• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
At level 54 on Expert with a Demon Hunter, and I just don't feel like I'm dealing enough damage per second to make this viable at a higher difficulty. I have the Bat pet to help manage my Hatred level, and I'm using Twin Chakram and the Sentry Turret as my main damage dealers. I use Evasive Fire as my generator.

What am I missing with the Demon Hunter and DPS?

The DH is a weak character for leveling. Once you get to 70 and get your first set, things will get much more fun!

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
At level 54 on Expert with a Demon Hunter, and I just don't feel like I'm dealing enough damage per second to make this viable at a higher difficulty. I have the Bat pet to help manage my Hatred level, and I'm using Twin Chakram and the Sentry Turret as my main damage dealers. I use Evasive Fire as my generator.

You're undergeared. This hurts a DH more than it does most other classes.

In the short term, you might be able to alleviate this problem by checking what your worst equipment is and seeing if vendors or the blacksmith have anything better available.

In the long term, this problem pretty much solves itself as you hit 70 and everything starts vomiting legendaries and set items at you.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DH is a weak character for leveling. Once you get to 70 and get your first set, things will get much more fun!
I'll take your word for it. Right now, even on Hard in Act IV, I have to go through two to three full Hatred bars to kill a mob of blue monsters.

You're undergeared. This hurts a DH more than it does most other classes.

In the short term, you might be able to alleviate this problem by checking what your worst equipment is and seeing if vendors or the blacksmith have anything better available.

In the long term, this problem pretty much solves itself as you hit 70 and everything starts vomiting legendaries and set items at you.

I'm focusing on + Dexterity items and anything that would help with my primary skills or Hatred generation. The DH is a dexterity build, right?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. You start each season completely fresh - no gold, no Paragon, no items or upgrades. When the season ends, everything transfers to your non-season characters (including the characters themselves).

So just to clarify, when season characters 'retire' to non-season, gold and paragon points stack/accumulate? So if you run say 4 seasons your non season characters will have a shit ton of gold and paragon points to play with?

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I'm focusing on + Dexterity items and anything that would help with my primary skills or Hatred generation. The DH is a dexterity build, right?

DH is indeed dex, but focusing on stat priorities and the like only really starts paying dividends when you hit 70, because that's where stats ultimately start balancing out. While leveling, I usually just wear whatever has the most green arrows in the stat comparison tooltip. It's just more expedient that way. That being said, undergearing is sometimes just unavoidable while leveling because of the random nature of the loot system. I'm also leveling a DH this season, and I didn't even find items for all gear slots until level 40 or so. If it gets real bad and you find yourself wearing uncommon level 20 pants or something, it's time to just grit your teeth and craft or buy new ones.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Is there a good sort of tier list for the gifts this season? I see everyone talking about DH but I don't really wanna play a DH and was wondering what else is looking good?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Did you try Rapid Fire with one of its sub skills, e.g. fire support or high velocity?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good sort of tier list for the gifts this season? I see everyone talking about DH but I don't really wanna play a DH and was wondering what else is looking good?

Here are all the sets:

Barbarian – Immortal King's Call
Crusader – Seeker of the Light
Demon Hunter – Natalya's Vengeance
Monk – Uliana's Stratagem
Witch Doctor – Spirit of Arachyr
Wizard – Vyr's Amazing Arcana

Based off of the tier lists...

Barb - Raekor is S, but IK set should be A or S I suspect
Crus - Hammerdin set is still top tier in the A bracket
DH - On it's own, it's a B tier. But with the season buff, you can run N6M4 for an S tier build
Monk - C tier from what I see (I don't touch Monk)?
Necro - Trag set looks like a B tier set, but with the pestilence set, similar Lancer style jumps to A tier
WD - B tier
Wiz - Archon is around a D, but variations jump to the B range

This is all just off info I've found and read up on.

In my opinion, the best gift this season looks like Barb, Crus, or DH. But that's if you're pushing GR 100+. You're probably fine with any set depending on the style of play you want to get into.

Check this link for some great details.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
So just to clarify, when season characters 'retire' to non-season, gold and paragon points stack/accumulate? So if you run say 4 seasons your non season characters will have a shit ton of gold and paragon points to play with?

Yup. With paragon it's important to note however that what carries over isn't paragon levels, but rather paragon experience. So for instance if you did two seasons and got 400 paragon levels on both, don't expect 800 paragon levels on your off season characters, as paragon levels require more and more exp at higher levels.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. With paragon it's important to note however that what carries over isn't paragon levels, but rather paragon experience. So for instance if you did two seasons and got 400 paragon levels on both, don't expect 800 paragon levels on your off season characters, as paragon levels require more and more exp at higher levels.

gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
as usual, remidner that all the classes are virtually indistinguishable at end game with sets and proper builds than they are while you level. It's completely different, and so is the game really.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Yep. It's very satisfying to put an extra hundred or so points on all your non-seasonal characters when a season ends. :D

All items/equipment carry over as well (they get sent to the Mailbox in each town).

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leveling my Necromancer and it's kind of ho-hum. I think I hit 43 yesterday in a couple of hours of grinding rifts or whatever. It's a long way from when I was on my DH last year doing 30M on Multishot and finishing Level 60 rifts with like 10 legendaries dropping at a time.

I don't even know what I'm doing so I'm just spamming bone spikes of various types and suffering through my Leoric's Crown being 25 levels below my current level because it has 50% XP on it due to the legendary ability + rubies.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Think I found a Wiz build I like - Tal Rasha Frozen Orb. It's super chill and easy to play while doing other things. I'm not claiming my gift on my Wiz and will likely do so on DH.

Are we at the point where people are able to boost alts to 70 quick?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The 6pc buff to Blessed Hammer this season is so nutsy that I've gone T6+ from the start. I could go higher but I have like 500 allres and I'm playing HC lol

Things just melt though. Rift guardians go down before I can blink. Dominion means I can stack the movement buffs and go to town. Fallen Sword just slows me down so fuck it lol

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm thinking of starting a seasonal character soon - probably a Demon Hunter. I know most people here mention to jump straight into Adventure Mode - which I'm fine with. I'm just curious what specifically you focus on in adventure mode when leveling a new character solo? Can you just do random bounties, or is there other stuff too?

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I'm thinking of starting a seasonal character soon - probably a Demon Hunter. I know most people here mention to jump straight into Adventure Mode - which I'm fine with. I'm just curious what specifically you focus on in adventure mode when leveling a new character solo? Can you just do random bounties, or is there other stuff too?

It's mainly bounties and Nephalem Rifts, yes.

Apart from that, there are a couple of other things:

In Act III, you'll want to go grab Kanai's Cube from the Ruins of Sescheron.

The annual Darkening of Tristram event is also currently on, so you can go through the original Diablo dungeon for some unique items. It's in Act I. Just look for the red pentagram on the map.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
You can do lots of things in Adventure Mode: bounties, quests, rifts, or even just freeroam if you want. There's a lot of stuff off the beaten path.

My typical roadmap for leveling new seasonal characters is to get Kanai's Cube, do Bounties until level 70 for mats and gold, then gear up at the blacksmith/Cube and do multiplayer rifts/grifts. If I need more mats for the Cube I'll do another round of bounties on the highest difficulty level I can. The big goal is of course to solo Greater Rift 70+ as early as possible to unlock Primal drops; if you get a good enough build (and a good enough rift...) you can do it pretty early.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Have had really shitty luck so far. I've gone over 70 paragon levels with no good drops. Not a huge deal, but I'm only plvl like 85. I hate farming DB because it just feels so slow.

Should I run rifts or bounties for better set item and DB drop chances??

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Have had really shitty luck so far. I've gone over 70 paragon levels with no good drops. Not a huge deal, but I'm only plvl like 85. I hate farming DB because it just feels so slow.

Should I run rifts or bounties for better set item and DB drop chances??

Rifts have a higher Legendary drop rate than non-rift areas (roughly 45% more), so definitely go there if you're hunting. Having additional players in the party also increases your chance, so play multiplayer rifts if you can. The base difficulty affects legendary drops too, of course.

Death's Breath will become less of an issue as you break into the higher Torments. On Torment VIII and above you're guaranteed at least one DB from every elite kill; on Torment XII and above you're guaranteed at least two.

