• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the translator himself. He also added "Square's translators at least reviewed the whole script to correct some mistakes or to make the game more readable." which seems to match up with what we're seeing here.

Either way, I've asked him to come and post here himself to clarify a few things, and he's said he will.
Mmmk. I mean it's entirely possible, it wouldnt be the first time a company has done this.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
would nintendo be responsible for this "localization" since officially they're the publisher, or is it SE and nintendo is just acting as the distributor?

also it's pretty fucked up, since i doubt the people responsible for the fan translation have any way to take legal action against this, because even tho they did the work they couldn't have copy righted it.
It would be Square that's responsible here; publishers generally don't like platform holders paying for a localization themselves, as doing so would effectively allow them to hold a game "hostage" as exclusive for their in a region.

The more common practice is to accept a lump sum from the platform holder to cover these exact same costs instead (albeit indirectly), but where the publisher retains full ownership of the translation - and in this case also full responsibility for this case of plagiarism.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be Square that's responsible here; publishers generally don't like platform holders paying for a localization themselves, as doing so would effectively allow them to hold a game "hostage" as exclusive for their in a region.

The more common practice is to accept a lump sum from the platform holder to cover these exact same costs instead (albeit indirectly), but where the publisher retains full ownership of the translation - and in this case also full responsibility for this case of plagiarism.
makes sense, i doubt nintendo themselves would have stolen a fan translation team's work.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
The few lines from the Reaper girl after the moment in the screenshot are translated with a different tone.
Example:
Reaper expresses annoyance
- Fantranslation: "Laaame."
- Switch: "How boring."

Hell, the MC refers to the girl companion as "Rompina" (an endearing way to call someone who's annoying you) in the fantranslation, while in the Official version he's straight out calling her a stalker.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
when studying classical music i came to the realization italians have 20 ways to say 'play this shit really fast'

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
It was copyed, 100%.
Those who say "there's only so many ways you can't translate..." are completely wrong.
Literal translations don't exist, and everyone has a different way of conveying the same message. Even the one screenshot posted could have been translated in dozens of ways.
So yes.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm not, but I do know English isn't special in that it's the only languge where you can say things in different ways. In fact, compared to most languages, it's more limiting. Others have confirmed in this thread that the Italian lines pictured could be said in multiple ways.

I am Italian and I can say that our language lets us say thins in very different ways, as a consequence when I write in English I fin myself more limited (however maybe it is due to the fact it isn't my mother language). However I don't have the corresponding English sentences, otherwise I would have tried to understand if they really couldn't be translated in other ways.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was also a spanish fan translation of the game (with fan spanish dubbing too, quite awesome), so now I wonder if the spanish translation was also copied.

Edit: Gave it a quick glance and it dosn't look like it. But seeing how different they are, is clear how they were copied in this case.

Last edited:

Toucan

Oct 30, 2017
If they really are a 90% match, then there is zero chance of it being a coincidence.

I've done plenty of translations, often in groups or teams where everyone had to translate the same text. No two translations were ever the same, and they they always differed by WAY more than 10%. Hell, if two translations done by two different people matched up 25% of the time I'd already be impressed. The only place I've ever seen that happen is with stuff like technical manuals, where there are a lot of standardized terms and expressions that get repeated over and over again.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I studied language and literature but not in italian and in my experience it is almost impossible to come up with exact words 90 percents

Some words can have same expression, but they will often get conveyed differently. That's why when you are writing a book even with a similar theme with others' works, it will never just be the same

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I'm Italian. I can think of 5 different ways to say those sentences without even seeing the English translated from.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this post doesn't get lost in the fray, as I have a unique perspective on this issue-- a very similar thing has happened (albeit with fansub scripts) to myself and to friends of mine a handful of times.

First of all, this is not a coincidence. Translation doesn't work like that. A =/= B 90% of the time. If the lines were extremely short and basic, I could see maybe 40% as being within the realm of possibility, but 50% or higher is just... indefensible.

Second of all, as has already been stated here, it's important to acknowledge that Squenix staff might not even know this has happened. It's absolutely possible that the person they contracted to do the Italian translation themselves ripped off the fan translation to snag an easy pay cheque.

Lastly, yes, this happened to me and several of my friends. Fansub scripts that we had made showed up on official DVDs. With regard to the legality of doing this, as it was explained to me, we had no discernible recourse. Our work was a derivative work for copyright purposes. We didn't own it. The holder of the copyright of the work from which it was based owned it. And also, this happens way more frequently than the amount its brought up in the public sphere would suggest. A couple years ago, a toy manufacturer who shall remain nameless showed a trailer they'd cut at an industry convention-- someone posted some off-screen footage of it, and lo and behold, it was all made with fansubs. In the same series, the English localized script was based on those very fansubs. I brought the story to some industry friends who told me it wasn't news. It happens all the time. A year or so later, a TV channel in the Philippines licensed a couple of those series for their own English dub-- of course, the scripts are the fansubs to a T. I don't know any fansubber who's been in the game for at least a decade that hasn't had something like this happen to their work, or had it happen to a close friend. As far as my admittedly limited grasp of the law is concerned, all of the above parties have every right to do this. My little rinkydink fansub script is infringing on their copyright. Hell, it's the clean hands doctrine. What court is gonna award me anything for stealing?

Some of the people who worked on those scripts were upset, but frankly I was flattered and I put it on my resume. I can prove it's mine, after all. Assuming EU law doesn't differ greatly with regard to ownership of the derivative work, which admittedly it just might, I recommend these Italian translators do just that. If your work is good enough to steal, it's good enough to get you hired.

