• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
www.pcgamer.com

Blizzard and Nvidia investigating reports Diablo 4 is killing RTX 3080 Ti GPUs

There's also something you can do right now to possibly help protect your graphics card from a similar fate.
The Diablo 4 team are investigating reports of RTX 3080 Ti graphics cards crashing or dying while playing the game's closed beta. Customer support says Blizzard is "working closely with Nvidia to identify affected hardware configurations and gather as many data points as possible to assist in the investigation."

For affected users, the team offers the following advice in a forum thread:

If your card is still not working, try these troubleshooting steps:
  • Conduct a complete power cycle (AC OFF->AC ON) and see if GPU can be detected under Windows.
  • If GPU can be found under Windows, do a clean driver install.

Tip from Saladin to possibly avoid this from happening with steps from PCGamer article included.

How to limit your frame rate within the Nvidia Control Panel

• Open Nvidia Control Panel (right click on desktop)
  • Scroll down to Manage 3D Settings
  • Change Max Frame Rate to On
  • Choose a max frame rate (your monitor's refresh rate will do)
  • Click Apply
  • You may need to restart the game or your entire system for the changes to apply

Tip from exodus if you have a 40xx card with a VRR display and are worried this may effect your GPU.
Everyone with a 40 series card and a VRR display should have the following settings in the NVidia control panel:

Monitor Technology - G-SYNC
Low Latency Mode - Ultra
Vertical Sync - On

You should not use RTSS to cap framerates, as it will break DLSS3.

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i've seen some people talking about high temps during the beta. I have a 3080 (not Ti), i'll try to monitor that during the beta.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking forward to the open beta this weekend, but I'll have to take some steps, it seems.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
If you have a 30XX series card and you want to avoid this from happening, please cap your framerate from Nvidia control panel

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard taking realism to the next level where you have to sacrifice your gpu to the gods to play the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Strange that it would only affect 3080 TI, are they that different than 3080s and 3090s? Or different drivers?

If you have a 30XX series card and you want to avoid this from happening, please cap your framerate from Nvidia control panel

Good to know

Have to figure they fix this by launch, right?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
gut told me just don't mess with the beta/EA stuff (or even launch window). though my 3080 ti would in all likelihood be fine i'm just noping out for now

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're most welcome. I hope this information gets to a lot of people with 30XX series cards
IIRC frame capping also helped alleviate a lot of the issues during the New World killing 3090s fiasco as well. Crazy that it's happening again though after how much of a mess that became.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Like usual, this is just exposing some kind of flaw in the GPU itself, even if you're capping the framerate a non-defective GPU shouldn't die at full load, if it doesn't happen with Diablo 4 it's gonna eventually happen with something else that stresses the GPU.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
IIRC frame capping also helped alleviate a lot of the issues during the New World killing 3090s fiasco as well. Crazy that it's happening again though after how much of a mess that became.
Its absurd how a simple thing can brick a GPU. Good thing we know the temporary fix

wait ... what kind of frame rates we talking frying these things.
Uncapped in general. I played on 120fps last weekend and it was fine
But I have a 2080 Ti. The issue is only with the 30XX series

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Like usual, this is just exposing some kind of flaw in the GPU itself, even if you're capping the framerate a non-defective GPU shouldn't die at full load. If it doesn't happen with Diablo 4 it's gonna eventually happen with something else that stresses the GPU.
That's what I'm wondering. How do all those benchmark apps not blow up these gpus? They allow unlimited frames too.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Well then...guess I won't be downloading this like I planned. Hopefully whatever it is, is fixed soon.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually gonna try it on PC, guess i'll wait.
Last time EVGA explained it was a hardware flaw on their part due to bad soldering, so your GPU might just die on you later down the line when your warranty is up so better to just figure it out now if this is a trigger.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was something extra fucky going on with VRAM and even RAM in general during the D4 beta, the game was an absolute RAM goblin on all fronts. Maybe the 3080 Ti in particular had a bad reaction to the constant memory swapping which it doesn't normally need to do since 12GB is more than enough for basically every game but the D4 beta on High (that ~40GB optional 4k texture pack).

My 3080 10GB would hitch constantly with textures turned to High, even though the Settings recommended 8GB VRAM for High textures.

I also set a max framerate in-game of 117fps (as I usually do for my 120hz monitor) so I didn't experience any out of control framerates at any point.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Last time EVGA explained it was a hardware flaw on their part due to bad soldering, so your GPU might just die on you later down the line when your warranty is up so better to just figure it out now if this is a trigger.

I am using a gaming laptop with a 3050ti tbf so I don't know if this is gonna affect me personally but I also don't wanna risk it since it could be affecting other 30XX cards

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Really? I have a 3080 TI and played all weekend. No problems. Maybe because I usually keep all my games capped at 60.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully didn't have any issues with my 3080, but I did notice it seemed like it ran the card really hot. The fan was way nosier than I've noticed in any other game in recent memory.

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does this affect 3060ti as well?
Seems to be aimed primarily at Gigabyte 3080 Ti's for now but capping your framerate at least during the beta period wouldn't hurt for anyone on 30xx cards. They're still investigating so the scope of hardware affected is a question mark beyond those Gigabyte GPUs.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm. I have a EVGA 3080 card, running my cap to 120. I didn't notice any sort of heat issues or any stuttering. May I'll drop down to 90 to be safe.

Foolish

Jun 23, 2022
Does this affect the 3060ti as well?

Don't know for sure, but I have a 3060ti, capped the game's framerate to 120fps (my monitor's max), and experienced no problems while playing the closed beta a few days ago. I put over a dozen hours into it. Could be I got lucky, could be it's perfectly safe...

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have any issues when I played last weekend with my 3070ti but maybe they're not affected? Regardless, I just uninstalled the beta and not taking any chances. I'll be too busy with RE4 anyway and got my fill of the beta.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Could it be remaining batch of bad GPUs that new world exposed a while ago? Also is it all venders or just specific ones?