• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Where are people getting these wacky estimates from?

Blizzard, basically - when the director of the game is coming out saying the game is nowhere near to ship, not even by Blizzard standards, people are simply going to extrapolate that to some of the longest timetables imaginable.

On the flipside, I think 3-4 years is a realistic timetable given both what we've seen, how 'barebones' some of the proposed systems are, and how readily they are taking feedback, as if to say they are at a point where they can be flexible to community feedback, versus being set in decisions they built assets & such around many months/years ago.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Oh, yeah thats true.

And if you're referring to the Gorelight leak, I'm not sure I buy it. There's plenty they got wrong in it. PVP section is a huge red flag, for example.

Yeah, I'm watching Rhykker's stream and he just went through it (Gorelight's "leak"). First time I've read it since the announcement, and the PVP thing is a big flag for sure. Dude used the term MMO several times too, and they've been specifically avoiding the use of the term MMO.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Yeah, I'm watching Rhykker's stream and he just went through it (Gorelight's "leak"). First time I've read it since the announcement, and the PVP thing is a big flag for sure. Dude used the term MMO several times too, and they've been specifically avoiding the use of the term MMO.

Actually, plenty of the devs have described the over-world areas by calling it MMO-spaces or shared world spaces. And the director got on stage during the initial reveal of D4 and said some of the things they were focusing on bringing forward from each game in the series prior:

Diablo 1 - aesthetics & tone
Diablo 2 - itemization & class lineup
Diablo 3 - world-class combat

The director basically praising the class lineup of Diablo 2 in particular means there is a better than not chance that the initial lineup of classes is going to be focused on some configuration of 5 of the 7 D2 classes. Considering that we haven't gotten 5 of the 7 D2 classes since D2, (we got Barb & Necro in D3), I think the community would be okay with getting a D2-focused class lineup and then building out expansions/seasons with new classes.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know who voiced the cultist guy? Such a great voice.

Searched the thread, but didn't see anything.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Actually, plenty of the devs have described the over-world areas by calling it MMO-spaces or shared world spaces. And the director got on stage during the initial reveal of D4 and said some of the things they were focusing on bringing forward from each game in the series prior:

I don't recall them ever specifically using the term MMO, despite it being fairly close. Shared world, yes. I don't remember hearing them call it a MMO. I could be mis-remembering though.

A lot of Gorelight's leak is pretty vague. Some of it is surprisingly accurate, some of it is kind of iffy. Bringing the Rogue back from the original Diablo is absolutely a potential move if they don't want to gender lock the Amazon, or feel there's too much lightning damage already. Frankly I'm totally cool with either, as long as there's a bow class. I love the Amazon, and the Rogue.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing that scares me is that they are apparently streamlining the numbers to be more basic? So only attack and defense numbers matter, instead of the other more in-depth options we've had.

I kind of hope it is simplistic in a way. I was playing PoE earlier and was starting to get a bit overwhelmed to the point of dampening my enjoyment.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Curveball: we workin' for Lilith.

It sounds like they haven't done their research as to why exactly PoE is eating their lunch

loved the trailers love everything I see. But I am not in love with Kim or the way he talks about the end game. I have a bunch of sc2 players as friends that would consider Kim a clown of a designer and bad for games
Wait, the one and the same? Maybe he's learned something about being overly timid and unreceptive to criticism over the years...

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Oh, yeah thats true.

And if you're referring to the Gorelight leak, I'm not sure I buy it. There's plenty they got wrong in it. PVP section is a huge red flag, for example.
Yeah that leak is really weird, they got the whole druid transformation thing correct which would be a wild coincidence. But on the other hand, Tristram being a hub town seems unlikely because it's on another continent, and they bring up a combo system that we didn't see. Also, from what devs have said regarding the other two classes, it really doesn't sound like they've decided on anything, so I'd be skeptical about Paladin/Amazon too. Could be real and fake information intermixed?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering re plot - maybe the Nephalim from D3 are the leaders of the cult bringing Lilith back. They would have reason to call her mother, and it would absolutely echo the D2 storyline where the heroes of the previous game are the bad guys of the next.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Blizzard, basically - when the director of the game is coming out saying the game is nowhere near to ship, not even by Blizzard standards, people are simply going to extrapolate that to some of the longest timetables imaginable.

On the flipside, I think 3-4 years is a realistic timetable given both what we've seen, how 'barebones' some of the proposed systems are, and how readily they are taking feedback, as if to say they are at a point where they can be flexible to community feedback, versus being set in decisions they built assets & such around many months/years ago.

I think that is fair but 4 years seems extreme. I'm think 2.5 to 3 years max IMO. I'm sorry if I missed it but is this a new engine?

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
How is the pvp in Diablo 3? Like I dont even know how viable for pvp that game would be since I just played it like a single player game. Maybe ill just watch some videos.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How is the pvp in Diablo 3? Like I dont even know how viable for pvp that game would be since I just played it like a single player game. Maybe ill just watch some videos.
Complete after thought with no regards to balancing. It's the same with PoE.

Apparently Lost Ark has a robust PvP.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Complete after thought with no regards to balancing. It's the same with PoE.

Apparently Lost Ark has a robust PvP.
If they do some sort of Diablo MOBA-like mode, like they seemed to be describing, that could be really cool. PvP zones could be really interesting too if there are high value crafting items within them.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought PvEvP was the way to go with these games. Objective based game play where you had to kill minions while competing against an opposing team. I guess it would be a MOBA lite in that way.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
It barely exists. You talk to a guy in act 1, he sends you to one small map and you duke it out, whereupon it quickly becomes obvious that the game was not balanced for PvP in the slightest. (You also don't actually die there when defeated.)

