• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
You are saying DICE was disrespecting fans such as you, when in reality they were talking about the people complaining about women getting priority in the trailers. That's why I asked if you read the interview where that quote comes from:

"These are people who are uneducated—they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game," he added. "And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]."

Why do you think he was mentioning fans such as you? I mean, this is what they are against:

Not a fan, dingleberry. I stopped reading there

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I specifically said I am not a fan of the product. If you think a 60% down on BF is due to release schedule only, I have a bridge to sell you.

You were definitely interested in the game when the reveal trailers got released. And got very upset about the "robotic arm."

Mod edit in the OP said it's OK not to like the look of it. WE? Unless that's the royal, then you don't speak for everyone. I was oping it was a serious and historical representation. But it's clearly going to be a bit tongue in cheek.

You are most definitely one of "the fans that liked their battlefield a little more grounded" and you most definitely felt attacked by being called "uneducated".

---

Not a fan, dingleberry. I stopped reading there

You can stop lying anytime.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dice should have said #nobodiesbattlefield. Since sales are so low compared to previous games. Except in japan where they were obivious to all the nonsense.

This thread is not about sales figures. Even if so we have not gotten numbers beyond UK numbers, where everything is down for physical retail.

This really got me thinking. All those people are so far lost in their own, warped version of reality, how are we supposed to get them out of this?

It seems that who will be right in the future will boil down more and more to who is the last one standing to spread his views, whether they are good or bad. Which is really sad.

Easy, we leave them all behind. They want to scream genocide, we give it to them. Encourage developers to make inclusive games and support inclusive games.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You can stop lying anytime.

Well being a huge fan of BF1942 I was hoping it was going to go back to that. Your definition of very upset is way off. Jaysis Read what you want, into that, but BF3 /4/BF1 were toilet..

My very first post in that thread

Looks more like a Bad Company or something, pretty, but I'm not feeling it. That robot hand too.

You are something going back through post histories hahah

Last edited:

Morpheus

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Attempting to rationalise intolerance; inflammatory thread derailment. Account in junior phase.
If anything, this project has made everyone in the studio stand stronger together.

Can't believe we're going through this crap for being more inclusive in 2018, but here we are, I guess. Sigh.
You're not "going through this crap" because you tried to be more inclusive, you're getting flamed because, in your own company's words, you marketed a game to portray the "untold stories of World War II" and instead focused the game on people and events that never happened nor existed. The British did not fight the Germans at Rotterdam. Or Narvik. Or the majority of the locations in the multiplayer maps.

You erased the historical Norwegian squadron in the Nordlys story and replaced them with a 16 year old girl. There were no convicts in the SBS, they were all recruited from the Royal Navy. The Senegalese troops were not segregated from French units and the French were more than happy to throw colonial troops into the meat grinder.

You literally marketed the game as something that would attempt to extrapolate the lesser told stories, and instead DICE released a fiction.

But by all means, keep your Ministry of Truth telling you that anyone who dislikes your product is literally the devil.

Oct 27, 2017
Easy, we leave them all behind. They want to scream genocide, we give it to them. Encourage developers to make inclusive games and support inclusive games.

Easier said than done, especially in a world where Trump happened and where far more right wing shitheads came out of the woodwork than anyone could have even anticipated that they exist in such numbers.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
With sales being down, and EA stock continues to tank month after month. It isn't time for another bad press.
The message is fine since they need to build up moral during the holiday season, but from a corporate profit and PR viewpoint, it isn't the right time to do it.
It doesn't look good on EA since they still have other games to sell to these FPS gamers.
With EA Anthem coming out in just 2 months, DICE is playing a dangerous game if people will use this picture to influence FPS gamers to not buy Anthem and reminding people how broken BF5 is and the lack of contents support in their EA game .

In the end, EA board members will have to answer to their shareholders, and it could be a bloodbath if Anthem failed with low preorders/sales after BF5 failing to meet sale goal. They might blame DICE for the start of the beginning of EA downfall if 2019 continues to be like 2018.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Can someone explain to me what the problem is with saying a game is for everyone? I legitimately don't understand why this would make anyone upset.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain to me what the problem is with saying a game is for everyone? I legitimately don't understand why this would make anyone upset.

