• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
As we get closer to the launch of Nintendo Switch Online the first third-part game that will make use of the service has been rebealed: Diablo III - Eternal Collection.

The game will be compatible with:

• Cloud saves
  • Lobbies (through the app)
  • Voice chat (through the app)
For now Splatoon 2 is the only game compatible with the service so we should be hearing of more first and third party games getting updates for the service pretty soon.

Source

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
As long as all of the good shit is tied to the app, this service will continue to be a huge disappointment, imo. Still gonna get it for cloud saves though.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of pathetic that the app has been out for like a year and only one game is compatible with it.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
What worries me is that it seems that developers need to manually update their old games to take advantage of cloud saves. If that's true then say goodbye to making backups of (most of) your current collection.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The app at least needs a proper Lobby system.
Having a separate room for each game like currently in Splatoon is unusable garbage

Dec 23, 2017
I mean it's so hard not to be disappointed in Nintendo on this. It just shows how they can have an amazing console and make a stupid decision that limits how great it can be.

Oct 27, 2017
Really?

That sucks. Why use Nintendo's awful solution? That just makes them think it works.

Disappointing news. App is cool but it should not be only method for switch voice chat

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What worries me is that it seems that developers need to manually update their old games to take advantage of cloud saves. If that's true then say goodbye to making backups of (most of) your current collection.
Wait, seriously? Cloud saves are on a game by game basis, not built into the OS? The Nintendo Difference.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I was really hoping they'd quietly drop it and never bring it up again. Really was starting to look like that too considering Splatoon 2 was the only thing on that mess.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, seriously? Cloud saves are on a game by game basis, not built into the OS? The Nintendo Difference.
We don't know yet. Just like video recording it could be built into the OS but still need an update to be enabled on older games.

And the Nintendo website mentions that only "compatible" games will be able to be backed up.

Last edited:

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Will this be connected to battle.net some how or will we get the similar crap online like on ps4, where everyone hacks?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is this gonna be some weird thing were games only use the Switch paid online service if they support cloud saves, lobbies, etc? So not every game?

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it will also allow to set it up ingame.

Anyway, the big news for me is that the whole game is going to be on one cartridge. That's a gamechanger, really.

Oct 26, 2017
...even systems from 10+ years back allow for most of those features on the system itself. This stuff is fine as an option but, man, I was really hoping that the app would just quietly disappear

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
You know whats makes it hilariously bad? That lobbies are on a per game basis despite being on the same app. Like they could do general group chat but no. Gotta use Diablo's lobby for Diablo, and Splatoon for Splatoon. I just don't get the point of this app. It cant be being used that often to chat with your friends. Whats the point with Discord on our phones?

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Why can Fortnite get away with doing in game voice chat but this and Splatoon have to go through the app?

I want this answer. I'll wait.
Because this is the official solution used by the console, just like the PS4 and XOne use their own lobby systems.

Devs can make their own systems but it's much easier to implement the one Nintendo provides and supports.

Also Nintendo will push devs to use the official system.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

This aspect of their online service is way worse than the app imo. Why not make the cloud saving baked into the system like everybody else? Like, wtf?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Why can Fortnite get away with doing in game voice chat but this and Splatoon have to go through the app?

Epic does what Blizzardon't

Guess Fortnite is enough of a Titan to get special privileges (except with Sony it seems)

Because this is the official solution used by the console, just like the PS4 and XOne use their own lobby systems.

Devs can make their own systems but it's much easier to implement the one Nintendo provides and supports.

Or this. Which makes more sense i guess

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know yet. Just like video recording it could be built into the OS but still needed an update to be enabled on older games.

And the Nintendo website mentions that only "compatible" games will be able to be backed up.
Well, that's just great. Sigh, I'm sure Nintendo will patch their own games, but it's still really shitty.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Fucking eww. Nintendo's online app is fucking garbage. I really hope 3rd parties have an alternative to that pos.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It's sad that breaking into your Switch is the only way of creating backups on any game when Nintendo's method is so anticonsumer. It's so dumb that I can use my free account on Playstation to create save back ups on my USB while Nintendo's alternative is backasswards.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh. Come on Blizzard, don't encourage them. Devs and players really need to refuse the phone app nonsense, or Nintendo's going to end up thinking people like it.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I was really hoping that they would pull the same as epic games and have it built in. I feel like if enough companies do it, it will become the norm. If the big companies succumb to the app, everyone will start using the app.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I was really hoping that they would pull the same as epic games and have it built in. I feel like if enough companies do it, it will become the norm. If the big companies succumb to the app, everyone will start using the app.

Blizzard can spare the effort and know people will still (rightfully) blame nintendo

They're the first but certainly not going to be the last

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I have to use this shitty worthless POS garbage app to talk with my co op buddies in Diablo 3?

FUCK. THAT.

Diablo 3 was going to be a day 1 buy.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I was still holding out hope, for some silly reason, that we could see a firmware update so we could do this stuff with the console alone

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo will be worthless on Switch anyway just like on PS4 because of all the cheaters. I doubt they will be using battle.net servers to store the characters.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I understand Nintendo wants to be unique in every aspect when it comes to their systems but in voice chat case it is just fucking bullshit.

It is inconvenient for me as I use headphones to play games, how the hell I am supposed to hear what the heck are others screaming through my phone?

Apr 21, 2018
Ugh. Come on Blizzard, don't encourage them. Devs and players really need to refuse the phone app nonsense, or Nintendo's going to end up thinking people like it.

Yeah, this.
Surprised Blizzard followed through with this crap and didn't go their own route like Fortnite did.

Hoping the game feature voice chat and lobby's without the app.