• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of bored so I was thinking of picking up this game for fun. But I'm looking around and it's almost like this game never existed.

I played for a bit at release, but was kind of bored by the lack of content.

Did some searching, but I was hoping someone here would clarify: did this game really get no DLC or content updates?

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It cratered hard. Just think of it was a Sonic remix album attached to a game.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
No. It didn't even get a basic patch to fix the numerous networking issues. They just straight dropped the game after launch. This game was RIPE for DLC teams and courses that did not happen. This game isnt worth it for anything past the Crush 40 soundtrack. If you want a supported modern good kart racer, play Crash Nitro Fueled. Just had a new course, cars, and characters added today too!

Last edited:

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
They dropped this one old school style, just got it out there and moved right on. It's an alright game, worth a playthrough imo. Just not as exciting as other recent games like it, or even its own predecessor.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There was one patch that supposedly fixed the online but it always performed like shit even after the fixes. When you could find a match in the barren online anyways.

Its worth it for the singleplayer for $20 or less, imo

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
This reminds me of what could have been for console owners of sonic allstars racing transformed and I feel sad that its potentially happening again because that game was firing on nearly all cylinders

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least they didn't pull a Sonic Racing Transformed and have an entire cup called "DLC TRACKS" containing a track that was included in the game at launch and three "LOCKED" tracks that were never unlocked because there never were any DLC tracks.

pkpkSuB9.png:medium

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it basically released and... that was it. No extra content, no multiplayer fixes, nothing.

It's a shame, because I think the team aspect was really neat. Multiplayer aside, it's a solid and fun game. I hope Sumo gets another go at the series (though maybe instead with a true followup to Racing Transformed rather than "just" another Sonic-focused game).

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully someone get a fire lit under them for the next game and makes them want to compete with Crash, which proved kart racers do have a market outside Mario Kart.

Oct 29, 2017
The game didnt perform well? I know I didnt get it because of the heavy focus on Sonic, despite loving Racing Transformed - thats probably my favorite Kart-racer of all time.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Not every game needs DLC or post-launch support. Sometimes that's work I'd rather see go to a new physically released game.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I thought it was a fun racer but lack of updates and no fixes to the online basically made me lose interest immediately.

Oct 25, 2017
The team racing thing was interesting as an idea, but in practice, I dropped it and went back to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Transformed for my kart fix. The Sonic-only focus + me not loving the "ride your team members' line" style of gameplay ultimately didn't do it for me. Considering how quickly the price of the game dropped, I guess it was the same for others.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There were so many little things in this game that just needed to be cleaned up that weren't...

I don't know. Maybe Sega was just happy with how the mobile version did and said "good enough".

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The game was aggressively mediocre and a titanic step down from Sonic Transformed. Perhaps this is for the best. I'll be in for a sequel that rights the wrongs, but probably uninterested in DLC.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The focus on only Sonic and teams is what pushed me away. I enjoyed Transformed on the Vita a lot, and I would've been happy to get a full console sequel to that, but the multiple IP crossover added a lot for me (someone who grew up on Sega), so dropping it was a big loss personally. I hear the team stuff is minimal, but it was still a small extra turnoff. It's a shame, I want Sumo to do well, but it just wasn't what I truly wanted and other stuff took priority. If I see it super cheap on PSN I might pick it up in case I find the time...

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I would really, really look into gameplay videos before picking it up. I did that, thought it wasn't great and still picked it up for £6 cheap on PC after craving a karter and realised it wasn't for me. I loved transformed, well most of it, the weapons could have been better. Everything could have been better with this. I didn't give it much time. Fastest uninstall, maybe I was harsh but...I was not impressed. The tracks I tried are really wide and straight. And I went into time attack first to check the later ones out before even starting the campaign. Unless you've got a young one who might enjoy being on your team in a race or something...I'd say it's not ... it's not great.

