• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It also makes it that so you aren't punished by RNG if you can't find the uniques to make your build work.

Only benefit for me, but better solved by rerolling items In the cube using dismantled items which in turn gives them value.

Actually think the current bind on 1 trade is good and hope they keep it, could even have an in game interface were you post that item and others offer their own bind on 1 trade items, you accept or keep waiting while using the item nonstop.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something I noticed during the world & lore panel; they showed some footage where the lighting was closer to D2, with light emanating from the main character (casting dynamic shadows and all) and a dark vignette around that. I really hope they didn't remove the effect, it looks good imo and they should make it toggle-able.

DRCymXW7_o.png
In the demo you can see monsters and so on casting shadows away from you like you're a lightsource. So for now I think it's in.

Btw can I watch the lore and world panel anywhere?

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Reading reddit, heaps want open trading to return.... which is the one thing I can't stand. It leads to external real money abuse and time spent in trade chat and not playing the game! Am I wrong?

I love open trading I want it to return. I don't think worrying about external real money abuse should really be an issue. You can sell boosted Diablo 3 accounts and League of Legends accounts with impossible to get microtransactions. If someone wants to buy something with money they are always gonna find a way to do it.

In terms of time spent in trade chat versus playing that should be on you. The game should allow you to play the game beginning to end without engaging with trade if you don't want to. Path of Exile for instance has a mode that's specifically dedicated to this (Solo Self Found mode it's called.)

The possibilities that trade open up are amazing. My items and more importantly my time always has value because I can always trade the items I find and don't want or my own items I no longer need. If you don't want to engage with trade you shouldn't have to and a good game should allow you to play how you want to play.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Reading reddit, heaps want open trading to return.... which is the one thing I can't stand. It leads to external real money abuse and time spent in trade chat and not playing the game! Am I wrong?

I see where you're coming from, but I'd rather have open trading. The fact is for a lot of people using trade chat and trading is playing the game. It shouldn't be a requirement to engage in trading, but I absolutely think it needs to be there. An economy adds longevity to the game by adding a whole new layer for interested players to explore. There's a certain joy as an active trader when you get an amazing drop that you can't use, but you know it's valuable and can be traded for items you need, or currency to get items you need. With seasons coming from the very start they'll be able to continually curb inflation by resetting the economy every season.

The real money transaction side is an unfortunate side effect. No matter what Blizzard do, whether it be limiting trading or having absolutely free trading there will still be people spending their 'Forum Gold' or using other real money sites to buy things in the game. The question is how much do they want to limit people who don't engage in that activity?

Ideally they'll offer Solo Self Found seasons that bar all trading, and offer regular open trading seasons for others. It doesn't seem like that's the plan right now though.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Since Barbarian, Sorcerer/Sorceress, and Druid are the confirmed classes for Diablo IV, what will be the remaining two that will (eventually) be revealed?

My money is the Paladin/Crusader and Amazon class, given the overarching theme of this game being a love letter to Diablo II in every shape and form.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Since Barbarian, Sorcerer/Sorceress, and Druid are the confirmed classes for Diablo IV, what will be the remaining two that will (eventually) be revealed?

My money is the Paladin/Crusader and Amazon class, given the overarching theme of this game being a love letter to Diablo II in every shape and form.

I think Amazon + either Assassin or Paladin. I think Necro is def out because they just released him as D3s swan song basically

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely had a blast playing as witch doctor in 3. I really hope they bring him back and it would be cool to see his design in the darker tone.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Stupidly excited. Consumed all streams and watched a ton of videos. And I wouldn't worry a lot about minor specific issues, game is still far off and most things are subject to change.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Watching this currently. Really like these two guys. Just got to the point at around 45 minutes where they're talking about runes, and they're running through how the current runeword system could be cool if you have a 6 socket item. Then chat tells them that the devs have confirmed it's currently only a 2 socket system, and Llama immediate goes "okay well...we're gonna talk with them" lol
Yeah, and he was saying that this game is at least 2 years away in the beginning -- he obviously doesn't know that, but that's the impression he got from the devs when he spoke with them. So, tons of time to iterate and make changes based on feedback.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think Amazon + either Assassin or Paladin. I think Necro is def out because they just released him as D3s swan song basically

And with regards to Diablo IV's focus on character creation, they can take reference to the real-life Gargareans for the male variant (I can't see them making the Amazon a female-only class, but I could be wrong).

And I agree about the Necromancer not returning. At least for the base roster. I'm unsure about the Witch Doctor class from DIII, as I personally never played that role when I was heavily invested in that game.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I see where you're coming from, but I'd rather have open trading. The fact is for a lot of people using trade chat and trading is playing the game. It shouldn't be a requirement to engage in trading, but I absolutely think it needs to be there. An economy adds longevity to the game by adding a whole new layer for interested players to explore. There's a certain joy as an active trader when you get an amazing drop that you can't use, but you know it's valuable and can be traded for items you need, or currency to get items you need. With seasons coming from the very start they'll be able to continually curb inflation by resetting the economy every season.

