• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Reddit thread in discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9ti6bs/diablo_3_on_switch_requires_family_online/

(Update: Discussion is "removed due to excessive reports from the community")

OP, the Reddit post you linked/got your info from was removed due "multiple reports from the community." Just a heads up as I don't use Reddit and so don't know the reason specifically why it was removed (but can still be read, just kicked out of their front page)

That said, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if you need a Family Plan specifically, but each user profile does need to be linked to a Nintendo account with NSO access. I know several Switch games work that way (i.e. a guest account doesn't cut it.) Can you clarify/confirm that a Family Plan is mandatory?

Updated gists:

• You don't need a family subscription. It's just that the second profile also needs to be subscribed to NSO in some way.

As I understand it, online subscriptions are on a per-account basis rather than a per-machine basis, so on paper it makes total sense. If there are two accounts and one account doesn't have the subscription, the accounts would not be able to play together online because one wouldn't have access to the online portion of the game.

The gists are:

• The author has read about the game that it would require the Nintendo Online Subscription to play online.
  • However, the author attempted to play locally with a 2nd player (on 1 switch), and found out the game is unable to go online with that 'user account', as it doesnt have online access.
  • The author tried out the same thing with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and noted that "you can play 2 player on 1 switch online, with just 1 online subscription." But, this has been pointed out that this is offline local multiplayer, which is allowed.
  • The author said it doesn't matter if the 2nd player's account/profile was tied to another Nintendo account.
  • The author made a new guest account and didn't tie it to an account. When choosing that account as the 2nd player for Diablo online, the game forces the author to link it to a Nintendo account (presumably to check for online subscription). If declined linking it, it won't work for online.
  • The author has tried both using a normal character and a seasonal character. There was no difference.
  • The author did specify a player can make seasonal characters with or without Switch Online, but it requires Switch Online to actually play online.
More gists (correction for the strikethrough text):

• Mario Kart co-op online doesn't use two profiles. It uses a main profile and then a guest.
  • /u/Robin64 - "It's completely different because the other players aren't making use of distinct local profiles with their own progression and such stored completely separately. But that's core to Diablo 3. Each player's characters are stored in that player's profile / saves. The same basic kind of "anonymous guest" can't sensibly be used."

Public opinion on this:
  • Reddit community agreed this may be a bug.
  • Some agreed this is not caused by Nintendo. Rather, they said the blame is on Blizzard and how the game does the checks online.
  • From Tunesmith , it's the same for any online game that supports more than 1 player on Switch (that doesn't allow Guests). MK and Rocket League uses Guests. This was known long before the paid Switch Online plans went live, and all Users must subscribe either individually or via Family Plan to be used online for those games that doesn't allow guests.

Thoughts? I didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I create one.

If you are unsatisfied with the game, you have this:
Yeah, no native "upgrading" option is a big omission from Nintendo.

Based on the help article it does sound like they might offer some pro-rated refund option or something along those lines if you have "significant time left" on your individual subscription when upgrading.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41203/~/can-i-change-my-nintendo-switch-online-membership-type-(individual-or-family)?

If you already have an individual membership and want to upgrade to a family membership, purchase or be added to a family membership.
  • Please note that the remaining time on your individual membership will not be carried over to extend the family membership, so you will have two memberships running concurrently. You will receive whichever is longer - the remaining time on the family membership or the remaining time on your individual membership.
  • If you have a significant amount of time remaining on your individual membership, please contact us for additional options.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Reddit thread in discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9ti6bs/diablo_3_on_switch_requires_family_online/

The gists are:

• The author has read about the game that it would require the Nintendo Online Subscription to play online.
  • However, the author attempted to play locally with a 2nd player (on 1 switch), and found out the game is unable to go online with that 'user account', as it doesnt have online access.
  • The author tried out the same thing with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and noted that "you can play 2 player on 1 switch online, with just 1 online subscription." But, this has been pointed out that this is offline local multiplayer, which is allowed.
  • The author said it doesn't matter if the 2nd player's account/profile was tied to another Nintendo account.
  • The author made a new guest account and didn't tie it to an account. When choosing that account as the 2nd player for Diablo online, the game forces the author to link it to a Nintendo account (presumably to check for online subscription). If declined linking it, it won't work for online.
  • The author has tried both using a normal character and a seasonal character. There was no difference.
  • The author did specify a player can make seasonal characters with or without Switch Online, but it requires Switch Online to actually play online.

Thoughts? I didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I create one.

from the OT:

Mario Kart co-op online doesn't use two profiles. It uses a main profile and then a guest.

