• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Diablo games are not single player story driven games. They have some story and they can be played solo, but thats not their main design.

I wasn't talking about Diablo there. I was replying to a comment about the future of gaming being online only because games in the future will use more of the "cloud".

I would say however, that you can play Diablo as a single player story experience.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
The option would be nice, especially if my internet service goes kaput.

Like, there really isn't any reason WHY they shouldn't have that there as a choice.
I'm not opposed against something like D2 implementation (seperate offline and online modes), i would actually like that, but that ship has sailed with D3 launch.

--
I wasn't talking about Diablo there. I was replying to a comment about the future of gaming being online only because games in the future will use more of the "cloud".

I would say however, that you can play Diablo as a single player story experience.
Games that will be using cloud computing wont be singleplayer story games, but games with some multiplayer component and he was right.
You can play Diablo as SP Story experience as you can play The Old Republic, Warframe or Destiny, but they are still games designed for multiplayer with solo mode.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I do miss the old days of lightning enchanted stuff but instead we got Lazer beam spewing teleport jailer jerks. Far more annoying if they catch you out.
It's really not, especially when they move like snails.

D2 had that surprise factor where an extra fast elite could ambush you and surround you in seconds because it gives its minions extra fast too. Or when you notice the Conviction aura too late and your resistances plummet into the negatives. Or when your teammates kill exploding stygian dolls from a distance killing you in the process. Molten's timer in D3 is a joke by comparison.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I hope they increase the base difficulty. D3:RoS Normal was so easy it was impossible to die. Hard wasn't hard enough either.
True, but you weren't supposed to stay on Normal or Hard difficulty long.

I mean, you did in vanilla, where it was much more like other games and you had to pick a difficulty level and stick with it. They changed that in RoS and tied difficulty to your level and especially gear. Level 1 and naked > Normal. Level 5 and a few blues > Hard. Level 10-15 and all yellows > Expert. One or two legendaries (weapons in particular) > Master.

So in practice, once you got those yellows, there was no reason to play on Normal or Hard. Much like there's no reason to stay on Torment I once you have a full set and are able to tackle Torment VI+.

There's a reason the game, outside the seasonal journey, allows you to go increase or decrease difficulty level mid-gameplay.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
my god i can't wait for Amazon confirmation... as i get older i tend to like to play archers more and more.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have to admit , The Druid gameplay was pretty nice.

I like the implication from the gameplay that there's a reason to shift in and out of the animal forms, rather than just attempting to be in them for as long as possible. I'm hoping that's the actual plan, and not just because they wanted to show multiple forms in those scenes.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
True, but you weren't supposed to stay on Normal or Hard difficulty long.

I mean, you did in vanilla, where it was much more like other games and you had to pick a difficulty level and stick with it. They changed that in RoS and tied difficulty to your level and especially gear. Level 1 and naked > Normal. Level 5 and a few blues > Hard. Level 10-15 and all yellows > Expert. One or two legendaries (weapons in particular) > Master.

So in practice, once you got those yellows, there was no reason to play on Normal or Hard. Much like there's no reason to stay on Torment I once you have a full set and are able to tackle Torment VI+.

There's a reason the game, outside the seasonal journey, allows you to go increase or decrease difficulty level mid-gameplay.

I kind of hated this, though. There doesn't need to be a bazillion levels of difficulty. It was ridiculous.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Liked a lot of what was shown, but at the same time the world looked super drab. I won't miss the WoW aesthetic from D3, but I hope other areas in the game diversify the color pallet to more than just looking like it's last gen's green/gray/brown everywhere aesthetic. Also, they kept saying in the stream that the game takes a more "open world" approach, but in the areas they were allowed to travel, it was even more linear than D3. All they did was run through tunnel after tunnel after tunnel, and even the "open" areas were just a tunnel surrounded by scenery.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I kind of hated this, though. There doesn't need to be a bazillion levels of difficulty. It was ridiculous.
It doesn't bother me, but it could definitely be streamlined. What level are we now? Torment 16? I feel we could easily do with half of that.

I mean, you start the endgame grind at T1 and stay there until you unlock your first set bonus. That allows you to immediately jump to T3. Once you get the second set bonus > T5. So what are T2 and T4 even doing there anymore?

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing mindblowing, but I got my copy of the art book today, and this image is in fact listed as "Andariel key art" as most were guessing.

While not a direct confirmation that she'll be in the game, it is pretty likely considering we are already getting/have seen Duriel.

ZPt5X7U.jpg

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing mindblowing, but I got my copy of the art book today, and this image is in fact listed as "Andariel key art" as most were guessing.

While not a direct confirmation that she'll be in the game, it is pretty likely considering we are already getting/have seen Duriel.

ZPt5X7U.jpg
There was more about her in the art panel they did

Deleted member 1190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was more about her in the art panel they did

Thanks for the heads up, as that was one of the panels I missed. Just went and found it after reading this, and they flat out confirm her returning "in a big way." Awesome!