For now just focus on clearing rifts and greater rifts at a difficulty that's challenging but not overwhelming. Get those paragon points and the good stuff will come in the meantime. Remember to also use bloodshards to gamble for stuff at Kadala. She has a 10% chance to unveil a Legendary/Set item, making her an excellent source for getting a powerful item of a specific type.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Not that it matters for this season since I already did it, but I read online that it's best to start up a non-adventure game first and run through it until you beat Skeleton King for the guaranteed Leoric's Crown drop (which you then slot the best ruby you can find in for the doubled XP boost). Then you go over to Adventure mode and level up to 70. Is that true, or is it best to just do Adventure/do you get the crown for killing Skeleton King in Adventure anyway?

Also, I can't wait until I get 6pc Natalya's active. I'm not having much trouble killing stuff in T4 right now, but every so often I just die in less than a second.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Not that it matters for this season since I already did it, but I read online that it's best to start up a non-adventure game first and run through it until you beat Skeleton King for the guaranteed Leoric's Crown drop (which you then slot the best ruby you can find in for the doubled XP boost). Then you go over to Adventure mode and level up to 70. Is that true, or is it best to just do Adventure/do you get the crown for killing Skeleton King in Adventure anyway?

Also, I can't wait until I get 6pc Natalya's active. I'm not having much trouble killing stuff in T4 right now, but every so often I just die in less than a second.
Doesn't really matter since it's only just a fraction of bonus xp because you don't have the higher level gems until lvl. 61. You can do bounties, get the Cain and Born recipe and get more bonus xp that way. Also cherrypicking gear with xp after each kill helps too.

When you reach lvl. 70 you will not want the Leoric's Crown in Kanai's cube anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Dinuba, CA

Thanks for the tip! I've been playing consistently since over the Christmas break and am really enjoying the game. I added every friend code I could find in the OT.

Here's mine anyone is interested: 0395-3487-7795

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
N6M4 combo is nuts. I still don't have all the non-Set equipment for it and I just vaporized GR70. (My first-time Primal quite literally stunk: it was a Pox Faulds...)

In the grand scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket. I'm honestly not even sure it could provide a net XP advantage, considering the time it takes to reach the King in story mode in the first place. IMO you're better off just putting a ruby in the first socketed helm you find in Adventure mode and just leave it at that. Past level 70 you're going to want a more useful helm+gem anyway.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Playing crusader and god damn the hammerdin is insane at least at tier 10…
RNG not being great, cannot for the life of me get any of the recommended rings/amulet. Or the weapon/shield combo.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
RNG not being great, cannot for the life of me get any of the recommended rings/amulet. Or the weapon/shield combo.
Tbh the most important piece after the 6pc set is the Vambraces because it will make resource management a lot easier. The other gear just makes you do more damage when you already do billions of damage lol

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017

I'm still stugling to get the bracers and Weapon to make the IK HOTA build really work, not to talk about the shoulders I want and the rings and Amulet, oh and then the actual weapon set.... sometimes it's a bit frustrating,

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Tbh the most important piece after the 6pc set is the Vambraces because it will make resource management a lot easier. The other gear just makes you do more damage when you already do billions of damage lol

I do not have the belt or bracers. I have the hammer jammers and the belt that everytime you use Justice it cast Blessed Hammer so not even using any wrath right now. When I blind an enemy the damage output is at 10b. Which almost two shots most elites. If i can get proper gear I know this build will be a death storm of fun.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Finished GR 72, 74, 76, 78, 80...no problem. The N6M4 build feels almost unstoppable. Just when I think enemies are starting to get too damage-spongey, I just set down another turret, then a third, maybe a fourth...and every enemy just disintegrates. Plus Orek gives me like 10-12 Paragon levels when I talk to him to finish the rift (most recently went from p437 to p448). I haven't even upgraded my regular gems fully; my emeralds are still mostly just regular Royal, lol.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Well my season journey is complete on PC. Not sure if I have enough desire to start over again this season on Switch. Maybe next week, we'll see. Overall this season was damn strong for Wizard with Tal Rasha Meteor. WD with Jade was also a lot of fun.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
apparently Hammerdin is a lot stronger than ppl gave it credit for in the PTR according to Rhykker, thats dope because Hammerdin is super fun to play.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Dawn hand crossbow and now my Vengeance cooldown is super low lol.

