• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
During my chat with Coutaz I couldn't help but admire the pictures behind her from the Mirror's Edge comics. DICE may be best known for Battlefield, but it has -- from time-to-time -- worked on other projects, too. With all the talks of Battlefield, are more unusual projects like Mirror's Edge on the backburner for now?

"Totally," she says definitively. "We are only focusing on Battlefield 2042. There is no time for anything else and this is what we want to do. In three years, we want to be the first-person shooter powerhouse that DICE deserves to be, and that is what we're going for."

She concludes: "I want the team to be really proud about Battlefield 2042. That is what they are chasing and they have their heart and the passion there. We want to be really, really proud of DICE. We want DICE to be the number one spot for first-person shooter games in Europe, and one of the powerhouses in the world. It's a fabulous team. We're going to make magic together."

www.gamesindustry.biz

"We want to be proud of Battlefield 2042"

When Rebecka Coutaz joined the team at DICE, she walked into a company that was hurting. The developer had just launche…

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Don't worry Faith, you'll get your time to shine one day.

latest

One day.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Just waiting for EA to learn from Activision and put all studios on Battlefield.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
EA studios are really struggling.

Edit: creatively, of course. I didn't think this was a hot take.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Not in any way a surprise, and the OP title is a bit misleading (I believe unintentionally so) because it's not just that they have no time, they also WANT to be working on Battlefield apparently if you take Coutaz at face value.

To be honest, after Catalyst, I'm not sure DICE or EA would know what to do with Mirror's Edge anyways.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a report recently that it was a small crew on 2042 and the rest was on the next Battlefield?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
While I can respect their effort and how much they want Battlefield 2042 to be good, I can't help but feel like it's a wasted effort at this point. At this point, the ship has sailed on BF2042. There are more people who have quit the game for good or are specifically staying away from the game due to it's long list of problems than there are people playing Battlefield 2042. That's not to say that those people don't matter but when you have this massive amount of people who decided BF2042 is not even worth picking up anymore, I can't help but feel like DICE is better off just making something entirely new from the ground up than trying to fix the sinking ship that is BF2042.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Meh. There's nothing you can do that will fix this mess you call Battlefield 2042. Sorry

Also didn't they put a smaller studio on it?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this has got to be absolutely devastating to studio morale. Hopefully they finally have a good direction with attainable goals

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
While I can respect their effort and how much they want Battlefield 2042 to be good, I can't help but feel like it's a wasted effort at this point. At this point, the ship has sailed on BF2042. There are more people who have quit the game for good or are specifically staying away from the game due to it's long list of problems than there are people playing Battlefield 2042. That's not to say that those people don't matter but when you have this massive amount of people who decided BF2042 is not even worth picking up anymore, I can't help but feel like DICE is better off just making something entirely new from the ground up than trying to fix the sinking ship that is BF2042.
This is my stance as well. I get it's a Sophie's choice for them. I just don't see the return in doing this… the bridge is charred at this point… hard to foresee anything moving the needle when the fundamentals of the game didn't click with so many. (beyond the content and launch issues)

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Give Mirror's Edge to a developer that would give a damn, then.

"We won't make anymore, but we also won't allow anyone else to make anymore" is stupid.

Ugh this has got to be absolutely devastating to studio morale. Hopefully they finally have a good direction with attainable goals
That direction? Straight into the ground.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, if they want to work on it, then go for it, but this is one of the downsides of these huge GaaS games, they take up a ton of dev time

We've got this today on top of no THPS3/4 yesterday, gotta funnel everything to the games with a ton of ways to sell stuff to players

At least other GaaS seem like good games though, feels like no one really cares about BF2042 lol

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
As much as I'd love to see more Mirror's Edge (oh please let there be something some way down the line) at this point, I don't think I'd trust DICE to get it right. With how they bungled BF2042 and BFV, as well as some of the gameplay design choices they made for Catalyst, I don't think they'd make the game that people want.