"It's completely different because the other players aren't making use of distinct local profiles with their own progression and such stored completely separately. But that's core to Diablo 3. Each player's characters are stored in that player's profile / saves. The same basic kind of "anonymous guest" can't sensibly be used."

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
So does it require NSO to go online or does it require NSO to play offline local coop? Your title says one thing and the context of your post says the other.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As I posted in the D3 OT, it's the same for any online game that supports more than 1 player on Switch (that doesn't allow Guests). MK and Rocket League uses Guests.
This was known long before the paid Switch Online plans went live, you need all Users to subscribe either individually or via Family Plan to be used online.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I think this was known since the game requires both players to be signed into a switch profile. Mario Kart allows allows a user to use a guest profile that won't save any data, a solution that doesn't make any sense for diablo.

The problem for me is that they don't offer anyway to upgrade a standard Switch online subscription to a family plan. I'd like to play this game with my wife, but I already have a standard subscription. To play online, I would have to basically throw my basic subscription away and purchase a full Family subscription.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
As I posted in the D3 OT, it's the same for any online game that supports more than 1 player on Switch (that doesn't allow Guests). MK and Rocket League uses Guests.
This was known long before the paid Switch Online plans went live, you need all Users to subscribe either individually or via Family Plan to be used online.
I'll update OT. Thanks.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
So does it require NSO to go online or does it require NSO to play offline local coop? Your title says one thing and the context of your post says the other.

Yeah I'm a bit confused too.
Also, how is it for ad-hoc coop with two switches?

This won't be a problem for my wife and I in the near future as we have the family plan for us and the kids, however it is not certain we will keep this forever as the benefits are very low except for the actual online gaming and we usually don't play with other people.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The problem for me is that they don't offer anyway to upgrade a standard Switch online subscription to a family plan. I'd like to play this game with my wife, but I already have a standard subscription. To play online, I would have to basically throw my basic subscription away and purchase a full Family subscription.
Yeah, no native "upgrading" option is a big omission from Nintendo.

Based on the help article it does sound like they might offer some pro-rated refund option or something along those lines if you have "significant time left" on your individual subscription when upgrading.

https://en-americas-support.nintend...nline-membership-type-(individual-or-family)?
If you already have an individual membership and want to upgrade to a family membership, purchase or be added to a family membership.
  • Please note that the remaining time on your individual membership will not be carried over to extend the family membership, so you will have two memberships running concurrently. You will receive whichever is longer - the remaining time on the family membership or the remaining time on your individual membership.
  • If you have a significant amount of time remaining on your individual membership, please contact us for additional options.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Wonder if it is on Blizzards end ... I do think it is fair (probably in the minority) because it is s different character and you are going from couch co-op (which should be free) to online playing with others which is not free. has anyone looked into if on PS4 or XboxOne this is the same case?

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018

Thanks, I didn't realize that. We'll probably just play locally for now and if we ever do feel like going online, I'll try contacting them and seeing what the additional options would be.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was expected and known for a while now. Using two different profiles on the same Switch requires each profile to have an online sub.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I take it the 2nd profile has it own save stats that it can then use online by itself or with another user?

Makes sense

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the entire point of the family plan to allow multiple users to play online? I thought this was a given.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Online coop. I'll request an update to the thread title.

As I understand it, online subscriptions are on a per-account basis rather than a per-machine basis, so on paper it makes total sense. If there are two accounts and one account doesn't have the subscription, the accounts would not be able to play together online because one wouldn't have access to the online portion of the game.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious.

Let's say I want to make a character and play co-op with my girlfriend. Can we just make two characters on my main account and play both of them at the same time online? Can we play seasonnal in co-op?

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, stupid question time.

Let's say I have an online sub on my Switch, and the brother had one on his as well. Can we log in the same account on said second Switch (e.g. he tries to use his profile on my Switch) or is the paid sub stuck on the original Switch?

Sorry if the wordings confusing.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Does this mean you can't even play seasonal characters in local co-op mode offline because an online connection with that character has to have happened at least once?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious.

Let's say I want to make a character and play co-op with my girlfriend. Can we just make two characters on my main account and play both of them at the same time online? Can we play seasonnal in co-op?

As long as you're playing local co-op you should be fine, you just can't play with randoms or friend's online. I think that's how it works.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
The author said it doesn't matter if the 2nd player's account/profile was tied to another Nintendo account.

Is this true? I would expect it to work fine if I'm playing on my Nintendo Online account, and my buddy is playing on their Nintendo Online account (on the same Switch).

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not for online subscriptions. But didnt they make it known that each profile was a separate account. No? Maybe I am misremembering.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but this makes total sense. I wouldn't have thought it would work any other way.

