• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Many people often say that despite harsh decision Margaret Thatcher saved UK. I read her legacy and I don't see how what she did was good, but I see some praising her for having hte courage to take decisions she took. Did she help UKand was there something positive in what she did? And is Theresa May her spiritual daughter in the way she rules?

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Margaret Thatcher was shit, but at least she was a strong leader.

You can't say Theresa May and strong in the same sentence.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
If by "saved" you mean "destroyed industry and killed the working classes" then, yes, she saved the UK.

May and the Tories in general are a continuation of her toxic legacy.

TokyoJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Mayhem is not even fit to polish Thatcher's shoes. The two are not alike nor does May even come close to Thatcher. One had balls of steel and vision depending on where you stand and the other has Brexit.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Isn't the "dole" problem still a thing? If anything it proves you can give better wages to people and maintain economic supremacy.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Thatcher destroyed this country

May is more ignorant, stupid and weak

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Thatcher: Enemy of the working class, strong leader and evil. Had no compassion.
May: Weak leader, no political skill, continues legacy of Thatcher/Tories. At least has some compassion.

Thatcher's evil attitude also had effects outside of the UK, like how she didn't want reunification of Germany and opposed it and actively worked to prevent its growing support of in the western world.

Last edited:

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thatcher did unimaginable harm to a lot of the UK. She certainly didn't save it. But she was commanding and had a presence that made her appear strong, which is what May wants but will never have.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
A substantial question would be "Saved it from what?"

Thatcher's lasting legacy, outside of leading us through the Falklands War, is that of the transition to Britain as a service economy. That... I can see the benefits in, yes. Thing is that in executing on such, she also screwed over the working class due to her presumption that the 'free market' would make up for gutting societal infrastructure, as well as privatising many national services that people rely upon, and enabling the at times fucking demented corporate culture that exists in this country. Often her policies had short term positives that led to big, biiiiiig long term negatives. 'Right to Buy' is nice in that it lets people purchase the homes they grew up in - I can understand and appreciate the sentiment. But no commitment to replace the council housing sold off as a result has contributed in large part to the current housing crisis the country faces now. She served her base at the expense of all others.

Not sure even God knows what May's trying to do.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I genuinely think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Thatcher was an absolute blight on this country, and May is her incompetent clone.

Thatcher: Enemy of the working class, strong leader and evil. Had no compassion.
May: Weak leader, no political skill, continues legacy of Thatcher/Tories. At least has some compassion.

Thatcher's evil attitude also had effects outside of the UK, like how she didn't want reunification of Germany and opposed it and actively worked to prevent its growing support of in the western world.

I disagree, I think May has no compassion either, it's just become less acceptable to be openly cruel. This is the woman that voted against goodness knows how many social rights movements and fox hunting bans.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Articles on the web sort of defend her legacy and courage and state she took decisions that were needed.
Very particular articles on very particular websites that may or may not be banned on Resetera and may or may not rhyme with "Fail".

Let's just say that, whether you agree with this or not, Thatcher became one of the only people whose death was semi-acceptable to celebrate.

Huddy

Feb 11, 2018
God no on both counts.

Much of the pain the UK has gone through and continues to can be followed back to Thatcher's decisions.

May so far talks the talk but has failed miserably to deliver anything. Cameron owns Brexit and the party owns the mess we've made of it so far.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, OP. And you know what they both have in common: They both were
STRONG AND STABLE
uk-union-jack-flag-waving-animated-gif-17.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
No and no.

I really do no like Thatcher, her politics, and all the harm she caused, but whatever else you can say about her, she was not incompetent like Theresa May is.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Trying to think of a US equivalent so YankEra can see how silly the title is...

"Was Richard Nixon the most truthful, honest president of his time?"

"Did Donald Trump revitalise American politics?"

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What Thatcher and Reagan did start a 3-decade movement that slowly chip away the middle class foundation and sell them for short term gain. That's why now the Brits has to hire the Chinese to build a nuclear power plant for them. This is actually less of a priority for UK than the US.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Thatcher certainly transformed this country, and was effective in executing her policies for a very long time.

May is nothing like her.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Articles on the web sort of defend her legacy and courage and state she took decisions that were needed.
uh, you will find articles like these about Trump or even Francisco Franco, too. This seems like a roundabout way of saying that you appreciate what she did, which is arguably not the most popular opinion but hey, speak your mind at least

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
People took to the street to celebrated the death of Thatcher decades after her premiership ended. She was strong but she was evil and her decisions are still felt today ( especially the death of suicidal housing)

May is a weak and cowardly woman. I fully believe she feels kinship with Thatcher but she's just a sneaky cowardly person barely clinging on to power , fucking up the most important political period since WW2 all while sneaking in her puritan policy on the sly cause everyone has their eye on Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.