• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
no I wont.

but you can see the serpent mouth comparison above. It doesnt look horrible at all but one does look better.
I'm not sure I can actually pinpoint any changes between those shots that can't potentially be explained by the changes made to the lighting of that particular scene. Can you?

(for example - I'd point out the absence of the red scale borders in the bottom shot, except I'm not sure based on that limited cross-section if they're still there and are only visible under certain lighting)

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Looks ridiculously good, but the serpent looks a bit downgraded to me.

Not the best example but

115.png

526.png

yea def a downgrade in texture. Possibly when they move assets over from pc to pro needed to decrease the res for them to fit. Also lower poly too the lip on the top is modeled but on the bottom pic the teeth is clipping on the left side

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
no I wont.

but you can see the serpent mouth comparison above. It doesnt look horrible at all but one does look better.

To be fair, in this shot the camera focus and general lighting are different. In the original, the focus is on the Serpents face and Kratos and Atreus and out of focus, there's also more aggressive depth of field (perhaps they used to use a lower aperture), whilst in the new version the camera focus is on Atreus and Kratos, and the Serpent is ever so slightly out of focus.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I can actually pinpoint any changes between those shots that can't potentially be explained by the changes made to the lighting of that particular scene. Can you?
other than the lighting which is whatever I dont care, look at the lips and teeth of the serpent the top one is clearly more detailed. Is it a big difference? no will it change my opinion the game? no

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I think nintendo is pretty much the only company that rarely downgrades stuff show in trailers.

That being said, this is nowhere near WatchDogs level of downgrade

This is the biggest bullshit ever. The fake gamecube zelda and metroid videos they showed looked miles ahead of whatever they ever had running on the wii, a system that is atleast twice as powerful. I will never ever forget it, its ubisoft level of bull shit. Same with MS, every dev is as guitly, nintendo is no exception.

To answer this thread, no the game actually looks even better.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
other than the lighting which is whatever I dont care, look at the lips and teeth of the serpent the top one is clearly more detailed. Is it a big difference? no will it change my opinion the game? no
Fair enough, I genuinely missed the lips. Then I'd ask this: Is it enough for you to consider the game, as a whole, to have been 'downgraded', when the nature of ongoing game development is considered?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Looks ridiculously good, but the serpent looks a bit downgraded to me.

Not the best example but

115.png

526.png

Yeah, that one definitely looks better, but outside of the scaled skin layer being absent from the newer shot, the rest could be down to the massive changing in lighting for the scene and the lack of light passing through fog hitting the character.

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, in this shot the camera focus and general lighting are different. In the original, the focus is on the Serpents face and Kratos and Atreus and out of focus, there's also more aggressive depth of field (perhaps they used to use a lower aperture), whilst in the new version the camera focus is on Atreus and Kratos, and the Serpent is ever so slightly out of focus.

This is exactly it, combined with lighting.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
115.png

526.png

yea def a downgrade in texture. Possibly when they move assets over from pc to pro needed to decrease the res for them to fit. Also lower poly too the lip on the top is modeled but on the bottom pic the teeth is clipping on the left side

Looks like the snake lost a bunch of AO around the hair and lips too.

TBH I didn't really notice until you zoomed in but it definitely looks worse when you get in there.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, I genuinely missed the lips. Then I'd ask this: Is it enough for you to consider the game, as a whole, to have been 'downgraded', when the nature of ongoing game development is considered?
I mean is it downgraded yes but thats like a soft yes, by no means do I think the thing looks a generation behind all of a sudden lol. Like I said it doesnt change my opinion on the game or the dev at that

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if so that would be a shame, GOW3 got a sizable upgrade in the last year of development

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Just the person we need for an objective comparison :p

You do know the a different in distance between the serpent and Kratos in these two images?

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
You know there are direct feed screens right? No need to use awful YouTube compressed to hell shots.

Personally, to me it looks like they've mostly improved things if anything. They've upped the detail on character models, added more colour, removed fog in places but added more fog in others. Guessing they're just artistic choices rather than major changes to the engine.

39814594522_02454ee359_o.jpg

39814595652_fcc45c3c7b_o.jpg

39137003134_78b6775dc2_o.jpg
LoL, no downgrades detected. Except by Op's compressed shots.

Upgrades if anything holy Moses.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
With all these terrible comparions I legit cannot tell if someone is joking or not.

I don't know, when will you?

TW3 was heavily downgraded and if anyone says otherwise then it's pure denial. This is nowhere near that level tho.
I didnt meant that it didnt get a downgrade, i meant that it didnt make a fucking difference, the game is beautiful( and im not even talking about the PC version) and it was GOTG.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean is it downgraded yes but thats like a soft yes, by no means do I think the thing looks a generation behind all of a sudden lol. Like I said it doesnt change my opinion on the game or the dev at that
but that's the thing. We're using screenshots of one character model in one scene to determine whether or not God of War, the game, was downgraded. We don't know how the changes made to that character's model are reflected elsewhere in scenes involving that character; eg. if they were able to apply the new overhead elsewhere in the scene with other visual improvements. And so it doesn't make sense to me to consider even actual changes like that to be evidence of a downgrade, not when we're far from having the full picture.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere out there, a forum exists solely for developers where all they do is read our threads and laugh,facepalm, and sometimes even cry at us

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but that's the thing. We're using screenshots of one character model in one scene to determine whether or not God of War, the game, was downgraded. We don't know how the changes made to that character's model are reflected elsewhere in scenes involving that character; eg. if they were able to apply the new overhead elsewhere in the scene with other visual improvements. And so it doesn't make sense to me to consider even actual changes like that to be evidence of a downgrade, not when we're far from having the full picture.
true and that makes complete sense. Until someone like DF gets it or whatever then we wont know for the entire game.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Some games do get downgraded. When you have actual evidence of that, you can make a thread about it, but for this game the evidence is spurious so far. Heavily compressed screenshots being compared to direct feed images spins a false narrative and is heavily misleading. We can and ought to do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.