Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
https://kotaku.com/diablo-immortal-is-a-simplified-diablo-maybe-too-simpli-1830193187

Some choice quotes:

At first glance, [Diablo Immortal] looks a lot like Diablo III. Similar classes, similar environments, similar art, similar abilities. In the demo I played at BlizzCon, however, much of the resemblance was only skin deep.

[The combat] felt intuitive, if occasionally slow to respond to my inputs. It is, for better or worse, a tried-and-true interface, given that—as some fans have pointed out—it's basically taken straight out of previous games by Chinese publisher NetEase, with whom Blizzard is partnering for Diablo Immortal.

I had access to just four abilities and could not swap them out. There was also no mana or resource system, just skill cooldowns. As a result, some characters felt better than others.

The demo's loot system was also a big step down from those of traditional Diablo games. Loot dropped, and I could equip it with a quick press of a pop-up button without leaving the action. However, doing so did not visually alter my character, and it only contributed to basic attack/defense stats.

In an email, principal designer Wyatt Cheng explained to Kotaku that characters will be limited to five skills (including their main attack) at any given moment, but you'll be able to select them from a group of 12 per class that will unlock "slowly over time." That's still down from the number of abilities each class got in Diablo III, but some customization is better than none.

As for loot, Blizzard and NetEase are still trying to pin down how exactly it'll work. "The loot system is very much a work in progress, which is why inventory is disabled in the demo," said Cheng. "We are still working out the details of how itemization [will] work, but there are a few strong values we have. First, we want there to be some depth for hardcore players. Second, there should be customization (including visual). Third, we want to make sure legendary items allow you to customize your build further with game defining effects."

So there will be a degree of depth to both skills and loot, but maybe not the amount that longtime Diablo fans are used to. If nothing else, Diablo Immortal feels good enough that I can imagine myself contentedly tapping away at it during commutes or while waiting for loading screens in the PC and Switch versions of Diablo III. I'm worried, though, that it might not have much staying power.

Thanks, minimaxir!

Kotaku also has an interview with Wyatt Cheng tomorrow, where more questions will be asked, including microtransaction questions (which is curiously included in all NetEase games), etc.

I personally want to try this out for myself when it releases.

Last edited:

ParksCo2

Oct 31, 2017
I was hoping this was a decent mobile game that could be ported to Switch ... This sounds like a hard pass.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's a cheap money grab that Blizzard couldn't even be bothered to make themselves.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. It's even worse than I thought.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a cheap money grab that Blizzard couldn't even be bothered to make themselves.

Yup that's all it is. Minimal effort and expense put in to try and make a ridiculous amount of money based on psychological hooks.

It is kind of hard to blame them for trying though. The mobile market dug their own graves with this shit years ago and places like China eat this up all day every day. Where Blizz really went wrong was choosing to show this here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Honestly, ignoring the no PC/Console version & Blizzcon backlash, i did think some of it looked fun & finally gave some slight innovation to the Diablo franchise, sliding down the rope & shootings spiders & trying to stay on the rift while demons jump on, D3 has nothing like that. Really a shame it's some F2P mobile game.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really surprised they put this main stage. Sounds like a reskin of the 100s of titles like this with horrible monetisation out on mobile already. You'd think they'd have tried to keep it low key. It'll be huge in certain markets though I'm sure, like the titles it's clearly copying from already are

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I still can't believe they ended the conference on a mobile game not made by them.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Its just so weird, if this were annoincrd through a press release, an announcement trailer on a random day, or heck even just near the top of the presser with a quick splash screen and "we want to bring Diablo to as many as possible" and quickly move on, it wouldn't be the shit show it is right now. Its like when ms teased conker...and then it was actually just a part of project spark or whatever. Like what? The tonedeafness is the problem more than the actual game itself. No one gives a crap that Nintendo put out super Mario run. Heck, their was genuine "yeah sure I'll check it out" mild curiosity. But Nintendo didn't put it as the showpiece at the end of an E3 show. If they had, this is the exact reaction they would have gotten

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
The game is already simple, why simplify it further. Disappointed they removed mana for timed cool downs for skills.

