• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Going through past LTTP topics I find a trend. Every topic just ends up coming down to how much it sucks compared to the "far superior" BOTW. Did no one actually love this game? Did anyone find the variety of approaches to combat impressive? The story to be intriguing? For Aloy, Ross, Silas, etc to be interesting characters? Was it anyone's game of year?

I don't want to trash BOTW but the lack of story (even more so for a Zelda game) prevented me caring about the world. I did not find breakable weapons to provide challenge, just a pain and a way breakup to combat while I paused and switched to another equally breakable weapon. It was just an empty lifeless world with repetitive shrines that I grew tired of in a matter of hours.

I feel the HZD gets horribly overshadowed and any other year we would be singing it's praises even with BOTW existing.

Rubica

Dec 14, 2017
absolutely not, it was BotW lite and anyone who praised it that heavily was consoling themselves for not being able to play the real deal.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Huh? Horizon is amazing. The combat, graphics and enemies were a ton of fun. I loved fighting the robot dinosaurs. Horizon might be the best looking game I've ever played but I liked it for the gameplay. The vs human combat wasn't that exciting but I loved tying down the robots. Fantastic game.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely adored Horizon. My GOTY of last year. Loved the combat, loved Aloy, and reading through the backstory and lore of the world is the most enthralled I've been with a video game story since the original Mass Effect. I was ravenous for every audiolog or e-mail I could scrounge up :P

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Everyone in Horizon has the personality of a potato cake and the environment overstayed it's welcome at the end of the day. It's a good game but it's really not for me.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I really liked it. The robot combat was excellent.

The story too was a surprising strong point for me, and I imagine that would automatically put it above BOTW for me if I'd actually got a chance to play that.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game and does many things better than BoTW. I wouldn't say either game is far superior to the other

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
Yes a lot of people loved Horizon. It was a great game and the story was fantastic. More people just seemed to prefer Zelda, not really a knock against Horizon.

Also what are you doing pausing to switch weapons in Zelda? It's super quick to change weapons.

Oct 25, 2017
Thread feels a bit "BOTW sucks, Horizon was robbed" bait-y; but yes a critically and commercially acclaimed first party title has people that loved it

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's still my favorite PS4 exclusive so far, just slightly above Bloodborne at #2.

This is the problem with internet discussions in general, comparing games that are focused on different things. Horizon and BOTW are great games, and they excel at their own things.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I really enjoyed HZD. It was a really good videogame and I really liked playing it. 9/10 for me.

I did enjoy BOTW more and think overall its a better game. And thats okay. Doesn't mean HZD is a bad game.

JosephD

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
It was alright, but like you said, BoTW releasing less than a week after it basically deleted any interest I had in finishing the game

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Absolutely loved it. In my top 3 for GOTG along with God of War and RDR2.

Loved the story, setting and combat. Looked amazing too.

BOTW I enjoyed, but not to the extent many did.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I love the story. Cliche sometimes, but dang, it was well written near the end and kept up with the pacing of that wanting to know aspect as if you were reading a book.

And of course, the archer combat was awesome.
Range combat is usually awful in gaming since it has no intensity of close-combat, but Horizon did it. They made archery fun.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I liked it more than BotW even though I understand why BotW in the long run is going to be the game that people talk about from that year. I like being guided more than what BotW did.

Also the music in the game destroys BotW's music which is really rather drab in my eyes and the weakest part of the game.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
It was a brilliant game. I did think BOTW outclassed it in a lot of ways, but it's a superb game nonetheless.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the first and final 3rd of the story.

Loved the gameplay and mechanics.

Yeah, I loved it.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's a great take that released in the same year as a dozen other games of it's caliber. 2017 was a killer year for games and as a sife effect a game like HZD does lose some attention.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
So I guess this is just a HZD vs BotW like why is this is still a thing on this forum over a year after the fact. Both games are appreciated some like both, some like one over the other, some like neither.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I absolutely loved it, great story, gameplay and I enjoyed playing as Aloy. The Frozen Wilds DLC is equally well done and worth playing.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
It's a great game with some fun combat and an interesting story. The only problem was the quests/towns (ha!)/most of the people you meet having not having enough of the same love.

For a first try at an rpg it was a hell of a good attempt by guerrilla.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
absolutely not, it was BotW lite and anyone who praised it that heavily was consoling themselves for not being able to play the real deal.

This is surely not the way to enter into a thread, accusing anyone of feeling differently than you about a game to be jealous. Seriously, regardless of your feelings about the two games, come on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.