• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
This was marketed as a Jun Senoue/Crush 40/Tee Lopes soundtrack with a game attached to it.

They pretty much stopped talking about it after the delay until the SXSW panel 2 months before launch. CTR being released so close to it didn't help either.

Not that it really matters to me, but the idea to limit the roster to Sonic made no sense as all the most popular characters from the series were already in Transformed. No one really wants to race as three Chao or Zavok.

Last edited:

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Was a complete downgrade from racing transformed so I didn't mind. Stopped playing it after a couple days.

Mind boggling why they didn't just make Transformed 2. The first game was really good. A sequel, just bigger and more polished would have been a hit. Another example of Sega's cluelessness.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Mind boggling why they didn't just make Transformed 2. The first game was really good. A sequel, just bigger and more polished would have been a hit. Another example of Sega's cluelessness.

There's your problem. Sega ain't gonna spend that kind of money anymore, or even just spend as much as they spent on the first Transformed.

Transformed was the bigger, better sequel to ASR and to my knowledge it sold only marginally better than the original.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Even as a Sonic fan I could see it was a complete regress in quality from its predecessor. It's like if Nintendo took Smash and made a sequel with only Mario characters.

Beyond SEGA's cluelessness, it makes sense to me that this game underperformed. The original game released at a time where there was no Mario Kart on HD consoles, nor were there any alternatives such as Crash Racing. Now every system has Crash, and Mario Kart can be played on Nintendo's latest and extremely successful console. Sonic wasn't gonna stand a chance.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has played transformed multiple times on 3 different platforms, I really hope Sega's take away from the discrepancy between that games reception and transformed is "Well, people really liked the non-Sonic characters inclusive approach and we should focus on that for the next game" (knowing realistically that it will actually be "Well, people aren't interested in kart racers anymore so we'll never develop another one")

Also, the water and flight sections of transformed were its finest moments IMO - how you gonna pull that too?

Sumo please - can't you talk some sense in to them? :(

Beyond SEGA's cluelessness, it makes sense to me that this game underperformed. The original game released at a time where there was no Mario Kart on HD consoles, nor were there any alternatives such as Crash Racing. Now every system has Crash, and Mario Kart can be played on Nintendo's latest and extremely successful console. Sonic wasn't gonna stand a chance.

But SART stood on its own two feet completely independent of being a character kart racer. It is a legitimately excellent game through and through.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Focusing only on Sonic was the kiss of death for this game.
Me and several friends skipped it because of it and I'm sure that was the case for many others.
If sales were not there I'm not surprised they didn't release DLC for it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well deserved bomb.
I mean, what the actual fuck were they thinking with completely dropping the All-Stars aspect of the franchise?

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Well deserved bomb.
I mean, what the actual fuck were they thinking with completely dropping the All-Stars aspect of the franchise?
Happy to see people legitimately labasting the game for that now. Many fans were desperately defending SEGA/Sonic Team's choice to only include Sonic characters for some reason... like really? How is that a good choice?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Happy to see people legitimately labasting the game for that now. Many fans were desperately defending SEGA/Sonic Team's choice to only include Sonic characters for some reason... like really? How is that a good choice?

I don't think it was much of a choice so much as a cost cutting measure. It meant they could recycle a smaller number of themes and generally scale down the content in the game. If they were doing an 'all stars' roster, then people expect much more variety.

It's worth noting that the game was also made by Sumo Digital Nottingham, not Sumo Digital Sheffield (who made the first two Sonic Racing games). Much of the team were fresh on the project, and had not worked on the previous Sonic Racing titles.

Sumo's bigger teams in Sheffield were working on things like Crackdown and Forza Horizon at the time. Contracts which I'm sure pay much better than Sumo's relationship with Sega.

Personally I think what they should have done instead was ported Sonic Racing Transformed to modern platforms, and in the process expanded upon it with new tracks and characters.