Privileged assholes don't like it when they have to share the pie.

/r/BattlefieldV is the superior subreddit anyway.

This. If you want to talk about the actual game go to the specific BFV subreddit where all the normal people went when the crazy t_d idiots took over the general Battlefield subreddit.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
You're not "going through this crap" because you tried to be more inclusive, you're getting flamed because, in your own company's words, you marketed a game to portray the "untold stories of World War II" and instead focused the game on people and events that never happened nor existed. The British did not fight the Germans at Rotterdam. Or Narvik. Or the majority of the locations in the multiplayer maps.

You erased the historical Norwegian squadron in the Nordlys story and replaced them with a 16 year old girl. There were no convicts in the SBS, they were all recruited from the Royal Navy. The Senegalese troops were not segregated from French units and the French were more than happy to throw colonial troops into the meat grinder.

You literally marketed the game as something that would attempt to extrapolate the lesser told stories, and instead DICE released a fiction.

But by all means, keep your Ministry of Truth telling you that anyone who dislikes your product is literally the devil.

Yeah, the subreddit is currently complete shit because folks were mad about the Norwegian war stories... Simply put, that's bullshit. People didn't make threads about refusing to revive female characters specifically because they were angry about the morwegian war stories of all things. You can click on most people on that battlefield sub bitching, look at their post history for the past couple of days and know all you need to know about a good portion of their opinions and the focus of most comments is clear.

wilstreak

Dec 1, 2017
All this story about BFV.

Is the game actually any good?

The last FPS game that I finished is COD Black Ops (that I got for free from PS+).

I have bought BF1 before, but hate the stealth part about it. Will the same thing (stealth) also appear in BFV?

Felaipes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This really got me thinking. All those people are so far lost in their own, warped version of reality, how are we supposed to get them out of this?
1WU8ron.jpg

Ohh the obliviousness. It's just two faces of the same coin.

Felaipes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All this story about BFV.

Is the game actually any good?

The last FPS game that I finished is COD Black Ops (that I got for free from PS+).

I have bought BF1 before, but hate the stealth part about it. Will the same thing (stealth) also appear in BFV?
It's great and it's a shame that it got involved in this marketing fiasco.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Those people are scum but Dice could have handled it a bit better. I think that same banner gives assholes a platform to court more future assholes with how combatitive it is with showing the scummy quotes.

Just the hashtag itself would have been fine. That or a simple statement of we value representation over realism/plausibility. Wam bam, the end.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
I can't really fathom how so many people think that anyone who disliked BFV or used the #notmybattlefield hasthag, etc, are seen as anti-women or an alt-right douchebag, some people just wanted a more accurate portrayal of WW2 since DICE had not revisited the theater since BF1942 but the way that DICE marketed the game and comments like "get educated" or "don't buy the game" has been not only completely unnecessary but a little out of touch with the community, it really seems like they are going out of their way to try to mock people that didn't like their vision of WW2 for BFV.

I personally like the game very much, I don't care if there are women in it or if it's not as accurate as some people with more knowledge about history wanted it to be but their whole marketing and stance against people that don't like it seems a little bit childish in my opinion. Sure there must be a lot of anti-women, alt-right people out there but you can't generalize your community like that, they really should have addressed all of this differently but hey their marketing campaign hasn't really been that good with BFV and I don't think anyone would really disagree with that.

All of this would have been way different if they had stated that BFV would be a different take on WW2, they probably would have taken some flak but not like this. There are lessons to learn here for both DICE and the community.

Anyways, I'm sure down the line with new content especially with the Americans joining in and more familiar weapons and battles all of this will be put in the past and the game will truly reach it's potential, which is pretty high in my opinion.

