• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck Yakuza, first up with men slapping their own grown up daughters and shit, and now this?? What is going on? Kiryu fucking sucks

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think they only posted that GIF before Yakuza 5's translation was announced.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned 1 Day:Advocating for kids being slapped based on personal history
doing god's work

I worked in a toy store. kids need to be slapped. and their parents too

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's just a slap. Didn't kiryu apologize after? Parents freak out sometimes.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
mcdormand-kick.gif

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I read that as Kirby and was really confused for a sec

Kiryu is the greatest father there ever was, how dare you insult him?

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I really enjoyed Yakuza Kiwami and i'm very invested in the series, specially for its absurdity. But still, everytime i saw a gif of that scene or anyone mentioning it like a funny thing, i was a little bit shocked.

This is normal and/or laughable (in context) for a lot of people, i guess.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Let's see if you still have that same opinion after you play Yakuza 5/6, OP. Kiryu is the best father Haruka could ask for.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Yakuza member raised in an orphanage by a tough love Yakuza man shows tough love towards a child he is caring for?

No, I can't believe this. It is unfathomable.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
User banned 1 Day: Advocating that Slapping Kids isn't Physical Abuse, in multiple posts.
There's a fine line between abuse and physical punishment. You can slap a kid. It's okay. Physical abuse is different.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Even the Dragon of Dojima knows that not all kids are innocent and need to be slapped sometimes.

Also he was sorry.

Actually looking back at the later Yakuza games maybe he should have slapped her more. /s

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Yakuza Kiwami and i'm very invested in the series, specially for its absurdity. But still, everytime i saw a gif of that scene or anyone mentioning it like a funny thing, i was a little bit shocked.

This is normal and/or laughable (in context) for a lot of people, i guess.

It's because of the Sega not localizing Yakuza meme.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
h-hold up guys. Don't post yet.
Lemme just...
pop some popcorn
grab a folding chair
and my favorite snuggies
mmmmm yeah now I'm ready

aight. go fucking wild guys

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Antagonistic and dismissive behaviour towards other users.
Christ, so what? I swear you folks come off as pansies sometimes.
Yes you should never hit a child but sometimes people do, anger, frustration etc
It's a thing that happens. WELCOME TO LIFE!

I am sure context matters here too. There must be a reason.
How is the scene framed? Does he apologize straight after or is he hailed as a hero for beating a child?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, this was right after he served hard times, been placed into a stressful/convoluted situation, and well before his transition in GOAT Dad material

Oct 27, 2017
He's an ex-con that regularly beats men to death with discarded traffic cones. Slapping an obnoxious child ranks fairly low on his list of most heinous actions.

He still fucking rocks though.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh well it's ok as long as you apologize then.
Again I'm not that bothered by the act itself. But these defenses are weird.
I get where you're coming from, but I think there's a big difference between slapping your child once because they did something stupid and hitting them several times out of anger. Of course you should never hit any people you love, but sometimes people just lose control.

I hope I phrased that in a comprehenisble manner haha.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait when did that happen?
In a sidequest in Yakuza 1 kiryu pisses off a brother/sister duo. it seems that Kiryu is about to beat up the brother, but he discovers the brother is just a masculine woman and the sister is just a feminine man, so you fight the other one instead. If i'm remembering correctly

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Also you have to understand in that scene Haruka was saying that Kiryu didn't give a damn about her, and if you know anything about this series, Kiryu will literally give up his life for his surrogate daughter if he has to without hesitation.

Deleted member 19761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You heard it here folks. Be likable enough and you can feel free to beat as many children as you want!
I honestly don't care that much but trying to frame it as it being ok is just weird.

Do you condemn every parent who hits their kids as a form of punishment? Many get a lot worse than this videogame, apology-preceding slap. Kiryu is her adoptive father, no need to moralize such a harmless videogame moment unless you're just searching to patronize other people on the internet.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The context, for those interested, is she was accusing Kiryu of only caring about her because of money. The accusation stung Kiryu and he reacted with a slap, which he instantly regretted.

Status
Not open for further replies.