Feels good reigning death on everything but on Torment IV I die in two hits.

Only a few more things and my season set is complete though. Then I can begin the true grind.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
apparently Hammerdin is a lot stronger than ppl gave it credit for in the PTR according to Rhykker, thats dope because Hammerdin is super fun to play.
Today I cleared GR50 with ease. The only problem are those big zombies that explode. One hit takes like 80% off my HP lol. I have 900k HP.

Not sure how I can increase my damage reduction apart from praying I get 2 Unity's. Those explosions are physical-based right? Is that the same as melee damage? Or is it ranged physical?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
how do you claim / get the butterfly wings from the season anyway?

edit: nvm I own them lol >_<

Last edited:

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Have double dipped on this having put about 160 hours into the PC version over the past few years.

I am assuming battery life is pretty bad for everyone? I have not seen a game drain the switch like this so far, it pretty much went from 100% to under 20% in about 2 hours.

Really enjoying the game though, it is nice to go through with some of the classes I have barely touched and take part in some seasonal play which I have never really done before.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Have double dipped on this having put about 160 hours into the PC version over the past few years.

I am assuming battery life is pretty bad for everyone? I have not seen a game drain the switch like this so far, it pretty much went from 100% to under 20% in about 2 hours.

Really enjoying the game though, it is nice to go through with some of the classes I have barely touched and take part in some seasonal play which I have never really done before.
I was able to get ~3 hours with Diablo 3. But on flights, my battery lasted a lot longer thanks to this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9QVE4Q

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018

Yeah certainly drains battery pretty quickly but 2-3 hour sessions are pretty good when on the go or not able to be docked.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone playing now and want to trade off some level boosting? Just started a fresh sorcerer I want to get to 70 quickly. I have a decked out multishot demon hunter that can tear through torment VI rifts in no time so I can help level up one of your toons, too.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
N6M4 is super duper squishy. Doesnt help that I still don't have a Zoey's Secret either, that dmg reduction from the pets is a must.

DMG is great tho, finally got a Manticore for the weapon cube slot too, so I can actually spam Cluster Arrow without going out of hatred in 2 seconds lol.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N6M4 is super duper squishy. Doesnt help that I still don't have a Zoey's Secret either, that dmg reduction from the pets is a must.

DMG is great tho, finally got a Manticore for the weapon cube slot too, so I can actually spam Cluster Arrow without going out of hatred in 2 seconds lol.
Yeah, without the gear, I'm finding it hard to go above Torment II with this DH build.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, without the gear, I'm finding it hard to go above Torment II with this DH build.

well what gear are we talking about? when I got the 6p Natalie from the season gift, I imediatly jumped to T6 easily. When I slowly got the Marauder 6p, I could do T13. Right now im up to Grift 70, dmg wise I can do it fine, just I get insta gibbed easily, like from those jumping mobs I dont see coming or something. But even with deaths I'm clearing Grifts with more than enough time left. I'm also still missing the pet legendary gem which hasnt dropped yet.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well what gear are we talking about? when I got the 6p Natalie from the season gift, I imediatly jumped to T6 easily. When I slowly got the Marauder 6p, I could do T13. Right now im up to Grift 70, dmg wise I can do it fine, just I get insta gibbed easily, like from those jumping mobs I dont see coming or something. But even with deaths I'm clearing Grifts with more than enough time left. I'm also still missing the pet legendary gem which hasnt dropped yet.

I have Natalya's set from the season gift, and I'm using the skill guide from here. I just rolled a Marauder's Spine, but I don't have:
The Traveler's Pledge
Wraps of Clarity (at a high enough level to make it worthwhile)
Marauder's Gloves
Zoey's Secret
The Compass Rose
Bombardier's Rucksack
Manticore
Cindercoat
Convention of Elements

I need to switch out some gems (mostly emeralds for now, and I can swap them for diamonds, per this guide) to see if that increases my damage. But, it feels like it's taking too long to kill enemies in T2, and I got squashed in T5, much less T7.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
i dont see how you can be stuck in just T2 with 6p Nat, im sure I went straight to T4 at the very least with it :(

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
How active is the community on Switch? I've already put in countless hours on PC and PS4, but I'm thinking about grabbing this while it's on sale.