Last edited:

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I can't really fathom how so many people think that anyone who disliked BFV or used the #notmybattlefield hasthag, etc, are seen as anti-women or an alt-right douchebag, some people just wanted a more accurate portrayal of WW2 since DICE had not revisited the theater since BF1942 but the way that DICE marketed the game and comments like "get educated" or "don't buy the game" has been not only completely unnecessary but a little out of touch with the community, it really seems like they are going out of their way to try to mock people that didn't like their vision of WW2 for BFV.

I personally like the game very much, I don't care if there are women in it or if it's not as accurate as some people with more knowledge about history wanted it to be but their whole marketing and stance against people that don't like it seems a little bit childish in my opinion. Sure there must be a lot of anti-women, alt-right people out there but you can't generalize your community like that, they really should have addressed all of this differently but hey their marketing campaign hasn't really been that good with BFV and I don't think anyone would really disagree with that.

All of this would have been way different if they had stated that BFV would be a different take on WW2, they probably would have taken some flak but not like this. There are lessons to learn here for both DICE and the community.

Anyways, I'm sure down the line with new content especially with the Americans joining in and more familiar weapons and battles all of this will be put in the past and the game will truly reach it's potential, which is pretty high in my opinion.

Agreed with everything you said. I am enjoying the game and don't care who it includes. There are plenty of other games out there that feature women and didn't receive the backlash BFV has. The marketing and PR from DICE has been really bad. Had they just said they were changing up a few historical details to create a more inclusive game and dropped it at that I believe they wouldn't be getting as much backlash.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
I think some people will try to push more of these backlashes as hard as they can in the future (I can think of one more game where people are trying their hardest to push a controversy on progressive devs). After what happened with GG where the end result only pushed companies into diversifying their games more, some groups have been desperate to try and make some example out of "woke" devs. Not to mention I saw some smaller groups claim that it's time for a GG 2.0.
I hope what happened with this game only leads to devs being more clear and direct with their messaging, not taking the wrong message about how to appeal to their players.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It just seems to me it just means the inclusion of women isn't a thing he focuses on, not that he thinks inclusion itself is a bad thing. Why would you conclude that?
because in this situation there's only 2 outcomes, picking 1 is good for inclusion. all other answers is bad for inclusion. Sometimes indifference doesn't mean or result to anything good.

their answer in this thread is basically Boggie

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is all this fuss really over a gender selection in multiplayer?

I played a bit of BF5. Everyone's dressed the same so you can barely even tell what gender anyone is unless standing really close. It's such a nothingburger. I do not DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT understand people

Oct 27, 2017

Ironically they did a really good job with the messaging regarding the gameplay imo, even if it was after all the flak they got for the reveal trailer.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Join the sub r/BattlefieldV

It's specifically for BFV fans and they despise the people crying about this stuff

Truth.

I mod /r/BattlefieldV, and even though I still don't like all the decisions made with the game so far, think their marketing (including attacking fans) has been downright awful, and don't even plan on getting the game until next year when more content and factions are added, I refuse to sit by and watch it get brigaded by The_Donald.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017

The issue I have with that general sentiment you talk about is that I find it very funny that the BF series has NEVER been about accurate portrayals of war.
Ranging from mechanics too equipment it hasn't been about that.
Yet a large amount of guys who indulge in white identity politics and white outrage culture have been but hurt.

I also think you should go and read the entire quotes regarding dice devs calling people uneducated and telling them not to buy the game.
If you read the entire quotes perhaps you would understand better.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Truth.

I mod /r/BattlefieldV, and even though I still don't like all the decisions made with the game so far, think their marketing (including attacking fans) has been downright awful, and don't even plan on getting the game until next year when more factions are added, I refuse to sit by and watch it get brigaded by The_Donald.

It's funny, any questionable post I pull up a user's history using a mod Chrome extension and see they have no history in commenting in game subreddits, but tons of history in T_D.

Like I've stated earlier I think the so called attack on fans are in large taken out of context of white identity politics regressors.

I mean if anyone take the following passage as an attack on their fan base I don't know what to say except you also probably are a bigot.

"
After explaining the creative reasoning, Soderlund moved into personal examples. "I have a 13-year-old daughter that when the trailer came out and she saw all the flak, she asked me, 'Dad, why's this happening?'" he continued. "She plays Fortnite, and says, 'I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?' … I just said, 'You know what? You're right. This is not ok.' These are people who are uneducated – they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario.
"Listen: this is a game. And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]. And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not OK."

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
The reveal trailer wasn't that bad imo.
It did a good job of showcasing the new mechanics.
In what part did they say not to buy the game?

The gender controversy had DICE and EA respond by stating "buzz off, we don't want you to buy it" if they were being sexist. As for the marketing, it varied in a few ways. For example, when you compare the reveal trailer for BF1 and BFV, we find several lacking aspects that probably influenced the reaction to the games.

First off, notice the use of cinematics in the BF1 trailer, the notable slices of campaign scenes that make up the majority of the trailer, in fact the only remotely gameplay-looking footage was a few seconds out of the entire trailer. The BFV trailer shows itself as multiplayer gameplay footage. The BFV trailer also declines to include any music, making it notably less "powerful?". Combine that low energy with SJW-ism and DICE started off to a bad start.

In my opinion, showcasing new mechanics is not the best idea for a reveal trailer, cause your hardcore audience will be more likely to keep up to date with blog posts, and followup developer diaries, instead the focus should be on hype. By focusing on mechanics DICE did not hype it up.

If I were DICE, I would have just created a trailer like BF1, which would have gone over better, and then detail things like cosmetics in followup blog posts and dev diaries.

If anything, the focus on cosmetics in the reveal trailer could be seen as a overt attempt by DICE to push microtransactions, and to say the least, brings a firestorm of negativity. People dont want to feel pressured into buying stuff for a game, and DICE waving a bright "Isn't this cool? Buy this" did not help perception.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
The issue I have with that general sentiment you talk about is that I find it very funny that the BF series has NEVER been about accurate portrayals of war.
Ranging from mechanics too equipment it hasn't been about that.
Yet a large amount of guys who indulge in white identity politics and white outrage culture have been but hurt.

I also think you should go and read the entire quotes regarding dice devs calling people uneducated and telling them not to buy the game.
If you read the entire quotes perhaps you would understand better.
What I understand really well is that DICE is not very professional with their messaging to people who don't like the direction they took with the game, no matter where you stand on the issue.

Yes Battlefield games have never been pin point historically accurate, weapons don't have the same amount of bullets in their clips as the real ones, etc, but overall when it comes to the AAA market for war games it is the only one that people can somewhat expect a good depiction of war and this is somewhat expected further when you're talking about DICE coming back to the war theater that started it all, I'm sure you can see how a lot of people that had those expectations could be either disappointed or shocked after the reveal trailer which started all of this and followed up with DICE not being very professional to their community that didn't like it.

Again, it's not about where you stand on the "women in battlefield", "its not historically accurate" debate, it's about DICE not really knowing how to handle the backlash, and treating everyone that voiced out their dislike for their direction or that used the #itsnotmybattlefield hashtag as uneducated and part of some alt-right, anti-women sort of movement is dumb.

They could have voiced out their intent and feelings on the matter without mocking people and making them look like the devil, not everyone that didn't like their vision is part of some alt-right, anti-women movement.

Oct 27, 2017
Like I've stated earlier I think the so called attack on fans are in large taken out of context of white identity politics regressors.

I mean if anyone take the following passage as an attack on their fan base I don't know what to say except you also probably are a bigot.

"
After explaining the creative reasoning, Soderlund moved into personal examples. "I have a 13-year-old daughter that when the trailer came out and she saw all the flak, she asked me, 'Dad, why's this happening?'" he continued. "She plays Fortnite, and says, 'I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?' … I just said, 'You know what? You're right. This is not ok.' These are people who are uneducated – they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario.
"Listen: this is a game. And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]. And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not OK."

Agreed.

I hadn't seen the full quote so its funny how some trashy people on this forum are spreading it around without context.

