• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you switch your camera/control preference?

• Inverted to Standard

Votes: 68 23.9%
  • Standard to Inverted

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Nope, still Inverted

Votes: 145 51.1%
  • Nope, still Standard

Votes: 60 21.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Yeah I went inverted to standard. Inverted felt normal from flight games like Star Fox which were the first "aim a cursor" games I played. That then felt normal to me with shooters like Goldeneye, Turok.

Then I didn't play many flight games or shooters until the 360 and then standard felt better for some reason.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I went inverted to standard. Inverted felt normal from flight games like Star Fox which were the first "aim a cursor" games I played. That then felt normal to me with shooters like Goldeneye, Turok.

Then I didn't play many flight games or shooters until the 360 and then standard felt better for some reason.

Same. I think Resident Evil 4 was the last shooter I played inverted, and Gears of War was the first I got used to non-inverted.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Actually this also happened to me and I can't figure out exactly when it happened. But I recall playing Bloodborne with non-inverted camera which my friend commented on when he was visiting. Then when we were playing DOOM he realized I set that to non-inverted as well. I always played inverted up till this last gen. Not sure why I changed.

user__

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up inverting the X axis too in all the games that allow it. It was a matter of coherence for me. I don't find it something that has any relation with age. I like a lot to experiment with the control method customization when a game allows it and it's strongly action-centered.

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
i used to play only inverted but other people would get annoyed when passing the controller so I switched to normal.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I still use inverted. (flight stick style)
I prefer sticking with the movement corresponding with how the actual character would pivot.
If the conceit in first-person games is you're controlling the character from their POV, it actually makes more sense with how you're controlling the character. It feels less immersive the other way like you're just looking at a 2D plane externally, like a computer screen.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I was always inverted, and then I played Resedint Evil with the extended controller on 3ds, with the additional slide pads, and it totally fucked up my brain. Since you werent tilting the sticks(the whole reason for inverted controls) and were instead actually sliding the sticks across a flat plane. Invented felt really weird on that. I was mostly ok still doing inverted on other controllers after this. But then trying to play invented on Call of Duty on WiiU shortly after, while still playing games occasionally on 3DS, and I just couldnt do it. Never thought Id ever go standard, but here I am now. I feel dirty.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I think a lot of games I played growing up used inverted and rarely had options to change to standard. I've started to use standard in modern games. So yeah, I guess I did switch.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I don't understand people who would want to use inverted controls. I've been standard my whole life. If I ever used inverted controls as a kid, that would probably be because I didn't know how to change it to standard lol.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
For camera controls I went from inverted to standard. I think I learned inverted playing Goldeneye, but switched to standard when I played Dark Souls.

For planes though, I'm pretty sure I still use inverted.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Not as I grew up, but within an hour of using the Steam Controller, for some reason a switch flipped in my brain and now I'm no longer inverted.

That's fine, but for things like flying, I sometimes get confused now.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
Inverted only for flight games, everything else standard.

I hated it back in the day when shooters like Turok forced you to play with inverted controls. Glad that's over.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i played star fox 64 inverted only because i didn't know i could change it

now i prefer standard

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Always "inverted" (which is normal to me).
At least for the Y-axis, I am not so sure about the X-axis. Sometimes I change it, sometimes not. I have the feeling that it differs from game to game what they have as an inverted X-axis (when speaking abourt 3rd person camera control).

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I don't even remember how I came to prefer inverted.

I was the only one out of my friends playing with Y inverted during Halo sessions back in the day.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I used to be a freak when I was a kid. I could play both Inverted and Standard Halo 2 and switch adaption to it on the fly. I'm assuming this was because I started out on inverted first, but nowadays I can't. I just stick to regular.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've always used standard. My brother however has used inverted his whole life.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I just realized this a bit ago. I used to play inverted in every game, but somewhere along the way (I'm thinking around MW2), I went standard and never looked back.

