• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I exclusively play as a woman in this game just because of the reaction from alt-right fuckfaces like those listed in the OP. Because you know these people still bought the game and play it every day.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Join the sub r/BattlefieldV

It's specifically for BFV fans and they despise the people crying about this stuff

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The conversation isnt even about the game. It has turned into a proxy for a culture war about whether or not females/gays/blacks and others should be represented proportionately in media. And in that sense, BF5 is probably a below average annualized cash grab EA game with pretty graphics, but i would double down on not letting hate act like it is the 'voice' for the gaming community.

Where are the youtubers complaining about the gaming communities garbage responses to these types of things? Only one i ever saw was Joe and he got made a pariah so hard he had to stop talking about it

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame the game itself is so bad. I played it through a free origin access trial and even then I didn't enjoy it despite playing it for free.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I absolutely despise everything EA has released this decade (yep henry hatsworth was 2009) but I feel like rewarding EA for this....
Is there anything that they released that was worth playing that's closer to what was designed without the expectation that I have to spend my salary on MTx or alternatively entirely single player?

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Good on EA. They have been excellent and strong with their decision to include women in this game.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Battlefield on reddit going more and more crazy. Now they upvoted that battlefield series should be taken away from DICE because of their stance lol

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
That subreddit is a dumpster fire right now. All posts related to BFV are people complaining about politics in games, and anyone going against the grain is getting downvoted to hell. So many KiA and T_D users brigading there.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the next BF is set in modern times or in the future. I want to give DICE my money because of how it handle this situation. Beautiful.

Also if capital-G, Gamers want realism and historical accuracy, then the entire game should be 1 life. You only have one shot in this $60 game.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the next BF is set in modern times or in the future. I want to give DICE my money because of how it handle this situation. Beautiful.

Also if capital-G, Gamers want realism and historical accuracy, then the entire game should be 1 life. You only have one shot in this $60 game.
DICE is probably done with historical wars after this one.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Shrewd and intelligent business decision by EA. This will pay out boatloads in goodwill if not sales.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
R/The_Donald infecting other reddits lol? they need to nuke that reddit.
Yup. In addition to the disgustigness of all this, this seems to be a case-in-point example of how dumb "containment theory" is, because there's nothing actually keeping those people contained, and surprise, they also hang out in and even get mod status in other subreddits! There's nothing actually keeping them "contained" at all, and so of course stuff like this happens.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
If anything, this project has made everyone in the studio stand stronger together.

Can't believe we're going through this crap for being more inclusive in 2018, but here we are, I guess. Sigh.

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, this project has made everyone in the studio stand stronger together.

Can't believe we're going through this crap for being more inclusive in 2018, but here we are, I guess. Sigh.

Not gonna lie, your games had more than questionable design choices in the past but this is definitely not one of them. Glad to hear that everyone in your studio is holding out. You will be on the right side of history eventually. Well maybe not with the women in WW2 thing but with the women in games in 2018 thing. You know what I mean...

Let's just hope the people in charge at EA don't have a differing opinion on that.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

I applaud you guys.

This sexist shit is worth calling out.
Its just a game..........To normal people.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Big ups to that mod team for taking a stand against the vocal hate groups that push people away from games. They are volunteers and clearly give a shit far beyond the expectation of being a discussions janitor, but to then also deal with administration & an organized hate force is admirable.

Thankfully, the data shows (and given I used to work there on the team that measured this shit) that these hate groups are still very much in a losing battle, and EA knows that this tactic isn't just the morally right thing to do, but it also makes insanely better sense short and long term for their business. They've seen MANY large outcries in the past (some of them legit, some of them not so much), and are well equipped to see past the hate brigades and empower the players, content creators, fans and people that might become fans one day.

We all can and should do more, but I'm legit impressed how EA is doing right about this specific issue.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Gamers are a fucking embarrassment, how did it get this bad? God this is so depressing. Imagine screeching to the heavens because a video game just gives you THE OPTION to play as something other than a white guy. Imagine thinking the developers taking some creative freedom with a WW2 video game means they're rewriting history. Good lord.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

I don't play BF and I think the last game your studio made that I played was Mirror's Edge (fantastic btw).
I'm so far from being your audience it's not even funny, it's your studio's behavior in these times that make me think that the industry is not entirely rotten to the point of needing to be burned to the ground, after the 2014's events I had little faith EA wouldn't back down.
Seriously kudos.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
I'm so confused as to how Battlefield became the alt-rite haven?!

It never has been or was - this is just a brigade of people that so happen to all the sudden be Long Time Fans Concerned With The Progressive Direction The Franchise Is Taking, much like other games who make slight shifts. It's annoying & would be much better if anyone didn't have to deal with hate groups, but in 2018 most major gaming companies are pretty well equipped to detect, measure & act upon valid criticisms and concerned fans vs hate brigades.

If anything, I'm guessing devs & actual fans of that franchise would appreciate it if you don't lump them in with those buttholes, since that's often as demoralizing as the ill-informed critics that started the assumption.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so confused as to how Battlefield became the alt-rite haven?!

It's more like this whole thing was a convinient thing for those alt right vultures to jump at. I believe that despite all the swastika emblems made by players you can encounter in these games the vast mayority of players is actually fine with that.

Big ups to that mod team for taking a stand against the vocal hate groups that push people away from games. They are volunteers and clearly give a shit far beyond the expectation of being a discussions janitor, but to then also deal with administration & an organized hate force is admirable.

Thankfully, the data shows (and given I used to work there on the team that measured this shit) that these hate groups are still very much in a losing battle, and EA knows that this tactic isn't just the morally right thing to do, but it also makes insanely better sense short and long term for their business. They've seen MANY large outcries in the past (some of them legit, some of them not so much), and are well equipped to see past the hate brigades and empower the players, content creators, fans and people that might become fans one day.

We all can and should do more, but I'm legit impressed how EA is doing right about this specific issue.

Please don't see it as a personal attack, but I'm curious, doesn't Riot still have similiar problems with mysogyny and the likes in their leadership or did things change there since all the bad press that happened a few years ago?

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Please don't see it as a personal attack, but I'm curious, doesn't Riot still have similiar problems with mysogyny and the likes in their leadership or did things change there since all the bad press that happened a few years ago?

Don't want to derail the thread, but also don't want to duck a valid question/criticism, even though I don't think my answer is as satisfactory as I aspire for it to be (personal stance, not voice of Riot etc etc):

Put simply: IMO we are more aware, things are being done and have been done, but it's up for us to prove what's changed moreso than it is for anyone at Riot to say what's changing. I think the industry at large & Riot in particular is obligated to do vastly more to change, both internally and externally. I'd rather us earn the trust & be hyper vigilant towards gaining it than telling people they should trust, kinda like in how EA has walked the walk on their BF5 positioning.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Twice as many active members in r/battlefieldv than r/battlefield.

Maybe there is hope for us all.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
You see, gaming is the last safe space left for white teenager boys. Everything else has been polluted by "politics" and forced diversity. Without games, where else will they go?
Why bring white people into this? You think its just white people?

EDIT

Its a quote from Riot games.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Don't want to derail the thread, but also don't want to duck a valid question/criticism, even though I don't think my answer is as satisfactory as I aspire for it to be (personal stance, not voice of Riot etc etc):

Put simply: IMO we are more aware, things are being done and have been done, but it's up for us to prove what's changed moreso than it is for anyone at Riot to say what's changing. I think the industry at large & Riot in particular is obligated to do vastly more to change, both internally and externally. I'd rather us earn the trust & be hyper vigilant towards gaining it than telling people they should trust, kinda like in how EA has walked the walk on their BF5 positioning.

You're right, that answer wasn't wholly satisfactory. :P

But it's good to hear that things really seem to change for the better, even if it's a slow change.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why bring white people into this? You think its just white people yes?

It's a reference to Riot Games. They're currently involved in a lawsuit involving gender discrimination

Indeed, Plaintiff Negron's former supervisor, Geoff Chandler, once told her that "diversity should not be a focal point of the design of Riot Games' products because gaming culture is the last remaining safe-haven for white teen boys."

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda feel like I should get this to at least commend them for not giving in to the pricks.

BlankCanvas23

Jan 24, 2018
I bought the game without knowing any of the political bullshit backstory and so far I've loved it. Reddit can be a cesspool at times, particularly some subreddits. If people don't like it, don't buy the game. That simple. Attacking DICE and EA for promoting inclusion and diversity, even if it makes a game less "historically accurate" is about the most inane thing I've ever heard. Boy, we're sure making this country great again, aren't we kids? Everyone hates eachother and can't seem to go five minutes without bitching about one thing or another. </rant>

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017

You know you're on the right track when degenerates like that throw shrieking tantrums in response. Keep it up :D

Oct 27, 2017

Stay strong :) you are fighting the good fight.

Plus, the game is amazing, currently playing on PC with Premier but will buy it on Xbox as well.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
lol when you start off talking about having "succes" and living with a GF you know the entire post is going to be bullshit

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Women in Battlefield isn't historically accurate
Instantly reviving someone by pressing a button isn't historically accurate
Having your health regen isn't historically accurate

It's a ... video game but of course the only historical inaccuracy people lose their shit over is women.

"My historical accuracy" luckily doesn't fool anyone anymore. They're incels and sexists. All there is to it.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Hello elenarie I'm not into BF at all but a friend has some kind words he'd like you to see

I just wanted them to know as a long time fan since 1942 with expansions, bf2 with expansions, and my all time asymmetrical favorite BF:Vietnam, and while I didn't enjoy a lot of the output after those games I still stuck on in hopes that the team would give competition to the world space. You Guys not only succeeded, and learned from failures, you managed to put out a game that feels like those old games without too many compromises I can complain about. It seems this year a lot of my favorite franchises undersold despite having their best entries since their inception, my heart aches for you and IOI Interactives Hitman series, and I hope that as we all go through against the adversity of fascism and these dark times I want you to know that I'm thankful you guys and gals came together to make something truly fantastic. I myself, am not doing so well, I'm probably dying, but I hope that your teams spirit lives and thrives in the face of all of this calamity, in spite of it even.

Sincerely,

David Diciedue

Aka RoyaleDuke

Ps: fuck nazis

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Keep up the good work, really. As I already said in the thread, what you folks (and EA) have done made me finally download Origin. I'll look into that Origin Access thing and if it's just possible with my PC, I'll give BF a go first time in my life.

Last edited: