know it. Look up some decent builds online and use Kanai's Cube to get extra legendary effects, and you should be able to push past that barrier.
Sounds like you're a prime candidate to roll a seasonal as a different class and get the rewards! Next month your two characters will have their stashes merged anyway.

The gear rewards for season are not exclusive, but there is an exclusive pet and portrait frame that will never be attainable again after the season ends. If you care about that stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Start a seasonal character, powerlevel to 70, and then start the season journey. The journey will require you to do things that will teach you the endgame. Like find Kanai's Cube, reroll a stat, craft a Hellfire Amulet, augment an Ancient legendary, etc. Season journey is the tutorial you're looking for, which is why everyone in this thread (including the OP) recommends for new players to roll a seasonal. There's 0 downside. You'll probably still need to look stuff up, but you'll know exactly what you need to look up.

Just to add to this, I would also spend a moment on what stats to reroll as well. This is going to vary from build to build (i.e. some prioritize attack speed, some cooldown reduction, etc). You'll feel a huge difference with gear rolled properly for the build you're playing. I'm sure icy-veins was mentioned elsewhere but there's a ton of info there to get started.

I'd also recommend looking into your gem setups as some are slightly counter-intuitive from first glance. Judging a weapon solely by its sheet DPS should make sense but doesn't. Then there's Ramdalani's Gift and the like but that falls into more of the ancient/primal level of Diablo 201 so to speak. Very rough guideline would be: Rubies/Diamonds for your helm, Emerald/Ruby/Topaz (or Diamonds for defense) depending on your main stat for chest and legs, Emerald for weapon, appropriate legendary gems for your jewelry.

Also agree that the Season is the tutorial (or at least the best imitation of one), but this is also the first device where an online connection can't practically always be assumed. Those of us that have played for years just naturally go to seasons but I think even a little splash screen with some more detail could have done the trick for brand new players.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for leveling a hardcore character? I need a break from the GR grind, so I rolled a new Crusader in hardcore. Never really played the mode before.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna sound dumb but try and focus on the objectives themselves. It's easy to get lost just having fun killing shit and upgrading your stuff all the time. Some (or all maybe?) of the chapters have challenges that have character levels in the descriptions; those are good lvl requirement expectations for the difficulties the challenges require. So if you are lower level, do other stuff until you are at least that level.

Sorry, but where do you see the character levels for the challenges/objectives?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Any tips for leveling a hardcore character? I need a break from the GR grind, so I rolled a new Crusader in hardcore. Never really played the mode before.
Most of all: be patient. On Hardcore you either learn this the easy way or the painful way. Do not go into difficulties that you can't easily clear, and don't get too greedy with Greater Rifts. Paragon levels may come more slowly than normal because of this, but each one is valuable; they will get subsequent characters on their feet much more quickly. Obviously, have your avoid-death passive equipped at all times, even if you don't think you'll need it.

For your first hardcore character: work on building up the stuff that isn't lost if you die, like your artisans, Paragon, gold, crafting materials, Kanai's Cube recipes, etc. Do lots of bounties (this season's great for HC!). Cubing a level 25 Gem of Ease with an item will remove its level requirement; try to keep such at least one such weapon in your stash at all times so a future character can get up to speed. Other than that, good luck, have fun, and play carefully...

EDIT: for Crusader, try to go for the Akkhan build. Akarat's Champion has the Prophet rune, which is yet another cheat-death skill. (Akkhan's Addendum is a good weapon to shoot for, as it will automatically give you Prophet and one other rune.)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Most of all: be patient. On Hardcore you either learn this the easy way or the painful way. Do not go into difficulties that you can't easily clear, and don't get too greedy with Greater Rifts. Paragon levels may come more slowly than normal because of this, but each one is valuable; they will get subsequent characters on their feet much more quickly. Obviously, have your avoid-death passive equipped at all times, even if you don't think you'll need it.

For your first hardcore character: work on building up the stuff that isn't lost if you die, like your artisans, Paragon, gold, crafting materials, Kanai's Cube recipes, etc. Do lots of bounties (this season's great for HC!). Cubing a level 25 Gem of Ease with an item will remove its level requirement; try to keep such at least one such weapon in your stash at all times so a future character can get up to speed. Other than that, good luck, have fun, and play carefully...

EDIT: for Crusader, try to go for the Akkhan build. Akarat's Champion has the Prophet rune, which is yet another cheat-death skill. (Akkhan's Addendum is a good weapon to shoot for, as it will automatically give you Prophet and one other rune.)
Alternatively; push as hard as you can, constantly stay on the edge of what your character can survive and have some genuinely intense experiences in this otherwise somewhat limp and repetitive game. Whichever you prefer, honestly.

Just make sure your connection is generally stable and free of random disconnects on your end because that just sucks in HC, though you should always expect losing characters sooner or later.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Good ol Rhykker talking about building excitement of seeing the red beam and then the reality of 'crap, guess I gotta salvage it.' I know he was trying to make it sound more positive, but that's all I heard. lol

yup lol. He's also very critical of the set focused end game, but we already knew that. Like I say, it is what it is.

