• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember it being pretty hyped up and even being positioned as the GBA-killer. Of course, it never happened and it ultimately was a failure. I never had one.

For those who had one:

How was it? Did you like it? Did you regret your purchase? What games did you have? Do you still have it?

coryschmitz

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
My brother got one when it went on clearance. He never used it as a phone, just a game machine. I can't remember what game(s)... I feel like he got a dungeon crawler? I remember we thought the system was cool because it had 3D graphics on a handheld, but ultimately we both forgot about it after a month or two.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I had the N-Gage QD. I absolutely loved that phone. Had the better, smaller form factor and no sidetalking like its predecessor. It was never going to be a GBA killer, and many of the games made for it were rubbish (getting them on clearance at GameStop was definitely the way to go), but at the time it was an easy way to also play non-N-Gage mobile games (not very many other easy ways to play phone games at the time) and it was pretty easy to load it up with emulators too.

Also can't overstate how much of a leap it felt going from a basic, no-frills Nokia phone (B&W screen, can only play Snake) to that.

dyslex666

Nov 1, 2017
Yep, had an original, and currently still have a working N-Gage QD, but I need to leave the charge cable in it for it to work.

I loved it and it was novel to have a phone that also plays games. It wasn't as common back then.
I played the shit out of THPS, The Tiger Woods game, and this gem:

Eventually I got a 128MB MMC card and just pirated everything.Currently, I have a 128MB MMC in my N-Gage QD with 8 games installed on it:

DpQoXaYUcAEQCOJ.jpg

mug

Oct 26, 2017
Bought a QD when it was $99 - great phone to be honest. Cheapest S60 phone you could buy at the time. Pathway to Glory, Colin McRae Rally, Glimmerati, and Pocket Kingdom were great games.

The phone was a miserable failure but there were still some good games.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had one. It was pretty bad comfort wise. Those buttons yikes. But on the other hand i was playing portable Tomb Raider and Pandemonium. So that was good.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
I got a free QD as promotional thing for pocket kingdom. Like an influencer thing before those were a thing. Used it as my main phone until the rubber mouldings came loose

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
My brother did and I remember thinking it was really cool until I saw the games in action/specifically the graphics lol. I remember playing Metroid Prime Hunters, comparing, and thinking he wasted his money.

Maybe he got it for dirt cheap though cuz I remember he got it with like 10 games.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I brought one a few years ago for collection purposes. There's no copy protection so you can load the entire library on one MMC, makes it a decent portable gaming system even to this day.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I had the original and loved it unironically
Damn I feel the need to find a QD now

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Oh yeah looked forward to it and got one then the QD. Tomb raider, actual, real Tomb Raider on a portable was awesome and kinda mind blowing. The Tom Clancy games and especially Ashen were good. Online leaderboards and time attacks were good times. Emu was ok but it was cool watching videos on and browsing the net on lunch. That's the way gaming phones should have gone. Nokia was serious about it, I mean, they purchased SegaNet stuff for their online backend. Make a new one or a gaming phone from a different company that actually has controls built in and I'll buy one right now, lol.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
I had one and played tons of Pocket Kingdom and used the megadrive emulator almost constantly.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yes, got one free with work at the time as worked for a video games distributor. I used it once, it was fucking awful. FIFA was a joke.

It literally wasn't worth having one for free. I pity the poor people who paid for that dumpster fire.

I do wonder what ever happened to the thousands still sat on the shelves at that distributor after it was discontinued.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Had a QD, the games were actually good and the controls were decent. Had a lot or fun playing Tony Hawk, Asphalt and FIFA. Also messed around with 8-bit emulators, that was great. The rubber bumper came off eventually so I sold it and didn't own another handheld until the PSP.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I had the both, Having to pop the battery to swap games was a PIA on the OG. Playing Tony Hawk on the go made it all worth it.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I still remember people make fun of the phone + handheld gaming concept.
Only that a few years later EVERYONE is with an iphone playing games on it. ;/

The N-gage is so ahead of its time lol.