• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Diablo IV announced

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Just from what they've shown, it seems pretty far along for something that's four years away.
They showed a HUGE world map and said the small portion they showed was all that they had and what seemed to be like an extremely barebones item system. I'd say they got the tech in place to make the game, now they just gotta build it. I'd be shocked if it came out in anything less than 2 years.

DvdGzz

Mar 21, 2018
So, I hope Lost Ark and now PoE 2 will force Blizzard to put more people on the team to get this out faster. I don't want a rushed product of course but if 145 guys can pump out PoE 2 a year from now, I don't see why a company with thousands can't finish D4 by May 2021.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
So, I hope Lost Ark and now PoE 2 will force Blizzard to put more people on the team to get this out faster. I don't want a rushed product of course but if 145 guys can pump out PoE 2 a year from now, I don't see why a company with thousands can't finish D4 by May 2021.
Because 9 women can't make a baby in a month. It's game development, building something from the ground up just takes a lot of time and you can't simply speed the process up by putting hundreds of people on it.

Those PoE devs have put 10+ years of development into this thing in order to create stuff as quickly as possible, they have all the shit in place for them. Blizzard would've been able to deliver more stuff quickly if they would've made another D3 expansion, but I'd guess they knew that D3 was fundamentally flawed and wasn't truly fixable even with another expansion cause you'd have had to re-do a lot of the core, which wasn't really possible. That's why it's pretty baffling that they're still apparently moving forward with some of those flawed D3 aspects like the bullshit itemization, especially since they're basically out there saying they want to make another D2.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I think the bigger problem is that Blizzard isn't innovating big, they're innovating small with D4. They're changing certain systems in small'ish ways and change how certain numbers work, etc., but they I think they'd need to radically re-think how Top Down ARPGs should work. Click and Point combat systems don't really make sense in todays time, a lot of the cool conceptual ideas they had for D3 were never realized and also apparently aren't on the table for D4 and I think the world state event stuff (which is one of the bigger innovations) isn't really all that exciting for Diablo fans.

I think Mosqueira got it, he understood that in order for this thing to keep going, some big changes needed to happen... and he got whacked for thinking outside the box.
They're not innovating at all in terms of core gameplay. They've clearly stepped backwards from any complexity in that regard. I agree the few new changes, the ingame "social areas" are mild and unimpressive at best.

So they've simplified the game systems, like most modern RPG companies have, and are designing some social media flavored features. Clearly they're aiming for mass appeal. What they have is not interesting to "core" gamers, RPG fans, or longtime Diablo fans. And given how tepid the social systems are it probably won't have much staying power with the general public, beyond being flavor of the week on Twitch.

Of course, they have 2-3 years to design more systems and content, so maybe they'll turn it around. But as a first showing, it's not impressive. Then again, maybe that's the point after a year of bad Blizzard PR: it exists simply to say "forget that other stuff; Diablo 4 exists and we're working on it."

Anarkin

Oct 27, 2017
They showed a HUGE world map and said the small portion they showed was all that they had and what seemed to be like an extremely barebones item system. I'd say they got the tech in place to make the game, now they just gotta build it. I'd be shocked if it came out in anything less than 2 years.
The guy who leaked pretty much everything before Blizzcon said they aim for late 2020 or early 2021.

Right now the goal is to get the game ready playable demo for Blizzcon's 2019 and of course all the marketing material as well. After that, it will be preparing for the beta in 2020 and then the release.
Release is being debated between late 2020 or early 2021 depending on how things go, but as of now it seems early 2021 is more likely. Will be coming to PC PlayStation 5 and Project Scarlett.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Just from what they've shown, it seems pretty far along for something that's four years away.
I would have laughed at anyone who would have suggested Starcraft 2 is still 3 years off after playing it shortly after its unveiling. If things haven't changed this past year, that is kinda how Blizzard works.

Diablo 4 seems in a similar state. More a very polished proof of concept than an actual game.

DvdGzz

Mar 21, 2018
Because 9 women can't make a baby in a month. It's game development, building something from the ground up just takes a lot of time and you can't simply speed the process up by putting hundreds of people on it.

Those PoE devs have put 10+ years of development into this thing in order to create stuff as quickly as possible, they have all the shit in place for them. Blizzard would've been able to deliver more stuff quickly if they would've made another D3 expansion, but I'd guess they knew that D3 was fundamentally flawed and wasn't truly fixable even with another expansion cause you'd have had to re-do a lot of the core, which wasn't really possible. That's why it's pretty baffling that they're still apparently moving forward with some of those flawed D3 aspects like the bullshit itemization, especially since they're basically out there saying they want to make another D2.
Thanks for the insight.

HexedHavoc

May 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I finally got round to recording my video with some of my ideas for Diablo 4. I go over several ideas and some of them even offer solutions to some of the stuff you guys have been talking about :)

Let me know what you guys think (plz excuse the run time, I could talk about this stuff for hours so getting it down to 40 minutes I can accept :P)

Last edited: