• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The underlying motivation is completely obvious when someone goes out of their way to specifically and near-exclusively criticize [broader representation] in discussion, but makes a flaccid attempt to connect that to unrelated business practices or just the idea that the game is trying to make money. Whether it's "historical accuracy" or "they're only doing it to make money," those complaints are the reddest fucking flag imaginable.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Was this posted yet?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/a2z0th/op_leads_the_charge_on_the_beaches_of/

Dude tries to rally against BFV in the battlefield general subreddit, people realize he's a blatant racist and pedophile

/r/gamingcirclejerk remains the best.

Also I guess I shouldn't be shocked but am a little shocked that this whole thing is still ongoing. Despite attempts to downplay it, there was controversy before CoD WWII's release. With constant people getting angry about "Black Female Nazis" and so on. But after launch that didn't really keep up and the community just did not care anymore. I sort of assumed that would have happened with Battlefield V. Guess not, it seems like it's gotten worse.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
I always find it hilarious that its only western companies that get flack from these shit heads for supposed historical inaccuracy yet when its a japanse company that pulls stuff like this off then you dont hear a single peep.

Are you telling me that the battleship Yamato doesn't actually transform into a 16 yo girl during WW2?

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
Oh don't worry, sausage, I did.
b4UX3qDLY0WWNqA8ckbB.gif
Yes indeed :D

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
/r/gamingcirclejerk remains the best.

Also I guess I shouldn't be shocked but am a little shocked that this whole thing is still ongoing. Despite attempts to downplay it, there was controversy before CoD WWII's release. With constant people getting angry about "Black Female Nazis" and so on. But after launch that didn't really keep up and the community just did not care anymore. I sort of assumed that would have happened with Battlefield V. Guess not, it seems like it's gotten worse.
Battlefield has a uniquely shitty community

Oct 27, 2017
In Battlefield 1, an American gambler disguises himself as a member of the British upper class while making zero effort to use an accent which everyone notices and is played for laughs, and then he basically wins the Battle of Britain, before dramatically jumping off the side of an exploding German airship into the Thames. He survives, naturally,.

I recall exactly zero complaints about how this was spitting on the graves of the brave men who fought in the Battle of Britain.

Battlefield V comes along, and the weirdos go berserk. I feel like these were the same chaps who got vaguely upset over Hannah in Battlefield 4 (a very authentic character, incidentally, since China has an all-female special forces unit), but their discontent has been amplified by war nerd shit. In Enemy Front, an American journalist was pivotal in, IIRC, the enigma being cracked, and the Warsaw uprising, and also the Heavy Water sabotage operation. I don't remember howling outrage. Sniper Elite has you shooting Hitler in the nuts. Is this historically accurate? No. It doesn't have to be.

This recent wave of GAMER RAGE has become extremely unpleasant to witness. There have always been people trying to stir shit up. But now they feel empowered. I feel like Mass Effect 3 was a bit of a turning point.

On a minor note, DICE put a lot of effort into these campaigns. They're not always good, but as far as storytelling goes, it's something DICE take very seriously, and many reviewers were impressed by the humanity and general decent quality of the War Stories. I kinda wonder whether EA need to create a moderate budget singleplayer "War Story" series to explore human stories of war, basically. Hire people like Peter Jackson to consult. Go for the whole "art game" angle while also making them fun to play. Because making Battlefield campaigns is a bit like casting pearls before swine. The people raging about the contents of Battlefield V's campaign are the exact kind of people who are gonna refuse to play the campaign anyway because they're MP gamers and MP is all they care about. DICE are very proud of what they've made, and it's a pity their work is so ignored.
Why would anyone say that it is spitting in the face of people that died in the Battle of Britain, when said battle was in an entirely different war?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The harm was already done with the first trailer though. BFV had bad reputation even before they removed the litigious cosmetics parts. It's a sum of errors that led to the bad sales, and no amount of damage control or last minute changes could change that.

Video games become increasingly one of the only means to reach some populations without coming off as teaching them something. Considering how bad the educational systems do these days, dismissing video games in term of educational potential is an error. You can teach electronics via minecraft, you can teach physics via Kerball Space Program, you can teach history through WW2 shooters, civilization and other grand strategy games. I'm all for the return of serious games, but serious games done right, and the annual shooter can be a great way to reach people.

By including women as playable into the game, they are educating gamers that women should be included and be more present in the media we consume. These people don't want to be educated.

OP
OP
Deleted member 11093

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good news, a new update on the Battlefield subreddit, about a week ago the moderation team posted a thread asking the users how would they like the sub to be handled from now on, of course, there were hundreds of posts from incels/alt-rights demanding mods to stop censoring them, but there were a lot of feedback in regards to how big of a mess the subreddit has become, I haven't checked it ever since posting my feedback to the mods so I can't find the followup update, but it appears now that they've taken action and I just noticed this new rule on the sidebar of the subreddit:

Posts regarding the inclusion of women and "historical accuracy" now fall under the circlejerking rule. Violations may be met with a ban.

Unfortunately, while hate speech and trolling is finally gone from the frontpage, the subreddit is still dead compared to its r/BattlefieldV counterpart, the damage has already been done, users have moved on along with DICE developers who used to read and respond to feedback and went the other subreddit/discord, but it's still good that the mods have finally enforced a zero tolerance policy, for whoever may still want to use that subreddit.

This should be a good case study for video game subreddit moderators who indulge the idea of letting alt-rights co-opt their subreddits and push fans and developers alike away from it.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good news, a new update on the Battlefield subreddit, about a week ago the moderation team posted a thread asking the users how would they like the sub to be handled from now on, of course, there were hundreds of posts from incels/alt-rights demanding mods to stop censoring them, but there were a lot of feedback in regards to how big of a mess the subreddit has become, I haven't checked it ever since posting my feedback to the mods so I can't find the followup update, but it appears now that they've taken action and I just noticed this new rule on the sidebar of the subreddit:

Unfortunately, while hate speech and trolling is finally gone from the frontpage, the subreddit is still dead compared to its r/BattlefieldV counterpart, the damage has already been done, users have moved on along with DICE developers who used to read and respond to feedback and went the other subreddit/discord, but it's still good that the mods have finally enforced a zero tolerance policy, for whoever may still want to use that subreddit.

This should be a good case study for video game subreddit moderators who indulge the idea of letting alt-rights co-opt their subreddits and push fans and developers alike away from it.

That's a good result for r/battlefield but I agree, I think the damage is already done and it goes way beyond just that subreddit. Sadly it was a perfect storm of incel rage plus a subpar (IMO) Battlefield game. Just a total shitshow and sales are going to reflect that.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good result for r/battlefield but I agree, I think the damage is already done and it goes way beyond just that subreddit. Sadly it was a perfect storm of incel rage plus a subpar (IMO) Battlefield game. Just a total shitshow and sales are going to reflect that.

BFV is gonna underperform for very obvious reasons that have very, very little, if anything, to do with the incel drama. It's fate was sealed as soon as Fortnite became a big deal and Battlefield 1 didn't adapt to it last year. Throw in Battlefront 2's controversy and the game was dead before it was even announced.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
BFV is gonna underperform for very obvious reasons that have very, very little, if anything, to do with the incel drama. It's fate was sealed as soon as Fortnite became a big deal and Battlefield 1 didn't adapt to it last year. Throw in Battlefront 2's controversy and the game was dead before it was even announced.
Underperformed, sure. But the game is far from dead

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
7XFxqpz.png

I love his video about the Cyberpunk tweet. Very informative. Thanks!

It's interesting. I recently checked out the Youtube channel of someone I used to personally know, IRL.

He... actually liked that first video. It's interesting to me, because he would never play that type of game to begin with.

He's into fighting games, RPGs and mostly Japanese stuff... Why would he care about inclusion in a game genre he barely plays?

Like, why seek out this type of content? In a channel filled with awful, awful videos?

It's so frustrating to me... Sorry, I had to vent.

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting. I recently checked out the Youtube channel of someone I used to personally know, IRL.

He... actually liked that first video. It's interesting to me, because he would never play that type of game to begin with.

He's into fighting games, RPGs and mostly Japanese stuff... Why would he care about inclusion in a game genre he barely plays?

Like, why seek out this type of content? In a channel filled with awful, awful videos?

Did you ever ask your friend about it? Maybe it's not too late for him.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I am actually Glad that DICE went this route, where is meant to be historically inaccurate, since Sweden in WWII was deeply "neutral" country, on the one hand they saved a lot of jews, but they also selling ore to Germany and help them move to different countries through them. So I am not glad they made "fantasy" stories rather then real ones, where it would 100% a lot of bullshit, so they don't looked like cowards. This is for me far better way how to handle it. And yes my family was fucked by Nazism pretty badly, so maybe I am overly sensitive on this topic.

And I also play Battlefield for historical accuracy /s

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for saying that. I've always wanted to have a conversation with him again, but I'm a coward.

I know how you feel. I wouldn't know how to start such a conversation myself, but I think it's important to let him know you are important enough for him to care about such things. And if he really is about to drown in this swamp it's important he has someone who challenges those dangerous views.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not against women or minorities in gaming far from it, But when you adjust history or start messing with established franchises to meet a demographic I think it's a bit daft, My issue with the reveal was not that women was in it I could not give a shit to be honest, my issue was the overall tone of the trailer, If this was a Bad Company game I'd of been happy as it would of worked.
Why not make a Battlefield based on a current war instead of tweaking history?

It's like when they change the sex/race of a character in a established universe, why not just make new characters?

Yeah a lot of verbal online gamers are dicks, but they really should not be rubbing this in their faces, it makes the devs just as pathetic and childish as the trolls.

Edit: I should add the biggest issue everyone is overlooking right now is that BFV is shit game missing way to much content compared to previous versions, "free DLC" a lot of this sounds more like features that was in previous games just took out and to be added later, it just seems like a fake model.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm not against women or minorities in gaming far from it, But when you adjust history or start messing with established franchises to meet a demographic I think it's a bit daft.

