• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
ydByGbw.png

Why is it always "pushing politics" when it comes to adding woman and/or minorities even though the series is literally about war. Do they really think Battlefield was apolitical this entire time?

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
The whole "historical inaccuracy" would have been avoided if they had said it was an alternative WW2 setting. I absolutely don't mind fictions that explore alternative histories like wolfenstein does or like the man in the high castle does.
It's all about suspension of disbelief. A gun that doesn't fit the setting because of its anachronistically nature won't rub anyone the wrong way, but metallic arms, colored haircuts and hairstyles in a WW2 setting go against this suspension of disbelief. They just had to say "in an alternative history" and no one could complain. The lack of disclaimer and the whole "forget everything you learned" marketing campaign came off as an attempt of rewriting history books.

But once again, it was just an issue among others, like the BR popularity (CoD included Blackout, BF had no counterpart) and the proximity to RDR2's release ("mature" games like Hitman 2 had desparetely low sales for their launch weeks even though Hitman 2 is my absolute 2018 GOTY, no contest).

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Well there was a lot of glitter there, it was a comedy, and another film where the US take the credit from the British. But at least they were not a car full of clown midgets, eh?

Lol! They literally changed history and you call that glitter.
Clown midgets? Tf are you on about?

Like I've posted before.
I'll take customization over bs like lootboxes.
But if you rather have gambling mechanics that can target kids that is silly too.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it always "pushing politics" when it comes to adding woman and/or minorities even though the series is literally about war. Do they really think Battlefield was apolitical this entire time?

The only ones who are "pushing politics" are the babies complaining. Including women is not political.

Every freaking Battlefield game to date has been unrealistic, they've just found a band wagon to jump on, they've never really been interested in playing a Battlefield game, they are just upset cause empowered women scare them. Fucking children.

And I like how including women is radical feminism haha.

Last edited:

Fanta

May 27, 2018
but metallic arms, colored haircuts and hairstyles in a WW2 setting go against this suspension of disbelief

The game has none of this anymore and most of the cosmetics have obviously been stripped from the game before launch no doubt because of this, but now that all that content is gone surely the outrage would go away and people would go back to playing the game, right?
It won't because it was never about cosmetics in the first place.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
The game has none of this anymore and most of the cosmetics have obviously been stripped from the game before launch no doubt because of this, but now that all that content is gone surely the outrage would go away and people would go back to playing the game, right?
The harm was already done with the first trailer though. BFV had bad reputation even before they removed the litigious cosmetics parts. It's a sum of errors that led to the bad sales, and no amount of damage control or last minute changes could change that.

Really? How the hell are they trying to rewrite anything? Do you think historians will look at this game and go, I'm guess we were wrong, time to change the history books.

Video games become increasingly one of the only means to reach some populations without coming off as teaching them something. Considering how bad the educational systems do these days, dismissing video games in term of educational potential is an error. You can teach electronics via minecraft, you can teach physics via Kerball Space Program, you can teach history through WW2 shooters, civilization and other grand strategy games. I'm all for the return of serious games, but serious games done right, and the annual shooter can be a great way to reach people.

Last edited:

Fanta

May 27, 2018
The harm was already done with the first trailer though. BFV had bad reputation even before they removed the litigious cosmetics parts. It's a sum of errors that led to the bad sales, and no amount of damage control or last minute changes could change that.

I'm not talking about just sales here, if the content they're crying about is gone what is there left to complain about? I check the subreddit or any Battlefield V video and I can quickly tell what the remaining problem is and it's not the cosmetics.

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Linking to content associated with hate movements.
Lol! They literally changed history and you call that glitter.
Clown midgets? Tf are you on about?

Like I've posted before.
I'll take customization over bs like lootboxes.
But if you rather have gambling mechanics that can target kids that is silly too.

Absolutely nothing wrong with anything in multiplayer. But those stories should be respectful to the reality they were based on. this video goes over each and talks about the reality it was based on. Good vid, regardless of the BFV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAlAITCBprI&t=246s

Why are you talking about gambling?

Oct 27, 2017
Video games become increasingly one of the only means to reach some populations without coming off as teaching them something. Considering how bad the educational systems do these days, dismissing video games in term of educational potential is an error. You can teach electronics via minecraft, you can teach physics via Kerball Space Program, you can teach history through WW2 shooters, civilization and other grand strategy games. I'm all for the return of serious games, but serious games done right, and the annual shooter can be a great way to reach people.

