• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
Specifically the issue where you have to use a screwdriver and mess with the internal latches if you put them on wrong?

I want to get a Switch for Mario Odyseey, but the fact that there is such a flaw in the controller makes me hesitant.

Followup, realistically how often do you have to actually remove the straps? Like if I'm charhong the controllers can I just leave them on? What about in travel mode?

syth

Oct 25, 2017
I've put the straps on the wrong way a few times, just pull them off with a bit of force..
it doesn't seem to be as big an issue as your aversion to buying the system seems to make me think it is...

Nauro

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
They're not very important. I'm currently playing through Odyssey docked with the Joycons detached from the wristband straps and it's really comfortable. It's the same controller experience as handheld mode. The straps aren't that hot.

reminder that if you put them on the wrong way it's ur fault they have markings to tell you which one goes where

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
If you're the only one who's really going to be using the Switch, then it won't be a problem at all.

I personally don't use them often. Split Joy-Cons feel more comfortable to me without them, and I usually put the Joy-Cons in the Joy-Con wheels if a friend and I are playing Mario Kart or Snipperclips.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
In this case simply putting them on correctly is the best way to avoid that.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer to use them but I never do. It's just kind of a pain in the ass to have to take them on and off (yes even when doing it the right way haha). But even when I do use them I never even bother to put the straps on. Do you have a reason to want to use the straps like sweaty palms or something? This is definitely not something to let hold you back from buying the system, even if you put it on the wrong way, as others have said you just tug them off a little harder. I've never had an issue getting them unstuck and I certainly never had to use a screwdriver or take the JoyCon apart to fix it, good grief. Unless you need to use the straps for whatever reason, you'll probably wind up never using them.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I find playing split JoyCon without the straps to be much more comfortable. I don't like the extra bulk.

That being said they can be a little tricky to remove, but not to the extreme.

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
I only use the wrisstraps if I'm using the joycon as a full dedicated controller (Mario Kart and I need extra controllers) or giving it to my kids to play ARMS. On my own, when I'm not using the pro controller, I'll leave the wrisstraps alone and just use the joycons. Works well.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The main issue people had is they do on 'too far' so people were trying to pull them off the wrong way, often with the lock enabled.

They actually come off relatively easily if the lock is off and you pull the right way.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I can't get the fuckers off when I put them on correctly. I just don't use them now. Of course, I almost never use detached Joy Con anyway. All Pro for me.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh if you're gonna play ARMS I'd say at least use them then, the JoyCons are way more comfortable to use when held that way with the straps on.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Flaw." It's like hesitating to buy a toilet because accidentally shitting on the lid would be a pain in the ass to clean up.

The straps are clearly marked. The + goes with the + and the - with the -.

OP
OP
Hawk

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you wondering and who see this as a weird concern, I'm a little OCD so yeah, I just worry too much about little things, and worse comes to worse if it flew off in a motion control game, I wouldn't want to have to buy a new tv..