EDIT: I guess it's important to clarify that I am not a lawyer nor have I consulted one with regard to this issue. I could be completely wrong about this, and I'll own that. I also definitely have not so much as an inkling of where EU law stands on this subject.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Mewster is waiting for his account to go through so he can post, but he sent me this.
Mewster said:
Anyway just to be clear, I could compare only the text from italian streaming of the game, that are focusing on the main story. That text is 90% the same (and I just found an "infamous" translation I did on the stream.

This was horrible in my translation, and I'm lmaoing in seeing it in the official game)

LZFTIll.png

Apparently something about this is horrible, in his words, but it's there 1 for 1 in the official translation.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
SE really fucked this game up. Put in the minimal effort in the port if this is true (it sounds true). Fuck

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah,if it's really 90% identical, they copied it

also, being italian myself..looking for a pre-existing fan translation and revising it to make it pass like your own professional work, sounds like a very italian thing to do.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LZFTIll.png

Apparently something about this is horrible, in his words, but it's there 1 for 1 in the official translation.
completely obvious. i can't take seriously anyone who even entertains the possibility of a coincidence.
gaming websites should pick up on this news and force SE to comment on it.

Mewster is waiting for his account to go through so he can post, but he sent me this.
you should contact a mod to fast track that if that's possible, would be nice to have him in this discussion.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Well why not? I mean, are fan-translation copyrighted or protected?
And why wouldn't them be? Fan translations are distributed as patches and are completely legal, you can't just claim someone else's work and use it on your product for a profit without their consent lmao. Imagine Nintendo randomly putting a fan-made cover of one of their songs in a game without the artist's permission.

Hickem

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm comparing the dialogue and it's pretty the same. And i think that there are more ways to write the same thing.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Can anyone check the credits to see if the game was "translated" by Square-Enix, Nintendo (they published the game) or a third party?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well why not? I mean, are fan-translation copyrighted or protected?

I know nothing about the legality of the situation but I can say for damn sure that it is extremely unethical to do something like this. It's offensive to the fan translators and frankly it's offensive to the people paying them to translate it, considering that doesn't seem to have actually happened.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
Can anyone check the credits to see if the game was "translated" by Square-Enix, Nintendo (they published the game) or a third party?

Yeah, I don't want to excuse SE from this or anything, but if they use third parties for some of their localizations it's possible they didn't know about this at all. They still need to do something about it though.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Assuming it's really "90% the same" there's no way it's a coincidence, Italian, and romance languages in general, have like more than 10 ways of saying the same thing with slightly different implications.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What does the new content sound like? If it was written by someone else I imagine it could end up with a substantially different tone

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Given the multiple comments about Square half-assing this port, might anyone elaborate on what else is wrong with it?

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do people really not realize that distributing an unauthorized translation (of something not public domain) is copyright infringement? Independent of whether or not you distribute a copy of the original work.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As a translator, I can assure you there is no way a 90% similarity would be "just a coincidence." No translation done by two different people will ever be the same, save for a few short sentences here and there.

If the 90% thing is true, then fuck you SE.

Edit: then again, if the translation wasn't done in-house, there's a chance the translator who was hired for the Italian version grabbed the fantranslation and used that without SE ever knowing about it.

Last edited:

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
You see, there's just a certain number of ways you can translate things haha - language would be really disorienting if someone could translate all sentences into 20 possibilities

Look, the numerous ways you can translate things are limited, heh - language would be pretty overwhelming if one could translate any sentence into 20 different ones.

I mean to say, the quantity of options you have to localize things is finite, hihi - language would be fairly perplexing if somebody could localize every sentence in 20 different manners.

Please understand, there's only so many ways you can skin a cat when it comes to translation, lol. Language would be a big headache for everybody if you could localize the same sentence twenty different ways.
Now we just need 17 more...
EDIT: Nope, 16 actually...

The gist of the matter is that you can only interpret things a certain amount of times, haha - language would be quite difficult if anyone could just interpret any sentence in 20 different ways.

After all, there is a finite amount of ways one can go about translating from language to language, haha. Languages would be quite a mess if one could translate a phrase a bunch of different manners.

What I am trying to say is that there can't possibly be so many ways to express the same idea, haha - Language would be quite hard if the same concept could be expressed in 20 different manners.

Yo dude, you think languages are infinite or what? You gotta be dumb if you think you can straight up write the same shit in 20 different ways man, like, language would be crazy hard

4csmjbjx36ms4d5.gif

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I watched some scenes from the let's play video in the OP.
At 1.13:43 there is the sentence "Il mio nome è Sanae Hanekagoma. nato il 3 marzo, gruppo sanguigno A." It doesn't sound too good, I would have written "Sono nato il 3 marzo, il mio gruppo sanguigno è A".
And then, at "1:14:09" he says "Vi farò il miglior cafferino mai creato - in cambio di moneta sonante, ovviamente". cafferino means a "nice cafè", but honestly I've never used this word, it isn't so frequent, while for moneta sonante (hard cash in English) I can think everal other ways to express it ("denaro in abbondanza", "quattrini", "grana").
However, as I said before, I don't have the corresponding English sentences, so all could be true. I really hope that the responsibles of the Italian localisation can answer our doubts, in some way.

About the 90% I read before, is it confirmed, anyway? Because we just have 6 minutes on Youtube of the fan translation, unfortunately...

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
completely obvious. i can't take seriously anyone who even entertains the possibility of a coincidence.
gaming websites should pick up on this news and force SE to comment on it.

you should contact a mod to fast track that if that's possible, would be nice to have him in this discussion.

Lmao this pic

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
With regards to that second image and why it's horrible...

Mewster said:
Because it's just a translation and not a localization. I took the english words ("Spicy tuna roll"), googled the food and pushed its humongous name on the translation.
Today I would have written only "tramezzino" (sandwich), since the specific food was totally unnecessary.

To see the exact same horrible dialogue in the official one pretty much confirms suspicions.