I'm just happy if more builds become viable tbh, like I'm going through this problem right now, the difference between my shitty geared Condemn 'Sader and now my Helltooth Garg is just ridiculous.

btw Kadin I think ill start S16 with DH and try that UE Multishot that I was going to do after the Crusader but I got sidetracked by the WD.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Is this patch just for PC or is Switch up to date with that version?

Funny seeing Rhykker, I just killed an elite named after him earlier today

I asked this yesterday and it seems new seasons are day and date on console so we should see it simultaneously. Keep in mind PTR (public test realm) is a PC only thing.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
yup lol. He's also very critical of the set focused end game, but we already knew that. Like I say, it is what it is.

I'm just happy if more builds become viable tbh, like I'm going through this problem right now, the difference between my shitty geared Condemn 'Sader and now my Helltooth Garg is just ridiculous.

btw Kadin I think ill start S16 with DH and try that UE Multishot that I was going to do after the Crusader but I got sidetracked by the WD.
Nice, you're gonna have a lot of fun with it. It'll be my starter again as well I imagine. Unless the gifts are different and they put in another set instead of UE. I forget how the rotation of those works.

Actually plan on it changing if the past is any indication. Think we'll (DH's) be getting Nat's this time.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
For the life of me, I cant roll a socket in my traveler's pledge, must have rolled 50+ times now

edit: of course as I type this, I finally roll the socket lol.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So I was in the desolates sands area (story mode) and a giant earth worm came out of nowhere. I beat the crap outta him and it left a hole in the ground which was the entrance to a (secret?) underground level called "Wormhole Level 1" or something like that.
Anyways, I was playing through said underground level when I had to stop and leave the switch in standby.
Yesterday I wanted to continue but apparently the update scewed my switch, so I had to hard reset it.
Everything worked fine and I restarted diablo thinking I can hop into the wormhole again and finish the level.
Well, it's gone and I can't seem to find it again. I roamed the desolate sands for an hour and tge damn worm didn't appear.

Whats up with that? Was that a random event?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Whats up with that? Was that a random event?

Yeah, tons of the maps have random mini-dungeons like this. This one is pretty unique in that the entrance is created by killing a rare boss monster (I think there are a few other examples scattered throughout the game). Sometimes it will appear, sometimes it won't, it's just that simple.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
welp, Endless Walk is as awkward to use with no spender as I expected. The dmg boost is deffo noticiable of course, but it's like, I guess I'll just stand here next to my pets doing nothing so they get the buff >_>

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Necromancer is a lot of fun. Though over powered most of the time it's perfect for a second play through.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017

Well, fuck

Yeah, tons of the maps have random mini-dungeons like this. This one is pretty unique in that the entrance is created by killing a rare boss monster (I think there are a few other examples scattered throughout the game). Sometimes it will appear, sometimes it won't, it's just that simple.

Ok.thanks for the info.
So my only chance is replying the stage till it appears again?
Do you know what I will have to do to "set the counter back"?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so turns out, having a ring be part of a specific build is a pain in the ass, because there are so many in the game, the pool is huge :(

on happier news, I leveled a gem of ease to 25 to make this silly 4200 dps 2h sword level-less so I can give it to my lvl 1 barb, so that should be pretty hilarious :p

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is the Jesseth set like ultra rare? I keep getting the same 4 sets, Pestilence, Inarius, Rathma and Blackthorne.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
but finish what dude? that will just pop again randomly, you are looking at the game wrong.

ehh...I already finished and played the game intensivley on my ps3 years ago. I know what I'm up to.
I didn't explore the entire cave before my switch crashed. afair I didn't even enter the second floor. I don't like leaving areas unexplored....at all.
thats all.
bad habit, I know. it makes me play games for hours for nothing

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I think I've reached my limit on Greater Rifts. Level 60.
You should push a little more, at least 70 to unlock the best items (primal rarity).

I'm already a bit bored. But it's tied to my lack of luck. 0 progress on my stuff for days on all my characters. I only got cosmetics (wings, pets, portrait frames, banner décorations...). I hope I'll get more luck on the next season.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
ehh...I already finished and played the game intensivley on my ps3 years ago. I know what I'm up to.
I didn't explore the entire cave before my switch crashed. afair I didn't even enter the second floor. I don't like leaving areas unexplored....at all.
thats all.
bad habit, I know. it makes me play games for hours for nothing
Nope I'm right there with you
I'm still in Act III of story mode cause I explore every single area I find until the map is filled out. I kill every demon and get my hands on every lore entry I come across

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
You should push a little more, at least 70 to unlock the best items (primal rarity).

I'm already a bit bored. But it's tied to my lack of luck. 0 progress on my stuff for days on all my characters. I only got cosmetics (wings, pets, portrait frames, banner décorations...). I hope I'll get more luck on the next season.
Just wait until you get your first primal ancient:)

and it's a blackthorne:'(

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Well, fuck

Ok.thanks for the info.
So my only chance is replying the stage till it appears again?
Do you know what I will have to do to "set the counter back"?
Start a new session in adventure mode and look at the map. If you see an Act II bounty called "Clear the Cave of Burrowing Horror", that's it (if not, quit and start another one until it pops up). The bounty will be to kill the big worm and clear the dungeon it leaves behind.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Anyone planning to play the PTR on PC when it starts up? I'll be playing for the week so hit me up on here or discord if you wanna play at all.