The real money transaction side is an unfortunate side effect. No matter what Blizzard do, whether it be limiting trading or having absolutely free trading there will still be people spending their 'Forum Gold' or using other real money sites to buy things in the game. The question is how much do they want to limit people who don't engage in that activity?

Ideally they'll offer Solo Self Found seasons that bar all trading, and offer regular open trading seasons for others. It doesn't seem like that's the plan right now though.

i don't want to sound awful, but maybe those types of players shouldn't be catered to?

If you enjoy Trading there's always PoE, which has a deeper, more complex and sophisticated economy than Diablo 4 will ever have or even attempt to have.

I don't think Diablo3 was well served by its auction house. I don't think Diablo 2 was made better than the SoJ market. I think given that every other ARPG has a tradition market blizzard can afford to not have one here.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
And with regards to Diablo IV's focus on character creation, they can take reference to the real-life Gargareans for the male variant (I can't see them making the Amazon a female-only class, but I could be wrong).

And I agree about the Necromancer not returning. At least for the base roster. I'm unsure about the Witch Doctor class from DIII, as I personally never played that role when I was heavily invested in that game.

The male Amazon can only be Ganondorf.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't want to sound awful, but maybe those types of players shouldn't be catered to?

If you enjoy Trading there's always PoE, which has a deeper, more complex and sophisticated economy than Diablo 4 will ever have or even attempt to have.

I don't think Diablo3 was well served by its auction house. I don't think Diablo 2 was made better than the SoJ market. I think given that every other ARPG has a tradition market blizzard can afford to not have one here.

Maybe there's a reason every other ARPG has a traditional market with player trading?

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope trading is very limited, if it exists at all. Imo trading only hurts the base gameplay loop in an A-RPG. It is the one big issue I have with PoE.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there's a reason every other ARPG has a traditional market with player trading?
Yup, at this point having a thriving economy that stimulates player interaction and item trading is basically best practice for an ARPG. People that hate it so much can simply not participate and treat the game like a solo RPG, which it sounds like the developers will support quite a bit.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

I can't see any real reason why they shouldn't try to cater to players who want to trade? For people who don't want to trade, there's the option to just play the game and not play the economy.

Just because other games offer it (the examples cited having great longevity in part due to trading) doesn't mean Blizzard shouldn't. I would hope they could actually improve on areas where your two examples falter. Path of Exile has a pretty clunky system for searching and advertising items. Diablo 2 had a useless currency that caused players to make outside currency on forums or use specific items as a baseline of value.

I think there's room for improvement, and that an item economy leads to a healthy game that thrives long term.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Honestly, some of the best content in D2 was the post content they added. The Pandemonium Event is fucking cool, and I'd love for that to return. Same with Diablo clone events -- even though this was really just an event to get people to trade their duped soj's -- but it was still cool when it happened in your game.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Either Paladin or Amazon is a lock, but I don't think we will get both. Being a love letter is cool and all, but having D2 classes exclusively is something I doubt they'd do.

My guess is something completely new like the Witch Doc in D3.

I'd love to see Witch Doc as DLC/Expansion material though. He would really shine in the new artstyle.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Either Paladin or Amazon is a lock, but I don't think we will get both. Being a love letter is cool and all, but having D2 classes exclusively is something I doubt they'd do.

My guess is something completely new like the Witch Doc in D3.

I'd love to see Witch Doc as DLC/Expansion material though. He would really shine in the new artstyle.
I want a new class but what archetypes are solid enough

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Expecting the last two classes to be a shield focused class, and a ranged physical (bow) class to round out the classic archetypes. So Paladin and Rogue (or possibly Amazon) to give us another D2 throwback, and a D1 throwback.

The issue I have with adding the Amazon at launch is that her most iconic melee skills are all lightning based. With the Sorceress and Druid we're already at two of five classes that lean into lightning. The Rogue could use bows and traps to vary up the playstyle with the Amazon being added later once the roster size is spread more.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, they said that some class skills may appear as a proc on legendaries. The Blizzcon demo had a ring that summoned hydras, which belong to the Sorc.

But there was also an amulet that spawned Lightning Traps..

Assassin.gif

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want a new class but what archetypes are solid enough
Good question.

It would be weird of them to do a summoning class when they already have WD and Necro. Wouldn't make any sense to invent a third class for the archetype but...

Maybe some kind of Warlock that has demonic powers, which would fit well into the "heaven is closed" theme and everything going to shit. Like maybe getting Necro's Iron Maiden and other debuffs/curses like that, green fire magic that does damage over time and stuff like that, summoning some demons..

Or maybe a vampire with bloodmagic and shit? I dunno lol.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, they said that some class skills may appear as a proc on legendaries. The Blizzcon demo had a ring that summoned hydras, which belong to the Sorc.

But there was also an amulet that spawned Lightning Traps..

Assassin.gif
Hmmm it's possible. But that lightning trap doesn't have to be based on a class.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Good question.

It would be weird of them to do a summoning class when they already have WD and Necro. Wouldn't make any sense to invent a third class for the archetype but...

Maybe some kind of Warlock that has demonic powers, which would fit well into the "heaven is closed" theme and everything going to shit. Like maybe getting Necro's Iron Maiden and other debuffs/curses like that, green fire magic that does damage over time and stuff like that, summoning some demons..

Or maybe a vampire with bloodmagic and shit? I dunno lol.
I don't see them doing vampire, warlock is a possibility I suppose. A psionic class could be cool but it sort of overlaps with monk, maybe some sort of evil knight?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see them doing vampire, warlock is a possibility I suppose. A psionic class could be cool but it sort of overlaps with monk, maybe some sort of evil knight?
Corrupted Paladins? (War 3 callback!)
Yeah evil knight/corrupted paladin would work and would fit well with the theme of the game.
Something like this maybe, visually speaking.
b57646f88f9170a8c8bddf65fe4336d7.jpg
6aa51bcc0c5d85cbe621558b5c1a5030.png

Auras and curses galore. Now I need this.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have always wanted Demonologist as a class. Shadow and fire magic, summoning demons, and becoming them. But it overlaps nearly one to one with the druid, so I don't see it happening in a game where druid is confirmed.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
David Kim on Rhykker's stream says they've developed for years and the demo is all they have done. They are either going to make the launch map smaller, or this game has 5+ years till release.

Hurry up Lost Ark and hopefully, PoE 4.0 plays a lot better to hold me over.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
This announcement made me download D2 + Median XL again, lmao, playing as Amazon now :p

Also, unpopular opinion: I kinda liked Auction House from D3, wouldn't mind a system like that on D4, too bad they already denied AH on D4 iirc

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want to engage with trade you shouldn't have to and a good game should allow you to play how you want to play.
Well both D2 and POE you have to to be competitive, so this will need a new system. Currently it's bind on 1 trade which solves it to me and I would actually engage with, also covers all your points about the benefits that I can see, hope they keep it.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
This announcement made me download D2 + Median XL again, lmao, playing as Amazon now :p

Also, unpopular opinion: I kinda liked Auction House from D3, wouldn't mind a system like that on D4, too bad they already denied AH on D4 iirc
Same, I liked the gold auction house. IMO if they fixed the drop rate so that players can farm and target items without necessarily need to buy from AH, sort out all the bugs and potential exploits, and taking out the real money AH, it could have worked. Instead, they went the lazy route and remove all forms of trading post RoS to "solve" the problem.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed wildlands by choosing to play my own way.

You could just play the game like just cause or the mercenaries and just crash land a helicopter in the center of an outpost and go guns blazing. It would make the game seem goofy as hell.

But I always preferred a more methodical and "realistic " approach. I would land relatively far off the objective and sneak up on foot and take my time.

As long as I can make the game my own better experience, I'll pick it up.
I dont care about microtransactions because I wont use them.
I really wouldn't be surprised if they kept Amazon gender-locked, not sure why they would be hesitant either.

Funny, I was thinking yesterday that Amazon class should be gender locked. Maybe with equal number of female only variations.

I think Amazon as a class would be a perfect fit for Diablo 4. There is even jungle region in the game.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I am and have always been in the anti trade and AH camp. It's not a form of gameplay that I enjoy or want to partake in. So what about just ignoring it? My concern is that the game will ultimately need to be tuned around its existence.

If drops are set at just the right rate for a non trade experience and trade is introduced suddenly players will be able to gear up and get through content much quicker than intended. Alternatively if drops are adjusted for trade then playing as a non trader suddenly becomes a less than ideal experience.

edit- Of course I would always be open to some middle ground solutions such as an item that gives a large boost to MF but every drop you get while wearing it is account bound. As long as non trading is a viable way to progress on a relatively even playing field (especially now with PvP being a thing) I wouldn't care too much either way.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah evil knight/corrupted paladin would work and would fit well with the theme of the game.
Something like this maybe, visually speaking.