Again, it's not about where you stand on the "women in battlefield", "its not historically accurate" debacle, it's about DICE not really knowing how to handle the backlash, and treating everyone that voiced out their dislike for their direction or that used the #itsnotmybattlefield hashtag as uneducated and part of some alt-right, anti-women sort of movement is dumb.

The DICE employee quote is clearly not talking about people who had issues outside of women being in the game. It is specifically concerning the people who do have issues with women being in the game.

Last edited:

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

"

But its not a plausible scenario, thats the point. Women did not serve on the frontlines in a widespread manner. But to be honest, in my opinion for DICE to try and use historical positions to justify certain decisions is a bad idea. DICE should have just said, "Its Multiplayer, we want it to be fun, we want you to personalize yourself in your multiplayer avatars, have cosmetics that look cool and bad-ass, have the ability to be a woman" that would have gone over better.

In my opinion, people want not realism, but the idea of realism. Where gameplay vs realism, gameplay wins, but for things that don't matter, like visuals, we enter a more contested arena. DICE's marketing with BF1 was very oriented towards respecting history (in messaging at least), so the shift to BFV was jarring, especially for the hardcore, up-to date audience that kept following the game.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
The gender controversy had DICE and EA respond by stating "buzz off, we don't want you to buy it" if they were being sexist. As for the marketing, it varied in a few ways. For example, when you compare the reveal trailer for BF1 and BFV, we find several lacking aspects that probably influenced the reaction to the games.

First off, notice the use of cinematics in the BF1 trailer, the notable slices of campaign scenes that make up the majority of the trailer, in fact the only remotely gameplay-looking footage was a few seconds out of the entire trailer. The BFV trailer shows itself as multiplayer gameplay footage. The BFV trailer also declines to include any music, making it notably less "powerful?". Combine that low energy with SJW-ism and DICE started off to a bad start.

In my opinion, showcasing new mechanics is not the best idea for a reveal trailer, cause your hardcore audience will be more likely to keep up to date with blog posts, and followup developer diaries, instead the focus should be on hype. By focusing on mechanics DICE did not hype it up.

If I were DICE, I would have just created a trailer like BF1, which would have gone over better, and then detail things like cosmetics in followup blog posts and dev diaries.

If anything, the focus on cosmetics in the reveal trailer could be seen as a overt attempt by DICE to push microtransactions, and to say the least, brings a firestorm of negativity. People dont want to feel pressured into buying stuff for a game, and DICE waving a bright "Isn't this cool? Buy this" did not help perception.

Yeah, it's clear you haven't the full quotes in regards to your cherrypicked quoted with no context.

You second point about just copying bf1 is dumb since why would anyone buy a game that resembles an old one?

Regarding cosmetics it is in cause they aren't going to keep the playerbase split with passes and what not.
If anyone is seriously arguing that they preferred gated content and a split playerbase then they are just fucking stupid,

Oct 27, 2017
But its not a plausible scenario, thats the point. Women did not serve on the frontlines in a widespread manner. But to be honest, in my opinion for DICE to try and use historical positions to justify certain decisions is a bad idea. DICE should have just said, "Its Multiplayer, we want it to be fun, we want you to personalize yourself in your multiplayer avatars, have cosmetics that look cool and bad-ass, have the ability to be a woman" that would have gone over better.

In my opinion, people want not realism, but the idea of realism. Where gameplay vs realism, gameplay wins, but for things that don't matter, like visuals, we enter a more contested arena. DICE's marketing with BF1 was very oriented towards respecting history (in messaging at least), so the shift to BFV was jarring, especially for the hardcore, up-to date audience that kept following the game.

Well in this case they can have the same realism as real life where they can look at women but not have any meaningful interaction with them. Maybe its too realistic?

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
The DICE employee quote is clearly not talking about people who had issues outside of women being in the game. It is specifically concerning the people who do have issues with women being in the game.
I'm not taking about that quote, that's the quote that people on Reddit are discussing.

I'm taking about the image in the OP and the overall message that DICE has put out regarding the backlash.