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Not every game needs DLC or post-launch support. Sometimes that's work I'd rather see go to a new physically released game.
In TSR's case the post-launch support it needed was basic bugfixes. On PC it has random crashes, framerate issues and crippling online multiplayer problems attributed to a single design flaw (allowing players to join the lobby after the race countdown ends), not to mention the absolute barebones online offering that barely even lets you join friends. Users reported and nailed down in detail what the problems were pretty shortly after launch, meanwhile Sega and Sumo went to complete radio silence, it was shameful.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
In TSR's case the post-launch support it needed was basic bugfixes. On PC it has random crashes, framerate issues and crippling online multiplayer problems attributed to a single design flaw (allowing players to join the lobby after the race countdown ends), not to mention the absolute barebones online offering that barely even lets you join friends. Users reported and nailed down in detail what the problems were pretty shortly after launch, meanwhile Sega and Sumo went to complete radio silence, it was shameful.

Exactly.

It would have been nice to get DLC characters, tracks, customization, etc. too but I would have been happy if they just fixed the damn online.

You look at the post launch support of a game like CTR and then this and it just makes you scratch your head at Sega and Sumo.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
We should've seen the writing on the wall when half of the game's tracks were taken from All Stars and one from Transformed.
They barely got given enough budget to make new tracks let alone DLC!

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.

It would have been nice to get DLC characters, tracks, customization, etc. too but I would have been happy if they just fixed the damn online.

You look at the post launch support of a game like CTR and then this and it just makes you scratch your head at Sega and Sumo.
We should've seen the writing on the wall when half of the game's tracks were taken from All Stars and one from Transformed.
They barely got given enough budget to make new tracks let alone DLC!
Yeah, meanwhile Crash gets 39 tracks to date and are actually running low on franchise characters to adapt (50 right now).

I still check the online every now and then to see who's online. I manage to get a match every 3-4 weeks (not exaggerating).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ditching Sega All-Stars was a mistake. Game is extremely boring. I sold it as quick as I could.

Oct 28, 2017
TSR was a step down from the Racing Transformed and it came out at the worst possible time which led to CTR just steamrolling the game.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Zavok is a curse, you have so many characters and this asshole keeps coming back. I would pay for DLC that replaces him with almost anyone

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Zavok is a curse, you have so many characters and this asshole keeps coming back. I would pay for DLC that replaces him with almost anyone

I would pay just to leave him out. People complained about new Sonic characters during the 2000s, but I honestly think the Deadly Six and Infinite are worse than any of the ones during that time period (Okay, maybe they're JUST below the Shadow the Hedgehog characters).

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Sonic Team aren't even the developers of this game so I really don't understand the lack of post-game content.

Oct 25, 2017
If you can go back to Transformed, by all means do so. Team Sonic Racing was okay, but it was a step back from Transformed on basically every front.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I played the first few worlds and stopped. Please bring back the Sega characters, and never ever acknowledge that Zavock exists ever again

So did it end up outselling transformed? I remember there was a big debate over that.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
It was honestly a rough deal. I was hoping the delay would mean the game would be a bit bigger in scope, but they were sure quick to insist that it wasn't going to be the case. I feel like there would've been no way to live up to Transformed without a much much larger budget and more time. That said I'm glad Metal Sonic wasn't paid DLC for the third game in a row.

People have already said it but one of the best things about the game is the soundtrack for sure, but I actually appreciated how chatty the cast was with each other. One of the weak spots of Transformed is definitely how little certain characters talk, but having them actually having unique dialogue with each other was a really cool detail.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
They had no plans. Everyone seemed to have moved on.

I'm kinda interested if now they will take their spin offs a bit more serious in that regard.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
The game kindof sucks. Most notable problems for me:

- the courses are far too long, which makes the game feel very boring. A normal race might take 5-6 minutes. Fine if you're driving around the Nurburgring in Gran Turismo, but not in a weapons-based kart racer.

- very little design appears to have been applied to either weapons balance or track hazards. Both can come upon you in succession like a ton of bricks, leading to a very staccato gameplay experience, and leaving you feeling like you have minimal control over proceedings.

- frame-pacing on PC seems atrocious, and impossible to fix with any combination of settings (G-Sync, V-Sync, presentation mode, power plan, pre-rendered frames / low latency mode - you name it, nothing can be done to fix this).

And I really like All-Stars Racing Transformed.