Auras and curses galore. Now I need this.
I dunno, i don't think basically Death Knights really exist in Diablo & if they somewhat do, they are probably on Hell's side, like Oblivion/Doom Knights are. They probably really don't want to draw any comparisons to WoW anymore, I don't think we will see the Demon Hunter back for this reason too even though it's different from the WoW version.
Funny, I was thinking yesterday that Amazon class should be gender locked. Maybe with equal number of female only variations.

I think Amazon as a class would be a perfect fit for Diablo 4. There is even jungle region in the game.
I think Amazon will get in whenever they add Skovos, Blizzard like to add islands in expansion packs, it's their cliche. Amazon being female only shouldn't be an issue either i hope.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

My money is on the Paladin, which covers off the support style the Monk delivered previously.
And the Assassin which is the Demon Hunter analogue, but with a the combo system returning again.

I don't think the Amazon will return as they did say all classes will be gender equal this time with full racial customisation.

DLC they will likely bring back the Necromancer or possibly anew variant of a Summoner style class.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Nope, you aren't alone. Loot, on these games, is supposed to be found by the player, that's the whole point. Trading a legendary item from a friend or even worse a shady 3rd party company, is not the right way and will never match the feeling of finding the item yourself. I too dislike trading and was happy it wasn't on d3. I don't feel d3 suffered in any degree due to the lack of trading.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone getting excited - please remember how much Diablo 3 has changed since first reveal to actual release. How much content was cut because it didn't work how they planned. We may end up without runes, without PvP or without world bosses :P

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they increase the base difficulty. D3:RoS Normal was so easy it was impossible to die. Hard wasn't hard enough either.

I want the D2 days back where a lightning enchanted enemy meant run 'n hit all the way back to the map. Playing D3 on normal was a huge mistake.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope they increase the base difficulty. D3:RoS Normal was so easy it was impossible to die. Hard wasn't hard enough either.

I want the D2 days back where a lightning enchanted enemy meant run 'n hit all the way back to the map. Playing D3 on normal was a huge mistake.
Normal really was for players who are new to ARPGs. Anyone else bumped that up to Hard and beyond within minutes, depending on class/previous gear of course.

I do miss the old days of lightning enchanted stuff but instead we got Lazer beam spewing teleport jailer jerks. Far more annoying if they catch you out.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand this anti-trade sentiment being expressed by people right now. Trading was integral to the longevity and social interaction in Diablo 2/LoD just as it is in PoE. It's why these games have an active player base to this day while Diablo 3 is essentially a dead game. While we are at it, I hate loot 3.0 or whatever that catered 99% of the drops to class you are playing (this was a band-aid fix because they removed trading). You should be able to go through the game and beat it without interacting with anyone just like Diablo 2/LoD and PoE but if you want to get BiS items there should be some level of challenge to get to it. I played Diablo 3 like 2 years ago when the Necromancer came out and I am pretty sure I was pushing high level GRs in a week, this is boring game design and there was no incentive to ever interact with anyone which felt like I was playing a single-player game.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Just read the impressions on Eurogamer and I'm going to have to hard pass this game.

Always online?! That's a hard pass from me. Not every game needs to be an always online experience. I'm okay with the open world aspect, but at least give me the choice if I want to go online and play with other people or not. This just tells me that they want to turn the game into a live service cash cow.

Diablo 3 is a big game in my house. Our internet is shit as we live in the sticks, so it's great that myself, my son and my wife can jump in and play some local Diablo 3 co-op and slay demons as a family. Shame that we now won't be getting the fourth game.

I understand that I may be in a minority here, but I just wanted to vent my two cents.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Just read the impressions on Eurogamer and I'm going to have to hard pass this game.

Always online?! That's a hard pass from me. Not every game needs to be an always online experience. I'm okay with the open world aspect, but at least give me the choice if I want to go online and play with other people or not. This just tells me that they want to turn the game into a live service cash cow.

Diablo 3 is a big game in my house. Our internet is shit as we live in the sticks, so it's great that myself, my son and my wife can jump in and play some local Diablo 3 co-op and slay demons as a family. Shame that we now won't be getting the fourth game.

I understand that I may be in a minority here, but I just wanted to vent my two cents.

As the games becomes more reliant on things like cloud computing, always online games are going to become the norm.

Diablo 3 is always online on PC, they only changed that for the console versions. My method of playing Diablo 2 in 2000 was on always online Battle.net mode.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
As the games becomes more reliant on things like cloud computing, always online games are going to become the norm.

Diablo 3 is always online on PC, they only changed that for the console versions. My method of playing Diablo 2 in 2000 was on always online Battle.net mode.

Where is it stated that D4 is reliant on cloud computing? I also disagree that this will be the norm in the future. Why would a single player story driven game need to be always online?

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017

I feel ya. Silver lining is that by the time D4 finally releases (years from now) there might be a faster connection available.