• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you switch your camera/control preference?

• Inverted to Standard

Votes: 68 23.9%
  • Standard to Inverted

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Nope, still Inverted

Votes: 145 51.1%
  • Nope, still Standard

Votes: 60 21.1%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
California
I just realized this a bit ago. I used to play inverted in every game, but somewhere along the way (I'm thinking around MW2), I went standard and never looked back.

Did anyone else here make the switch (either way)?

Note, this is specifically for character control, not airplane flying.

Also, I remember a game telling you to "look up" at the onset, and setting your preference based on which way you pushed the stick. I forgot which game it was, but that was neat.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always use inverted when possible, but I've gotten used to both since some games don't give you an option, although that's increasingly rare these days. It takes me a few minutes to adjust back to standard though.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm wondering, what was the first game in the past set up inverted defaults. Always was inverted, but thinking flying games influenced that before FPS

Was it Goldeneye for the N64? The C-stick/R button to move your aim up or down? It must of clearly defaulted to one of the other right? Probably inverted?

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I played a lot of Wing Commander and Tie Fighter as a kid with a flight stick and inverted controls. Today I can still go inverted but only if I'm flying around and that will be awkward for a bit.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I remember a game telling you to "look up" at the onset, and setting your preference based on which way you pushed the stick. I forgot which game it was, but that was neat.
Lots of games did that, mostly copying from Halo. (Halo might not have been the first to do it, but it was the one that got copied).

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm wondering, what was the first game in the past set up inverted defaults. Always was inverted, but thinking flying games influenced that before FPS

Was it Goldeneye for the N64? The C-stick/R button to move your aim up or down? It must of clearly defaulted to one of the other right? Probably inverted?
Yes, Goldeneye broke us.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
My first thought was that I was always standard. But now that I think about it, I may have been inverted on N64. It depends on whatever the default was for Turok, my first console FPS that used a joystick.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back on it, Dual Shock controller for PS released in '97, and Mario 64 came out in '96.

It quite possibly could of been Mario 64 setting the standard since you control the "camera" with the C-buttons and I THINK it was inverted

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Inverted is the only thing that makes sense.
You tilt your head back to look up right?
Same goes for the gamepad stick.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I used to play inverted from a very young age, but most people I played games together with hated to switch the controls over and over. So I decided to try standard...and I was surprised how quickly I adjusted to it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always used inverted unless there was no option and still do. This is for Y-axis. Inverted X-axis is the worst shit ever and I'm glad that almost no games force that anymore.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't until Splatoon that I suddenly regressed and sucked at inverted on control-stick shooters. But before then? Inverted on everything, even story-based games.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I used to play inverted with the Duke in Halo CE... but after I got an S controller I've been Normal and I've never looked back.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
This is kind of weird for me, but I HAVE to play Ace Combat or any flight sim with inverted controls.

But with other games I HAVE to play on normal.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
I generally play inverted, but I can adapt if there's no alternative. The Resident Evil Revelations games on the Switch had an option to flip the controls, but doing so also maddeningly also flipped the gyro controls. It was really, really hard to set thing up where you could tilt the thumbstick back to look up and also have the same behavior from rotating the controller itself. I think one of the games could do it with some finagling, but I couldn't get it to work in the other.

Oct 25, 2017
Inverted here. Goldeneye has left its mark on me however I do recall a few times where I had to adjust to standard because there were no options to change. Didn't feel right and probably

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Which I use depends on what I'm playing with (controller or mouse) but I never switched from one to another either way: it's always been inverted for mouse, non-inverted for thumbstick.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Dad had new PC with Flight Simulator (the first one) and Descent when I was a kid. He played with a flight stick because he was a B-52 pilot. So I learned inverted when I was very young and it's stuck to me since.

For anything stick, it has to be inverted. Mouse is standard of course.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Its funny, remember always doing inverted on pc in the 90s- I guess lots of flight sims existed then, and were a bigger part of the gaming meta rather than the small niche they make today, so it was more natural to mimic that. I think even Goldeneye was inverted if not mistaken, as others have posted?

But once we got to dual shock territory with PS2, the default sort of became to NOT invert with the various twin stick shooters that followed so we kind of just learned it from there to NOT invert.

I will still invert the y axis of any flight game though.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I was born as an inverted Y and will die as an inverted Y. My kids were also born this way.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Inverted for life, here.

If there's one thing I miss from the 360 days, it's being able to set a system-level preference to invert the Y axis. I really hope that comes back.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Inverted till I die.

I can still remember the exact game that changed me. Star Wars arcade on the speccy.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Inverted is something that has always made sense to me. Maybe it's because I think of the controls the same way a plane is controlled. As a kid who wanted to get his pilots license, this seems to be the best explanation. I've never transitioned off of inverted controls.

Dec 14, 2017
I went from standard to inverted (second vote on poll, heh). It's odd, I had weird preferences. FPS games were always standard, some TPS were inverted, and any stationary/turret section I had to go inverted, I was all over the place, but primarily standard. But, m/kb on pc? always standard, for everything. Now though, I am all inverted on controller and still standard on m/kb.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Picture putting your hand on the top of someone's head from behind. To make them look up, would you push your hand forward or pull back?
No no, see, I understand it, I just don't think it matters. I'm changing my FoV on a screen, not literally moving my head. In an FPS maaaaaybe, but in a 3rd person screen it's literally moving a camera view and nothing more.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Used to play older games with inverted Y, but am glad games give us options. Slowly moved to standard, and never looked back.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Some time last gen I started moving away from inverted and never went back. I don't remember when it started, but I think it might've been Uncharteds among other bigger games that were non-inverted by default and forced me to play that way until I've gotten too used to it to bother switching?

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
As they grew up? OP is an expert in SHADE. Inverted for life. Guess that makes me a baby. (LOL) (sarcasm)

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I used to play inverted and for some reason or another learned to play normal while playing halo. Probably because of Lan parties and switching controllers all the time. Haven't looked back since.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think I might've played Duke Nukem 3D "non-inverted" but it was so long ago I can't really remember. I've been playing inverted since I started playing Quake in '97 or '98 though, and I can only comfortably play non-inverted now when it's a cursor on screen and the camera doesn't move (like Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, or Resident' Evil 4 with it's "aiming mode" I think).

edit: Quake is also the reason M2 (right mouse button) is always jump (or equivalent) while playing on PC, too.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the game. Flight sims I use standard controls (pull up) and for fps I use standard controls (push up to look up)

These are standard and not inverted. My head isn't a space ship and my space ship isn't my head.

Nov 2, 2017
Strangely enough, up until last year I played standard but then decided to try out inverted. I got used to it so quickly that I decided to just stick to inverted. Not sure if I play any better but there was definitely no drop in performance.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Inverted is standard damnit!!!!!

Inverted til I die

Edit - I have tried to switch a few times but I just can't :/ I am 35 and I guess it's just too ingrained in me.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure which game corrupted me along the way, but standard has never and will never feel right to me. #inverted4life

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this exactly happened to me. Used to only use inverted but then something changed and I just couldn't, so I had to switch to normal.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I have played inverted since the original Halo. I'm not sure if I did before that but Halo sticks out in my mind. About 3 years ago I swapped to PC only and never really used a controller. Within the past year I've gone back to console gaming and when I got my PS4 and God of War I told myself Im going to try to play through this not inverted. I did and I guess my brain just swapped as I can play quicker games like Apex Legends with no issues.