Sure, Assassins Creed has a mode that "teaches" some history.

But DICE never said anything about this being a game that's supposed to teach anyone about WW2. You can't put the responsibility on DICE to inform or teach people about WW2, if people want to learn about something like that maybe they should try to read a book or you know use the Internet to learn.

Absolutely nothing wrong with anything in multiplayer. But those stories should be respectful to the reality they were based on. this video goes over each and talks about the reality it was based on. Good vid, regardless of the BFV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAlAITCBprI&t=246s

Why are you talking about gambling?

Why should they? DICE has obviously taken some creative freedom with the stories, I don't see the issue with that.

And nice channel there you've found there buddy.

Last edited:

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
if people want to learn about something like that maybe they should try to read a book or you know use the Internet to learn
It only comes off as learning a history book and requires efforts while a game is entertaining and teach effortlessly different things. You need to awake people's curiosity for them to actively look for information. Saying "just read a book lol" only push them into turn inward.

Oct 27, 2017
It only comes off as learning a history book and requires efforts while a game is entertaining and teach effortlessly different things. You need to awake people's curiosity for them to actively look for information. Saying "just read a book lol" only push them into turn inward.

I still don't know how this has anything to do with rewriting history?

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
This screen is hilarious. My favorite is "supposed sexism" at Riot games and FO76 being an argument against diversity
You should watch him! He makes great points about how the women on Riot were the real sexists all along, and how she was actually lying all the time about all the sexism she went through. I hope to see more of his videos posted on this forum of ours, since we could learn a thing or two about being more tolerant and less SJW.

Timurse

Oct 28, 2017
Moscow, Russia
It's funny that they used some fantastical conflicts in BFB2, BF3, BF4, and nobody actually was crying about historical accuracy. Maybe they should've hanged to that formula? No one actually forced them to do the game about WWII which was the most horrible war in our recent history. And no I jump in a match of BFV and see an all-female team which naturally SCREAMS all over everywhere while lying there dying. Like HILFE HHHIIIILFEEEE. Well, that is disturbing.

And hey, all that historical accuracy (or not), racial/gender diversity, etc etc didn't save the game. They just had to make a little wanky game like BFBC2 was. I guess we're on the way to BFBC3 – it's obvious EA has to make it – but ... drums playing... with an all-female cast! And if it's gonna be something like Ms. Maisel level of humor – I'll like it definitely. Just not Ghostbusters alike.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
You should watch him! He makes great points about how the women on Riot were the real sexists all along, and how she was actually lying all the time about all the sexism she went through. I hope to see more of his videos posted on this forum of ours, since we could learn a thing or two about being more tolerant and less SJW.
I got in 1:40 seconds into his Fallout 76 video and his argument that a robot wouldn't make "goodbyes" in other languages if all the Vault citizens we're American had me already close the video.

Now to hope Youtube's algorhitms hasn't pinned me for a dickhead and will just recommend more crap like that....

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I'm kind of out of the loop on this issue, as I tend to avoid nonsense like this; but is this whole controversy about the fact that there are playable female soldiers in a WWII game, and some bigots are pitching a fit? Is that all it is? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly asking.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I would kind of love it if Bad Company 3 would let you play the first mission as the crew from the predecessors, then at the end of the mission all are caught in an explosion, they land in a hospital and then an all-female squad takes over for the rest with a snarky comment like "Leave the serious stuff to the professionals from now on, boys!".

And they should hide it all before release by making fake gameplay trailers and the like where you only see the male crew doing the missions where you are normally already playing the females.

The outrage would be hilarious.

And as a bonus upon completing the game you unlock a mode where you can play the game as the male squad again, but hardcore mode only and the protagonists are whining all over how hard it is.

I'm kind of out of the loop on this issue, as I tend to avoid nonsense like this; but is this whole controversy about the fact that there are playable female soldiers in a WWII game, and some bigots are pitching a fit? Is that all it is? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly asking.

They kind of have a point with pointing out some historical inaccuracies (from which most didn't make it into the final game besides some singleplayer story stuff) but it's all overshadowed by the fact that women are playable, people like on r/battlefield threw a hissy fit, DICE said Fuck Off to them and it all kinda spiraled out of control from there.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much and they are using the current state of the game and relatively low sales figures as a way to make a grater statement.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
r/battlefield needs to be nuked or mods need to start enforcing the rules more responsibly. It's clearly an issue with that subreddit as the issues there haven't been a problem in r/battlefieldone & r/battlefieldv.

