• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

From about a few hours ago - the list ended at The Outer Worlds.

Then, after a shit ton of people already voted, they added in a new set of games: Astral Chain, Death Stranding, Gears 5, Devil May Cry 5, Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, Borderlands 3 among a some others.

But the problem is, for some reason IGN updated it's Reader's Choice list in two sets. And the original set of games fans were voting on got a 7,000+ vote head start. Then, several hours later, they updated the reader's list to include all games below The Outer Worlds. But they didn't reset the vote counter, nor will they let you change your vote. Effectively giving the original set of games a 7,000 vote head start. Keep in mind these original sets of games were the same games that made IGN's Nominations for GOTY.

A comment from the page sums it up pretty well:

Well Death Stranding isn't on here so I guess I'm not voting

EDIT: Death Stranding has been added to the list. Thank you for listening IGN. Now the only problem is that 7000 people already voted before you added the new batch of games to the list, making the scale unbalanced. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So, IGN kinda done goofed here.

EDIT: They posted an incomplete reader's choice poll. These games got a ton of votes. Then they added more games, but didn't reset the poll. And people can no longer change votes, making the second set of games that were added in at a huge 7,000+ vote disadvantage.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is BS!

I voted for RE2 because my GOTY wasn't on the list, now it magically is.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Last edited:
OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Even the first comment on IGN's page reflects the issue:

Well Death Stranding isn't on here so I guess I'm not voting

EDIT: Death Stranding has been added to the list. Thank you for listening IGN. Now the only problem is that 7000 people already voted before you added these like 10 more games to the list, making the scale unbalanced. lol

Oct 27, 2017
The list is for the Player's Choice awards only. Their original IGN-Only GOTY list highlighted at the top with bold headlines for each game name is still the same.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
If you mean their original reader's poll list of choices only included IGN's nominees and no other games, then yeah that seems like a big oversight.

Hopefully somebody from IGN reads this and resets the Reader's Choice vote to not include the people who already used up their vote on IGN's Nominees. Cus you literally can't vote for the Player's Choice vote then.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Funny,since the new games add,Death Stranding is gaining traction,too late for now.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't expect Fallen Order to be killing it in the fan choice poll, but kind of happy to see it given how painful the wait has been for great Star Wars games over the last decade or so.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Didn't expect Fallen Order to be killing it in the fan choice poll, but kind of happy to see it given how painful the wait has been for great Star Wars games over the last decade or so.

It's not though. The experts at IGN just combined the Staff Picks Poll with the Reader's List poll with Star Wars already being a part of that 7,000 vote head start. And people can't change their vote despite the newly added games being added.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It's not though. The experts at IGN just combined the Staff Picks Poll with the Reader's List poll with Star Wars already being a part of that 7,000 vote head start. And people can't change their vote despite the newly added games being added.
Even among the games that were there, Fallen Order's domination is still a surprise. Death Stranding is still polarizing enough that I don't think it would have had the same lead among the sames were the two titles reversed.

The complaint is a different matter. I'm just impressed Fallen Order is resonating as strongly as it has. Many (myself included) were worried it wasn't getting marketed properly and was being poorly presented leading up to release.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Even among the games that were there, Fallen Order's domination is still a surprise. Death Stranding is still polarizing enough that I don't think it would have had the same lead among the sames were the two titles reversed.

No that's the crazy thing. Despite being at a 7,000 vote disadvantage by the time IGN added all the games under The Outer Worlds in the Reader's Choice poll, Death Stranding is shooting up pretty damn quick. It's already at 4%

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
No that's the crazy thing. Despite being at a 7,000 vote disadvantage by the time IGN added all the games under The Outer Worlds in the Reader's Choice poll, Death Stranding is shooting up pretty damn quick. It's already at 4%
Yep,add any game after 7000+ votes already counted,makes all the games add irrelevant,by the time they add the new games,Star Wars already had more than 1600 votes alone,and we are ignoring the fact that a lot of the votes for those games add later could have gone to any other game before and can't be changed.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Yep,add any game after 7000+ votes already counted,makes all the games add irrelevant,by the time they add the new games,Star Wars already had more than 1600 votes alone,and we are ignoring the fact that a lot of the votes for those games add later could have gone to any other game before and can't be changed.

And it kind of sucks, because IGN made the right call to actually include a shit ton of games in a "USER POLL" - but not sure why they split it into two updates like that.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be blunt and ask why does this even matter? So what if some other game gets the edge on a player voted GOTY (one of hundreds)?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Why does anything matter? Because people assign value to it.

What value is there to this though? So what if game x loses a player vote because it wasn't a choice up front. I love games, but this seems like the biggest "meh" problem that only factors in on forum contests/system wars style conversations.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What value is there to this though? So what if game x loses a player vote because it wasn't a choice up front. I love games, but this seems like the biggest "meh" problem that only factors in on forum contests/system wars style conversations.
Why have the poll at all then if none of it matters? If there's a poll then do the poll correctly

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

What value is there to be on a video game forum discussing video games?

Everything is meaningless

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Add games to the poll after 7000+ votes is wrong and unfair,was better not include than what they did,now the results could have being totally different,since a lot of people that couldn't vote for those games in the beginning,probably voted for another game and can't switch the vote now.What is right is right.

TrelKel

Dec 3, 2019
Readers polls don't make sense anyway as the platform with the highest numbers will have their exclusives dominate among the other exclusives, unless they weight the votes somehow of course.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Readers polls don't make sense anyway as the platform with the highest numbers will have their exclusives dominate among the other exclusives, unless they weight the votes somehow of course.
Public voted anything is mostly done for fun, but yeah, after witnessing several organized online campaigns to mass vote or downvote stuff for whatever petty reason, I find it hard to take these seriously.

Like I just went over and voted for a random game to see if it'd work and it says my vote was accepted? But I'm not even a member? So in theory I could vote again from my phone? LOL

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So as an update - and this is pretty telling of Death Stranding's popularity as game of the year to the general public (we saw it here on ERA's poll as well).

Despite IGN messing up the poll and giving all the games listed below The Outer Worlds a 7,000 to 8,000 vote deficit, Death Stranding has already shot past every single game up to 13.5%. It'll easily surpass Star Wars by the end of the day.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I don't think DS should get anywhere near a GOTY award, but lol @ that IGN mod.

"I applaud IGN..." šŸ˜†

Just scrap the whole poll. Once the brigading starts, it's worthless anyway. It becomes about which fanbase can create the most sock accounts.

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017

There is a 0% chance that IGN took down their Users Choice poll because Death Stranding was winning.

There are only two reasons they would take it down:

They decided the poll was improper due to the original controversy

Or

Someone was rigging the poll with bots to boost a specific game and breaking the already suspect legitimacy of the vote

The safe money is on the second, of course.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
it's misleading and rigged from the start...

and why you give a choice, get mad when people vote for the game you put in the pool and remove it? LOL