Did anyone else here make the switch (either way)?

Note, this is specifically for character control, not airplane flying.

Also, I remember a game telling you to "look up" at the onset, and setting your preference based on which way you pushed the stick. I forgot which game it was, but that was neat.

No, because inverted makes sense if the stick is a representation of your head.

If you want to look up, you lean your head back (pull "down" on the stick).

If you want to look down, you learn your head forward (push "up" on the stick).

Why would I want a control scheme that is the opposite of real life?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Standard for everything first-person, inverted y for flight, inverted x/y for third-person (since it was easier to picture craning the camera around my player). I think it was Uncharted 2 that had separate controls for one of the heavy guns, which just threw me off, so I just forced myself to learn everything standard (except for flying). Now I wonder how I ever was able to play inverted!

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
with apex legends I finally made the switch to standard on gamepad. Also trying to learn standard on trackball for PC play -- carpal tunnel's too much of a liability to try playing mouse for a game again. Inverted felt good but I _always_ had problems lining up shots vertically, and standard makes adjustments much more intuitive.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
I was always standard, but switched to inverted because my roomate in college was, and it made it awkward to take turns and have to switch back and forth. Never could go back after getting used to it.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
It's strange for me cuz from the Ps2 thru to Ps3 era I was inverted then somewhere during the Ps4 era I tried to play a FPS using inverted and it felt wrong, switched to standard and it felt right, have been standard ever since.

Although I think inverted is the correct way i'm kinda glad i'm standard now cuz all games seem to default to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up playing inverted on console shooters like Goldeneye, but eventually grew out of it because it's an enormous pain to switch every game. Even more so if you're playing hotseat games and have to switch back and forth between settings. I'm equally bad with both settings so It's just more convenient to stick with standard.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I imagine there was a time when I played with regular controls because that is what the default was, but I couldn't tell you when I changed to inverted because it has been so long.

There's no going back for me. My brain doesn't even function if I can't invert.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Never "corrected". Still inverted to this day on anything that uses the right analog stick for camera control or for any flight flight control.

If aiming or camera movement is on the left stick (original versions of RE4), however, then I'm standard.

RezVr2

Oct 27, 2017
Used to be inverted. Then one day at a Halo 2 lan party my brain flipped on me and I could only play non-inverted. Really bizarre.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I played with inverted until sometime around TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. I realized that FPS was going to be super popular going forward and I'd need to adjust. One solid playthrough with a friend and I was reprogrammed but I can go back to N64 c-button inversions like I never changed.

Oct 25, 2017
I distinctly remember starting on inverted-Y thanks to Star Fox 1 (and never had to deal with this with genres like FPS because I play them almost exclusively with a mouse and keyboard), but whenever I pick up newer games with flight controls, for the first stretch I always wind up swapping back and forth between inverted and standard as neither of them feel quite right. I remember having this problem with the SF64 remake on 3DS, and I think I settled on inverted, but I'm not really sure; something was off about it.

I never invert with KB+M or gyro, which is how I play all my FPS or TPS. I can't wrap my head around how inverting those would work. I have zero recollection of what I used for single-stick shooters like GoldenEye or RE4. I'm not even sure what I used in Metroid Prime when I played the hell out of it back in the day, as I've had no reason to go back to it on GameCube since Prime Trilogy on Wii delivered motion controls.

As far as right-stick camera controls are concerned, I use whatever setting matches Wind Waker. I'm not convinced that game settings are consistent about labelling this, on either axis, as normal or inverted.

You know what: I just function better in 2D.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inverted is the only thing that makes sense.
You tilt your head back to look up right?
Same goes for the gamepad stick.

I don't use my thumb to push against my head to tilt it

(Both ways make sense depending on how you spin it, it's just a preference, though I'm fine with either and it varies depending on the game)

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
I got into video games with the Atari and NES, and it was Halo that got me to switch from inverted to normal.