Kind of wish they'd sell on the IP, though I imagine there's not a huge amount of interest out there for it. It's an IP that could do well in the hands of a smaller team as we've seen games like Ghostrunner, Dying Light and Severed Steel show some semblance of the freerunning that made the original Mirror's Edge great to play (and to a lesser extent Catalyst).

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Yup.

If they are adamant to 'fixing' 2042 its just probably better to treat it like a -complete- relaunch which brings us back to the main point the ship has sailed.

Carve out a core team, have em take the assets and focus on a fun core experience, release a smaller scale but hyperfocused battlefield in 2023 (too early for 2022 and this is Modern Warfare's year) either F2P or discounted like Squadrons while you work on a main title further down the gen. Hopefully you recoup some of the loses but importantly regain fan confidence and hopefully fix whatever the fuck keeps on going wrong internally for the next full title

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
This is my stance as well. I get it's a Sophie's choice for them. I just don't see the return in doing this… the bridge is charred at this point… hard to foresee anything moving the needle when the fundamentals of the game didn't click with so many. (beyond the content and launch issues)
Exactly. It's hard to win back the graces of an audience who has already decided that your product isn't worth it whatsoever. This whole idea of giving Battlefield 2042 this redemption arc simply won't work because the people who have quit BF2042 won't go back to BF2042. No matter what patches, fixes, content drops or major DLCs happen, I simply don't see people picking up BF2042 after how much bad press it's gotten. And all of this simply goes back to they should've delayed the game. People called for it, people had a long list of things that needed to be fix during/after the beta and everyone wanted them to take their time but instead they chose to not listen to their community, and here they are now.

They're better of making a brand new Battlefield game that clearly showcases that they've taken in all of the negative feedback BF2042 got rather than trying to patch holes in this sinking ship that is BF2042.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet that they are trying to fix the game before the inevitable Game Pass release of it, which will definitely have a new wave of players (myself included) and are betting they can revive the game that way.

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
The majority of Battlefield fan base LOATHE 2042.

If 2042 really is their future then goodbye Battlefield

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Catalyst was released one generation too early. The low streaming capabilities of HDDs fucked over the level design of that game.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I hope people read the entirety of the article. And not just the title of the thread. :)

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could make Battlefield 2042 a great shooter over the next 3 years and no one's going to care. Customers have moved on.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

One day.

She's had two chances and sadly neither took off. This is one of those Gravity Rush situations where there's a vocal fanbase but the series just didn't resonate with people and it's time to move on. If they ever do another one than great but I don't understand why they would keep trying at this point.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
My very uncharitable read of this statement is that the majority of the studio are working on the next Battlefield, and everyone else is on 2042 for the time being.

I don't know if Mirrors Edge even gets another chance after Catalyst tbh.

Oct 27, 2017

latest

One day.

Still one of my favourite character designs ever. I hope we get another at some point. I didn't like Catalyst much but the first game was so good that they still have some credit banked with me if they bring the series back again for another entry.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Feels like they had to say this, to show full commitment to the game, regardless of its popularity. Saying "yeah we're still working on it but we have some people doing other stuff" would sound like they're giving up on 2042, which (as much as they should or I want them to) they don't want to do right now

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't expect this, but I think it makes the most sense. I think getting 2042 into a really good state is their best bet for having any hopes of making the next battlefield game a good one. Especially as they've had lots of transitions in leadership and whatnot recently. It's likely that they're still dealing with quite a few teething problems with all of those changes, they can hash those out as they iterate on 2042.

And then when they're happy with their direction, workflow and tools, they can funnel all of that into a new game.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Why should they waste their time with Mirror's Edge anyway? They made a second one and no one bought it. The audience has themselves to blame.

Oct 27, 2017
Why should they waste their time with Mirror's Edge anyway? They made a second one and no one bought it. The audience has themselves to blame.
Wasnt the second one quite crappy reveiw wise?
Why should consumers be expecting to throw thier hard earned money at a game theyll probably dislike?
Maybe EA shouldve made a better game.
(Granted i dont think ME will ever be a huge seller but clearly its mixed reception killed any potential it had)