If the Battlefront and NMS sub reddit's can be salvaged, so can r/battlefield.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
The Battlefront subreddit was mostly saved by opinion shifting in that game when they changed the monetization system.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Finding a youtube vid you agree with in a shitty channel is a legit problem when you do agree with some opinions of that group.

Like, a random vid will pop up on my feed about TLJ, I think it has some legit points about that movie, I'll look at his channel and see he was complaining that they added a black guy to star wars back when TFA came out. Definitely causes you to take another look at what you were agreeing with (Not always change my opinion, but examine it more closely, at least.)

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

"That even bigots want to play"
What if you don't want bigots in your game? Get the fuck off Twitter.

This is some funny shit.

Openly admitted to being a bigot.

If only the "Centrists" who speaks on behalf of racist and sexists would just admit those groups deserve a voice too.

Because that is all that is missing from that post. He nailed the fact they are bigots but forgot sexists and racists.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
I dunno guys. Putting aside all the ridiculous reddit outrage, this seems like a textbook marketing stunt from EA to polish up their image. Do not forget that this is the same company that has been named worst company of the US multiple times. Imagine you being the boss of EA. What a perfect opportunity to be the good guy again...

ResidentBio

Banned
Jan 1, 2018

I agree with this sentiment.

Edit: But not with Alt right sentiment.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Look, Battlefield has allways been about objective realism. Yes, all the campaigns and settings have been made up, but just look at how historically accurate Battlefield 1 is:

FlusteredPointedAstarte-max-1mb.gif
UnpleasantWelltodoFerret-size_restricted.gif

I don't know about you but this was really educational for me personally.
You should have included a GIF of the Arditi vaulting over the graveyard walls in a historically accurate manner. Because that was IIRC an option in the level.

[EDIT]
Might as well:
BLxzYk.gif

Last edited:

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still get a hearty chuckle when people try and die on the sword of "long time battlefield player and I won't support bf5 cause it's not realistic". Just...come the fuck on.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And now they're celebrating the launch by giving returning players a chance to buy the game for half price just two weeks after it launched.

But if you were a returning player who wanted to support the game day one, you just get a reminder that you wasted your money.

What a mess.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
That feel when one of your longtime followed utube channels reveals they're scum and throws around sjw unironically etc.
Unsub

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I dunno guys. Putting aside all the ridiculous reddit outrage, this seems like a textbook marketing stunt from EA to polish up their image. Do not forget that this is the same company that has been named worst company of the US multiple times. Imagine you being the boss of EA. What a perfect opportunity to be the good guy again...
https://www.pcgamesn.com/ea-best-company-glassdoor
EA seems great place to work at, they treat their employees decently.
https://www.ea.com/news/ea-named-one-of-the-best-places-to-work-for-lgbt-equality?isLocalized=true
They treat LGBT right, they are constantly recognized by Human Rights Campaign in their annual Corporate Equality Index https://assets2.hrc.org/files/assets/resources/CEI-2018-FullReport.pdf

Look I'm no fan of loot boxes and unsatisfactory game endings either. But voting EA to be worst company in the world over some banks and companies who work their employees to death just tells about the absolute stupidity and entitlement in gaming community. I adore CD Projekt games, but hell I'd vote them over EA at this point when talking about gaming companies. Because of their atrocious handling of social media and the incompetence of proper apologies and their insane crunch. They also have pay to win blind packs in Gwent, so they are no strangers to that monetization model either. No matter how much they are flaunting about leaving greed to others and Witcher 3 being GOAT while having the best DLC of the decade. They could still learn something from EA.

And if you think this is EA polishing up their image, you must know they've been doing it for quite a while. It didn't start with Battlefield V, hopefully it doesn't end there either. I wouldn't even really care that much if they were insincere (which I doubt), they are still doing the right thing. Considering how they are often the target of gamer outrage anyway, ruffling some feathers like this deserves my respect. They were fighting bigots in 2012 already https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-itself-against-thousands-of-anti-gay-letters

They are one of the biggest in the industry, it's important they are doing this. And others should follow the lead. I'd hate to see them back down, when they should double down.

Last edited:

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I always find it hilarious that its only western companies that get flack from these shit heads for supposed historical inaccuracy yet when its a japanse company that pulls stuff like this off then you dont hear a single peep.