You can see him in the gameplay trailer. And there are official screens of him. They also talked about him in the world and lore panel. They're letting us see his Lord of Maggots side more, and he has a stomach mouth that he drags you into with one of his attacks.

Edit: screen for reference. There was more on him in the panels.
3599237-combat_caves_multiplayer_duriel_png_jpgcopy.jpg

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Also I would imagine that confirms that all the Prime evils are "alive" in some capacity. Duriel and Andariel had their souls locked up in the black soulstone same as the three primes (and the other two scrubs from D3).

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thanks for the heads up, as that was one of the panels I missed. Just went and found it after reading this, and they flat out confirm her returning "in a big way." Awesome!

You can see him in the gameplay trailer. And there are official screens of him. They also talked about him in the world and lore panel. They're letting us see his Lord of Maggots side more, and he has a stomach mouth that he drags you into with one of his attacks.

Edit: screen for reference. There was more on him in the panels.
3599237-combat_caves_multiplayer_duriel_png_jpgcopy.jpg
Holy shit I didn't realize that was him, I just thought it was a similar demon.

For the record I didn't watch any panels or streams either.

Deleted member 1190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I would imagine that confirms that all the Prime evils are "alive" in some capacity. Duriel and Andariel had their souls locked up in the black soulstone same as the three primes (and the other two scrubs from D3).

They confirmed this to be the case in the world and lore panel. They're out there, and they described Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal as a "hurricane on the horizon" but Lilith is the problem right in front of us. So I'm guessing they'll be expansion material or something.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like the implication from the gameplay that there's a reason to shift in and out of the animal forms, rather than just attempting to be in them for as long as possible. I'm hoping that's the actual plan, and not just because they wanted to show multiple forms in those scenes.
My guess is they are doing both. We already saw a legendary item that benefitted as many form changes as possible, but since they also said people should be able to focus on one form if they like, there'll probably also be legendaries rewarding staying in one form for longer. Personally I'd like to just change between Werebear and Wolf for example. Don't care too much about the magic stuff, I got Sorceress for that.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
They confirmed this to be the case in the world and lore panel. They're out there, and they described Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal as a "hurricane on the horizon" but Lilith is the problem right in front of us. So I'm guessing they'll be expansion material or something.
Yes they confirmed that the prime old were able to separate and are around
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This sounds like a dream sequel for fans of the lore.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is they are doing both. We already saw a legendary item that benefitted as many form changes as possible, but since they also said people should be able to focus on one form if they like, there'll probably also be legendaries rewarding staying in one form for longer. Personally I'd like to just change between Werebear and Wolf for example. Don't care too much about the magic stuff, I got Sorceress for that.

They showed that talent where after casting one of the nature-y Druid spells, your shift forms get lightning damage added to their attacks for x seconds. That kind of thing is pretty cool.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They showed that talent where after casting one of the nature-y Druid spells, your shift forms get lightning damage added to their attacks for x seconds. That kind of thing is pretty cool.
Yep, and the legendary item shocked one enemy around you whenever you changed forms.
The signs for interesting builds is definetly there.

Liked a lot of what was shown, but at the same time the world looked super drab. I won't miss the WoW aesthetic from D3, but I hope other areas in the game diversify the color pallet to more than just looking like it's last gen's green/gray/brown everywhere aesthetic. Also, they kept saying in the stream that the game takes a more "open world" approach, but in the areas they were allowed to travel, it was even more linear than D3. All they did was run through tunnel after tunnel after tunnel, and even the "open" areas were just a tunnel surrounded by scenery.
It's pretty much open world though? That excludes dungeons of course, but everything else is super open. There are paths, but you can just go off from them and go wherever you want.

Nothing shown there was more linear than 3 lol.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and the legendary item shocked one enemy around you whenever you changed forms.
The signs for interesting builds is definetly there.

It's pretty much open world though? That excludes dungeons of course, but everything else is super open. There are paths, but you can just go off from them and go wherever you want.

Nothing shown there was more linear than 3 lol.

We must have watched different videos then, because for an "open-world", the map itself was cramped as fuck. The only times it was actually open was when they did a boss event, otherwise it was narrow tunnel, narrow tunnel even outside. Being able to pick the left tunnel vs the right does not make the outside open, it just makes it less linear compared to the dungeon, which was FFXIII redux.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Andariel doesn't look like she's been having a great time, based on that art. I spotted Duriel when they were showing the footage initially and cheered a little, even thought I hate that frozen grub bastard lol.

Deleted member 1190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They showed some really cool looking new enemies during the panels too. Bishop of Blood was pretty cool, and they showed him in a cool church-looking area

885095.jpg

Andariel doesn't look like she's been having a great time, based on that art. I spotted Duriel when they were showing the footage initially and cheered a little, even thought I hate that frozen grub bastard lol.