Diablo IV is apparently being built keeping both PvE and PvP balance in mind, giving it a much better shot of fulfilling its initial PvP goals. It seems like they have a better overall idea of what they want PvP to be now by zoning it off to particular areas, giving a good balance between Diablo II's hostility feature and players who just want to do PvE stuff.

I always thought PvEvP was the way to go with these games. Objective based game play where you had to kill minions while competing against an opposing team.
That would actually be really cool. Having a Gambit-like mode where you kill mobs and hinder the other team with tough enemies (and the occasional invading player) could work very very well if they pulled it off right.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
A rogue could be ranged bow or fast melee dual dagger build. Hell, they could be all about traps too, filling the Assassin role.

Sep 24, 2019
I am not feeling this one.

While the Blizzard Cinematics Team did stellar work as always, I just already feel burned out when it comes to the game itself.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly glad the game is so far out and really hope that means they're shaping the game based on what the various communities want. There are a lot of voices out there (streamers, youtubers, etc.) advocating for what people want out of this game (it's all pretty much a consensus as well), and I really hope Blizzard is listening.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I really hope Blizzard takes the opportunity to tell a story that isn't just good vs. evil this time around, Lilith is definitely in the gray and I would be dissapointed if she's just "the bad guy"

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i really hope they bring back the tone and storytelling from 2 back.

So much better when villains aren't constantly calling you and telling you their plan.

Mozar

Oct 4, 2019
Everything about this looks very good. The only thing that disappoints me is the wait for release.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
The more i listen to Diablo 4 devs the more i think they are totally clueless about what are they doing and how things should work

Here they got a question about what is their approach to balancing PVP, because its almost impossible thing to do in this kind of game and their answer was that they are thinking about PVP from the start and designing classes and systems to make it work.
The answer should be pretty great except we know what they've implemented so far. They showed that items scale at least 25x from lvl 20 to 40. They said that items scale up with every tier of dungeon and they do not have currently real limit to the dungeon tiers and they also implemented skills that have invulnerability or ones that give you another life. So things that cannot work in game that threats PVP seriously.

I really hope that within one year they will make 180 turn on all mechanics, because otherwise this game will be doa for me.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Blizzard takes the opportunity to tell a story that isn't just good vs. evil this time around, Lilith is definitely in the gray and I would be dissapointed if she's just "the bad guy"
So it won't happen, in other words.
Hope springs eternal! I'd love playing a gray faction organized under Lilith, some angelic allies, and the reawakening Nephalem against both Heaven and Hell trying to rub us out.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
The more i listen to Diablo 4 devs the more i think they are totally clueless about what are they doing and how things should work

Here they got a question about what is their approach to balancing PVP, because its almost impossible thing to do in this kind of game and their answer was that they are thinking about PVP from the start and designing classes and systems to make it work.
The answer should be pretty great except we know what they've implemented so far. They showed that items scale at least 25x from lvl 20 to 40. They said that items scale up with every tier of dungeon and they do not have currently real limit to the dungeon tiers and they also implemented skills that have invulnerability or ones that give you another life. So things that cannot work in game that threats PVP seriously.

I really hope that within one year they will make 180 turn on all mechanics, because otherwise this game will be doa for me.

Their philosophy is fundamentally broken when it comes to how they view systems and mechanics in an arpg imo. I just don't think there's much more to say for me personally because it's disappointing. I don't think they'll take any of the feedback seriously either. Everything else about the game is great looking.

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, does anybody actually care about the story in Diablo games?

Maybe 2 when I was a teenager, but man I had no idea what was going on in 3 nor did I really care.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
With modern graphics, voice acting, etc, I could see myself caring about the story more than in the past. It isn't a deal-breaker in a looter ARPG, but it will be nice to have.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Serious question, does anybody actually care about the story in Diablo games?

Maybe 2 when I was a teenager, but man I had no idea what was going on in 3 nor did I really care.

The presentation of the story in 3 was so terrible that it pushed a lot of people into not caring. Aside from the trainwreck writing and dialog I found the story extremely over explained and apparent throughout. One of my favorite things about the first two games (especially the first) was that it left a lot to the imagination. There were quests and lore tidbits but you didn't have a lot of conversations with angels/demons like you did in 3 which took all of the mystique out of their existence. They also gave the demons personalities of childten's cartoon villians. I didn't care much for the actual story either and found playing the role of an overpowered nephilim inferior to that of the previous games where you more of an underdog in a desperate and terrifying situation.

I do want to see a quality story in D4 but I want it to be more in the background. Keep the conversations with supernatural beings to a minimum, let our imaginations fill in the blanks (less is more approach), and stick with the dark horror theme to keep the Diablo franchise in the mature space it should be in.

Last edited:

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017

He dodged the hell out of Zizs question and most questions to be honest.

First answer about getting stronger each level reminded me of D3 power fantasy nonsense.

He had an interview with Quin69 that was better than this panel but still somewhat worrying. Too much talk of legendaries.

Last edited:

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
As someone who never got over the Diablo 3 art controversy I feel insanely happy that Blizzard is making an effort to go back to a dark satanic look.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
He had an interview with Quin69 that was better than this panel but still somewhat worrying. Too much talk of legendaries.

At face value, I don't have a problem with legendary stuff being the primary focus of endgame gearing/progression. That was how I played Diablo 2, and it definitely beats the Diablo 3 method of gameplay being entirely dictated by the handful of sets every class has. Finding unique gear that offers a new way to play your character, or provides a serious boost/augmentation to how you are already playing is a solid, exciting core to build the loot hunt out of. I'm just concerned that they seem to be the only thing that really matters given how simplified the overall stat system is.