Wow, what turned into a "maybe" has gone to a hard pass because of this.
So you thought it might be possible for two different accounts, to play online with a single person online subscription? (this is not local co-op, we are talking about online)

Oct 29, 2017
Well of course it would, individual game progress is saved per-profile. No other way of doing it and having your progress carry over.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but this makes total sense. I wouldn't have thought it would work any other way.

So you thought it might be possible for two different accounts, to play online with a single person online subscription? (this is not local co-op, we are talking about online)

On PS4 you can play online couch co-op with one ps+ account

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I played 2p online with a friend on his Xbox.

I don't care about progress just playing so why would this affect me in any way?

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the logic. I have to pay extra for my kid to play fortnight, on the same console.

I'm not using any extra resources. It's the same switch. Only one of us can play at a time.

I could understand if he was logging into another switch, that makes sense. But making switch, with local multiplayer being a push, the controllers separating or two people in the same screen and you have to pay more?

Definitely annoying.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

That's how it works on PS4 and Xbox so it's not unreasonable to assume it would work the same on switch.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP, the Reddit post you linked/got your info from was removed due "multiple reports from the community." Just a heads up as I don't use Reddit and so don't know the reason specifically why it was removed (but can still be read, just kicked out of their front page)

That said, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if you need a Family Plan specifically, but each user profile does need to be linked to a Nintendo account with NSO access. I know several Switch games work that way (i.e. a guest account doesn't cut it.) Can you clarify/confirm that a Family Plan is mandatory?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
That's how it works on PS4 and Xbox so it's not unreasonable to assume it would work the same on switch.
That's because the Switch has a different type of cheapest plan.

On PSN, you have the $60 plan. When you have it and the account is set as primary, every other account in the same console can enjoy online too.

On the other hand for Switch, this is similar in the $35 plan but works with the family group, in the same console or a different one. But the Switch also has a cheaper plan, an individual $20 plan that is only for one account, so it's logical that it works the way it currently does.

You just need to be subscribe to NSO in the second player account. Can be thorough a family plan, a individual plan or a whole different family plan that the first player. Yeah, OP is misleading.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The wording here is somewhat confusing, this is just to take both profiles online to grab two more players right?

If my fiancé and I wanted to just play together offline on the same Switch then I won't have a problem, right? If this is just two accounts trying to play online at the same time on the same system than what exactly is the issue here? If you're taking any account online, it needs online access.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The wording here is somewhat confusing, this is just to take both profiles online to grab two more players right?

If my fiancé and I wanted to just play together offline on the same Switch then I won't have a problem, right? If this is just two accounts trying to play online at the same time on the same system than what exactly is the issue here? If you're taking any account online, it needs online access.
The problem seems to be that on every other console as long as one account has online access every other account can connect. On the switch every account has to have online to connect to online. It's not a family plan vs single plan thing it's simply the way that nintendo handles online access. They track it by user only. PS and XB track it by user and console.

How does this work in other consoles? I have only played this game on PC before
On PS4 and XBO if I start playing on my account that has plus/gold my wife can log into her non plus/gold account and play online with me. Plus and gold is shared with other users if you are playing on the same console. Nintendo doesn't share their online by console it's solely tracked by the user.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little confused reading this but if that's local co-op with two people trying to play on one Switch this is bullshit.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
The problem seems to be that on every other console as long as one account has online access every other account can connect. On the switch every account has to have online to connect to online. It's not a family plan vs single plan thing it's simply the way that nintendo handles online access. They track it by user only. PS and XB track it by user and console.

On PS4 and XBO if I start playing on my account that has plus/gold my wife can log into her non plus/gold account and play online with me. Plus and gold is shared with other users if you are playing on the same console. Nintendo doesn't share their online by console it's solely tracked by the user.
The problem with people trying to compare Nintendo's online service to other platforms though is Nintendo have stated that if you want other users on your Switch to have online benefits, you should buy the Family plan. The confusion lies in that Nintendo offer a cheaper single user option, whereas in reality those paying for PSN & Gold are getting the benefit of a family like plan by paying the 1 premium price

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
There maybe an issue with how Nintendo servers see 2 players online since there is 2 player/one console coop, two player/two console local coop, and two player online coop.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah on switch each profile needs their own online subscription, you cant just have a sub for the primary account and have the other profiles use it for online. It doenst require the family plan specifically, but thats what most people would use if playing on the same switch on the same household

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Scrolling through the Reddit post, apparently if the 2nd profile had a sub in the past (ie uses free trial etc) then you can play two characters with just one online sub (so this does seem like a bug). Or at least a work around ? (Have 2nd player do a free trial)

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
delete12345 could you clarify OP? You don't need a family subscription. It's just that the second profile also needs to be subscribed to NSO in some way.