Interesting they are still figuring out loot, I mean the only challenge should be how to make it compelling for people to kee loot hunting.

The Orz

Dec 5, 2017
It's so strange to see Blizzard outsourcing. After Lord of the Clans, they took on the mantra of Acquire and Assimilate when it came to developing games outside of their comfort zone. Then again, that was a very different Blizzard.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Man, this game will probably still be successful enough for them but I really wish it was something bigger and better .

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Eh.. I mean, I'll still give it a try. Actually, I have no idea if this is free to play. Was it stated?

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
No visual changes in gear. Hmmmmmmmm They will definitely sell different visual looks for your character. This is gonna suck hard!

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I found most surprising was that so much of it didnt seem to be nailed down. For some reason I got the impression this was further along in development.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The trailer looked kinda cool, but reading this just makes me feel better about picking the game up again for Switch. This is definitely not a series that needs more simplification, as others have already said.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
And as per their Q&A on another website, they said that "die-hard pc diablo fans" are the primary target with this. It's a joke.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
A simplified version of Diablo 3.

Simplified Diablo 3.

giphy.gif

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
No visual changes in gear. Hmmmmmmmm They will definitely sell different visual looks for your character. This is gonna suck hard!

Umm no visual change in loot? like what?

So they can charge for skins obviously.

It's literally bolded in the OP:

"As for loot, Blizzard and NetEase are still trying to pin down how exactly it'll work. "The loot system is very much a work in progress, which is why inventory is disabled in the demo," said Cheng. "We are still working out the details of how itemization [will] work, but there are a few strong values we have. First, we want there to be some depth for hardcore players. Second, there should be customization (including visual). Third, we want to make sure legendary items allow you to customize your build further with game defining effects.""

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017

"As for loot, Blizzard and NetEase are still trying to pin down how exactly it'll work. "The loot system is very much a work in progress, which is why inventory is disabled in the demo," said Cheng. "We are still working out the details of how itemization [will] work, but there are a few strong values we have. First, we want there to be some depth for hardcore players. Second, there should be customization (including visual). Third, we want to make sure legendary items allow you to customize your build further with game defining effects."
So MTX like everybody fears.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

"As for loot, Blizzard and NetEase are still trying to pin down how exactly it'll work. "The loot system is very much a work in progress, which is why inventory is disabled in the demo," said Cheng. "We are still working out the details of how itemization [will] work, but there are a few strong values we have. First, we want there to be some depth for hardcore players. Second, there should be customization (including visual). Third, we want to make sure legendary items allow you to customize your build further with game defining effects."
I don't see how that quote disagrees with my comment, they don't say anything about customization other than that it will exist in some form.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
No visual changes in loot

Outsourced... not even designed internally

Looks and plays like a clone of titles the outsourced company already makes

Shallow sounding game play

Sounding like its hitting all the marks it was feared to. Still to early and to disrespectful to criticize it?

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
People in the Diablo 2 community (yes, 2) have been saying forever that we shouldn't get our hopes up about an announcement and that it's probably going to be even worse than we imagined.

Boy was that correct.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Cancel Diablo: Immortal tonight.

End BlizzCon tomorrow with the announcement that StarCraft: Ghost is being revived on PS4 and Xbox One and confirm Diablo 4 is in the works.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Admittedly I never spent that much time with Diablo 3 (which is odd, considering I spent thousands of hours on D2), but how much simpler could it possibly be? I felt like I was on autopilot the entire time.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 3 was simple enough already. They just outsourced this to a company that was already making mobile clones for the Asian market and even then it doesn't seem like it's far along, or the demo itself is completely barebones and underwhelming. Then sold it as their big announcement.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game ends up having features like "auto play" (literally the game will play itself, usually on a "ticket" basis which you can acquire with real $) or even put certain equipment or skills behind a paywall, i.e. buy this fairy outfit for the Mage to access the fairy dust ultimate skill, etc.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how visual loot representation isn't the FIRST thing you figure out for this. I bet it will just be full armor set skins that you have to farm for 6 months for or buy for 10 bucks real cash. No individual armor pieces.