• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
"Gawd how are non-US people suppose to know its racist, why are people getting banned like this is a big deal? So sensitive when some have no idea what blackface is!" posts always happen, despite the frequent amount of times these topics pop up each year.

Might as well say "Black people face racism? News to me." at this point living in that level of ignorance.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit sucks. There's no fucking reason why it had to be that way. I'm reminded of that character in Hajime no Ippo (forgot his name) who starts out as a nice wimp but reappears later as as mean-looking bald buff dude to fight against Ippo. And guess what? They didn't change his skin color! Because there's no need or reason to. How hard can it be. smh

Sweet Jesus

JwAxWcMMtQ5uvmhOZ4G2VdZPD4TmAC8vok57LkSAUv9h3XPyEiFfg8sokRuCXTbxgDW_XHWlmpyHNdnoN_xPQtSrxVb_ZQ

I don't know this anime, so correct me if I'm wrong, but in this specific instance, doesn't this girl fall under the ganguro stereotype rather than straight up blackface? i.e. Young Japanese girls who, in the late 90s, would make their hair blonde and skin dark in a grotesque fashion as a way to rebel against the traditional beauty/societal standards of the black-haired, white-skinned Japanese woman? The tricky parts here, of course, are that a) she's wearing a bra/bikini with a leopard motif, b) she's depicted as a wannabe rapist. Ew.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
The oiled up spray tan excuse doesn't work because the reason why this is messed up is because of the combination of the characters name, him having stereotypical black facial features, and how the anime depicted his skinned tone, if the anime depicted his skin tone a different color and gave him a different face and name then it would have probably lessened the hate they're getting for this, I just don't know how all of this made it through without someone saying this is a bad decision

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Trolling, history of similar infractions
anime is pretty racist, surprised it's still allowed on era..i question most people's opinions on race if they have an anime avatar because you know they over look lots of stuff from race to creepy underage fandom garbage

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
anime is pretty racist, surprised it's still allowed on era..i question most people's opinions on race if they have an anime avatar because you know they over look lots of stuff from race to creepy underage fandom garbage
Animes are just cartoons from Japan, there's no need to throw whole genre under the bus, like what you're saying is pretty much the equivalent of calling all western cartoons racist and judging anyone who likes them because shows like Family Guy and South Park exist

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animes are just cartoons from Japan, there's no need to throw whole genre under the bus, like what you're saying is pretty much the equivalent of calling all western cartoons racist and judging anyone who likes them because shows like Family Guy and South Park exist

south park and family guy are about as satirical as you can get, pretty terrible comparison

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Dont really know the context but this looks like a 'gal' look which I guess could be considered blackface, but the look usually includes other things like long tacky nails, skimpy clothing, extravagent light hair, and a more 'in-charge' attitude that is traditionally less feminine.
IE japanese counter culture for a woman

Oct 27, 2017
"Gawd how are non-US people suppose to know its racist, why are people getting banned like this is a big deal? So sensitive when some have no idea what blackface is!" posts always happen, despite the frequent amount of times these topics pop up each year.

Might as well say "Black people face racism? News to me." at this point living in that level of ignorance.
Honestly this^

I've come to loath clicking on threads like these because I'll always see waaay too many permutations of this exact sentiment. I hate it. And I'm tired of reading it.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
One of the most offensive things I have ever seen in anime is a extremely poorly portayed young black woman named Haguro Kuroko in the anime "Majikoi Oh Samurai Girls" on Hulu. She is effectively labeled a rapist and every male character expresses extreme disgust when she is on screen.
To be fair that anime is an absolute dumpster fire for a multitude of reasons.

But yeah, that shit is tasteless as fuck.

I know some people are debating whether or not its Gyaru or Ganguro or whatever, but in that case they should be oranger in color, not brown or black.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Forewarning, this thread has become a target for atleast one semi-popular website due to a published article. Anyone thinking that there's a genuine conversation waiting in here from "It's just a tan!" folks, do think again.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
quoting myself from an old gaming thread a year or two ago
www.resetera.com

It's pretty disheartening how much right wing nonsense is in gaming communities

Rant-ish thread. I follow a gaming YouTube channel that has a Discord server. Now, the channel is fine and awesome. The Discord channel I thought was fine too until I spend 10 mins in the "politics" channel and found out most of the people I've had casual gaming conversations are the "SJWs...
Excuse me sir I'm from <insert European country here> and I don't believe it's as much of an issue as you make it out to be. I did not know that word meant that. I'm not from the US and for you to expect me to be knowledgeable of your customs is a little bigoted, don't you think ;).

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Forewarning, this thread has become a target for atleast one semi-popular website due to a published article. Anyone thinking that there's a genuine conversation waiting in here from "It's just a tan!" folks, do think again.

Which website if I may ask?

But in case a bunch of people want to make fun of me: Hey guys, I invite you to say it to me directly, my Twitter is in my profile!

So in case you want to tell the European black man who studied the country of Japan for 2 years and who has witnessed the happenings inside of the Anime community for over a decade how wrong he is and how little I understand about racism or the country of Japan, come on in, I have time for all of you.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Which website if I may ask?

But in case a bunch of people want to make fun of me: Hey guys, I invite you to say it to me directly, my Twitter is in my profile!

So in case you want to tell the European black man who studied the country of Japan for 2 years and who has witnessed the happenings inside of the Anime community for over a decade how wrong he is and how little I understand about racism or the country of Japan, come on in, I have time for all of you.
Mods please by all means remove or edit my post if it's inappropriate as I don't want to give any needless exposure to certain sites however: the site in question is Sankaku Complex. It's nsfw so no links or anything but they've got an article screencapping several of us in this thread.

HdS7nLD.png

and it goes on

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Mods please by all means remove or edit my post if it's inappropriate as I don't want to give any needless exposure to certain sites however: the site in question is SC. It's nsfw so no links or anything but they've got an article screencapping several of us in this thread.

Thanks, I think I've heard of that site a few times, but I was never curious enough to visit.

Also lmao at them saying that we're denying the possibility of a tan.

Darkshines skin is darker than mine and no one would suggest I'd have a tan. Tanned characters in anime or Japanese characters from Osaka or the general Japanese south, who are often depicted to have darker skin are much lighter than that.

The only exception is the Ganryu stuff that was already talked about in here, but that's blackface as a style anyway.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably already been said but body builders get tans because reflections accentuate curves and reflections are more visible on dark surfaces than pale ones. Body-building competitions are usually lit by spot lights. Imagine a white-as-snow body builder, their muscle definition would be less visible in that lighting context.

On the other hand, if the lighting was highly diffuse, such as under an overcast lighting condition, the pale color would make curves more distinguishable. Roman or Greek statues often find themselves lit in a less direct manner for that reason.

Note that I have never read or watched One Punch Man, I'm not commenting on that, just the body building tans.

Last edited: