• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did it fuck your shit up?

• Yeah it fucked my shit up

Votes: 197 55.8%
  • Nah it never bothered me

Votes: 127 36.0%
  • My shit got fucked up, but it started with another underwater thing (Clanker, Ecco, ect.)

Votes: 29 8.2%

• Total voters

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely fucked my shit up. I was so excitedly playing SM64 as like a 6-7 year old. I had just gotten the game and was running through all the levels. I jumped into Jolly Roger Bay and just started swimmin' on in, not prepared at all for what greeted me.

super-mario-64-jolly-roger-bay-eel.png

I froze. A cold chill went down my spine and stayed there. I closed my eyes, and felt my way to the power button on the console.

For YEARS I could not deal with water shit in games. I had to get help from my sister or a friend in levels like Jolly Roger, Tiny Big world with the big fish, Dire Dire Docks, and plenty of other games like Clanker's Cavern in Banjo Kazooie. I would straight up turn my back, and instruct her on what to do.

To this day I can still get uncomfortable in certain water situations in games, and certain games that are heavily based underwater such as scuba diving stuff I've generally completely avoided. I'm afraid of mass deep open bodies of water IRL, and wouldn't go scuba diving in the deep ocean for damn near anything. I always wondered if this was the actual source of that or if it was more of a coincidence.

For a long time I thought this was fairly exclusive to me, but it's pretty established now that this thing fucked with a lot of people in similar ways. Did it fuck your shit up?

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
there are two things that fucked me up from underwater levels:

- This Eel

- The first time you're swimming in the MH they introduced Lagiacrus and it shows up while you're just swimming in the peaceful water.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
God did it ever

There was an upgrade in Far Cry 3 that required me to dive deep into shark-infested waters and I was honestly paralyzed staring at the screen for a good while. It was all the fault of that eel and Clanker

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I played and beat the DS version as an elementary school child, and I honestly don't remember it. I definitely get scared easily (even moreso back then), so I'm surprised I don't remember it.

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played and beat the DS version as an elementary school child, and I honestly don't remember it. I definitely get scared easily (even moreso back then), so I'm surprised I don't remember it.

They made it a lot less horrifying in DS

maxresdefault.jpg

I was able to handle it on release even with at the time me still holding the deep fear of the original.

Something about the original one just hit all the right pressure points of unsettling. The N64's graphics in general helped with that.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread title abbreviates to

Did the eel in Super Mario 64 fuck you

on the main page.

I didn't know what to expect.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
It did scare me, but didn't leave a trauma that would've made me scared of other water levels.

The Eel wasn't the first underwater creature in games to really scare me, though. That honour goes to this dopey fella:

Commander_Keen_4_-_DOS_-_Dope_Fish.png

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
It sure did. I remember making my brother finish this level with me sitting behind the TV, lol.

Also, seeing this later didn't exactly help:
oUAuVW0.jpg

Don't you just love nightmarish things in platformers?

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I'm probably the only one who was not scared even a bit by the 64 eel, but is freaked out by Eely Mouth in Sunshine.

The 64 Eel you see in broad daylight, but in Sunshine it's all dark and you gotta make your way down with these glowing eyes looking up at you.
hqdefault.jpg

And then it has rounded human-like teeth. Round teeth make anything creepier. And you have to clean the teeth without getting eaten. Some vore fetishist designed this boss I bet.

hqdefault.jpg

Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and I'm still not over it. Had to drop the Outer Wilds recently because of it

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Hoo, yeah. I think the Sonic drowning music laid the groundwork for my water-level phobia as a kid, but this definitely cemented it. Can The Eel Come Out to Play? ended up being the last star obtained thanks to that stupid thing!

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
For me it was Bubba, I thought it was a freak of nature with it having no eyes and his mouth being a dark void that will sent you to hell if swallow. Doesn't help that he is the only enemy to be able to one hit KO you.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
mostly it just annoyed me because I knew if I didn't grab the star as soon as it emerged it was gonna take a damn while

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I was probably 8 years old when I played Mario 64 but somehow that eel was never scary to me.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This guy was definitely my nemesis as a kid. That music always got my heart racing.
latest

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope, didnt have any issue with it.

Had more issues with the Slide in the snow level and flying level on the castle tower with the winged hat due to my fear of heights.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I tend to really dislike underwater segments in first-person games. Oddly, despite its cute aesthetic, I'd argue that Minecraft has probably scared me more than most other games. Whether it's the sounds that a creeper or a spider makes, some skeleton randomly shooting an arrow at you, falling from ridiculous heights, digging in such a way that lava floods into the room or digging in such a way that water floods into the room, Minecraft has scared me a LOT.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I was 15 when I first played Super Mario 64 so no.

Now the bathtub in Eternal Darkness though...

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that I wouldn't play Mario 64 till I was an adult, no. I also doubt that it would have scared me as a kid, either.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I had a nightmare about the eel finding me at school and later avoided playing dire dire docks for a while. It does have the goat mario song tho

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
That childhood one two punch with the M64 eel and Banjo-Kazooie shark has made water levels a lifelong struggle for me.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I was scared the moment I entered Jolly Roger Bay. The atmosphere up to that point was so different by comparison. The music was beautiful, but it felt so dark and mysterious. When I saw the Eel, I didn't want anything to do with it. I was so scared of certain 3D games that I had my sister play the likes of Mario 64 and Zelda. GameCube games didn't affect me, but It took me years to get over my fear of N64 graphics and actually sit down and play the games myself. Keep in mind, it was just Mario 64 and the two Zelda games that frightened me. Everything else I played was fine. I was too scared to go outside of Kokiri Forest, not even going towards the Great Deku Tree, and I always had this haunting memory of the giant Cheep Cheep sitting in the lake outside of Peach's castle, the lake with the cannon that you fall into after exiting the Wing Cap stage, waiting for me to drop in and eat me alive. Every time I fell in, I would rush out of there as fast as possible.