• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
His name alone was problematic enough, pair it up with the reveal and well...

I swear I heard this a million years ago, during that brief period where I was interested in One Punch Man.

On that note, when everyone was telling me to watch the series, no one told me about Puri Puri Prisoner. But then again, I read the manga and maybe it didn't get that far.

Yea Puri Puri Prisoner is just as bad

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
it's been known for a while, although this is the first time it's been mentioned in the Murata manga. It is pretty fucked up, first time I read it I was in disbelief.

Although thinking about it another S Class Hero is a rapist so idk if I can be that surprised :/

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no.

My gf and I were noticing how awful Rocklock's dialogue is in My Hero Academia but this is on another level.

How can anyone excuse this?
So it wasn't just me. Something about Rocklock rubbed me the wrong way. I was just waiting the whole time for some racist shit to happen or for him to betray everyone.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that hurts and that's gross. Damn. I'm not even someone who's in with the series, I know some stuff about it but seeing this sucks. Damn.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
8f08da66dfb8529205b081d0c177bb63.jpg

Which Superman villain is this

May 26, 2018
Feel like this explanation, if not completely, lets Japanese creators off the hook. Anybody alive in the industry today was not working when those minstrel shows were in vogue and the internet has globalized society on a massive scale. Japanese people consume tons of American media with black people. There is no excuse for not knowing this stuff in 2020. Mr. Popo was created over 30 years ago.

Racism is fucking pernicious, it doesn't mean they're off the hook. It simply explains why it's part of their palette. Like you say, everything is out there for them to learn and artists keep choosing Al Jolson.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I just read the manga, what's wrong with Rock Lock.
All of his dialogue sounds like it was written by a 60 year old white business man in 1996.

"Awwww HELL naw", "son", "bruh", "homie" etc etc etc.

At one point they cram about 5 of these into one sentence and it sounds like parody.

People defend it and claim it's not racially insensitive because a black voice actor reads these lines but makes me really uncomfortable that they treat one of the only black characters in that massive city like a tired stereotype.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I wanna make something clear: Japan started to become aware of issues with Black Face around the mid 1980s, with reports bringing awareness that there were problems with depictions of Black people in the media. It actually resulted in banning of a Fujiko Fujio series from TV and the Manga being banned from broadcast in around 1989. Effectively, the series in question, Jungle Kurobee (Kurobee being a pun on "Kuro" (black) and "Akanbe" (pulling down the eye lid and sticking out the tongue), was an extremely racist depiction of not just Black people, but also natives, and played up many stereotypes for laughs (including how the character was uncivalized, originally a savage, and his "quirkiness" was just part of the joke).

This in the character in question:

R-13680436-1558893673-4202.jpeg.jpg

During a rebroadcast in around 1989, as well as attention brought to the manga, there was an outcry because of the content in it, as it's depictions of natives and black people. It resulted, from what I understand, a total ban of the series being published for years. During the series 40th Anniversary around 2013, they finally released the series on DVD and the Manga finally was re-printed, but they put serious warnings on both the DVD release and Manga, and went as far as made a mini-chapter on the manga reprint, apologizing for what resulted out of ignorance in the depictions in the manga.

So again, Japan has been aware of these issues since at least the 1980s. During the 1990s, you did start seeing this less-and-less in a lot of manga, anime, and games, but there was still plenty of problems. Heck, we know this, given even anime and manga as of recent within the last decade, still have occasional problems.

Japan should not get a pass, especially nowadays with globalization of the industry. I understand what resulted in this depictions in the past, notably Little Black Sambo being brought over and the Golden Age cartoons era of animation, which resulted in such depictions for awhile. Given limited exposure outside at the time, I'm not entirely blaming works from that particular era for those depictions fully (since even Osamu Tezuka was guilty of this, and it was well known how political his views about discrimination and racism he was so against, often presenting itself as a central theme in many of his works).