They described her as the demon other demons feared. And that other demons were the ones that chained her, because they were so afraid of her.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We must have watched different videos then, because for an "open-world", the map itself was cramped as fuck. The only times it was actually open was when they did a boss event, otherwise it was narrow tunnel, narrow tunnel even outside. Being able to pick the left tunnel vs the right does not make the outside open, it just makes it less linear compared to the dungeon, which was FFXIII redux.
There weren't even any tunnels. I saw a nice hub, I saw a lot of open fields that led to the different dungeons. Yes, some paths had cliffs on one side or a river you can't cross, but that's it. Sometimes the path was narrowing don to one of those climbing spots I guess. Do you want one giant field with nothing in between?

Their base goal for their open world is to have the whole world interconnected rather than traveling between points like in earlier entries.

Everything that was actually narrow and tunnelly was in the dungeons, and I don't see how or why they should change those.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Seems like Lilith will bring back all of the lesser evil and the main 3. I really hope we get to face Baal and Mephisto again. Baal would be pretty crazy in current graphic

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
They showed some really cool looking new enemies during the panels too. Bishop of Blood was pretty cool, and they showed him in a cool church-looking area

885095.jpg

They described her as the demon other demons feared. And that other demons were the ones that chained her, because they were so afraid of her.

That area is giving me Anor Londo vibes.

Deleted member 1190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Lilith will bring back all of the lesser evil and the main 3. I really hope we get to face Baal and Mephisto again. Baal would be pretty crazy in current graphic

Lilith didn't, they stated/reconfirmed that it was the act of Maltheal shattering the black soul stone in RoS (and us killing him after he had absorbed them.) that was what let them separate and eventually come back.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
There weren't even any tunnels. I saw a nice hub, I saw a lot of open fields that led to the different dungeons. Yes, some paths had cliffs on one side or a river you can't cross, but that's it. Sometimes the path was narrowing don to one of those climbing spots I guess. Do you want one giant field with nothing in between?

Their base goal for their open world is to have the whole world interconnected rather than traveling between points like in earlier entries.

Everything that was actually narrow and tunnelly was in the dungeons, and I don't see how or why they should change those.

Did you actually see these open fields in real time, or just on a map? Because the map showed a bunch of interconnected "lanes" that looked like they would be somewhat wide, but they weren't, and even the small areas that connected the paths only had room for a few characters to move around in at most. I watched about an hour's worth of the demo and all I saw was cramped map after cramped map aside from the boss fights. All of the games had plenty of narrow walkways, hallways and tunnels, but they usually led to much more open spaces. Not so with this demo. At any given time, they only had about a fourth of the screen to actually move around in.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you actually see these open fields in real time, or just on a map? Because the map showed a bunch of interconnected "lanes" that looked like they would be somewhat wide, but they weren't, and even the small areas that connected the paths only had room for a few characters to move around in at most. I watched about an hour's worth of the demo and all I saw was cramped map after cramped map aside from the boss fights. All of the games had plenty of narrow walkways/hallways and tunnels, but they usually led to much more open spaces. Not so with this demo.
I saw them in real time. I saw Kripp walking across them. I watched like 6 hours of this and yes, sometimes you have narrow paths where small land bridges are formed, or other narrower paths, cliffs you can only jump over and other things. But overall I don't see any traversing issues. They are planning mounts, they aren't going to design tons of land where they aren't usable.

Don't really see the issue to be honest, but I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Brom's key art has been revealed

It's a shame this painting isn't even hitting the open market. Blizzard has an unfortunate habit of buying his works outright.

QwfFyn0.jpg

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Not a fan of the open-world MMORPG feel, it doesn't feel very diablo to me. Really like the look of the caves and dungeons, but having a mass of players spamming skills waiting for a timer to click down to fight something feels un-diablo to me (for at least how I play it). Hope its not reliant on that.

Makes it feel cheapish.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty convinced people saying D4 looks exactly like D3 have never actually played D3. The differences are pretty bold.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty convinced people saying D4 looks exactly like D3 have never actually played D3. The differences are pretty bold.
The one thing I think they did really well was give D4 a truly distinguishing art style, especially in contrast to D3. They're night and day to me. It's the systems and mechanics that I'll probably never see eye to eye with the devs and David Kim on. But the artstyle and fluidity of movement/animations? I think it's great, especially for being at least 2 years away.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of the open-world MMORPG feel, it doesn't feel very diablo to me. Really like the look of the caves and dungeons, but having a mass of players spamming skills waiting for a timer to click down to fight something feels un-diablo to me (for at least how I play it). Hope its not reliant on that.

Makes it feel cheapish.
That's only for world bosses, they said they are trying to not let a mass people running around ruin the atmosphere for you outside of those.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Looks like what I wanted from Diablo for a long time at least art design-wise, as long as I can play all alone and ignore most of the gaas aspects im good.