It's like when they change the sex/race of a character in a established universe, why not just make new characters?

Yeah a lot of verbal online gamers are dicks, but they really should not be rubbing this in their faces, it makes the devs just as pathetic and childish as the trolls.

Edit: I should add the biggest issue everyone is overlooking right now is that BFV is shit game missing way to much content compared to previous versions, "free DLC" a lot of this sounds more like features that was in previous games just took out and to be added later, it just seems like a fake model.
Messing with established franchises? BF1 had women, black and indian characters who you couldn't even change.

The battles and settings it's had have always been loosely historical, as someone said the BF1 campaign was notorious for this and a lot of the weapons in mp either were prototypes or had never seen actual fighting.

Oct 29, 2017
Messing with established franchises? BF1 had women, black and indian characters who you couldn't even change.

The battles and settings it's had have always been loosely historical, as someone said the BF1 campaign was notorious for this and a lot of the weapons in mp either were prototypes or had never seen actual fighting.
Sorry, my mention of franchises was wrong in this thread, I was going on a tangent about a similar argument I was having elsewhere.

"Maybe the people who oppose sexism are just as bad as the sexists" is a bold take
A majority of people were not angry with women in the game I believe it was the quantity, If they had a mission based in Russia on a female only sniper squad there would of not been a uproar, and not because of "less women in my games" but because of a more historical representation of women in WWII.

on a other subject, the prosthetics in the game? No one would of give a shit about that but it was just something else to fuel the fire, It was a "canvas bag" and by this I mean, No one would of give a shit about the canvas bag, but because of everything else happening, it just snow balled.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm not against women or minorities in gaming far from it, But when you adjust history or start messing with established franchises to meet a demographic I think it's a bit daft, My issue with the reveal was not that women was in it I could not give a shit to be honest, my issue was the overall tone of the trailer, If this was a Bad Company game I'd of been happy as it would of worked.

On your edit. Well it would be great if people would criticize that instead, it sounds like a real issue unlike the inclusion of women. But nah, the disdain towards women is greater to these people.

And these characters in Battlefield V are new to my knowledge, no established character got gender or race swapped. I'd probably agree with you to some extent if this was about female Link etc (still wouldn't make me angry). And I don't really know how calling out bigots is just as bad as being a bigot. Seems bit of a stretch tbh. The devs did a good thing, which was responded to with hate.

Edit: They toned down the customization/cosmetics two months before release, I don't think it's relevant to bring it up anymore. They listened to constructive feedback.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
And these characters in Battlefield V are new to my knowledge, no established character got gender or race swapped. I'd probably agree with you to some extent if this was about female Link etc (still wouldn't make me angry). And I don't really know how calling out bigots is just as bad as being a bigot. Seems bit of a stretch tbh. The devs did a good thing, which was responded to with hate.
Sorry that part of my comment was a tangent I was on from a other argument elsewhere and really did not reflect the argument here.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno guys. Putting aside all the ridiculous reddit outrage, this seems like a textbook marketing stunt from EA to polish up their image. Do not forget that this is the same company that has been named worst company of the US multiple times. Imagine you being the boss of EA. What a perfect opportunity to be the good guy again...

I've seen this floating about...

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
And now they're celebrating the launch by giving returning players a chance to buy the game for half price just two weeks after it launched.

But if you were a returning player who wanted to support the game day one, you just get a reminder that you wasted your money.

What a mess.
Not great for those who couldn't price match their way out of the early adopter tax. Yeah, I get that games go down in price, but give if a few months and drop it $10, or $15 at most, not $30. I mean it's a good deal, but it's going to drive people away from buying their games on release and wait a month or two. And I think by many waiting that month or two, they will forget about that game and go onto another all together.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I dunno guys. Putting aside all the ridiculous reddit outrage, this seems like a textbook marketing stunt from EA to polish up their image. Do not forget that this is the same company that has been named worst company of the US multiple times. Imagine you being the boss of EA. What a perfect opportunity to be the good guy again...
Rated the worst company by who? My understanding is that EA is very good for its workers.

Oct 25, 2017

YouTube algorithms don't help. I've had that Battlefield video pop up in my recommended videos all the time and everything I watch is either SJW soyboy cuck snowflake channels, science videos or stuff on why I am shit at golf.

I'm a little concerned about my youngest nephew, he's 12 now and watches loads of YouTube and streamers and I'm sure he's getting this far right bullshit pushed his way. I've had a word a couple of times when he's brought it up but kids don't really care what old farts like me think

Perhaps you should have left me on your ignore list then

"As you were" = Don't mind the interruption, carry on.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
from the past 2 or 3 months, all i can think is that some companies are about to implode. Jesus Christ this are rough times.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
Agree about youtube. Twitter seems to be what you make of it and I don't bother with Facebook. Youtube though seems to be constantly pushing angry right wing loons at me all the time.