However, with ease of more access to the internet, the fact issues began to be raised in the 1980s, what happened in the past should not excuse why these depictions continue to be a problem in the market today. While again, they aren't NEARLY as bad as they were in the past, they are still happening, and we need to talk about this.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
since even Osamu Tezuka was guilty of this, and it was well known how political his views about discrimination and racism he was so against, often presenting itself as a central theme in many of his works
This is a particular weird aspect of this issue at large. There's a whole spectrum of malice here: on one hand, there's stuff like Terra Formars or the thing you just posted which clearly embody hateful stereotypes straightforwardly, but then you have stuff like Cyborg 009 which preaches racial unity and tries to have a sympathetic multi-ethnic cast while the African guy is a golliwog doll.

A lot of times when we see this issue, it seems to be from people who you think would have been receptive to it the last dozen times it's gotten heat. But I don't live in Japan, so I have no idea what it seems like from their perspective.

Speaking of the golliwog doll, the popularity of those was in the 1970s if I'm not mistaken, and it seems to have a lot of the "cute" features that you sometimes see in these Japanese blackface characters, like the big circle eyes. I'm wondering if that could have been an influence.

Last edited:

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I guess their excuse is that it's part of him breaking his limiter (like Saitama going bald). It's never explained in the webcomic either, but permanent body changes does appear in that world.

zeroOman

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought he was black... but after reading last chapter... holy shit did they forgot his color?

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
The reveal that Dark Alloy is in fact not black was already present in the original manga and it's bullshit. Like the fuct is that.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Same dude who wrote about black people in eyeshield 21 right?
Well this is more on ONE because it's adapted from his webcomic. And no one questioned it because they probably didn't understand it's racist. Not an excuse, but that's why it's hard for me to be offended by it. Less offended, more confused lol.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the joke was he became so tan he turned into a black guy? From what I'm seeing here

The anime and manga seems to just make him black

This is his origin as gets recently revealed in the manga, so the anime hasn't gotten that far yet

Though yeah, that's the 'joke'. It's like a more on the nose version of Luffy's afro - invocation of black imagery as a sign of nominally 'Japanese' characters being good at stuff they expect black people to be

What makes this even stupider is that if not for this particular point, the origin would have been serviceable in the over the top fashion of the series. Kid gets picked on, feels weak, starts weightlifting until they're the most built dude ever. The design would still be rather suspect, but it would be something

But noooooooo can't have that

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Does he look significantly different in the One drawn version? I can see this being a Murata thing since he also had weird, relatively racist material in Eyeshield 21 :/

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I found the character bothersome and now this just cemented the feeling he was a parody was on point.

Oh well. The only thing I would do is message Funimation to retcon this character's backstory in the dubs. The actual studio isn't likely to understand or even listen.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this is why I stopped reading OPM. The one queer character being an implied rapist (it's funny because he's gay! Don't you understand comedy?!) didn't help matters.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I called out this shit when watching the first season years ago and someone responded jokingly along the lines of well actually he's not black. They weren't trying to defend it I don't think.

Anyway I say this to say this seems like old news.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I swear I heard this a million years ago, during that brief period where I was interested in One Punch Man.
On that note, when everyone was telling me to watch the series, no one told me about Puri Puri Prisoner. But then again, I read the manga and maybe it didn't get that far.
Yea Puri Puri Prisoner is just as bad

it's been known for a while, although this is the first time it's been mentioned in the Murata manga. It is pretty fucked up, first time I read it I was in disbelief.

Although thinking about it another S Class Hero is a rapist so idk if I can be that surprised :/

The same manga/webcomic, that has him:

562827-1456105344-400-500-90.jpg
Didn't From Bonus Chapter vol 4 or 5 (Before Go Fight Deep Sea King)
he volunteers to get in the prisons and the worst thing he does to other prisoners is force kiss?

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
It's just the same as in the webcomic from years ago...

The problem is his skin should be more "tan/metalized", the anime just fucked it up.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute, if his power comes from training, like Saitama, and he even goes bald from training, like Saitama, why didn't he become a second One Punch Man?

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I was prepared to give people arguing the manga was tanned the benefit of the doubt initially, but holy crap that is disgraceful, especially the anime scene. Minstrel man lips and everything :(

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I never got far enough in the manga to see him do anything how are his powers unique? Is he just a weaker Saitama basically?